• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

say whaaaat. i always use cid...you at least have to agree kimahri's worse!

Kimahri doubles as a Blue Mage. Cid doubles as a what? Permanent Benchwarmer? Definitely the lamest Dragoon in the series. He's only spared from being the worst Cid because there was a Cid in FFII who charged me money for my airship.

Cid in FF7 is the weakest link in the cast.

Banzai

Kimahri doubles as a Blue Mage. Cid doubles as a what? Permanent Benchwarmer? Definitely the lamest Dragoon in the series. He's only spared from being the worst Cid because there was a Cid in FFII who charged me money for my airship.

Cid in FF7 is the weakest link in the cast.

well to be fair, noone doubles as anything in ff7. give him enemy skill materia and he is infinitely more awesome than kimahri than he already was. a rough pilot that gets all warmhearted when he talks about flying and his dreams, i'd say thats pretty likeable. plus his theme was pretty good, too.
but ah well, agree to disagree.

Banzai

That's what made her funny. She just didn't give a %&!$ about anything.

She's in the center of the planet, about to fight the most powerful man for the future of all life...her comment: "Want that materia!".

Natetan

The part where she takes your materia has some amazing enemy drops. X potions and Phoenix downs galore.

Yuffie has some good limits as well as back row damage! And of course the morph damage glitch makes her awesome late game

Plus dat wutai theme.

You also get magic hammer there which means you never need an inn or a tent again.

jaxword

Cait Sith is the weakest link. They even made his sacrifice cheap.

You know that was 100% deliberate, right?

His dramatic death scene, in the style and theme of rpg character deaths, complete with music and cheesy dialogue? And then undone a few minutes later?

All done to create mood whiplash when
Tifa
dies immediately after.

CorvoSol

You know who was a great Cid?

CID KRAMER. That guy married EDEA. So much respect.

OH! Or Thunder God Cid. Now there was a Cid who wasn't useless in fights.

You know that was 100% deliberate, right?

His dramatic death scene, in the style and theme of rpg character deaths, complete with music and cheesy dialogue? And then undone a few minutes later?

All done to create mood whiplash when
Tifa
dies immediately after.

It all makes sense now...=O

You know who was a great Cid?

CID KRAMER. That guy married EDEA. So much respect.

OH! Or Thunder God Cid. Now there was a Cid who wasn't useless in fights.

Best Cid was the one from XII because he gave us Balthier!

CorvoSol

I expected him too when he gave you a lamp with the devil in it.

Yo the man married a Sorceress
and remained happily married to her as he built an army out of children she had helped raise to go forward and kill her.

Cid Kramer giving you a lamp with the devil in it is small fries.

I think I hate Cid Raines, though. Not because he's particularly bad, but because
that nonsense where he comes back to life, becomes Primarch, gets built up as a tragic foe you're going to have to put down . . . and then gets killed off screen. I hated that XIII did that shit so often. Like with Nabaat. Build that bitch up to be a boss and then kill her off. Older FFs would've had you fight her, then let Barthandelus kill her. But XIII couldn't afford one more fucking boss fight, I guess.

Like many things in that particular entry, Cid Raines was pretty crap.

That cutscene where he schooled Lightning was pretty funny though.

Eh, Cid Raines was at least the one genuinely really interesting boss fight in the game.

Why FFXIII and FFXIII-2, together, only have one boss that actually executes Paradigm shifts to counter your own is beyond me.

Manu

Eh, Cid Raines was at least the one genuinely really interesting boss fight in the game.

Why FFXIII and FFXIII-2, together, only have one boss that actually executes Paradigm shifts to counter your own is beyond me.

Caius also changes paradigms in XIII-2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I hate Cid Raines, though. Not because he's particularly bad, but because
that nonsense where he comes back to life, becomes Primarch, gets built up as a tragic foe you're going to have to put down . . . and then gets killed off screen. I hated that XIII did that shit so often. Like with Nabaat. Build that bitch up to be a boss and then kill her off. Older FFs would've had you fight her, then let Barthandelus kill her. But XIII couldn't afford one more fucking boss fight, I guess.
Worst Cid in the series.

Even Banana Condom Cid and Robin Williams Cid got some stuff done.

CorvoSol

Worst Cid in the series.

Even Banana Condom Cid and Robin Williams Cid got some stuff done.

Banana Rubber Duck Condom Cid is awesome. And he's a bro, too. I mean, how many other Cids will politely allow you to remove them from the game if you don't like them?

Cid Highwind won't do that shit for you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kain Highwind and his surfboard trying to use game mechanics to their favor, I see.
Caius isn't good enough to hold Kain's spear.

Banana Rubber Duck Condom Cid is awesome. And he's a bro, too. I mean, how many other Cids will politely allow you to remove them from the game if you don't like them?

Cid Highwind won't do that shit for you.
But you wouldn't want to kick Cid out of the game in the first place!

CorvoSol

Caius isn't good enough to hold Kain's spear.

But you wouldn't want to kick Cid out of the game in the first place!

That's why he has a Surfboard instead. He's still basically the same exact dude. Best bro of the hero who betrayed him for a girl. Voiced by Liam O'Brien. Dresses in purple. Has beautiful long flowing hair. Dragon motif.

Basically Toriyama played Duodecim or read someone's fanfic, saw how much chemistry Lightning had with Kain, and decided to put him in XIII-2.

Are we talking Cid Highwind or Cid Marquez here? Because if the former I would, and if the latter I wouldn't. Cid Highwind is definitely low-tier Cid in my book.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks for the tips y'all, I had completely forgotten the strategy to beat him since I haven't played VII in a while.

But never use Cid. I mean, he's only probably the least cool Dragoon in the series.

Cor....why u gotta dis my boi Cid? He's my third party member I always use when I get him. I mean he's not as cool as Kain but he's the coolest Cid by far.

I don't ever find VII hard once I get all my party members anyway so I use my three of Red, Cid and Cloud.

CorvoSol

Thanks for the tips y'all, I had completely forgotten the strategy to beat him since I haven't played VII in a while.

Cor....why u gotta dis my boi Cid? He's my third party member I always use when I get him. I mean he's not as cool as Kain but he's the coolest Cid by far.

I don't ever find VII hard once I get all my party members anyway so I use my three of Red, Cid and Cloud.

The coolest Cid ever is named Cidolfas Orlandeau. He wears purple and brown and kills entire armies with a single blow. He's the one true God in a kingdom of false ones.

Cid Highwind is such a jerkass he charges Sora money even after Sora has gone to the trouble of saving his home from evil.

Cid Highwind is too much man for Corvo

If by man you mean a guy who abused a woman for like more than a decade then sure.

EDIT: Cids who are worse than Highwind off the top of my head, lest someone think I think he is the worst:

1)Raines
2)From FFII
3)Al Bhed

That's all that comes to mind, really. I like most other Cids more than him.

GAMERG0D

The Cloud/Yuffie/Cid combo is so overused, I have a hard time deciding who I want to use in VII all the time. Maybe I'll do Cloud/Cait Sith/Vincent.

Wazzy

Banned
The coolest Cid ever is named Cidolfas Orlandeau. He wears purple and brown and kills entire armies with a single blow. He's the one true God in a kingdom of false ones.

Cid Highwind is such a jerkass he charges Sora money even after Sora has gone to the trouble of saving his home from evil.

If by man you mean a guy who abused a woman for like more than a decade then sure.
I always forget Orlandeau is a Cid so I guess I stand corrected.

Yeah Cids quite a douche but I like his design so he gets cool points from me.

CorvoSol

The Cloud/Yuffie/Cid combo is so overused, I have a hard time deciding who I want to use in VII all the time. Maybe I'll do Cloud/Cait Sith/Vincent.

I did Cloud/Tifa/Vincent the first time through and Cloud/Tifa/Barret this time around. I ought to use Red XIII, more, 'cuz I love that guy. If and when I play through VII again I'll likely do Cloud/Red/Yuffie, as I've been told that Yuffie's lines are comedy gold.

Natetan

I love cid in general. Usually a cool character. Xii had some great dialogue.

Hard at work trying to find a dagger for your back

That so sweet a child could be your brother is hard to believe.

And of course when he says Ashe's full name.

Except in ix. He sucked along with everything else in that game.

CorvoSol

I love cid in general. Usually a cool character. Xii had some great dialogue.

Hard at work trying to find a dagger for your back

That so sweet a child could be your brother is hard to believe.

And of course when he says Ashe's full name.

Except in ix. He sucked along with everything else in that game.

Well I think we can all say the lesson we've learned this week in FF GAF is that it takes all kinds to make a village.

Wazzy

Banned
Finally beat that asshole in the safe and he dropped an Odin materia and a key. I went down into the basement and used the key to enter a door where a couple coffins sat open except for one in the middle. I open it up only to have some guy pop out and do the most hilarious backflip in the air. Guys got style. I like style.

We chat about Sephiroth, do each others nails, tell more about ourselves and finally he...goes back to sleep and blames me for adding more baggage to him. Rude, I thought we were getting a long quite nicely.

I head to leave when he stylishly jumps behind me and tells me to wait. I can't say no to someone this awesome so I stop and listen. He asks to join me and of course I accept. Now if only I could get him a haircut...

I then run into Sephiroth and he talks about some reunion. Thanks for the invite asshole. I also apparently don't know what a reunion is but that's okay. He then tosses a materia which hits me in the stomach because he's just being a dick this whole conversation and then flies away but not before telling me where he's going! Mt.Nibel.

Awesome gameplay, the rest sucks?

I used to think it was too hard but I've learned to really exploit the job system and bend the game to my will. The plot is pure cheese and ham but that's what makes it hilarious. You fight an evil tree, how hilarious is that?

Manu

I haven't played V yet, but I'm trying to alternate between newer and older games so that I don't get tired of the gameplay. I'm currently playing FFI on PSP, what should I play next? I already beat VI, VII, VIII, XIII and XIII-2.

Natetan

I used to think it was too hard but I've learned to really exploit the job system and bend the game to my will. The plot is pure cheese and ham but that's what makes it hilarious. You fight an evil tree, how hilarious is that?

After playing vii recently ffv does seen really hard. Ethers and Phoenix downs are more rare and very expensive in comparison.

I wish the spell animations in v were better. Both iv and vi are much better.

After playing vii recently ffv does seen really hard. Ethers and Phoenix downs are more rare and very expensive in comparison.

I wish the spell animations in v were better. Both iv and vi are much better.

I'll admit, if you don't know jack about the job system, that game will chew you apart. Bosses like the guy in the Floating Ruins of Ronka will crush you and then there are times like the Ancient Library where you often will be at the right level to suffer a total party kill. And let's not even talk about that desert along the way to the library...

But I like a game that wants to kick me in the teeth sometimes.

Natetan

I'll admit, if you don't know jack about the job system, that game will chew you apart. Bosses like the guy in the Floating Ruins of Ronka will crush you and then there are times like the Ancient Library where you often will be at the right level to suffer a total party kill. And let's not even talk about that desert along the way to the library...

But I like a game that wants to kick me in the teeth sometimes.

Yeah, I still the nes games are harder though. FF1 was soul destroying sometimes when I was a kid.

I scientific evidence that ExDeath is the best FF villain.

nDzPWoH.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
ExDeath is just a boss.

Void in one hand. GILGAMESH in the other. MWA HA HA every other line. And was the splinter all along. And is essentially The Shredder from TMNT.

:/

Exdeath__TURTLE_by_Masteronin.png

Top Bottom