• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

kurbaan

Banned
Just started replaying FF9 again I think the first time properly since the game came out. Such a good game, really love light heartedness makes the game more fun and gives it good atmosphere.

that's what they need to have in 15 though doesn't look like it will be the case.

CorvoSol

Just started replaying FF9 again I think the first time properly since the game came out. Such a good game, really love light heartedness makes the game more fun and gives it good atmosphere.

that's what they need to have in 15 though doesn't look like it will be the case.

I dunno, from the subbed trailers I've seen, there does seem to be some levity between Noctis and his dad, and between Noctis and his friends. I'm really hoping Noctis turns out to be hot-blooded rather than, like, anything else.

Dark_castle

What makes FFIX good is not because of the lightheartedness, but the characters, settings and the story-telling.

If you think lighthearted is a sure-fire good thing, see FFX-2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

FF15 is looking to be one of the least light-hearted videogames in history :p

It's going to be ultra serious and dramatic.

I love me some FFIX and I agree with what you say about its light-heartedness.... but FF has also been known to excel at the ultra-melodrama.

Noi

Exdeath knows about Pizza, sure, but he can't eat one. He doesn't have a mouth. Golbez, on the other hand, has a mouth.

FFV-NeoExdeath.gif

FFV-Exdeath2.gif

I see plenty of mouths!

Besides, who needs to actually eat it? For all we know, Gilgamesh could have described how Pizza tasted like to him in excruciating detail. It sounds like something he would do.

Neo Exdeath is one cuhraazy boss design.

How do you even fight something like that.

I guess the answer here is "With broken characters of course"

jaxword

Fun fact: those Exdeath sprites were drawn by Nomura. Like everything else in FF5-onwards.

Yep, all the people screaming that Nomura ruins everything don't really know what they're talking about.

Fun fact: those Exdeath sprites were drawn by Nomura. Like everything else in FF5-onwards.

Yep, all the people screaming that Nomura ruins everything don't really know what they're talking about.

Yep, there's a big reason why so many of the enemy sprites (though can they be called sprites if they don't animate?) in FF5 and just about all of them in FF6 are a vast improvement over the FF4 ones.

BadWolf

FF9 was the only post PS1 mainline FF that I hadn't finished, which changed last month. Gave it another serious shot and made it to the end this time.

The battle system still felt slow as heck but the beautiful world and characters more than made up for it. And dat soundtrack.

And here's some fanart I just finished for my fave character in the game (and his
little lady)
:

http://diavle.deviantart.com/art/Steiner-Final-Fantasy-390773315

Now the only FF I have left that I want to finish on the PS1 is Tactics, I've tried to quite a few times before but always ended up abandoning it.

Nerokis

FF9 was the only post PS1 mainline FF that I hadn't finished, which changed last month. Gave it another serious shot and made it to the end this time.

The battle system still felt slow as heck but the beautiful world and characters more than made up for it. And dat soundtrack.

Yeah, I do think that the slowness of the battles in FF9 is absolutely a flaw (although you can technically abuse the way the ATB never pauses in that game once you get Auto-Regen, which is insanely and delightfully overpowered in FF9), but once you're actually a few hours into the game you really don't notice it anymore unless you hit a particularly gnarly fight with enemies who are too fast or combat animations that take too long and cause the turns to stack up.

BadWolf

Yeah, I do think that the slowness of the battles in FF9 is absolutely a flaw (although you can technically abuse the way the ATB never pauses in that game once you get Auto-Regen, which is insanely and delightfully overpowered in FF9), but once you're actually a few hours into the game you really don't notice it anymore unless you hit a particularly gnarly fight with enemies who are too fast or combat animations that take too long and cause the turns to stack up.

Yeah auto-potion and auto-regen made the game pretty easy.

The rate at which auto-regen regenerates is nuts.

Yeah auto-potion and auto-regen made the game pretty easy.

The rate at which auto-regen regenerates is nuts.

It's less about the rate, and more about the fact that FF9's ATB never pauses. This is what leads to turns queuing up (especially if you're using lots of animations) so that actions sometimes don't even occur until 90 minutes after you've selected the command. It also means that you can basically fully heal your party for free near the end of the game simply by casting a summon with an extremely long animation, because HP regenerates during the entire thing.

In FF4/5, the ATB pauses for every single action taken, including Attack and Defend commands.

In FF 6/7/8, the ATB pauses during especially long animations (basically, Summons, Limit Breaks, and, I think, certain spells).

In FF 9, the ATB never pauses, but actions can queue up against each other (which is poor design, IMO).

In FFX-2, the ATB never pauses, but actions can take place simultaneously and are generally executed as soon as you select the command.

BadWolf

It's less about the rate, and more about the fact that FF9's ATB never pauses. This is what leads to turns queuing up (especially if you're using lots of animations) so that actions sometimes don't even occur until 90 minutes after you've selected the command. It also means that you can basically fully heal your party for free near the end of the game simply by casting a summon with an extremely long animation, because HP regenerates during the entire thing.

In FF4/5, the ATB pauses for every single action taken, including Attack and Defend commands.

In FF 6/7/8, the ATB pauses during especially long animations (basically, Summons, Limit Breaks, and, I think, certain spells).

In FF 9, the ATB never pauses, but actions can queue up against each other (which is poor design, IMO).

In FFX-2, the ATB never pauses, but actions can take place simultaneously and are generally executed as soon as you select the command.

Oh that, yeah good point.

kurbaan

Banned
What makes FFIX good is not because of the lightheartedness, but the characters, settings and the story-telling.

If you think lighthearted is a sure-fire good thing, see FFX-2.

Well obviously not that alone but the game has a lighter mood and doesn't act too serious but still tells a serious and good story. And I like FFX-2 it was the contrast to FFX which was serious and had a pretty sad ending.

FF15 is looking to be one of the least light-hearted videogames in history :p

It's going to be ultra serious and dramatic.

I love me some FFIX and I agree with what you say about its light-heartedness.... but FF has also been known to excel at the ultra-melodrama.

Yeah FF has always had the melodrama but I hope its more serious like FF7 than FF8 because 7 still had all the whacky funny scenes like the cross dressing and ball smashing etc.

Hey, I did the same and one month later I returned to the game. It was worth it.

After checking out videos and reading up on the scenarios, no it doesn't seem worth it. I was already getting tired of the game by the time I got to WoR anyways. It just so happens that WoR was the last straw.

Manu

After checking out videos and reading up on the scenarios, no it doesn't seem worth it. I was already getting tired of the game by the time I got to WoR anyways. It just so happens that WoR was the last straw.

This is me, on this very thread, about two weeks ago:

- About VI: I'm at the World of Ruin. I'm still missing Locke from my party, and according to what I've read online, Shadow is gone for good. Here's my problem: I'm lost. I'm trying to use a guide as little as possible but everything feels so open an different now it's kinda hard to know where to go or what to do. It's like the game stopped on its tracks and for some reason I can't find the motivation to continue. And I was liking it a lot until then.

So yeah, I know where you're coming from. But in the end it was worth it, if only for the final dungeon alone. But starting World of Ruin with a few underleveled characters and ending up with three steamroller parties was amazing.

I don't even have the save file anymore, so even if I DID want to give WoR a chance, it would mean that I'd have to go through the entire game again. And there's no chance of that happening in this lifetime.

Actually for me it was VII...at first.

Yeah I didn't like it either because nobody was willing to shut up about it (kinda why I like MM more than OoT, though that isn't the only reason). I played it months after I beat FF8, and I thought it was alright. It was actually Crisis Core that made me appreciate the game a lot more.

CorvoSol

I made a thread telling people why I didn't like it!

I'd make a thread about things I don't like too if I wasn't afraid I'd get banned or lose cred or something.

Do you accept my dislike for FF4, then? :)

Begrudgingly.

FFXII IZJV

So something that bugs me about Ivalice and XII in particular: you never meet any Bangaa in positions of real power. The entire Bangaa race is presented as just these kinda nasty, brutish fellows instead of a race that should have a capital somewhere like the Viera. The other thing that bugs me is that you don't get to play as a Bangaa in this game. I don't mind ditching Nu Mou and Ivalice Moogles and Seeqs, but I mean, whycome no Bangaa?

Top Bottom