• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Ultratech

I don't think so. Mostly just the Job System, it seems.

The Job System is the major thing added for IZJS.

But there's also a good chunk of system changes as well.

I'll rattle off a few:
-Quickenings no longer tied to MP. Now you just get more MP when you level up. Quickenings now operate off of a charge system of sorts.
-Chests respawn in an area if you zone out of it. So you can move out of a screen and back, and chests will be back (if they can respawn). Very useful, since you can get some good items this way.
-Controllable Guests and Espers!
-You can now get nearly every Gambit a short ways into the game. Very useful.
-Most Magic is now found in chests and some Magic is reclassified. (Also, Cure's now got an AoE effect.)
-No Damage Limit. (AWW YEAH)
-Fast Forward feature; basically, you hit L1 and the game goes a helluva lot faster (like 3x or faster?).

What is that and if it had to do with that BS minigame you play on the boat, then no. Because that minigame where you chase away Jecht's voice on the boat is unwinnable.

It's one of Wakka's overdrive attacks and if you line it up properly, you can do 12 consecutive attacks BUT it requires you to win lots and lots and lots of Blitzball

Natetan

What is that and if it had to do with that BS minigame you play on the boat, then no. Because that minigame where you chase away Jecht's voice on the boat is unwinnable.

No you get wakkas ultimate weapon and attack reels from blitz ball

And that game on the boat is easy! You'll get it after a try or two. Certainly better than the stupid chocobo race

CorvoSol

No you get wakkas ultimate weapon and attack reels from blitz ball

And that game on the boat is easy! You'll get it after a try or two. Certainly better than the stupid chocobo race

I can't go back and do it and screw it anyway. It puts two memories in spots that are adjacent. So when I'm mashing the down x it's like "Oh I'm sorry you didn't also mash left so you failed."

Screw that terribly designed minigame.

I guess no ladies will be passing you blitz balls then!

http://youtu.be/p-IGvNILmcY

That's almost as embarrassing as the time this happened.

sroNeDG.gif

Sharpshooter my ass.

aravuus

What were the notable rewards from Blitzball again? I had kind of forgotten all about it, the only reason I ever touched the minigame in FFX was because I had an action replay disc with a "win every match" cheat. Hate that minigame so much.

Labadal

Wasn't it Wakkas ultimate weapon?

I don't know how many hours I spent with Blitzball. I remember hearing the music play in my head for at least a couple of days after I stopped playing.

What were the notable rewards from Blitzball again? I had kind of forgotten all about it, the only reason I ever touched the minigame in FFX was because I had an action replay disc with a "win every match" cheat. Hate that minigame so much.

All of Wakka's Overdrives (even though Attack Reels is the only good one - seriously, the Aurochs Reels is probably his *worst* Overdrive), the sigil for his Celestial Weapon (Jupiter, I think?), and you can win some decent Stat+4 spheres.

aravuus

All of Wakka's Overdrives (even though Attack Reels is the only good one - seriously, the Aurochs Reels is probably his *worst* Overdrive), the sigil for his Celestial Weapon (Jupiter, I think?), and you can win some decent Stat+4 spheres.

So I probably will be playing blitzball in HD since I'm aiming for if not 100%, at least close.. Oh well.

Or I just abandon the idea when I get to the thunder plains.

CorvoSol

Let's pretend the orphanage scene never happened.

I have no idea what you mean. The scene where we see Squall definitely alone in an orphanage and where Zell callously mentions how grateful he is to have been raised by his definitely biological parents? That same scene where Quistis is still pining for Squall and certainly not suddenly handwaved out of her feelings by saying they were like siblings?

That's the only orphanage scene I remember.

I guess no ladies will be passing you blitz balls then!

http://youtu.be/p-IGvNILmcY

What did I even watch here?

I kinda thought it was okay. The tutorial is horrible and doesn't tell you what you're doing at all, but compared to shitty minigames like Chocobo Hot and Cold and X's Unwinnable Chocobo Races, Blitzball isn't that bad. It just needed better music, really.

I have no idea what you mean. The scene where we see Squall definitely alone in an orphanage and where Zell callously mentions how grateful he is to have been raised by his definitely biological parents? That same scene where Quistis is still pining for Squall and certainly not suddenly handwaved out of her feelings by saying they were like siblings?

That's the only orphanage scene I remember.

Yeah that one was pretty good.

That's definitely the scene they wrote.

>_>

<_<

CorvoSol

Yeah that one was pretty good.

That's definitely the scene they wrote.

>_>

<_<

It's right up there with the scene at the end of Final Fantasy XIII where the party's L'Cie curse is resolved in a straightforward manner and the game's ending flows naturally from there. Or in XIII-2 where
you save the world and the Lightning saga concludes in a satisfactory, totally not bullshit way.

aravuus

I kinda thought it was okay. The tutorial is horrible and doesn't tell you what you're doing at all, but compared to shitty minigames like Chocobo Hot and Cold and X's Unwinnable Chocobo Races, Blitzball isn't that bad. It just needed better music, really.

And I thought Hot and Cold was alright :lol
I totally understand why someone would hate it though, it's repetitive as fuck. But yeah, part of why I dislike Blitzball is probably the fact that most of the time I had no idea what I was doing.

CorvoSol

And I thought Hot and Cold was alright :lol
I totally understand why someone would hate it though, it's repetitive as fuck. But yeah, part of why I dislike Blitzball is probably the fact that most of the time I had no idea what I was doing.

Oh I definitely agree. The tutorial is terrible, absolutely deplorable. Like it's like "to switch movement modes hit square!" What it doesn't mention is that if I hit square when four opponents are nearby, I trigger an encounter and lose the ball almost assuredly.

Still, winning the game for Wakka was a good feeling. Certainly a better feeling than anything I ever had playing Chocobo Shit and Hold.

CorvoSol

Whether he sinks the basket depends on how well you are playing FF8.

No, I'm serious. He sinks it if you've had 200+ victories.

Either way Irvine is still the worst character in FF8 by a long shot. A long shot he wouldn't even fire because he's a wuss.

After finishing VIII for the first time in a long time and still paying attention to every bit of dialog.
I still like the Rinoa = Ultimecia thing, It just fits the game so well imo.
I know its not true and has holes but man do I wish it was true.

Selphie is worse.
Whats wrong with her?
Irvine & Zell are both worse characters, though Selphie and Quistis make up for it.

CorvoSol

Selphie is worse.

See, this is another case of where I don't agree with you. Irvine is the worst and no one is worse than Irvine. Guy can't even do his damn job. At least Selphie doesn't hide the fact that she's a dopey teenager.

Final Fantasy XII IZJ

So Vaan's design is still the worst MC design in the mainline series. Worst overall is probably either Luso or Serah (that stupid dress of hers what even). That said, so far his character doesn't really annoy me. Mostly because I'm pretending that like Reks, Vaan is just a special introduction to the world and the true main character, Basch, will be coming soon.

That said, this game really is amazing, especially compared to its successor. Fullscale city maps populated with NPCs, dialogue that doesn't make me want to gut-punch the writer, the battle system is growing on me, and the sheer amount of customization I can do for my character is spectacular.

At this point, the only things in XIII I find more aesthetically pleasing than in XII are:

1)Select character designs, namely Lightning and Fang.
2)Environments. XII runs off of too much Real is Brown and XIII had a good use of color
3)Music. XII's OST has never been good to me. It feels like it tries to capture FFT's and FFTA's, but falls short of that and winds up feeling derivative and, well, not so hot.

Playing XII has rekindled a faith in the series and in XV that I had hoped to suppress.

Shadow780

Whether he sinks the basket depends on how well you are playing FF8.

No, I'm serious. He sinks it if you've had 200+ victories.

mindblown.gif

Really this is the stuff I missed about earlier FFs, so much winks and small things that I didn't know about.

See, this is another case of where I don't agree with you. Irvine is the worst and no one is worse than Irvine. Guy can't even do his damn job. At least Selphie doesn't hide the fact that she's a dopey teenager.

Final Fantasy XII IZJ

So Vaan's design is still the worst MC design in the mainline series. Worst overall is probably either Luso or Serah (that stupid dress of hers what even). That said, so far his character doesn't really annoy me. Mostly because I'm pretending that like Reks, Vaan is just a special introduction to the world and the true main character, Basch, will be coming soon.

That said, this game really is amazing, especially compared to its successor. Fullscale city maps populated with NPCs, dialogue that doesn't make me want to gut-punch the writer, the battle system is growing on me, and the sheer amount of customization I can do for my character is spectacular.

At this point, the only things in XIII I find more aesthetically pleasing than in XII are:

1)Select character designs, namely Lightning and Fang.
2)Environments. XII runs off of too much Real is Brown and XIII had a good use of color
3)Music. XII's OST has never been good to me. It feels like it tries to capture FFT's and FFTA's, but falls short of that and winds up feeling derivative and, well, not so hot.

Playing XII has rekindled a faith in the series and in XV that I had hoped to suppress.

I agree, XII doesn't have a huge variety of settings either. I understand it's mainly in the desert but to often the areas just look really drab and boring...though I still love them much more over XIII.

And guys Rinoa is the worst of FF8.

I'm sorry but in a game full of teenagers, she acts just like a stupid teenage girl...who just happens to be one of the most powerful people on the planet...just a bad bad combo. Why would I want to have her in the group?
That isn't until what, about 60+%into the game?
Her acting like a teenager is a good contrast to Squall who despite his emotional/personality trouble is in an extremely adult role(as are the rest of the SeeD group.)

jaxword

I'm sorry but in a game full of teenagers, she acts just like a stupid teenage girl...who just happens to be one of the most powerful people on the planet...just a bad bad combo. Why would I want to have her in the group?

I'm confused, are you talking about FF8 or FF6?

Or FF9?

Or FFX or FFX-2 or FF5 or FF2 or every jrpg ever?

Why wouldn't you want her in the group? And shit, it isn't like Squall or Seifer deserve better in a girl anyway. Horny Teenage Morons With Weapons in love: The game.

That isn't until what, about 60+%into the game?
Her acting like a teenager is a good contrast to Squall who despite his emotional/personality trouble is in an extremely adult role(as are the rest of the SeeD group.)

It may be a contrast but I feel it wasn't a good contrast and she just rubbed me the wrong way.

Or FF9?

I have played a lot of RPG's and Rinoa is the one who just stands out to me as just being the worst to deal with. I imagine it won't be the same for others.

Why wouldn't you want her in the group? And shit, it isn't like Squall or Seifer deserve better in a girl anyway. Horny Teenage Morons With Weapons in love: The game.

I found Selphie and Zell's antics far more endearing and hilarious than Rinoa. Squall doesn't need a girl, I was happy with him just connecting better with the other SeeD members.

CorvoSol

I agree, XII doesn't have a huge variety of settings either. I understand it's mainly in the desert but to often the areas just look really drab and boring...though I still love them much more over XIII.

And guys Rinoa is the worst of FF8.

XIII was prettier, I just wish it had been, you know, as good as XII is.

Or FF9?

Hey hey hey. Terra behaved like a perfect super saiyan giant robot piloting god slaying waifu post Zozo and I am fine with that.

Also Terra may or may not continue to be one of the most broken sounding protagonists in the series. She might not be like FF1's Warrior of Light who Duodecim retconed into being
the Son of/Clone of God,
but girl was an ace mech pilot, killed Gods, and also could go SSJ3.

It may be a contrast but I feel it wasn't a good contrast and she just rubbed me the wrong way.

I have played a lot of RPG's and Rinoa is the one who just stands out to me as just being the worst to deal with. I imagine it won't be the same for others.

I found Selphie and Zell's antics far more endearing and hilarious than Rinoa. Squall doesn't need a girl, I was happy with him just connecting better with the other SeeD members.
I'd agree, but Love That Transcends Time And Space is FFVIII's whole thing in the end. Even if it doesn't become that until the end.

Sure, they did it better two games later, but those were some pretty FMV's with the flower petals and running into each others arms through grassy fields, right?

I'd agree, but Love That Transcends Time And Space is FFVIII's whole thing in the end. Even if it doesn't become that until the end.

Sure, they did it better two games later, but those were some pretty FMV's with the flower petals and running into each others arms through grassy fields, right?

I guess.

Needed more war scenarios though.

And waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy less Rinoa.

Well those FMV's were nice I admit...

I guess.

Needed more war scenarios though.

And waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy less Rinoa.

As annoying as Rinoa was, I think she is the template for the modern FF heroine (barring the pink haired evil). I see parts of her that matured into Yuna, I see parts of her that became Ashe, even Serah. Same with Yuffie --> Selphie ---> Rikku ---> Penelo.

Quistis needs a successor. I hope it's the lady in my avatar.

CorvoSol

As annoying as Rinoa was, I think she is the template for the modern FF heroine (barring the pink haired evil). I see parts of her that matured into Yuna, I see parts of her that became Ashe, even Serah. Same with Yuffie --> Selphie ---> Rikku ---> Penelo.

Quistis needs a successor. I hope it's the lady in my avatar.

I thought that Yuffie line was just the natural progression since IV. As in Porom-->[REDACTED]-->Relm-->Yuffie-->Selphie-->Rikku-->Prishe-->Penelo-->Vanille.

Like, it's been a thing for awhile to have the precocious "younger girl" member of the party.

I thought that Yuffie line was just the natural progression since IV. As in Porom-->[REDACTED]-->Relm-->Yuffie-->Selphie-->Rikku-->Prishe-->Penelo-->Vanille.

Like, it's been a thing for awhile to have the precocious "younger girl" member of the party.

Why you hate Krile.

Is it because she's a lesbian?

Don't make me take you to Kriletown.

504f87d3e4b07b6784d05c43

Porom creeps me out so I'm going to ignore her but yeah, it's FF tradition. FFVII was the start of THE BIG TIME for most of the characters so I started there.

fates

Vaan is FF12 is pretty much the embodiment of "just kinda there". As such, he really doesn't detract from the narrative. I just wish you didn't have to run around as him in towns, or I wish he had his FFTA2 look instead.

Top Bottom