• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Ultratech

FFXII

Still undecided on Ashe's class. I mean, RM would be nice and balanced but I feel like playing it dangerous and using a Hunter instead.

I went Samurai (Mononofu...er, whatever) with Ashe. That + Shades of Black is pretty hilarious.
Granted, free random Black Magic might not be your thing, but it's pretty cool for most of the game.

Then later on, they get the awesome Genji armor and spiffy Katanas (and the awesome Blood Sword A).

Red Mage has some interesting stuff too as well, like Dark-elemental magic, and some good support spells.

Ultratech

It's fairly obvious that anyone who says "Y is the WORST FF EVER" has not played FF2nes from start to finish. It's objectively the worst FF, because it's unplayable.

Like, it's not debatable. Remakes are a different story; if you take those into consideration, then they are improving FF14 a lot.

While I do like FFII, nobody can really disagree with that.

It's a fundamentally broken game. And not in a good way.

Mind you, it IS playable, but it requires actually being aware of how its mechanics operate, which the game conveniently forgets to properly explain, much less mention.
(Like how pretty much most gear gives massive Magic penalties or how armor actually has weight, etc.)

You can progress, it's just arduous in doing so if you don't know crap.

CorvoSol

I went Samurai (Mononofu...er, whatever) with Ashe. That + Shades of Black is pretty hilarious.
Granted, free random Black Magic might not be your thing, but it's pretty cool for most of the game.

Then later on, they get the awesome Genji armor and spiffy Katanas (and the awesome Blood Sword A).

Red Mage has some interesting stuff too as well, like Dark-elemental magic, and some good support spells.

Well I made Vaan the Samurai, so I'm trying not to double up. My problem with Red Mage is mostly in wielding maces. I'm not a mace fan.

I'm pretty sure my brother would be that way as well...

It's a brother thing, I guess.

Ultratech

Well I made Vaan the Samurai, so I'm trying not to double up. My problem with Red Mage is mostly in wielding maces. I'm not a mace fan.

Hmm...dunno then.

Maces aren't that bad, since they're based off M.Atk or some crap, so they're hardly weak on Magic classes that can use them.
Plus, you can get the strongest mace (Scorpion Tail F; very powerful and combos about as much as a Katana) pretty early if you know where to get the mats.

Plus, Red Mages get shields.

CorvoSol

Hmm...dunno then.

Maces aren't that bad, since they're based off M.Atk or some crap, so they're hardly weak on Magic classes that can use them.
Plus, you can get the strongest mace (Scorpion Tail F; very powerful and combos about as much as a Katana) pretty early if you know where to get the mats.

Plus, Red Mages get shields.

Is Ashe still the only one who can use the King Swords?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Let's talk about the FF Piano Collections~

What do you guys think of Celes?

Also what's your favorite FF piano piece?

GAMERG0D

The best track in FF is every track.

Matoya's Cave
The Prelude
The Rebel Army
Theme of Love
Within The Giant
Rydia
Battle with the Four Fiends
The Red Wings
Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV
Battle at the Big Bridge
Home Sweet Home
Decisive Battle (V & VI)
Battle 1 (IV & VI)
Battle 2 (IV)
Entirety of FF VI Soundtrack
Those Who Fight Further
Turks' Theme
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
Aerith's Theme
Entirety of FF VII Soundtrack
Entirety of FF X Soundtrack

Haven't completed III or IX yet. There's room for many more tracks but I love all them.

CorvoSol

Guys I actually went into a new dungeon in Dimensions for the first time in goodness knows how long!

And the monsters still beat up my party. I'm prepared to think that I'm just underleveled, at level 50, for this area, but I mean, if I'm underleveled, that says some nasty things about the game's EXP system, when I grind for cash after literally every step of the game.

In FFXII news, I keep trying to jump and then remembering that this isn't Xenoblade.

Noi

And the monsters still beat up my party. I'm prepared to think that I'm just underleveled, at level 50, for this area, but I mean, if I'm underleveled, that says some nasty things about the game's EXP system, when I grind for cash after literally every step of the game.

You don't say.

Is it so much to expect that if I'm spending every waking moment in this game scraping gil together, I should be amassing sufficient EXP at the same time?

I kind of liked it how the game forced me to keep upgrading or else I would just get creamed in the next area, that was a decent challenge. Of course I got my butt handed to me when I went to Nabudis a bit on the early side but oh well!

3dNPNmI.jpg

Someone please tell me they made a wall scroll out of this. I got one with Vaan and Ashe and all the airships but I want this too. The art is just awesome!

CorvoSol

I kind of liked it how the game forced me to keep upgrading or else I would just get creamed in the next area, that was a decent challenge. Of course I got my butt handed to me when I went to Nabudis a bit on the early side but oh well!

3dNPNmI.jpg

Someone please tell me they made a wall scroll out of this. I got one with Vaan and Ashe and all the airships but I want this too. The art is just awesome!

Oh, no, in case people are confused, I was talking about Final Fantasy Dimensions. I haven't had any problems with XII so far. Did I misspeak in my previous post? I'll go check to make it clearer.

Oh, no, in case people are confused, I was talking about Final Fantasy Dimensions. I haven't had any problems with XII so far. Did I misspeak in my previous post? I'll go check to make it clearer.

No, it's okay, I just kinda read to fast...as I'm wont to do at times lol.

Wazzy

Banned
Palmer got hit by a truck, I stole the plane and Cid came with me. The plane was shot however and so we had to make an emergency landing. I now get to use Cid! Yes! my fave three are finally complete.

We then went to Gold Saucer and fought in the battle arena for the temple key. The exit was closed due to repairs so we stayed the night in a creepy hotel. Aeris asked me out on a date and so we went and acted in a play and then rode the gondola. Aeris starts saying some weird stuff about getting to know the real me. I am the real me, I'm just crazy. ; ;

Anyway we spotted Caith Sith stealing our temple key and he gives it to Shinra. He blackmails us to let him stay by holding Marlene and Aeris's mom hostage. We then head to the temple with Aeris and Red and find Tseng seriously injured. He tells us to enter and so we do. This horrible place is full of puzzles and annoying monsters. There's also some old black Mage guy hopping around.

Anyway Sephiroth appears and acts creepy and says he's gonna hit the planet with a meteor. All of a sudden I start acting crazy but no one says anything so we just move on and ignore it. I fought a stupid door boss who is a giant asshole. Then Caith Sith sacrificed himself to get the black materia from the temple. Once we had it, I go crazy again and start beating up Aeris and then give the Black materia to Sephiroth. I black out but not before Aeris tells me she is leaving to the City of the Ancients to try and stop Sephiroth. We're now heading there to help her. Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

It sucks playing two games at once. I'm playing Tactics Advance 2 at the same time as VII.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy X

Welcome to Mi'hen Highway! Or as we like to call it "That place where every five steps you meet another annoying side character who will stalk your ass through this game." Like, way to not be subtle with the fact that you're using this place to do introductions at all.

In other news, I forgot how amazing Auron is. His every word shuts everyone else's sass down. Auron has the quick wits that Lulu WISHES she had.

Also everyone is a huge douchebag to Tidus and it is so funny. Oh, and I saw the laughing scene. It is as priceless as you remember.

Final Fantasy XII

Balthier checks out every single woman in the game. Like legit as soon as you meet Ashe, he looks her up and down. And when Penelo is trying to have a moment with Vaan, he's all like "OOH, GRRL, LEMME SEE DAT." And now that we've been trapped in jail he's kinda checkin' Vaan out, too.

Balthier is great. I really appreciate the jump in facial and physical animations between X and XII. In XII people's faces are much more animate, and their bodies interact with objects far better than in X.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Penelo is probably the closest character to "invisibility".

She's the most non-existent character in FF.

CorvoSol

Whatever sins Penelo MIGHT have committed, she makes up for in Dissidia by dissing on Squall mercilessly. Penelo's cutting remarks were so much that when the sequel came out and it was revealed she'd eased up even a little bit, people on GameFAQs were crying because "Penelo got nerf'd."

Penelo is the C-3PO of FFXII. Basch is Luke and Kenobi, Balthier is Han, Fran is Chewie, Ashe is Leia, and Vaan. Well Vaan is a side character who followed the team's entire quest that you read about in an EU novel that was written in 1985.

Natetan

well she gets kidnapped and accompanies 'Lamont' for awhile. That's something right?

I think she's less annoying then other perky young girls in other games like rikku, selphie, etc.

I think ffxii is the first ff game where the fmv character models look worse than the in game ones. Their hair is all plasticky, etc.

Noi

Whatever sins Penelo MIGHT have committed, she makes up for in Dissidia by dissing on Squall mercilessly. Penelo's cutting remarks were so much that when the sequel came out and it was revealed she'd eased up even a little bit, people on GameFAQs were crying because "Penelo got nerf'd."

Penelo is the C-3PO of FFXII. Basch is Luke and Kenobi, Balthier is Han, Fran is Chewie, Ashe is Leia, and Vaan. Well Vaan is a side character who followed the team's entire quest that you read about in an EU novel that was written in 1985.

Since you bring up Dissidia, I was playing around with a wishlist for potential new characters in a Dissidia 3. Duodecum kinda skewed the balance to the good side so mine would add in a few more villains, at least to give each game one from each side. I know SE would make it on the cheap if at all, so I limited myself to one character per game, regardless of alignment.

FF1: I'd live this one alone just because Warrior of Light vs Garland seems like a balanced enough thing without too much baggage. If they added in, say, one of the Four Fiends, I feel like they should also give WoL a buddy to balance it out.

FF2: Dark Knight Leon - Because we desperately need proto-Kain in here as another character for Liam o' Brien to voice.

FF3: Like FF1, I feel this one is pretty balanced already. If anything I'd put in Xande, just to have another mage character, cause lord knows we need more of those.

FF4: Palom & Porom - HERE ME OUT HERE I'd have these two play in tandem ala Ice Climbers. Like Cecil, you could make it so HP attacks switch which character is in control at the time, or flip it around and make it so BRV attacks switch the character and you can only perform HP attacks for whoever is in the lead.

FF5: Add fucking Faris already jesus. Hell make her a Berserker, it's not like FF5 fans aren't used to being given the finger by SE anyway.

FF6: Edgar - Fat chance of it happening, but his tools would be a way more interesting addition to the game than most of the stuff in the series. Either Figaro brother works really, since we're also sorely lacking in martial arts.

FF7: Rufus Shinra - My inner fanboy cries at not adding in Zack but if we get another 7 rep, it should be Rufus. Sic dogs on folks, shoot your guns, have attacks where the Turks pop up and do shit, the character designs himself!

FF8 - Speaking of giving the finger, we can give Squall his rival back now right? Please? His pops is already in the game, the poor dog a bone and a chance to shine already.

FF9: Undecided, but if anyone is added here, it'd (unfortunately) be Garnet most likely, bah.

FF10: Creepy ass Seymour! We already have Jecht as a counterpart to Tidus, so adding a villain specifically for Yuna seems like a no-brainer.

FF11: I don't know enough about the lore here to make a good suggestion, but a villain would be nice to counter the two heroes. It's been weird to have Shantotto and Prishe essentially do "nothing" cause they don't really have a counterpart to pit against.

FF12: stop being coy and add Penelo already jesus, you've given her more characterization in Dissidia than you did in all of FF12, you may as well make her the game's official MC or some shit

FF13: nope

FF14: I'm rather torn here cause there's quite a few to choose from. Gaius van Baelsar would be a shoo-in for the villain side, but there's plenty who could apply for a hero. Or hell, just add Merlwyb just so we can have another gunner AND introduce the non-aware to the Roegadyn sea wolf naming conventions.

BONUS WACKY ADDITION: Chaos from 4 Heroes of Light - I can't be the only one who wants to see this swanky ass version of Chaos to go beyond just a single appearance in one game. He's awesome! Make it so he's an from an alternate dimension where Chaos lived in a world of funk, I don't care, I just want to see more of this dude.

Noi

Aw, come on. There are some legit good characters in XIII. Also, leaving only Lightning would leave us with... only Lightning.

I'd personally add Sazh. Or if you want a villain, Jill Nabaat.

It's only slightly in jest! I'm as undecided there as I am for 9, but I'd be fine either way with not getting a new rep (as unlikely as that is).

CorvoSol

Aw, come on. There are some legit good characters in XIII. Also, leaving only Lightning would leave us with... only Lightning.

I'd personally add Sazh. Or if you want a villain, Jill Nabaat.

Nah, I agree, because if XIII got another character, it'd be Snow, and fuck that.

CorvoSol

What if they gave us Fang? Huh? What then?!

Yeah they would totally give us Snow.

Theatrhythm has already shown that Snow and Hope take priority over Fang. Which is why XIII should just not get a second character. I mean, Fang or Noel would rock, and I would even be okay with Serah (since Stupid Serah was hilarious in XIII), and I guess I could deal with having Caius, but if Snow or Hope are first in line, count me out.

Top Bottom