• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

At a later point in the game or what? Cuz I went down the elevator to go back into Kilika and jack all happened. The door was shut. It was made by the devs and the devs keep it.

Later point in the game! You'll probably know exactly when.

CorvoSol

Tidus was supposed to be the total opposite of the moody Squall and Smug Cloud. I think they succeeded.

As for the voice acting...this was when the tech wasn't here yet to re-sync mouths, so the actors had a ROUGH time making their dictation fit. It was probably harder than actually doing "normal" voice work.

Oh yes, Tidus comes off as neither Cloud's smug self nor Squall's moody self. I mean, Tidus has a big ego, but he's more of a classic idiot hero than that.

Later point in the game! You'll probably know exactly when.

Kay then.

fates

Do they even know Dimensions is a thing that happened?

I doubt it. But I wouldn't blame them, what with being a mobile game and all.

Games like VI and VII are classic because they broke new ground, they were revolutionary at the time. But somehow making a game that looks, plays and feels like a game that was groundbreaking in 1997 is the magic solution that SE is just too stupid to see in front of their eyes.

That's what they want, but that mindset won't create those games. People have to remember those games were made to be something new at the time, they didn't make Final Fantasy VI by saying "hey let's try to make something like our NES games!" You won't make memorable titles for now if you keep trying to make memorable titles from yesterday.

But on the same token... FF13 probably wasn't the right idea either. There's some t

Manu

That's what they want, but that mindset won't create those games. People have to remember those games were made to be something new at the time, they didn't make Final Fantasy VI by saying "hey let's try to make something like our NES games!" You won't make memorable titles for now if you keep trying to make memorable titles from yesterday.

Yeah, that was actually my point.

Noi

On the flip-side, Lightning Returns is the total opposite of that mindset. Every time more "news" comes out for it, I can only shake my head as I see SE basically checkmarking every box for "other successful and loved games have this so we should have it too" feature instead of attempting something original. That's of course without getting into pulling a complete 180 with the main character's personality as established in the two other games she was in and all the creepy pandering with shit like admitting that the game's director requested an increase in bust size.

I know, I don't get it either.

Games like VI and VII are classic because they broke new ground, they were revolutionary at the time. But somehow making a game that looks, plays and feels like a game that was groundbreaking in 1997 is the magic solution that SE is just too stupid to see in front of their eyes. IT'S SO SIMPLE. Ugh.

This is what I have been saying.

Fans are idiots, never listen to them, they don't know what they want. I remember in the OXM review of FFXIII-2 the reviewer made a very apt quote: "Don't listen to us Square. We don't know what we actually want! We re the type of people that get passionate about Japanese role-playing games and for that reason alone we should be completely ignored!"

What we need is someone with a vision, and I mean a grand, respectable vision, to come in and wow us again, not by endlessly repeating the standards already set by predecessors, but by breaking new ground and doing something truly new and unique. Listening to the fans won't give you that, if you listen to them you'll copy and paste things from previous games instead of learning from previous games to guide, not dictate, your own vision. This is why they should be ignored. I didn't have to tell anyone how to make FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, Suikoden, Legend of Legaia or any other JRPG I love.

They did it themselves.

CorvoSol

I don't care one bit for LR but the constant negativity is getting old.

I don't know, I think I'm okay with the constant negativity, because no matter how good the game might turn out to be, it shows how tired of the hijinks surrounding it the consumers have become. Square Enix has generated a lot of ill will this generation, and if one good game suffers injustly because of that, then I think that'll drive home the point of how wrong it was that a game of XIII's pathetic caliber did so well. If a point is being made from all of this, I'm fine with it.

What I'm not fine with is that TWEWY hasn't happened yet and that if it ever did it wouldn't be on a dedicated hand held. Also that Type-0 is like, never coming here for absolutely no good reason. That just blows my mind. I get that the PSP died by the time Type-0 could have come out, but at this point not even a word of "PSV" or "3DS port" or even "PS3 port" goes beyond the "no viable area to sell this product" and moves into "Square doesn't give a fuck."

That said, I have to ask: am I the only person on GAF who has played Final Fantasy Dimensions? Even if I am, though, I think it would be more fair to say that everyone who wants a cartoony, old school style FF ought to have purchased or be planning to purchase Four Heroes of Light/ Bravely Default respectively. Because those are likely more in line with what people are talking about in terms of appearance and platform than Dimensions, even if Dimensions is more in line with what it sounds like people want mechanically.

jaxword

Yeah, I kind of wonder if people plan to do the same thing in 10 years, saying the exact same things, complaining that FF17 is the worst ever and not like the quality ones of their long-long gone childhood...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That said, I have to ask: am I the only person on GAF who has played Final Fantasy Dimensions? Even if I am, though, I think it would be more fair to say that everyone who wants a cartoony, old school style FF ought to have purchased or be planning to purchase Four Heroes of Light/ Bravely Default respectively. Because those are likely more in line with what people are talking about in terms of appearance and platform than Dimensions, even if Dimensions is more in line with what it sounds like people want mechanically.
There was an OT for it.

I don't know, I think I'm okay with the constant negativity, because no matter how good the game might turn out to be, it shows how tired of the hijinks surrounding it the consumers have become. Square Enix has generated a lot of ill will this generation, and if one good game suffers injustly because of that, then I think that'll drive home the point of how wrong it was that a game of XIII's pathetic caliber did so well. If a point is being made from all of this, I'm fine with it.

What I'm not fine with is that TWEWY hasn't happened yet and that if it ever did it wouldn't be on a dedicated hand held. Also that Type-0 is like, never coming here for absolutely no good reason. That just blows my mind. I get that the PSP died by the time Type-0 could have come out, but at this point not even a word of "PSV" or "3DS port" or even "PS3 port" goes beyond the "no viable area to sell this product" and moves into "Square doesn't give a fuck."

Type 0 not coming here is a tragedy, it looked like it would be so much fun too...ugh, thanks a lot Squeenix. As for TWEWY...I'm not sure I want them in their current state to touch that game...maybe when they've been hit with the bat of competency...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, yeah. I should probably import that sometime.

I dunno. The whole thing about the game being unbalanced like the demo, the shitty RTS segments, having to play the game twice to get the full story, towns just being hubs for sidequests, a bunch of inane endgame stuff, the overworld being kind of crummy, etc. ended up making me put it on the lower side of my import list, to be honest. :/

Like, I'm sure it has stuff that people like in FF, but it's all of a matter of cohesion and balancing, here. And Corvo's probably going to post something lengthy with respect to how much he likes Type-0, but alas, I haven't played it outside of both of the demos they released for it, so I can't exactly refute anything, lol.

Edit: To be fair to the game, it looks like the reception to it was mixed.

Well my VIII playthrough is going well again so far.
Drew for the entire time against Odin, then beat him before the final minute was up(thank god for the Lionheart finisher) Got more than 100 triples.
Then I went and got Tonberry.

Negativity is by now a constant for this series, and it cannot be cancelled. Even if FF XV, or FF XVI turn out to be great FFs, there will always be negativity. Sometimes I have the feeling that many people want FF to fall rather than to be great again.

Manu

Negativity is by now a constant for this series, and it cannot be cancelled. Even if FF XV, or FF XVI turn out to be great FFs, there will always be negativity. Sometimes I have the feeling that many people want FF to fall rather than to be great again.

Final Fantasy is one of those series where nostalgia plays a big part in your appreciation of the older entries. Look at how many people claim Advent Children "ruined" FFVII for them. Well guess what, I played FFVII for the first time this year and watched AC a week later, and the writing and storytelling were pretty much the same quality. But somebody watching the movie 10 years after playing the game and having this nostalgia fueled idea of it being a high point of video game storytelling? Yeah, I can see why they'd say it sucks.

CorvoSol

And I posted on the first page of that. Wow, I don't even remember that. Ah, well, I still feel like the only one who's played it.

Type 0 not coming here is a tragedy, it looked like it would be so much fun too...ugh, thanks a lot Squeenix. As for TWEWY...I'm not sure I want them in their current state to touch that game...maybe when they've been hit with the bat of competency...

At least we're getting Bravely Default.

Oh, yeah. I should probably import that sometime.

I dunno. The whole thing about the game being unbalanced like the demo, the shitty RTS segments, having to play the game twice to get the full story, towns just being hubs for sidequests, a bunch of inane endgame stuff, the overworld being kind of crummy, etc. ended up making me put it on the lower side of my import list, to be honest. :/

Like, I'm sure it has stuff that people like in FF, but it's all of a matter of cohesion and balancing, here. And Corvo's probably going to post something lengthy with respect to how much he likes Type-0, but alas, I haven't played it outside of both of the demos they released for it, so I can't exactly refute anything, lol.

Edit: To be fair to the game, it looks like the reception to it was mixed.

My secret hope is that the reason the game hasn't been released yet is because they're sorting out the end game's kinks. Beyond that, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, yeah, the RTS segments were bad, but I already don't like RTS so it didn't matter.

Everything else felt fine to me, though. Battle system is an evolution of Crisis Core's, big ol' party (even if grinding them up is a pain), decent level of challenge in some places, overworld isn't as good as 9's, but it isn't bad, either,
final boss is a dud, but other boss fights are awesome

The game's not perfect, but some of the stuff I've seen lodged against the game is stupid and idiotic as far as complaints go. Namely that "I hate Type-0 and Type-0 hates me" video.

It's still the best game to come out of the FNC so far, and a solid game besides that.

I had meant to not post anything long here to spite you, Schala, but then I wound up saying too much anyway.

So once more for reiteration's sake: it's not the best Final Fantasy ever, but it is a great game. Definitely one of my favorites, too.

EDIT: since I've already said more than I meant, here are some more thoughts on it. I mean I gave Dimensions this run down, so I'll do it with Type-0, too.

So here are Type-0's cons:

-Just as you can see with LR, it feels at times that things were included as a sort of checklist. Tabata went down it and said "what goes in a perfect Final Fantasy?" and checked it off. In this sense, the towns, world map, and airship all feel somewhat secondary to a mission-based game the likes of Crisis Core. This is a bit of a mixed bag I'll discuss further down.
-Towns are small and largely identical. Although the player is treated to levels that take place in towns in Rubrum, Milites and Concordia, when actually entering these towns from the world map, they are, as Schala put, more or less a hub. Sort of like how XIII reduced all town functions to a Save Point, but expanded to a screen with several NPCs. Which, I mean, that's what old towns were but still can be disappointing.
-The World map is one continent long and while there are dungeons and neat places you can stumble across as you explore (valley of Marlboros, the volcano, an entired ruined kingdom), at the same time there's no escaping that the thing does feel fairly barren. Mostly, again, because there is only one continent in the entire game.
-The airship is a secondary function which serves as a minigame while also fulfilling the primary function of an airship. The sidequest to get it is fun, but the thing is still a secondary item that you don't need and can completely miss.
-The RTS segments are poorly implemented, and as someone who doesn't like or play RTSes, its still fairly obvious. Cinematically, they're kind of nifty because they let you see wars actually happening and let you participate in them, but they're still kind of crummy.
-There are several scripted boss fights, like in any FF. Unfortunately this list includes
the final boss
which is fairly disappointing.
-The game's finale is sort of disconjointed and would have benefited from some cohesion and expansion. Specifically
the entire Time of Finis is compressed to the final dungeon and several awesome moments happen basically off-screen. The game's True Ending or Third Ending has to be viewed from the game's Theater option. It doesn't play all of its associated build up and scenes automatically as an ending. You have to put it together yourself, and that's a bit of a bummer.
-There's no shared EXP pool so the game suffers the same building up issues that FFVI did. Especially since your cast is the same size.
-No going back to areas where missions took place. So you cannot return to explore any of the game's major dungeons.

That's everything off the top of my head. Here are, in my opinion, the game's positives:
-A cast of 14 playable characters, each with a unique playstyle. All of them fully customizable, too.
-A battle system that is a logical and enjoyable if somewhat unrefined progression from Crisis Core.
-A world map, airship, towns, and a chocobo system, albeit with the above issues.
-A well presented story with great visuals, a hell of a lot of voice acting (can't give you quality 'cuz it is in Japanese so I can't judge), an incredible score, and some memorable scenes.
-Replay bonuses (I actually liked the "only get the other ending on a subsequent playthrough" bit) like Superbosses and a super hard bonus dungeon.
-While some of it feels phoned in to make it feel old school, I also feel like those efforts, however phoned in, were executed decently enough, and at times it seems that Tabata genuinely cared about recreating that feeling.

I know the pros don't look like they out number the cons, but I consider many of them of basic importance over the cons, and have played the game through multiple times. I really liked it, but I see why some would find complaint or issue with parts of it.

Heropon

I know people like challenging games over here but I'm thankful status effects are pretty harmless in Final Fantasy overall. In other words: Fuck mushroomized.

Thanks for the review...some of the cons seem a tad troubling like the non shared exp pool and being unable to return to some older dungeons but the pros have me intrigued. Replay bonuses are always a plus, especially super boss and bonus areas, I always check those out when I play a RPG...I usually beat them too so any additional challenge is welcome!

fates

Fans are idiots, never listen to them

It's not the fans are idiots, it's that people are different and there is literally no way to make them happy. Add to that the fact that the negative voices are always the loudest and you'll feel as though you've pleased no one regardless. So yes, you shouldn't listen to fans because your bound to upset others anyway.

Of course, that's about game designs. When you've got legions of fans practically holding a wad of cash asking you to bring over a game and you continually refuse and instead try to convince them to buy something else (yes, I'm referring to that "Tomb Raider is just like FF, CT, Secret of Mana!!!!" debacle... that was so frustratingly patronizing it was ridiculous) instead.

Noi

I haven't played Dimensions because:

9423829413_cdc147c9c7_z.jpg

And no form of Demo to try it out before I commit like the iOS version does. I'll save my money for other companies that actually try.

CorvoSol

I haven't played Dimensions because:

9423829413_cdc147c9c7_z.jpg

And no form of Demo to try it out before I commit like the iOS version does. I'll save my money for other companies that actually try.

Are you referring to the price or Android compatability? Cuz I have a droid phone and it seems to run fine on it. If the price then yeah, I only bought it cuz I had 20 bucks of google play store to spend.

fates

100,000+ downloads for an Android FF title... I'm starting to see why companies are so crazy about going this route. But still, ugh. I just can't fathom playing a full-on game like that on my phone, but I guess that mindset is a minority now?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it's not just for phones. It's for tablets too.

It was going to be the first game I was going to download for my Nexus 7 until I saw the price and no demo like the iOS version. I truly would've appreciated a demo prior to buying the thing.

But nah. First game I downloaded ended up being Sonic 1: Taxman Edition, haha.

jaxword

100,000+ downloads for an Android FF title... I'm starting to see why companies are so crazy about going this route. But still, ugh. I just can't fathom playing a full-on game like that on my phone, but I guess that mindset is a minority now?

Yeah. I don't like the idea of phone/tablet FFs from now on...but that's also the reality of how the video game market is going. S-E is not the only company that is going down this road.

CorvoSol

So Yoshitaka Amano goes into a bar and draws Golbez

and Cthulu loses his mind. I mean what is this? I see like, Cagnazzo back there, and a demon door, but on the left there's this blob next to a lady in a one piece and its face is just like "OH MY GOD GOLBEZ IS SO COOL."

fates

So Yoshitaka Amano goes into a bar and draws Golbez

and Cthulu loses his mind. I mean what is this? I see like, Cagnazzo back there, and a demon door, but on the left there's this blob next to a lady in a one piece and its face is just like "OH MY GOD GOLBEZ IS SO COOL."

I think that blob lady 9 boobs...

Only if you remember a boss from FF4 that was covered in teats.

That could be a nightmare version of Hecteyes...even though that never appears in IV, lol.

Last time I saw an enemy like that was the art for Eve in Parasite Eve...ewwwwwww, bad memories flooding back now ugh.

fates

Last time I saw an enemy like that was the art for Eve in Parasite Eve...ewwwwwww, bad memories flooding back now ugh.

Stay away from Shin Megami Tensei designs then, boobs are only the beginning for that franchise.

Also I started to play FFX-2. The battle system is just plain fun. The game seems so cheesy too, I like it so far. I like games that don't take themselves seriously, sometimes.

CorvoSol

That could be a nightmare version of Hecteyes...even though that never appears in IV, lol.

There's a blob enemy in TAY called Hecteyes, I think. It doesn't look like that.

Also I'm considering playing XII:IZJS. I played part of the opening of XII today and it was a lot better than I remembered. My one complaint is that I really wish Basch had been the MC.

Stay away from Shin Megami Tensei designs then, boobs are only the beginning for that franchise.

Also I started to play FFX-2. The battle system is just plain fun. The game seems so cheesy too, I like it so far. I like games that don't take themselves seriously, sometimes.

It's gonna be tough to top what I saw in Parasite Eve but eh, I'm not sure I want to see now lol.

There's a blob enemy in TAY called Hecteyes, I think. It doesn't look like that.

Also I'm considering playing XII:IZJS. I played part of the opening of XII today and it was a lot better than I remembered. My one complaint is that I really wish Basch had been the MC.

I'm good with Basch being the main guy, so long as they give him a better outfit...like seriously what the hell? That also reminds me we need that version over here. Does it add anymore super bosses?

CorvoSol

It's gonna be tough to top what I saw in Parasite Eve but eh, I'm not sure I want to see now lol.

I'm good with Basch being the main guy, so long as they give him a better outfit...like seriously what the hell? That also reminds me we need that version over here. Does it add anymore super bosses?

I don't think so. Mostly just the Job System, it seems.

CorvoSol

Hmmm...well I can't hate on the addition of the Job system, it's always pretty cool. We could use another game in the vein of V.

Dimensions is the one that's in the vein of V. IZJS has 12 jobs and you get to pick like, 1 per party member. So if I choose to make Basch a Ninja, a Ninja he stays.

Dimensions is the one that's in the vein of V. IZJS has 12 jobs and you get to pick like, 1 per party member. So if I choose to make Basch a Ninja, a Ninja he stays.

Oh...hmmm, makes for a more interesting game that way. Any unconventional jobs or just your regular ones? Hopefully they aren't as tough to max out like V.

Man I just cant get a break on VIII.
Have 100 Cura junctioned to Rinoa, go to a 2 second Laguna scene and now they are gone. none of my characters have them.

CorvoSol

The classes are White Mage, Uhlan, Machinist, Red Mage, Knight, Monk, Time Mage, Breaker, Archer, Black Mage, Mononofu and Shikari.

Uhlan is like a Dragoon/Dark Knight Hybrid minus the Jump command. Breaker is like a Berserker you can control, Mononofu are Samurai and Shikari are Ninja.

Dark_castle

Man I just cant get a break on VIII.
Have 100 Cura junctioned to Rinoa, go to a 2 second Laguna scene and now they are gone. none of my characters have them.

Was it at a forest before going to Galbadia Garden? That's because Laguna and co. junction's are based on certain characters in main party. Squall, Selphie and Quistis at the forest I think.

BasilZero

Was so tempted to get FFTactics on iOS...

Anyways, decided to get out my PSX copy and play it all over again.

I'm already at the end of Chapter 4 and almost done collecting all of the extra characters.

Only extra character I need to get now is
Cloud

I should play the remake some time in the future lol.

Top Bottom