• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
I went to the forgotten city and tried to help Aeris only I started trying to kill her because I'm crazy. I resisted as much as I could and thankfully my party snapped me out of my craze.

But that didn't matter because Sephiroth flew down out of nowhere and stabbed her right through the stomach. Her materia falls into the water and she dies. I freak out cuz I love her and shit and then I'm forced to fight Jenova. My party's reactions are heartbreaking, Yuffie cries into my arms and Red howls for her. I finally bury her by resting her body in the lake. Goodbye Aeris, I never used you unless I was forced too but you're death is still sad. ; ;

Moving on, I snowboard and suck at it, climb a mountain and fight some bosses. We arrive at the crater and we meet Sephiroth who starts saying I'm a lie and a clone. I'm not gonna buy what this loser says so I tell him I don't believe him and I've got Tifa here to prove it...except she's acting really fucking weird which makes me suspicious. I begin to realize I'm not who I think I am and Tifa lied to me. I lose control and awake the REAL Sephiroth by inserting the black materia into his vessel shit. The weapons guarding the planet awake and I'm sucked into the life stream.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I saw FF XIV ARR GILGAMESH. Looks rather bland. Just looks rather silly. And the weapons just look clunky for the most part.

I would expect FF5 hilarity more then anything people.

Noi

I think Zack in Dissidia should be a special Cloud DLC skin, like Green Lantern in Injustice.

They could make him different enough by including pre-timeskip Zack rather than Buster Sword Zack. Or even if they both use the BS, it's not like Zack doesn't have enough attacks of his own (Goblin/Costly Punch, Twister, Vital Slash command materia, Limit Breaks like Rush Assault) to differentiate him from Cloud. It's not like Ehrgeiz where they don't have much material to draw from so making him a skin was the only option.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Based on observation of an image available...

XIV ARR Weapons of GILGAMESH are:

Excalibur/Excalipoor(unknown as to which it is)
Rune/Gigant Axe
Masamune
A mace(Unknown what kind of mace it is. Too plain to tell)
Baghnakhs(A claw weapon that affixes to your hand much like a glove or gauntlet)
A Scimitar like blade(I believe it is a false Zantetsuken. Shares similarity to Odin's(VII era) albeit much shorter and differs greatly in design. XIV Odin's has a guard and is much longer and sharper)
Bradamante(The mechanical halberd of Nael Van Darnus)

Note:
Darnus's final battle has him dissipate. Only leaving his halberd behind. It would seem someone has found it

Wazzy

Banned
They could make him different enough by including pre-timeskip Zack rather than Buster Sword Zack. Or even if they both use the BS, it's not like Zack doesn't have enough attacks of his own (Goblin/Costly Punch, Twister, Vital Slash command materia, Limit Breaks like Rush Assault) to differentiate him from Cloud. It's not like Ehrgeiz where they don't have much material to draw from so making him a skin was the only option.
I still think it would be a waste of a VII slot and this is coming from someone who likes Zack a lot. While you could come up with a new move set for Zack he'll still play too similar to Cloud and with so many more interesting characters available, he would be better as a skin like Edea.

If there were to be a next rep, I'd hope for Red XIII since I think he would be unique + he'd be different from all the human charcters. Aeris as a full character would work too I guess but I'd prefer Red.

Noi

I still think it would be a waste of a VII slot and this is coming from someone who likes Zack a lot. While you could come up with a new move set for Zack he'll still play too similar to Cloud and with so many more interesting characters available, he would be better as a skin like Edea.

If there were to be a next rep, I'd hope for Red XIII since I think he would be unique + he'd be different from all the human charcters. Aeris as a full character would work too I guess but I'd prefer Red.

Oh, I already said in my "wishlist" that I'd rather have Rufus over Zack if it comes down to it, as much as I love Zack. I was just arguing that point that adding him in doesn't necessarily have to only be a DLC skin to turn Cloud into him, as there's plenty that could be done to differentiate the two. Hell, if we just look at "Fire" spells alone in Duodecim, different characters use the same spells in entirely different ways.

Natetan

I went to the forgotten city and tried to help Aeris only I started trying to kill her because I'm crazy. I resisted as much as I could and thankfully my party snapped me out of my craze.

But that didn't matter because Sephiroth flew down out of nowhere and stabbed her right through the stomach. Her materia falls into the water and she dies. I freak out cuz I love her and shit and then I'm forced to fight Jenova. My party's reactions are heartbreaking, Yuffie cries into my arms and Red howls for her. I finally bury her by resting her body in the lake. Goodbye Aeris, I never used you unless I was forced too but you're death is still sad. ; ;

Moving on, I snowboard and suck at it, climb a mountain and fight some bosses. We arrive at the crater and we meet Sephiroth who starts saying I'm a lie and a clone. I'm not gonna buy what this loser says so I tell him I don't believe him and I've got Tifa here to prove it...except she's acting really fucking weird which makes me suspicious. I begin to realize I'm not who I think I am and Tifa lied to me. I lose control and awake the REAL Sephiroth by inserting the black materia into his vessel shit. The weapons guarding the planet awake and I'm sucked into the life stream.

Go get that gold chocobo first thing. It's really easy!

http://youtu.be/R1Cj-XwZVCI

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I always played with the sound off. I didn't play Lord ExDeath good for nothing. Only memorized the execution times and cooldowns of every attack there was.

CorvoSol

I play with the sound on, even voices. I might hate "SORROWFUL WADDERZ" and "GEDAWAY!" but I think every character has at least one line worth hearing, and the battle music is half the point of the game for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I play with the sound on, even voices. I might hate "SORROWFUL WADDERZ" and "GEDAWAY!" but I think every character has at least one line worth hearing, and the battle music is half the point of the game for me.

I wish the victory phrases were selected randomly. I usually only got the same phrase every single time.

Wazzy

Banned
Go get that gold chocobo first thing. It's really easy!

http://youtu.be/R1Cj-XwZVCI
Already plan to once I get Cloud back! Speaking of which...

I awoke as Tifa in Junon and I'm told by Rufus that I'm to be executed. Hm. Okay. :D

I get locked in a gas chamber and Barret tries to free me with the help of Caith Sith. They take the airship and Weapon begins approaching. It attacks and blows open the area Tifa is in allowing her to escape after freeing herself.

She has a bitchslap with Scarlet which is actually pretty funny and then she jumps off the Junon cannon and grabs a hold of a rope attached to the Highwind. We go searching for Cloud and find him in a small village where he's basically a vegetable in a wheelchair. Tifa opts to stay with him meaning I get to play as Cid. Woooooo!

I get two Huge materia and the Ultima spell and then return to Cloud only to have an earthquake happen and another weapon attack. We bail on Cloud and Tifa and they fall into the life stream.

Tifa awakes in the life stream and is tasked with helping Cloud find his true self. Finally we learn that they weren't childhood friends and Cloud was never in SOLDIER but it was a man named Zack. Tifa sucks for lying but at least she helped fix it.

We reunite with the group and now we're on our way to Junon, boyeeeeeeeeee!

Here's a game, out of all the Final Fantasy games you played, list your favorite tune from each one.

Final Fantasy II: Final Boss music
Final Fantasy IV: Illusionary World
Final Fantasy V: Battle on Big Bridge
Final Fantasy VI: Kefka's Tower
Final Fantasy VII: Weapon Raid/One Winged Angel
Final Fantasy VIII: Only a Plank between One and Perdition
Final Fantasy IX: Hunter's Chance/The Soulless Village
Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream will End
Final Fantasy XI: Abyssea
Final Fantasy XII: To the Place of the Gods
Final Fantasy XIII: Feast of Betrayal
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Uhhhh...give me time to look for it again

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Here's a game, out of all the Final Fantasy games you played, list your favorite tune from each one.

Final Fantasy II: Final Boss music
Final Fantasy IV: Illusionary World
Final Fantasy V: Battle on Big Bridge
Final Fantasy VI: Kefka's Tower
Final Fantasy VII: Weapon Raid/One Winged Angel
Final Fantasy VIII: Only a Plank between One and Perdition
Final Fantasy IX: Hunter's Chance/The Soulless Village
Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream will End
Final Fantasy XI: Abyssea
Final Fantasy XII: To the Place of the Gods
Final Fantasy XIII: Feast of Betrayal
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Uhhhh...give me time to look for it again

My turn!

FF0: CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE
FF1: CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE
FF2: Final Boss
FF3: Forbidden Land of Eureka
FF4: Within the Giant
FF5: CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE
FF6: Fierce Battle
FF7: Birth of a God
FF8: Force Your Way
FF9: Grand Cross
FF10: Seymour Omnis
FF10-2:Blah
FF11: Awakening
FF12: CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE
FF13: Mega blah( No really. Nothing really memorable.)
FF13-2: CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE
FF14: Nail of Heaven

CorvoSol

BRB it's gonna take a full hour for me to do this because I've played so damn many of these.

Final Fantasy, Battle Scene 1 (Runners up are Chaos Shrine and World Map.)
Final Fantasy II, Castle Pandemonium
Final Fantasy III, Eternal Wind and Boss theme
Final Fantasy Legend, Main Theme
Final Fantasy Legend II, Burning Blood
Final Fantasy Adventure, Endless Battlefield and Mana Sanctuary
Final Fantasy IV, Golbez, Clad in Dark
Final Fantasy V, Clash on the Big Bridge (Gilgamesh)
Final Fantasy VI, Shadow's theme Of note is that I really mean the rearrangement of this theme which is awesome. Starts at 9:16. Cry. Every. Time.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Dark King's Theme
Final Fantasy VII, Aerith's theme. That boss fight. That Effing boss fight. You know the one.
Final Fantasy VIII, Julia's theme.
Final Fantasy IX, Pandaemonium, the Castle Frozen in Time.
Final Fantasy Tactics, Antipyretic.
Final Fantasy X, Battle Theme.
Final Fantasy XII, Esper Battle Theme.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, When the Northern Sky is Clear (Rebena Te Ra). Selkies > All.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time, Larkeicus' theme.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Painful Battle.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, Conclusion. (It's REALLY hard to find memorable music from the TA series for me.)
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, Initiating Combat Mode.
Final Fantasy XIII, Sunleth Waterscape. For all of its sins, Final Fantasy XIII did bring us some amazing music and visuals, and when your party is just Lightning, Fang, and whoever you find least intolerable, you can almost pretend there is good in it.
Final Fantasy XIII-2, Caius' theme. Generic as it was, this song was still one of the best in the game.
Final Fantasy Type-0, the Fires of Suzaku, Apostles of the Crystal and Pure Fire.
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Battle With the Mysterious Girl
Final Fantasy Four Heroes of Light, Boss Battle.
Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy, Canto Mortis: An Undocumented Battle.
Final Fantasy Dimensions, Battle with the Four Generals.
BONUS: Final Fantasy Unlimited, Makenshi's Theme.

Ultratech

Hmm...
FF1: Boss Battle A/B (Both are pretty catchy.)
FF2: Castle Pandemonium (Final Boss music is really good too.)
FF3: Forbidden Land Eureka (or The Boundless Ocean)
FF4: Battle with the Four Fiends
FF5: Clash on the Big Bridge
FF6: Dancing Mad
FF7: One Winged Angel
FF8: The Man With The Machine Gun
FF9: The Final Battle (Hunter's Chance is pretty good as well.)
FF10: Battle with Seymour (Sounds like something out of VIII; but it's really great!)
FF12: Esper Battle

Wazzy

Banned
FF I: Battle Theme
FF II: Battle Theme
FF III: Memory Of The Wind
FF IV: Battle With The Four Fiends/Boss Theme
FF V: Clash On The Big Bridge
FF VI: Terra's Theme
FF VII: Listen to The Cries Of The Planet/Ending Theme
FF VIII: Ending Theme/Liberi Fatali
FF IX: You're Not Alone
FF X: Ending Theme/Seymour Battle
FF X-2: Under Bevelle
FF XI: Opening Theme
FF XII: Giza Plains
FF XIII: Dust to Dust
FF XIII-2: Knight of The Goddess
FF Tactics: Decisive Battle/Under The Stars
FF Crisis Core: Price Of Freedom

There's a couple games where I could see myself changing my mind like VIII, where I sometimes prefer Liberi Fatali or VII with it's Ending Theme and Cosmo Canyon.

ST2K

Oh, cool. I like these games.

Final Fantasy: Prelude - It feels like cheating to have this here, but it's so damn iconic in my mind I can't exclude it.
Final Fantasy II: Rebel Army Theme - Only really memorable track in this game for me. Didn't get far enough to really experience the whole soundtrack though.
Final Fantasy III: Return of the Warrior - This one is kind of endearing, in a way. Simplistic, but it conveys what it's trying to very well.
Final Fantasy IV: Tower of Babil - Love Theme gets a lot of... fanfare, but this game has a ton of good environmental pieces like this one.
Final Fantasy V: Pirates Ahoy! + Clash on the Big Bridge - I probably could have narrowed this to Clash on the Big Bridge, but that's boring and predictable.
Final Fantasy VI: The Decisive Battle + Terra's Theme - First really difficult choices for me. This game might have my favorite soundtrack in its sheer breadth of memorable melodies, but I ended up going back to some really safe ones. The battle theme is probably my personal favorite of the entire series, though I alternate between it and another one in this list. I picked Terra's Theme because I thought it rather symbolic of all the excellent songs with rather simple compositions.
Final Fantasy VII: Cosmo Canyon + Those Chosen By The Planet - More tough choices. There sure are a lot of great pieces in this game, so I just chose the ones that were most evocative for me. They're also pretty great tunes by themselves.
Final Fantasy VIII: Liberi Fatali - This was enormously effective at immediately sucking you into the world that you were about to explore. Too bad about the rest of the game.
Final Fantasy IX: Immoral Melody + Battle 1 - Had a hard time this one too, but went with a piece that represented the organ motif well. And yet, this game has arguably the best battle theme in the entire series, so I had to give it a mention.
Final Fantasy X: Otherworld - This one is incredible if for nothing but its unbridled nature.
Final Fantasy XIII: The Promise - This has an excellent title, because it was the only piece that played in the entire game while I had the belief that Final Fantasy XIII had some promise.

After listening to some stuff again, I have the distinct impression Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX have the best soundtracks by far. Two of those games happen to be my favorites in the series though, so that might be coloring my opinion.

GAMERG0D

FF: Prelude
FF II: Rebel Army
FF III: This is the Last Battle
FF IV: Red Wings/Theme of Sorrow
FF V: Decisive Battle/Home, Sweet Home
FF VI: Searching for Friends/Dancing Mad
FF VII: Fight On!Judgement Day
FF VIII: Ami/Don't Be Afraid
FF IX: Battle 1/Something to Protect
FF X: Fight With Seymour/A Fleeting Dream
FF XIII: Blinded By Light/The Promise
FF XIII-2: Eclipse/Last Hunter

FF: Prelude
FF II: Rebel Army
FF III: This is the Last Battle
FF IV: Red Wings/Theme of Sorrow
FF V: Decisive Battle/Home, Sweet Home
FF VI: Searching for Friends/Dancing Mad
FF VII: Fight On!Judgement Day
FF VIII: Ami/Don't Be Afraid
FF IX: Battle 1/Something to Protect
FF X: Fight With Seymour/A Fleeting Dream
FF XIII: Blinded By Light/The Promise
FF XIII-2: Eclipse/Last Hunter

I was wondering when someone would not choose Battle on Big Bridge for V...

Xux

Final Fantasy: Town
II: Battle I
III: Noah's Lute
IV: Troia
V: Deception
VI: Epitaph
VII: Don of the Slums
VIII: Under Her Control
IX: Ruins of Madain Sari
X: Silence Before the Storm
XI: Sorrow
XII: Golmore Jungle
XIII: Daddy's Got the Blues
XIV: Conflagration

Manu

Man, Chaos at the end of FFI PSP is ridiculously hard compared to everything that came before. It has four times the HP of the second hardest boss. I can't beat it after breezing through the rest of the game. It's so stupid.

Natetan

FF1 (NES): Battle theme. Tune has a lot of nostalgia for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPF3AwVPM4

FF2 origins: Pandemonium. This game has so many great tunes its hard to choose just one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNnp1bZ5i0

FF3 (DS): The only good song in this game really
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAGtTmmx0s

FF4 (SNES): Inside the Giant: Another really great soundtrack. Hard to pick just one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq3Xo84PxsA

FFV: Battle on the bridge. Soundtrack for this game is terrible, and battle on the bridge is only good for about the first 30 seconds before it becomes lame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDCXHXoaI4

FFVI: Serpent tranch: Another difficult to choose soundtrack. So many good songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2a5OBktmE&list=PL866653D8AD00A745

FFVII: You can hear the cry of the planet. Another great sound track. Impossible to pick one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTTv-6ZceSQ&list=PLF0835B27DEF5B5DA

FFVIII: Man with the machine gun. Really dont like this soundtrack. Its the only song i find good, but i do quite like it. Should have been the regular battle music for the whole game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

FFIX:The place ill return to someday. Another soundtrack i dont really like at all but with one song I am quite fond of. I think its the only thing I like about this whole game actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KubSYDT1n4&list=PL9D434EDB64474304

FFX: Hurry! A really great albeit spotty soundtrack. Hard to pick one favorite but i like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KubSYDT1n4&list=PL9D434EDB64474304

FFXII: Boss theme. Some good music on this soundtrack. This song is only really good at the buildup but i like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ySrSIrO_Cs8&t=55

FFT: Antidote. Impossible to pick a favorite from this soundtrack. It's all good basically, but I have a softness for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhaZ_i8_40&list=PL199E3C72F464C304

FFMQ:Temple theme. Another OST with some nice tunes. I tried to be different and choose this. It's a little corny, but when it came out it sounded so relaxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzEkYtDFyc&list=PL9BF821681EE6F8D5

CorvoSol

Man, Chaos at the end of FFI PSP is ridiculously hard compared to everything that came before. It has four times the HP of the second hardest boss. I can't beat it after breezing through the rest of the game. It's so stupid.

Sounds like the first time Chaos has been hard since the NES days, then. Kinda glad to hear that, since he's a cakewalk in the GBA version. Inner Chaos and Feral Chaos are pretty hard, I guess. Although Inner Chaos loses to Trance Terra in no time flat, and Feral Chaos is Yuna's bitch.

Manu

I finally beat Chaos this morning, what a load of crap that fight was. But well, FFI is done.

That marks the halfway point in my FF marathon, what should I play next?

My options are: FFII, III, IV and Crisis Core on PSP; VI and IX (which I started but got bored in disc 2) on PS3. Suggestions?

xist

What's generally regarded as the toughest battle in any of the Final Fantasy games? I'm playing through the Trial Mode on XII IZJS and Battle 100 vs the Judges is totally destroying me. Unlike any other hard FF battle i've encountered you have to be on form every second and all it takes is a tiny slip and you're a goner.

What's generally regarded as the toughest battle in any of the Final Fantasy games? I'm playing through the Trial Mode on XII IZJS and Battle 100 vs the Judges is totally destroying me. Unlike any other hard FF battle i've encountered you have to be on form every second and all it takes is a tiny slip and you're a goner.

Darn, that's a good question...I know WarMECH is pretty darn tough...Omega from V is no slouch either and Neo Ex-Death will own you if you don't know how to exploit the job system but...yea, good question. I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

CorvoSol

Absolute Virtue from FFXI is like, supposed to be winnable. But I dunno that anyone ever has won it.

Legend has it that once upon a time, a huge guild of players went to fight Absolute Virtue, and did so for 30 hours straight, at which point, it cast a healing spell, recovered an absurd amount of HP, and nullified all 30 hours worth of effort.

Noi

The combination of nerfs + expansions made Absolute Virtue a lot more practically doable. Pretty sure there's another unbeatable asshole that took his place, but I forget what he's called.

I know Pandemonium Warden from the same game is also a real toughie...of course if you had any of those guys in a traditional FF game and the challenge would be negligible.

CorvoSol

I know Pandemonium Warden from the same game is also a real toughie...of course if you had any of those guys in a traditional FF game and the challenge would be negligible.

Because in a regular FF game I can spam the Elixirs and Megalixirs I've harvested over the course of the game as I also spam Ultima and Limit Breaks with the Limit Break ability equipped, enabling me to deal tens of thousands of damage per second? If Limit Break had been an ability in FFVI, that game would've been hilariously broken.

Celestriad and Economizer + Limit Break + Quick + Ultima. Bwahahaha, nothing could even stand up to Terra.

Because in a regular FF game I can spam the Elixirs and Megalixirs I've harvested over the course of the game as I also spam Ultima and Limit Breaks with the Limit Break ability equipped, enabling me to deal tens of thousands of damage per second? If Limit Break had been an ability in FFVI, that game would've been hilariously broken.

Celestriad and Economizer + Limit Break + Quick + Ultima. Bwahahaha, nothing could even stand up to Terra.

VI is already hilariously broken...Vanish/Doom ftw. Shoot, everyone could have access to every spell in the WoB by just parking at the island where Intagir appears and just Doom him (and hope you can survive that death Meteo) for fun and profit. Anything else is just topping on the cake. Limit Break would be so hilarious.

But yeah, I was thinking about taking on those XI bosses with a party from X, all equipped with weapons that break damage limit...that fight would be over in a hurry.

ST2K

There should really be a name for whatever the phenomenon is that surrounds Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time.

The backlash and complete lack of understanding surrounding the importance of those games is really breathtaking sometimes.

CorvoSol

There should really be a name for whatever the phenomenon is that surrounds Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time.

There is, it's overra-

The backlash and complete lack of understanding surrounding the importance of those games is really breathtaking sometimes.

Oh. Well there's also just plain ol' fan-dumb.

I still think Mario 64 is the worst 3D SMB game.

ST2K

There is, it's overra-

Oh. Well there's also just plain ol' fan-dumb.

I still think Mario 64 is the worst 3D SMB game.

My working theory is the fanbase ruined those games for a lot of people, causing them to overreact in an opposing direction resulting in the derision of anything even tangentially related to games like those.

Really? You think Sunshine is better?

Manu

My working theory is the fanbase ruined those games for a lot of people, causing them to overreact in an opposing direction resulting in the derision of anything even tangentially related to games like those.

That does have a name. (Warning, TV Tropes link)

I was like that once and then I decided the fanbase can't dictate what I like and don't like.

Top Bottom