• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

What do you have against children Corvo???

Nothing.

I do have something against the single most horrible character ever to fester its way into this series. Krile is a shit stain on FFV's lapel. Inexplicable, but still awful. Every other character in that game is comedic and enjoyable. Krile is as funny as someone getting punched in the stomach with a knife.

Maybe if she'd happened to be her own character for even ten minutes of the game, but nope. Never.

jaxword

Yeah, I still the nes games are harder though. FF1 was soul destroying sometimes when I was a kid.

FF1 is soul destroying now.

IKiuGbq.gif

Natetan

FF1 is soul destroying now.

IKiuGbq.gif

Yeah, but all games were soul destroyingly hard on the NES. It was much less so on the SNES.

I think i can count on one hand how many NES games I beat. Only beat Contra with the Konami code.

And also, buying 99 potions in FF1 nes was soul destroyingly boring, Even with a NES advantage

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is there a game everyone has a similar opinion on? V perhaps?

Doesn't everyone kind of hate Final Fantasy II at this point?

I suppose it's pre-fandom in the west, though... No one played it in its day, and the only people that went back to do so were more studious about it... and it couldn't be the target of intense love or rage since it was already old.

Natetan

I suppose it's pre-fandom in the west, though... No one played it in its day, and the only people that went back to do so were more studious about it... and it couldn't be the target of intense love or rage since it was already old.

FFII for iOS anyway is one of my favorite in the series actually.

jaxword

It's fairly obvious that anyone who says "Y is the WORST FF EVER" has not played FF2nes from start to finish. It's objectively the worst FF, because it's unplayable.

Like, it's not debatable. Remakes are a different story; if you take those into consideration, then they are improving FF14 a lot.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's fairly obvious that anyone who says "Y is the WORST FF EVER" has not played FF2nes from start to finish. It's objectively the worst FF, because it's unplayable.

Like, it's not debatable. Remakes are a different story; if you take those into consideration, then they are improving FF14 a lot.

I have NOT played it yet... but with impressions like that, I doubt I ever will.

Was it loathed by Japanese audience when it was new? Maybe that's hard to tell.... The Famicom era was so much less discerning and there was no internet community.

jaxword

I have NOT played it yet... but with impressions like that, I doubt I ever will.

Was it loathed by Japanese audience when it was new? Maybe that's hard to tell.... The Famicom era was so much less discerning and there was no internet community.

25 years ago? No, it was probably beloved.

There wasn't much choice, your major competitor in Japan was Dragon Quest.

The only people playing rpgs in 1988 would've been the shut-in types of guys who liked games with endless grinding. It wasn't until the snes and, really, FF7, that they got widespread appeal (and a significant female audience).

ST2K

Hey guys. I've got a question for my fellow chocobros.

So I've decided I'm done with FF9, leaving the only non-MMO FF game I haven't played: Final Fantasy XII. I've heard extremely mixed things about it, from it being one of the worst in the series to it being unquestionably the best of the series. Is it just the gambit system that is so polarizing or is there more? And is it even worth going back to play the PS2 version now or should I wait for the inevitable HD re-release a few years down the line?

CorvoSol

I don't hate II. It's just like, one of the least in my opinion.

jaxword

So I've decided I'm done with FF9, leaving the only non-MMO FF game I haven't played: Final Fantasy XII. I've heard extremely mixed things about it, from it being one of the worst in the series to it being unquestionably the best of the series. Is it just the gambit system that is so polarizing or is there more? And is it even worth going back to play the PS2 version now or should I wait for the inevitable HD re-release a few years down the line?

FF12 international fixes a lot of the complaints since you can custom the gambit system anyway you like from the start.

Banzai

Personally, i disliked it because of its more "political" story and offline-mmo-gameplay. a little tinkering with the gambit system made the game play itself, too.

but as you said, opinions of it are mixed. play it and form your own opinion. worst case scenario it wont be your favorite ff, but still worth playing.

Natetan

I've never played it, but i've watched the story bits on youtube. The voice acting and the dialogue are really great. Amazing what the took from probably troupe anime japanese original to some shakesperean level stuff.

"Lo, seeker in days unborn. God-blade bearer. Know you: this tower challenges the sky. Ware the watcher; the ward of the Three Waits, soul-hungry, unsated. He without power, want it not. He with power, trust it not. He with sight, heed it not. Rend illusion, cut the true path. In blood, Raithwall."

That and the way its read aloud by fran is just great.

CLBridges

FFXII is a very enjoyable game if you go in with an open mind :). When I first played it years ago coming from FFX I was initially put off. Every off-line game proceeding it was turn-based/ATB and back then I wasn't one to read about a FF game before buying it. I assumed since it was Final Fantasy it would follow the path of its predecessors. But, after playing around with the gambit system and taking a liking to the more "mature" story, I liked it. IMO, I would probably go ahead and play it but if you have a huge backlog I would say wait for the HD re-release. I'm glad that after playing FFX after initial release, I never replayed it, so I feel like I'm going in fresh and more excited for the HD re-release.

CorvoSol

Personally, i disliked it because of its more "political" story and offline-mmo-gameplay. a little tinkering with the gambit system made the game play itself, too.

but as you said, opinions of it are mixed. play it and form your own opinion. worst case scenario it wont be your favorite ff, but still worth playing.

The politics part of the plot is fine. Its when it veers away from that that it begins to be less good.

The politics part of the plot is fine. Its when it veers away from that that it begins to be less good.

That's my problem with it. You are supposed to be in the mist of political tension and intrigue involving Dalmasca and the Empire but all you ever end up doing is diving in dungeon to fish up magic rocks while occasionally coming in contact with the people you are actually supposed to be opposing.

It's supposed to be Legend of the Dalmascan Heroes but turns into One Piece.

Well maybe not One Piece, what's the name of a show where all they do is go around and look for magic rocks?

The problem with FFXII's storytelling is that it's too easy for it to let your party become uninvolved.

I've said this before, but I think that one of the things FFX did best was that just about every single required boss battle in the game (outside of Geosgaeno, Earth Eater, and Spherimorph) is tied into the main plot in some way. It helps keep the boss battles feeling like they matter, and it helps keep the story focused.

FFXII's boss battles, on the other hand, are mostly 'temple guardian' stuff or 'strongest monster in the area has decided to fight you' type of battles. I think if FFXII's development had been smoother, they might have been able to be as strict about the way that boss fights tie into the plot as FFX was, and that'd keep the plot feeling a lot more focused and direct.

ST2K

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll have to bust out the old PS2 one of these days.

...Really wish they had an HD remake out by now.

CorvoSol

That's my problem with it. You are supposed to be in the mist of political tension and intrigue involving Dalmasca and the Empire but all you ever end up doing is diving in dungeon to fish up magic rocks while occasionally coming in contact with the people you are actually supposed to be opposing.

It's supposed to be Legend of the Dalmascan Heroes but turns into One Piece.

Well maybe not One Piece, what's the name of a show where all they do is go around and look for magic rocks?

Final Fantasy 1-7.

CorvoSol

Oh, I thought it was just her being a little better and not as 'rushed' and edited as she was in X.
Same for Kingdom Hearts thought that was aimed more at her X-2 style.

It is just her being better. Lady's voice acting in Duodecim is so much better than her robot speech in X.

"What. Do you. Wantodo?"

Wazzy

Banned
I traveled through Mt. Nibel and encountered a weird boss who loves to heal itself. The fight was easy and quick so after I exited to the world map and headed to the Rocket Town.

I enter to see a crooked Rocket and a small set of houses. I pickup some supplies, rest at the inn and then head into a house with a pink plane in the back yard. A woman tells me it's the captains so we go on a search to find him. He's inside the crooked rocket and is whining about his space program. He goes by the name of Cid and he seems okay so far though when I ask to borrow his plane he tells me to fuck off. Lovely guy.

We head back to the house where the lady named Shera was and just as we're about to talk Cid interrupts us and demands Shera make us tea. Alright, not such a lovely fellow. He also swears at me because he's apparently a bitter dick. Why I wonder? Well Shera explains that she was a fucking idiot and forced him to cancel his rocket launch or else she would get burnt alive. He was still an angry prick back then but at least he looked somewhat young and happy. How can I tell? Well he's goggleless duh!

He comes back and is still being an abusive dick but Shera don cur cuz she blames herself. Hm, er, alright. Doesn't give him the right but okay.

Palmer arrives and Cid greets him by calling him fat and the proceeding to call him a fat fuck. Woah there Cid, there's no reason to attack someone's weight like that. Totally uncalled for. Cid goes outside to speak to Rufus and while that's happening Palmer is trying to steal the plane. I begin fighting him and everything is going swell until....he turns around and taunts me by slapping his ass.

This. Little. Fat. Fuck.

I hope he gets hit by a truck.

CorvoSol

As a huge VI fan, that figure looks awesome.

It really does.

FFXII

Why is FFXII the game with all the waifus? Anyway, Got Fran and Balthier today. Balthier is a Machinist and Fran is an Uhlan/Dragoon. Vaan clutching the crystal and being like "I found it it's mine!" was hilariously childish of him. Balthier is just on-screen magic though. Errythang he says has me a twitter.

Still undecided on Ashe's class. I mean, RM would be nice and balanced but I feel like playing it dangerous and using a Hunter instead.

Natetan

I remember thinking Fran was going to be a total disaster. The design of the viera is like some silly otaku fantasy if the playboy bunny. Yet the voice acting is just so amazing for all of the viera characters it turns out to be one of my favorite characters in the game.

It really does.

FFXII

Why is FFXII the game with all the waifus? Anyway, Got Fran and Balthier today. Balthier is a Machinist and Fran is an Uhlan/Dragoon. Vaan clutching the crystal and being like "I found it it's mine!" was hilariously childish of him. Balthier is just on-screen magic though. Errythang he says has me a twitter.

Still undecided on Ashe's class. I mean, RM would be nice and balanced but I feel like playing it dangerous and using a Hunter instead.

How many mages do you have in the group?

Just one. Penelo. I know I should get a second one, but I mean, white and time magic are the only useful kinds, really. As cool as Black Magic is its so rarely useful in FF these days.

Game Genie it up so you have Larsa and her infinite Hi-Potions for your fourth party member!

I think you should just make her a mage, unless you just want to go the DANGER ZONE and make her a Hunter.

Top Bottom