• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

Vaan essentially gets the whole plot kickstarted with him interrupting what otherwise would have been an ordinary heist for Balthier and Fran and insisting on freeing Basch from prison. Other than that yeah, he really doesn't do all that much.

CorvoSol

Why you hate Krile.

Is it because she's a lesbian?

Don't make me take you to Kriletown.

504f87d3e4b07b6784d05c43

Krile being a lesbian is just her aping Faris' crossdressing. When Krile does something original maybe I won't think she's the single worst female character in the entire series.

Porom creeps me out so I'm going to ignore her but yeah, it's FF tradition. FFVII was the start of THE BIG TIME for most of the characters so I started there.

How does Porom creep you out? Pink Porom from TAY is waifu material.

Vaan is FF12 is pretty much the embodiment of "just kinda there". As such, he really doesn't detract from the narrative. I just wish you didn't have to run around as him in towns, or I wish he had his FFTA2 look instead.

I wish Vaan had been the MC of TA2. Maybe then that game wouldn't have been so horrible.

Vaan essentially gets the whole plot kickstarted with him interrupting what otherwise would have been an ordinary heist for Balthier and Fran and insisting on freeing Basch from prison. Other than that yeah, he really doesn't do all that much.

Rydia causes an explosion that severs Cecil's contact with Baron, but she ain't no MC. I mean, Vaan isn't as hateworthy as I remember, especially not with shit like Snow and Hope, but the dude doesn't come into his own until after this game.

I thought that Yuffie line was just the natural progression since IV. As in Porom-->[REDACTED]-->Relm-->Yuffie-->Selphie-->Rikku-->Prishe-->Penelo-->Vanille.

Like, it's been a thing for awhile to have the precocious "younger girl" member of the party.
Oh god,
that might be more like regression

Noi

Rydia causes an explosion that severs Cecil's contact with Baron, but she ain't no MC. I mean, Vaan isn't as hateworthy as I remember, especially not with shit like Snow and Hope, but the dude doesn't come into his own until after this game.

I do not disagree with you! As far as I'm concerned, he's "the guy in the middle of the cover", though technically, Basch is sharing the spotlight with him and Penelo.

bUTqz4T.jpg

You may as well say that all 3 of those are the MCs!

Natetan

I dont think any of the characters in FFXII are that bad really. They made all of them come across pretty normal.

I dont think there is a main character in FFXII. You start as Terra in FFVI, but is she the main character? Not really.

Vaan is even less important than Terra, but I kind of like the idea of starting the game as a minor character and being introduced to the rest of the more important people. Besides, it gives the game an excuse to explain things to you. IN FFX it was because Tidus was an outsider. FF6 was because amnesia, etc.

I actually didn't have much of an issue with Vaan, sure he was kinda boring compared to the others but he wasn't as offensive or as annoying as other characters.

And he had the best stats in the game by far, can't go wrong there. Just give that guy a better outfit!

How does Porom creep you out? Pink Porom from TAY is waifu material.
Her character design is unsettling to me, and her outfit is dumb (but this is final fantasy so the latter can be excused)

Unless there's some massive FF5 extrapolation going on here, you may have mistyped Vanille or Fang here.

Why SE didn't just make that canon is beyond my comprehension. They surely made a better couple than Snow and Serah

jaxword

Why SE didn't just make that canon is beyond my comprehension. They surely made a better couple than Snow and Serah

It seems pretty canon already, Fang's very obviously physical with her all the time.

If Fang were male, there would be zero ambiguity; it's just people being weird about gay issues that make people want to question it.

It seems pretty canon already, Fang's very obviously physical with her all the time.

If Fang were male, there would be zero ambiguity; it's just people being weird about gay issues that make people want to question it.

I agree. It's really annoying though, to see people talk around it or act like it was subtle. I wish they just put it out there. I heard somewhere once that SE considers it a "very close friendship" but I've never seen a statement like that myself.

jaxword

Well, remember there's people literally arguing 15 years later about who Cloud loved.

Despite the facts that, oh, one of the love interests is dead and he's living with the other.

That should tell you all you need to know about fandoms and their imagined relationships.

True. As someone who is a card carrying member of the Tifa fanclub, it is an annoyingly inescapable topic. I think people feel like they have no reason to like Aeris as a character if she isn't the one he "truly loved" or something. Delusion + homophobia + ignorant fanboys/girls are an even more distasteful combo though.

Wazzy

Banned
Whether he sinks the basket depends on how well you are playing FF8.

No, I'm serious. He sinks it if you've had 200+ victories.
Shit son.

Apparently if you get 250+ the ball spins around the hoop before it goes in.

As for the Tifa/Aeris debate, I'm going to have to partially disagree with you. Sure, we can make the argument that he ended up with Tifa and that's wayyyyy more likely than him staying single however saying he loved one over the other is ridiculous. He loved both but ended up with Tifa because she is alive.

Either way, the love triangle debate is embarrassing on both sides. Neither are willing to meet a common ground that he loved both. *shrug*

As for Fang and Vanille, I definitely think they were a couple.

CorvoSol

I dont think any of the characters in FFXII are that bad really. They made all of them come across pretty normal.

I dont think there is a main character in FFXII. You start as Terra in FFVI, but is she the main character? Not really.

Vaan is even less important than Terra, but I kind of like the idea of starting the game as a minor character and being introduced to the rest of the more important people. Besides, it gives the game an excuse to explain things to you. IN FFX it was because Tidus was an outsider. FF6 was because amnesia, etc.

Yes fucking really. Terra Branford is as Main Fucking Character as it gets. How is she NOT? The entire plot revolves around her for basically the entire game. Why are we in Narshe? Terra is there. Why are we going to see Banon? Oh because Terra. Why did Kefka torch Edgar's palace? Terra. Why was Edgar willing to break his public alliance with the Empire and put HIS ENTIRE KINGDOM'S POPULACE at risk? Terra. Why did we go to Zozo? Terra. Why did the Espers lend us their power? Terra. How were we able to open the Sealed Gate? Terra. Whose parentage gets explained at length in this game? Terra. Whose parentage is central to the game's plot? Terra. Who did the Emperor need to see badly after the Espers fucking trashed him? Terra. Why were the Espers even willing to talk to humankind? Terra. Who does the game force into your party for the ending? Terra. How does the party escape Kefka's Tower alive? Terra. Who does the game make a big fucking deal about before you go into Kefka's Tower? Terra.

WHOSE THEME SONG IS THE GODDAMN WORLD MAP MUSIC? IT ISN'T CELES'.

In short, Terra Branford is very definitely the main character for VI. She may not be the best video game character ever made, hell, nobody even has to like her, but she's pretty obviously the main character of the game, and obscure developer commentary about a fucking ensemble cast means nothing to me. Nothing in FFVI happens without Terra. Even the World of Ruin, which Kefka only finds because Terra opens the gate and the Espers lead him to the Statues.

Unless there's some massive FF5 extrapolation going on here, you may have mistyped Vanille or Fang here.

Yeah I dunno how Krile is a lesbian. I do know how she's an awful character, though.

If Fang were male he'd be shipped with anyone other than Lightning and Vanille. People do not make intelligent choices regarding XIII's shipping. Light x Hope, anyone? Even Toriyama doesn't do it right. That's why Noel x Serah have loads of chemistry and she's still with Snow.

Well, remember there's people literally arguing 15 years later about who Cloud loved.

Despite the facts that, oh, one of the love interests is dead and he's living with the other.

That should tell you all you need to know about fandoms and their imagined relationships.

CLERITH FO LIFE BRA.

jaxword

Shit son.

Apparently if you get 250+ the ball spins around the hoop before it goes in.

Correct. FF8 (and most FFs onward) had little things that most players would not even notice. It's strange to see how the more recent games like FF12 have even MORE obscure background stuff to dig up but fans aren't as drawn to them like they are with a single obscurity from their favorite childhood one. People will fire up their old savegame and spend 20+ hours to find a rare item in FF4 or SoM but can't read through a few datalogs in FF13.

CorvoSol

Correct. FF8 (and most FFs onward) had little things that most players would not even notice. It's strange to see how the more recent games like FF12 have even MORE obscure background stuff to dig up but fans aren't as drawn to them like they are with a single obscurity from their favorite childhood one. People will fire up their old savegame and spend 20+ hours to find a rare item in FF4 or SoM but can't read through a few datalogs in FF13.

I do not regret RNGing for those summons in TAY for even one minute.

But eff ever actually fighting Vercingetorix.

Just finished FF9 last night and being such a great game it makes me wonder even harder.
Who the hell is
Necron???

I've neeeeeeever even heard of him (ingame). Any explanations on this at all? Really made me mad.

Noi

Just finished FF9 last night and being such a great game it makes me wonder even harder.
Who the hell is
Necron???

I've neeeeeeever even heard of him (ingame). Any explanations on this at all? Really made me mad.

Welcome to the year 2000, when tons of fans confusingly asked themselves the same question.

The explanation is that there is none.
Terra is a shit protag.

Thirded.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played FF7 today.

Damn, I forgot how much I loved the NPC dialogue, especially in the Tutorial area. So fun.

Treasure chest appearing out of nowhere on top of the Talking Save Point.

All she does is mope. The entirety of the game, it's nothing but mope mope mope. Then she finally turns purple or whatever, flies around and takes a nap, then wakes up and continues moping. It's absolutely stupid.
And then people are so surprised by her characterization in Dissidia when it's really the same thing in FF6 only voiced this time.

Her favourite lines are a set of ellipses.

jaxword

Who the hell is
Necron???

This is one example where the translators REALLY screwed up.

Necron's Japanese name is "Darkness of Eternity." He has no explanation there either because his name is what he is, basically death personified.

Whoever came up with "Necron" did a terrible disservice to the entire game.

I played FF7 today.

Damn, I forgot how much I loved the NPC dialogue, especially in the Tutorial area. So fun.

Treasure chest appearing out of nowhere on top of the Talking Save Point.
I think it was Kagari or someone else in the GAF Plays FF Games thread who convinced me to use Yuffie, and I am much happier for it. Her lines are some of the best in the game.

CorvoSol

Terra is a shit protag.

Well you can think that all you want, but the point is that she is still the protag, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And then people are so surprised by her characterization in Dissidia when it's really the same thing in FF6 only voiced this time.

Her favourite lines are a set of ellipses.

Probably because she stopped being a moper the moment she sat across the table from the man who murdered her mother and frankly forgave the bastard. People who don't like 6 are always quick to forget that.

I think it was Kagari or someone else in the GAF Plays FF Games thread who convinced me to use Yuffie, and I am much happier for it. Her lines are some of the best in the game.

They really are.

Vincent: "I have nothing to say."

Yuffie: "That's okay, it was probably depressing anyway"

CorvoSol

Whether he sinks the basket depends on how well you are playing FF8.

No, I'm serious. He sinks it if you've had 200+ victories.

You should like, post this in the video game facts that blow your mind thread.

As soon as I found out I had to go on a fetch quest to find the characters I used the most with the characters I used the least, I stopped playing and never looked back.

Oh. I don't know that I've ever quit a Final Fantasy game.

As soon as I found out I had to go on a fetch quest to find the characters I used the most with the characters I used the least, I stopped playing and never looked back.

Where's yer spirit o' adventure matey!?

It was basically a different game at that point really, so I can understand why some didn't like it.

Oh. I don't know that I've ever quit a Final Fantasy game.
4 and 6 are the only FF games that have made me quit out of anger/disgust.

I quit 3 too, but I didn't give that game anything close to resembling a fair chance so I want to try it again sometime. I just don't have the means to currently.
Where's yer spirit o' adventure matey!?

It was basically a different game at that point really, so I can understand why some didn't like it.
Like I said, I had to use the characters I put no time into. I didn't have time for that shit.

CorvoSol

4 and 6 are the only FF games that have made me quit out of anger/disgust.

I quit 3 too, but I didn't give that game anything close to resembling a fair chance so I want to try it again sometime. I just don't have the means to currently.

I grew up on 4, 5 and 6 and we didn't own a PS so I didn't get around to playing 7-9 for years. I think 2 and 13 are the only ones I feel no real excitement to play or when playing, though. 2's so . . . dull. It's just "Here is a door. Behind is an empty room. This is clever dungeon design!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bahahahahahaha, Beef.

I'm watching my stream archive of FF7 from today and I'm smiling at some of the tutorial/Beginner's Hall stuff. Especially this bit:

63GTtY7.png

IsaZYDU.png

Not to mention the "Finger?! What the hell?" line, and the talking treasure chest.

Seven Force observed that most of the beginner bosses in the first four games with ATB are basically ways to show the player how ATB works properly, and he's absolutely right. In addition to showing the player enemy behaviour.

FF4 - Mist Dragon turns to mist for a bit.
FF5 - Wingraptor has its wings open and closed
FF6 - Whelk or w/e it's called now has the out of shell/in shell bits
FF7 - "Attack when it's [sic] tail's up!"

2's so . . . dull. It's just "Here is a door. Behind is an empty room. This is clever dungeon design!"
FF4 does that too!

CorvoSol

That's because you hate everything I love.

I think you've forgotten the Sealed Cave's dungeon design.

I think I confuse the Sealed Cave for Rydia's Challenge Dungeon is what I do. Spent so much time in those during Rydia's tale, grinding for them RNGs. But then it had the bonus of "This door is a trap!"

And I don't hate everything you love. I'd say its the other way around, unless you suddenly love Gundam 00 or Rah Xephon, and then maybe we need to rethink this relationship. I like FFV a lot, and Bartz in particular. Krile can die in a fire, but the rest of V was fine.

Mechanically I think V is a better game than IV. It's just the story in V isn't gonna hold the same with me because I'm flagrantly biased in IV's direction, and because Ex-Death will always be a poor man's Golbez.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because Cecil sucks as a protagonist. He's literally one of the worst in the entire series because he doesn't do anything other than get a makeover and a class change/new character data. He makes so many mistakes even after his class change that it's embarrassing.

And I don't hate everything you love. I'd say its the other way around, unless you suddenly love Gundam 00 or Rah Xephon, and then maybe we need to rethink this relationship. I like FFV a lot, and Bartz in particular. Krile can die in a fire, but the rest of V was fine.

Mechanically I think V is a better game than IV. It's just the story in V isn't gonna hold the same with me because I'm flagrantly biased in IV's direction, and because Ex-Death will always be a poor man's Golbez.
Fair enough, lol. And you're lucky I don't watch anime that much anymore outside of a few things here and there!

CorvoSol

So how did Golbez exist solely as a hand.

And why did Cecil just sit there and look at it take the thing.

If you saw a goddamn disembodied hand that was talking to you, would your first instinct be to fight that thing? No. Not if it was the HAND OF GOLBEZ. Cecil'd been bitch slapped by that hand so many times his subconscious knew better than to interfere.

Rosa stood there cuz lol at Rosa doing things. Rydia stood there because as long as Golbez wasn't insulting her being a Strong Independent Woman she had no problem. Kain stood there because Kain is and forever will be, Golbez' bitch.

Even as the villain of XIII-2, Kain Highwind is Theodor Harvey's bitch.

Fair enough, lol. And you're lucky I don't watch anime that much anymore outside of a few things here and there!

I was going to recommend a show to you, but then I realized that only bad shows came to mind.

Top Bottom