• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

That's not all of them though! The point stands!

And eh, how vital are the extra summons/tails? I'd only be looking to beat TAY, not 100% it. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Arthea

As is stated, this topic is for sane FF fans, I wonder what I do here, I must be insane, I haven't liked single FF from FF11 onwards, and I don't like how FF15 basically looks to be an action game, and I didn't asked for Lighting's return. That's 10 years that I keep buying games I don't like. That's as insane as it gets, no? (><)
Actually I am contemplating on not buying glorious return. It does seem somewhat wrong though.

I will buy FFX and X-2 HD, although I dread playing Lightning dodging (irony alone makes it worth playing lol) and chokobo racing again, I kinda liked butterfly minigame though, at least first couple of times.

And believe me or not there are people who don't gate a single FF game from beginning till 11, me, for example. I still play favourites, who doesn't!

edited: I won't understand how anybody can hate 6 or 4, not even try! You've been warned.

Golbez is one of the best FF villains (here went to look for my gif of Golbez, couldn't find it, must be fate)

CorvoSol

That's not all of them though! The point stands!

And eh, how vital are the extra summons/tails? I'd only be looking to beat TAY, not 100% it. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The summons are not at all vital. I got them because I'm anal about these sorts of things. The tails, on the other hand, can be fairly useful. Namely the Red Tail (which doubles experience) and the Green Tail (which increases rare drops/facilitates getting other tails).

OF NOTE:

1)The Black Tail is the easiest tail in the game to get, since you purchase it through an expensive sidequest in Palom's chapter. So if you're willing to grind for cash in the chapter least willing to pay out, you can net a whip which is necessary to get the Call Me Queen Band and also you can get the Black Tail, which will get you the Twin Stars relic, which has more or less the same effect as a Celestriad. Combine this with the DualCast ability gained from killing Deathguise in the Lunar Depths and Palom's already high INT stat and you have a Black Mage who can dual cast Meteor for 1 MP a pop. Which is insanely broken. Or give it to Porom and have a White Mage who can basically render your party invincible.

2)The Rainbow Tail is the next easiest, since you collect the Small Tails during The Gathering Chapter and can then exchange them for one. It gives you the Limit Band, which means that whoever is equipped can deal (providing they're capable of doing this already) damage in excess of 10k.

3)Any remaining Small Tails can be used to acquire another Tail of your choosing. So if you wanted to get a Red Tail this way and say "Screw it" to the rest, this would be how to do it.

At least, I think you can trade for a Rainbow Tail and another tail.

You know after those threads yesterday then getting back to my playthrough
I started thinking about a CG move for VIII.
Call me crazy but I think I would actually rather them use touched up versions of the FMV style models than go full on Advent Children style.

jaxword

You know after those threads yesterday then getting back to my playthrough
I started thinking about a CG move for VIII.
Call me crazy but I think I would actually rather use touched up versions of the FMV style models than go full on Advent Children style.

I think there's one on youtube.

Some people have made movies out of the FF13 cutscenes, for example.

If there isn't one, you should make one!

Banzai

Has anyone tried difficulty mods for FFVII? I must say, the extra challenge is a lot of fun. I don't remember ever losing to Reno and Rude in Gongaga or actually having to use Haste and Barrier spells before, at least.
Might just have been me being underleveled, though :D

Noi

The summons are not at all vital. I got them because I'm anal about these sorts of things. The tails, on the other hand, can be fairly useful. Namely the Red Tail (which doubles experience) and the Green Tail (which increases rare drops/facilitates getting other tails).

OF NOTE:

1)The Black Tail is the easiest tail in the game to get, since you purchase it through an expensive sidequest in Palom's chapter. So if you're willing to grind for cash in the chapter least willing to pay out, you can net a whip which is necessary to get the Call Me Queen Band and also you can get the Black Tail, which will get you the Twin Stars relic, which has more or less the same effect as a Celestriad. Combine this with the DualCast ability gained from killing Deathguise in the Lunar Depths and Palom's already high INT stat and you have a Black Mage who can dual cast Meteor for 1 MP a pop. Which is insanely broken. Or give it to Porom and have a White Mage who can basically render your party invincible.

2)The Rainbow Tail is the next easiest, since you collect the Small Tails during The Gathering Chapter and can then exchange them for one. It gives you the Limit Band, which means that whoever is equipped can deal (providing they're capable of doing this already) damage in excess of 10k.

3)Any remaining Small Tails can be used to acquire another Tail of your choosing. So if you wanted to get a Red Tail this way and say "Screw it" to the rest, this would be how to do it.

At least, I think you can trade for a Rainbow Tail and another tail.

Noting all of this. Thank you! I'm already knee deep in games to play (with 9 more added a few days ago no thanks to birthday presents), but knowing this is enough to get me to add TAY PSP on my to-do list.

Wazzy

Banned
Went to Cosmo Canyon where I met Red's grandpa and found out his actual name is Nanaki. Learned about the planet, mako and life. Fought the ghosts of the Gi tribe and Red found out his father was actually a hero and was turned to stone. Really sad moment where his dad starts crying. :(

I'm now at Nibelheim exploring the Shinra mansion.

I'm heading to Vegas today so I might play a bit on the plane and drive there but I'll be taking a break while I'm actually in Vegas.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Ugh that entire thread about Final Fantasy being dead is frustrating beyond belief. It's full of so much hyperbole and overreaction's.

Apparently Final Fantasy has died multiple times. It died at VII, VIII, X, XII and XIII!

you miss XI, which was probably the greatest debacle of all, lol.

Manu

Ugh that entire thread about Final Fantasy being dead is frustrating beyond belief. It's full of so much hyperbole and overreaction's.

Apparently Final Fantasy has died multiple times. It died at VII, VIII, X, XII and XIII!

BUT THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE REASONS

I just had to laugh at a post that said "FFVI and FVII were MATURE GAMES that tackled ADULT THEMES." Nostalgia is hell of a drug.

Nerokis

I think Zero 3 is better than any X title that isn't 1, 3, or 4, which is the vast majority. And I'd mount an argument that the story at least is better than in 4.

I've been on a Mega Man kick for a month or two now, and over that time I've beaten the original Zero game, X1-3, and am now going through X4 (out of those, I had only ever played through X1). I don't know about Zero 3, but I think the first is an amazing game that more than lives up to X series' precedent. The presentation is quite charming, the dialogue (or at least localization) is a definite step up from what I've seen in earlier games, and the saber + blaster based combat is very fun and nicely done. I still don't know how I would rank all the X games I've played.

Actually I am contemplating on not buying glorious return. It does seem somewhat wrong though.

I will buy FFX and X-2 HD, although I dread playing Lightning dodging (irony alone makes it worth playing lol) and chokobo racing again, I kinda liked butterfly minigame though, at least first couple of times.

And believe me or not there are people who don't gate a single FF game from beginning till 11, me, for example. I still play favourites, who doesn't!

edited: I won't understand how anybody can hate 6 or 4, not even try! You've been warned.

I'm one of them! Although I also haven't played the first five games, nor any of the MMOs. :p I've enjoyed every FF I've played between 6 and 12, and didn't even really "hate" 13 so much as feel really disappointed by it. I picked up the DS version of 4 a couple weeks ago, and I'm actually really looking forward to playing it.

BUT THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE REASONS

I just had to laugh at a post that said "FFVI and FVII were MATURE GAMES that tackled ADULT THEMES." Nostalgia is hell of a drug.

I laughed at the 'no more sci-fi' thing myself.
So in the same discussion as people saying SE needs to learn its lesson, they want them to abandon the style of the 3 best selling(by far) in the series.

GAMERG0D

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/07/newly-arranged-music-coming-to-final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster/

baby-throwing-money-gif.gif

CorvoSol

Noting all of this. Thank you! I'm already knee deep in games to play (with 9 more added a few days ago no thanks to birthday presents), but knowing this is enough to get me to add TAY PSP on my to-do list.

The only place you should ever truly feel at the mercy of the RNG Gods in the PSP version is in Rydia's tale. You'll want to get the Mythril parts so you can rebuild Calca and Brina. They might be the worst characters in the game and you might never use them, but I mean, would you really pass up two full characters?

I'd also suggest trying at the very least to get the Adamantite from every chapter's Challenge Dungeon. It isn't as mind-numbingly slow as collecting all the treasure, but if you do it, you should have enough Adamantite to make somewhere between 2-3 suits of Adamant Armor in the final chapter. If you stumble across a Blue Tail, you can then clad a full four members of your party in super good armor.

For the most part though have fun fighting Octomammoth like four times in that game. TAY has some good points, and I liked it, but even I can't deny that that game forces you to replay some dungeons and rehash some plot points again and again.

As far as sequels go in the Final Fantasy series, its plot still isn't the worst, though.

I've been on a Mega Man kick for a month or two now, and over that time I've beaten the original Zero game, X1-3, and am now going through X4 (out of those, I had only ever played through X1). I don't know about Zero 3, but I think the first is an amazing game that more than lives up to X series' precedent. The presentation is quite charming, the dialogue (or at least localization) is a definite step up from what I've seen in earlier games, and the saber + blaster based combat is very fun and nicely done. I still don't know how I would rank all the X games I've played.

I really liked Z1, and I'm unsure where I'd rank it in the series. Like Z3> Z1=Z4 >Z2 for me. I feel like Z1 is still the hardest game in the series, with the least rewards (later games give out sweet Sword Skills and Forms/Armor), but the mere premise of making Mega Man X the main bad guy is too awesome.

But I mean, Zero 3 has it all. The best bosses in the Zero series, the introduction of Weil and the WMG that he brings with him, that amazing/holy eff how long is this fight showdown with Omega, that FINAL BATTLE against Omega, the Forms, the Sword Skills, the music. Z3 is where it is at. The only thing about it that was inferior to other games in its series was perhaps the Z-Tonfa. I kind of liked the Z-Chain more. It was still better than the Z-Knuckle, though.

jaxword

They had no reason to. Tidus' entire entry to Spira was a totally random fluke.

It's only after he does heroic things that they realize they could or should try for his sake.

They had no reason to. Tidus' entire entry to Spira was a totally random fluke.

It's only after he does heroic things that they realize they could or should try for his sake.
I mean at the end of X
Why does it hinge upon Yuna's turn saving Spira and if she wants to see him again?

jaxword

Bringing dead (well, non-alive in the first place) people back to life disrupts the natural order.

Tidus accepted his fate.

It's not specifically said WHY the Fayth changed their minds, but Yuna saving all of them from being absorbed by Shuyin probably gave them motivation to grant her wish. You could also say that Shuyin's rampage may have caused a window where the "rules" could be bent just this one time.

Bringing dead (well, non-alive in the first place) people back to life disrupts the natural order.

Tidus accepted his fate.

It's not specifically said WHY the Fayth changed their minds, but Yuna saving all of them from being absorbed by Shuyin probably gave them motivation to grant her wish. You could also say that Shuyin's rampage may have caused a window where the "rules" could be bent just this one time.
alright thanks.

CorvoSol

Tidus accepted his fate.

So basically the Fayth are a bunch of selfish jerkasses who aren't willing to help you unless you've saved the world twice from messes that they themselves more or less helped make.

Still lose out to Etro for biggest jerkass Gods in the series.

kurbaan

Banned

Golbez is one of the best FF villains (here went to look for my gif of Golbez, couldn't find it, must be fate)

That's pretty much me I've haven't played the FF3 yet and haven't finished the first 2 games but I don't hate them. I even like XI played it for years, payed so much money for it back in the day to get the PS2 HDD version and keyboard. I dont even hate XII so much even though it wasn't that great.

XIII is the only one that I actually dislike and can't even bring my self to finish and this was the game I bought a PS3 for. 10 years of that is just a little too much for me.

On a different note who agrees that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJKHFwLpg4 is one of best title theme ever!

That's pretty much me I've haven't played the FF3 yet and haven't finished the first 2 games but I don't hate them. I even like XI played it for years, payed so much money for it back in the day to get the PS2 HDD version and keyboard. I dont even hate XII so much even though it wasn't that great.

XIII is the only one that I actually dislike and can't even bring my self to finish and this was the game I bought a PS3 for. 10 years of that is just a little too much for me.

On a different note who agrees that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJKHFwLpg4 is one of best title theme ever!

But that's not Liberi Fatali...

jaxword

So basically the Fayth are a bunch of selfish jerkasses who aren't willing to help you unless you've saved the world twice from messes that they themselves more or less helped make.

Give them a break, they've been dead and in limbo for thousands and thousands of years. It wasn't until Yu Yevon's cycle religious plot was broken before they could ascend to Spira-heaven. It's not as if souls and angels in most real life religions are depicted as wish-granters.

And in the end they ended up basically saying "Yuna, thanks for keeping us from being used by Shuyin as fuel, we really DO owe you one. "

CorvoSol

Give them a break, they've been dead and in limbo for thousands and thousands of years. It wasn't until Yu Yevon's cycle religious plot was broken before they could ascend to Spira-heaven. It's not as if souls and angels in most real life religions are depicted as wish-granters.

And in the end they ended up basically saying "Yuna, thanks for keeping us from being used by Shuyin as fuel, we really DO owe you one. "

But I mean, it takes that whole second adventure for them to do that. Cuz when Tidus and company wreck Yu Yevon they're like "Deuuuuces."

But again, they're better than Etro, who basically stumbles through her job with all the drunken poise of that one dancer in FFIV's Dwarven Tavern.

"Hey this woman just kinda spent a lot of time murdering the Gods she worked for. I'll make her my new personal assistant!"

"Hey this guy has every reason to hate me and a death wish! I'll put my only weak point inside of him!"

"I know my brothers are on a quest across the universe to basically crack open my gate and kill me, so I'm going to not use any of the powers that I have in spite of not having any powers to stop them until the very last possible moment when I will use the powers I shouldn't have because I don't have any powers except that I do to save myself by basically fucking over one small girl. Forever. How could that ever come back to bite me in the butt?"

I USED to think Cosmos was capricious, negligent, and malevolent, but she's downright sympathetic compared to Etro. That said Etro might just be incompetent, but I mean, what is the deal with Minerva?

"Who do I bail out? This guy who has just basically been through hell to defeat the literal spawn of the parasite who nearly killed me and has been forced to kill his friends so he could save the world from their madness, or the rat bastard who paid me constant lip service but also basically put me in serious jeopardy? GENESIS IT IS."

Anyone got some Junction tips for VIII?
been relying too much on my GFs lately and its causing a little trouble fighting Diablos
I only currently have Quezacotl, Shiva, Leviathan, Brothers and Ifrit.
currently have 20 Curaga junctioned to Squall's HP and 100 Cura to Rinoa's.

edit: Squall is Lv35 and im just past the Fujin, Raijin fight on disc 2.

Heropon

Anyone got some Junction tips for VIII?
been relying too much on my GFs lately and its causing a little trouble fighting Diablos
I only currently have Quezacotl, Shiva, Leviathan, Brothers and Ifrit.
currently have 20 Curaga junctioned to Squall's HP and 100 Cura to Rinoa's.

For the Diablos fight junction your most powerful spells to the Magic Power stat so you can draw Gravity effectively and use it against him, and keep your HP only high enough to survive his physical attacks.

I was going to tell you to transform Tents into Curagas, but I see you don't have Siren...

I don't know how many abilities you have that transform items into spells, but I recommend you to prioritize them to get early access to certain magic to have even better stats. With those skills transform as many items you don't use into spells and junction primarily to the offensive stats and HP to end battles sooner and draw more efficiently. You can also transform your cards into items that transform into more spells.

fates

I got nostalgic over FFX (I still hate Tidus though), so I finally picked up FFX-2... 10 years late.

What I am in for? I'm not expecting any deep storytelling anything, just a sorta fun adventure with a somewhat job system (?)...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I got nostalgic over FFX (I still hate Tidus though), so I finally picked up FFX-2... 10 years late.

What I am in for? I'm not expecting any deep storytelling anything, just a sorta fun adventure with a somewhat job system (?)...

Expect Charlie's Angels and annoying anime shit and j-pop.

I guess it's a fun game.

I guess.

jaxword

You shoulda waited one more year for the HD version that's coming out soon.

Still, if you want, yes, it's a fun peppy story and a great job system.

fates

Expect Charlie's Angels

I can deal with that.

annoying anime shit

Somehow built up a tolerance to that, I blame the PS2 Tales games.

and j-pop.

Eep. Not too sure about that one.

jaxword said:
You shoulda waited one more year for the HD version that's coming out soon.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get a Vita around the holidays and I'll probably pick it up anyway (hoping for some sales and a few other games I'm interested in to come out). But the game's only costing me 14bux so I'm ok with it.

jaxword

I can deal with that.

Somehow built up a tolerance to that, I blame the PS2 Tales games.

Eep. Not too sure about that one.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get a Vita around the holidays and I'll probably pick it up anyway (hoping for some sales and a few other games I'm interested in to come out). But the game's only costing me 14bux so I'm ok with it.

I would honestly just wait for the HD release...you'll enjoy it more.

But in any case, don't listen to the "anime" and "jpop" complaints. There's exactly 2 scenes, probably 10 minutes in total, that can be considered "j pop" in the entire game. You may as well say FF6 is a boring opera with that kind of silly generalization.

Manu

Man, so many threads about FF turning to shit lately.

I hope every single person who says they want SE to make an old school, cartoony, medieval fantasy style FF bought Dimensions.

Do they even know Dimensions is a thing that happened?

jaxword

I hope every single person who says they want SE to make an old school, cartoony, medieval fantasy style FF bought Dimensions.

I say this as an oldschool fan, oldschool FF fans are basically deluding themselves. They keep thinking their childhood pleasures will return.

They don't want something new, they want something OLD. It's not even about the "old school, cartoony, medieval fantasy style". The early FFs are unplayable these days.

It's all about the childhood memories. That's what they want, and since it'll never happen, every new FF will be roasted for not achieving that. FFXV will be received the same way as every one before it. "Flashy, looks ok, but it doesn't have the HEART of (whichever game they loved first)."

And maybe some more Nomura blaming.

Manu

I say this as an oldschool fan, oldschool FF fans are basically deluding themselves. They keep thinking their childhood pleasures will return.

They don't want something new, they want something OLD. It's not even about the "old school, cartoony, medieval fantasy style". The early FFs are unplayable these days.

It's all about the childhood memories. That's what they want, and since it'll never happen, every new FF will be roasted for not achieving that. FFXV will be received the same way as every one before it. "Flashy, looks ok, but it doesn't have the HEART of (whichever game they loved first)."

And maybe some more Nomura blaming.

I know, I don't get it either.

Games like VI and VII are classic because they broke new ground, they were revolutionary at the time. But somehow making a game that looks, plays and feels like a game that was groundbreaking in 1997 is the magic solution that SE is just too stupid to see in front of their eyes. IT'S SO SIMPLE. Ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lately?

I remember back when I used to lurk, FF13 hype threads had to be closed and redone.

I didn't buy Dimensions yet because Corvo said it was unbalanced. Also it's kinda pricy.

CorvoSol

I do. The game still has a terrible art style and I haven't finished it because gil acquisition rates are terrible. Like seriously EVERY TOWN you must stop the adventure, grind for three to ten hours to have the gil necessary to purchase all the new gear, and then do it all again or face certain death. I've never bought a single tent because I cannot afford that expenditure.

Dimensions has: 1)A fun story that both mocks and pays homage to old school, cartoony, medieval FFs (my favorite being Alba and Gramps joking that they were Aerith and Cloud) 2)A decent OST you can swap between "arranged" and "old school" a la FF4DS/CC 3)A good job system a la FF5 which works and provides for a good amount of strategy considering jobs passed the base are not shared between classes and 4) a cast which covers all standard FF characters (angsty Nacht, cool older guy Aegis, arrogant douchefriend Glaive, idiot hero Sol, mysterious bishonen Dusk, perfect princess waifu Sarah, wise-cracking girlish Alba and of course the not-love interest, Diana.)

The game's problems, however, as outlined above, are these:

1)Price. 20 dollars is too much to pay for a game that still uses assets from TAY's phone version. It's not a bad game, but the payment is 5 dollars too many.

2)The art style. While perhaps not AS egregiously bad as FF5 iOS, this game does use the same art style as TAY's phone/wii version. Not that by this I do not refer to the actual official art for the game, which is actually pretty nice, but the in-game graphics, which are not on par with FFI, II, and IVCC.

3)The game's structure. The flow of the game is Grind-Town-Dungeon-Town-Grind-Dungeon-Town-Grind-Dungeon forever. The enforced grinding bloats the game considerably, and detracts from what is otherwise not that bad of a game.

4)The control scheme. While I am now very comfortable with the game's touch controls, and I think they may well be the best you can do for an RPG on a mobile phone, the other side is that they're still chump's change compared to an actual controller.

One other added bonus would be that, in spite of being a mobile phone game, this game does NOT have any of that mobage shit. It's actually a Final Fantasy that just happens to be on the phone.

Dimensions is a mixed bag for me. I want to finish it, but the game doesn't want me to do it some time before I'm thirty.

Final Fantasy X

LOLOLOLO the voice acting in this game slays me. Yuna to Tidus: "What." "Do." "You want." "Todo?"
Tidus to Yuna: "I want to scream really loud!" SCREAMS REALLY LOUD. EVEN IN THE NEXT BATTLE. LOLOLOLOLOLO Tidus and Yuna are huge dorks and made for each other. Or maybe Tidus is the first not-a-loser-member-of-the-Aurochs human guy Yuna has ever met.

Also can we talk about how absolutely stupid it is that I can't go back into a Cloister of Trials? I went too far in one, wound up outside the chamber of the Fayth and missed out on whatever treasure the Destruction Sphere coulda brought.

Noi

Spoilers but not really:
You can go back into every Cloister later. There's extra goodies to be had.

CorvoSol

Spoilers but not really:
You can go back into every Cloister later. There's extra goodies to be had.

At a later point in the game or what? Cuz I went down the elevator to go back into Kilika and jack all happened. The door was shut. It was made by the devs and the devs keep it.

jaxword

Final Fantasy X

LOLOLOLO the voice acting in this game slays me. Yuna to Tidus: "What." "Do." "You want." "Todo?"
Tidus to Yuna: "I want to scream really loud!" SCREAMS REALLY LOUD. EVEN IN THE NEXT BATTLE.

Tidus was supposed to be the total opposite of the moody Squall and Smug Cloud. I think they succeeded.

As for the voice acting...this was when the tech wasn't here yet to re-sync mouths, so the actors had a ROUGH time making their dictation fit. It was probably harder than actually doing "normal" voice work.

Top Bottom