• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

ST2K

That does have a name. (Warning, TV Tropes link)

Yeah, that seems to fit, along with Hype Backlash. It sure is a fascinating phenomenon, whatever it is called.

I was like that once and then I decided the fanbase can't dictate what I like and don't like.

That's good to hear. I sometimes wonder myself if my aversion to certain properties is related to their awful fanbases, but I'm fairly certain it's actually because I don't like the thing itself. But I don't know, the thing about that type of phenomenon is that is extremely hard to self-identify. So one could be tricking oneself into thinking that the thing itself is bad, when in reality one's view of it is so integrated with the reception of it that the person can't separate the two.

Perception is a weird thing.

Wazzy

Banned
There should really be a name for whatever the phenomenon is that surrounds Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time.

The backlash and complete lack of understanding surrounding the importance of those games is really breathtaking sometimes.

I would hardly say there's a backlash against OOT but VII yes, however the game is still widely praised and has many vocal fans so I'm not sure why it matters that people dislike it.

Personally, I like VII but a lot of the fans are obnoxious and overrate the game. I can appreciate what it was back then and the impact it had on RPG's but I don't think that should classify it as the best game ever. Then again, my problem with the fanbase generally revolves around the characters and the silly love triangle debate and less about its placement in lists.

CorvoSol

My working theory is the fanbase ruined those games for a lot of people, causing them to overreact in an opposing direction resulting in the derision of anything even tangentially related to games like those.

Really? You think Sunshine is better?

Yes, I legitimately enjoy Sunshine much, much more than Mario 64.

My theory is that post-VII Cloud is radically different from actual Cloud in FFVII, and so people tend to see that new, less awesome version of Cloud, and subsequently we've been hearing the emo gay boy jokes for the last twenty years.

I don't think VII is the best in the series, and its graphics are seriously, seriously dated, but sure, there are folks who'll hate on it. 'Course I don't think IX is as good as people say it is, either, 'cuz its battle system is a load of junk. Which is disappointing, 'cuz I loved it when I was a teen. IX's presentation is still spot-on, though. Best love story in the series.

Wazzy

Banned
So I beat disc 2 and now I'm just finishing side-quests before I beat the game. I've gotten almost everyone's final weapon/limit break so I'm focusing on Chocobo breeding to get Knights. I love W-item <3

Sunshine is awesome.

CorvoSol

So I beat disc 2 and now I'm just finishing side-quests before I beat the game. I've gotten almost everyone's final weapon/limit break so I'm focusing on Chocobo breeding to get Knights. I love W-item <3

Sunshine is awesome.

You're good people, Wazzy. Likin FF8 and Sunshine. You're good people.

ST2K

My theory is that post-VII Cloud is radically different from actual Cloud in FFVII, and so people tend to see that new, less awesome version of Cloud, and subsequently we've been hearing the emo gay boy jokes for the last twenty years.

I don't think VII is the best in the series, and its graphics are seriously, seriously dated, but sure, there are folks who'll hate on it. 'Course I don't think IX is as good as people say it is, either, 'cuz its battle system is a load of junk. Which is disappointing, 'cuz I loved it when I was a teen. IX's presentation is still spot-on, though. Best love story in the series.

I don't even think that post-VII Cloud being different from actual Cloud is up for debate. So it does explain people hating on VII who have only played Kingdom Hearts or whatever. But it doesn't seem to explain the people who go back and play it only to shit on it as one of the worst Final Fantasy's ever. I mean, even if you think the game isn't as good as what people say, that type of reaction is rather unjustified, I think.

And yeah, I just got done with IX a while ago and it never clicked with me. I didn't care for many of the characters, the slow as molasses battle system, or the plot at large. But I still can recognize it as one of the better Final Fantasy games because of a variety of things, like the presentation values you mentioned. I get why people dig it.

CorvoSol

Really my only complaints with FFIX are 1)The battle system and 2)Chocobo Hot and Cold.

Otherwise I still love that game to bits.

Wazzy

Banned
Alright so I'm leveling up in the final area where the magic pots are. Once I'm done I'll go back and finish the chocobo breeding quest. I'm almost done with VII which is kind of sad but at the same time good because I realllyyyyyyy need to beat Tactics Advance 2 + Fire Emblem DS.
You're good people, Wazzy. Likin FF8 and Sunshine. You're good people.

CorvoSol

You know, I think people would be less inclined to hate on games like FFVII and OoT if people didn't keep making threads like today's. I mean, you go "Why hasn't Square made a game as great as VII yet?" and you're just ASKING for it.

xist

Course I don't think IX is as good as people say it is, either, 'cuz its battle system is a load of junk. Which is disappointing, 'cuz I loved it when I was a teen. IX's presentation is still spot-on, though. Best love story in the series.

I couldn't get on with IX at all...it looked like it was going to be much better than it actually was, and even knowing that i don't enjoy it, those looks are enough to tempt me to replay it again (twice so far!) Don't like the characters (well maybe Steiner and Vivi are fine, but the rest do nothing for me), don't like the story (nor the twist at the end), don't like the experience/skill system and of course the combat.

I'm going to be in the massive minority i expect but i actually preferred the love story in VIII.

Sunshine is a really fun game...good music too...and a relaxing atmosphere.

Those FF fans Corvo speaks of gives the rest of us a bad rep...=P

Natetan

I couldn't get on with IX at all...it looked like it was going to be much better than it actually was, and even knowing that i don't enjoy it, those looks are enough to tempt me to replay it again (twice so far!) Don't like the characters (well maybe Steiner and Vivi are fine, but the rest do nothing for me), don't like the story (nor the twist at the end), don't like the experience/skill system and of course the combat.

I'm going to be in the massive minority i expect but i actually preferred the love story in VIII.

While I really don't like either game, I will at least say that VIII is at least less bad than IX

ST2K

You know, I think people would be less inclined to hate on games like FFVII and OoT if people didn't keep making threads like today's. I mean, you go "Why hasn't Square made a game as great as VII yet?" and you're just ASKING for it.

...Eh. I think you'd be "asking" for it no matter what if you started a discussion about the decline in quality of Final Fantasy.

For example, if the title was more inclusive, like,"Why hasn't Square made a game as great as their PS1 classics yet," people who think Final Fantasy hasn't been good since the 2D days would screw up the thread. It'd also have the apologists of the PS2 ones who think they're far better than the PS1 games invading. Hell, even XIII has its defenders that crawl out from the dark corners of GAF. The Final Fantasy fanbase is so ridiculously fractured that any statement about any Final Fantasy game's quality devolves into a bitchfest. I don't think you can win at all.

At the very least, Final Fantasy VII has the advantage of being the peak in a historical context, unlike any other game in the series. I do agree that being that presumptuous about the superiority of it was kind of silly though.

Manu

I already accepted no FF is universally loved, so no matter what they do there will be a vocal group of haters, minority or not. It's not 1997 anymore, there's nothing SE can do that will revolutionize gaming/the market the way they did with VII. XV looks amazing so far, but it's not gonna be a gamechanger. It just won't be.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
More excited for Bravely Default. I'll take my FF5 job system where I can get it.

And yeah the fanbase of FF isn't something to go to for any meaningful discussion. Many places I observe it's just a bunch of silly people.

The normal discussion of late I ever see on FF is fantasies about a part of a character's anatomy. Usually female. People wanting a gay character as a main lead. Asking why there aren't more female characters. And of course asking about the next FF. Some with speculative nonsense that Ito is surely doing something when he is really on the mobile cruise ship. The optimists who cling to hope and want things to get better and remain loyal to a company who has kicked them around a lot and simply believes things have to get better. Alongside some who think sales of a product is indicative of actual quality.

Many disdain my thoughts due to my pessimism but I am cruel only to be kind quite simply because I care about Square but I have come to terms that the people that once made up Square have all but left and it is merely a shell of it's former self and I fear they shall fade into obscurity. I don't want it to happen but it is a possibility. They have several IP's at their disposal but do nothing with them. Tons of lost opportunities, yet they insist on relying on their flagship franchises and eventually they shall stagnate and rot away.

But who cares what I think right? Grump Grump

On another note FF8 was never a terrible game, the "fanbase" simply jumped on the bandwagon that "the orphanage" event was the worst thing ever and deemed the game as bad. Or that the junction system was too complex when it wasn't at all. Sure I wasn't too fond of the whole forced romance scenario but there is no denying that it is a decent game.

------------------------------

As for our little discussion on Super Mario Sunshine, I must agree that I thought it was more fun and interesting to play, and was more challenging then SM64. And the Pianta's language is always so interesting to hear.

CorvoSol

Story wasn't ever a problem for me in IX, but I think that I can see why it wouldn't appeal to some. That said, I really do love VIII, and I think it is the least appreciated of the PSX's golden era. I hated it when it came out, but I played it for the first time like, in '08, and it was a genuinely good game, I thought.

My only problems with IX are that the battle system is sluggish as hell, being bloated by lengthy camera angles, attack animations, and an atb gauge that refuses to fill, and Chocobo Hot and Cold, which I don't like. The music is great, though.

Sunshine is a really fun game...good music too...and a relaxing atmosphere.

Those FF fans Corvo speaks of gives the rest of us a bad rep...=P

I really love the setting for Sunshine. I enjoy that the Gamecube was basically the tropical era for Mario and Zelda. Delphino Island is a colorful, beautiful place, and the music goes so well with the visuals. Game was hard at times, but finishing those acapella scat twisting block demons without the FLUDD was some of the best fun I'd had in a Mario game.

...Eh. I think you'd be "asking" for it no matter what if you started a discussion about the decline in quality of Final Fantasy.

For example, if the title was more inclusive, like,"Why hasn't Square made a game as great as their PS1 classics yet," people who think Final Fantasy hasn't been good since the 2D days would screw up the thread. It'd also have the apologists of the PS2 ones who think they're far better than the PS1 games invading. Hell, even XIII has its defenders that crawl out from the dark corners of GAF. The Final Fantasy fanbase is so ridiculously fractured that any statement about any Final Fantasy game's quality devolves into a bitchfest. I don't think you can win at all.

At the very least, Final Fantasy VII has the advantage of being the peak in a historical context, unlike any other game in the series. I do agree that being that presumptuous about the superiority of it was kind of silly though.

I disagree. I mean yes, when you make an FF thread people will come out of the woodwork, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Also of note is that the claim made in your example does not differ that greatly from the one at hand. It excludes X and XII, which were and are very popular games. If you are going to make the claim that X and XII and to a lesser extent XI aren't as good as VII, VIII, and IX, you should be willing and prepared to defend that point against the people who will want to argue it. After all, that's what makes the discussion a discussion.

That said, when I say, as an example, that "Final Fantasy IV is the greatest JRPG of all time and no one ever made a game that was better than it." I'm being exclusive toward the vast wealth of other good games and also setting IV up on a silver platter for say Dark Schala, to come and knock down a few pegs. If I establish IV as my paragon and say the rest aren't worth their salt, then it stands to reason that people who disagree will point out the game's flaws and that this process, dependent upon my own initial arrogance in staking my claim, will exaggerate to the point of trashing IV entirely.

So if I say "Why doesn't everyone realize that the only good Final Fantasy ever made was IV?" then obviously people are going to come in and trash it to pieces. Because MY INITIAL STATEMENT did nothing to foster a good discussion about the game's contributions to JRPGs, nor the franchise, nor gaming in general. All I did was say "My favorite dick is bigger and better than yours." and when everyone then turns around and says "oh yeah? Well your favorite dick is small and stupid." then I think that that is very much called for.

If threads began "VII was a really great game, let's talk about it." You'd hear more discussion and less dissension. If a thread began "Let's talk about Square Enix and what they're doing wrong," you'd hear more discussion. But if people are going to start a thread already going "Every game that wasn't VII is shit and Square never got better than that." then, well, why should anyone be expected to say anything kind about VII at all if that's the attitude you open your thread with?

ST2K

I disagree. I mean yes, when you make an FF thread people will come out of the woodwork, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Also of note is that the claim made in your example does not differ that greatly from the one at hand. It excludes X and XII, which were and are very popular games. If you are going to make the claim that X and XII and to a lesser extent XI aren't as good as VII, VIII, and IX, you should be willing and prepared to defend that point against the people who will want to argue it. After all, that's what makes the discussion a discussion.

That said, when I say, as an example, that "Final Fantasy IV is the greatest JRPG of all time and no one ever made a game that was better than it." I'm being exclusive toward the vast wealth of other good games and also setting IV up on a silver platter for say Dark Schala, to come and knock down a few pegs. If I establish IV as my paragon and say the rest aren't worth their salt, then it stands to reason that people who disagree will point out the game's flaws and that this process, dependent upon my own initial arrogance in staking my claim, will exaggerate to the point of trashing IV entirely.

So if I say "Why doesn't everyone realize that the only good Final Fantasy ever made was IV?" then obviously people are going to come in and trash it to pieces. Because MY INITIAL STATEMENT did nothing to foster a good discussion about the game's contributions to JRPGs, nor the franchise, nor gaming in general. All I did was say "My favorite dick is bigger and better than yours." and when everyone then turns around and says "oh yeah? Well your favorite dick is small and stupid." then I think that that is very much called for.

If threads began "VII was a really great game, let's talk about it." You'd hear more discussion and less dissension. If a thread began "Let's talk about Square Enix and what they're doing wrong," you'd hear more discussion. But if people are going to start a thread already going "Every game that wasn't VII is shit and Square never got better than that." then, well, why should anyone be expected to say anything kind about VII at all if that's the attitude you open your thread with?

I don't disagree with most of your post. The only part I would differ on is that your alternate thread ideas wouldn't make for much better discussion. Making a thread titled "VII was a really great game, let's talk about it" would still have a shitload of people coming in and raining on the parade. The assumption "VII was a really great game" is nearly equivalent in many people's minds to "VII was the best Final Fantasy." The only difference is the latter asserts that other ones are not as good, while the first doesn't necessarily do so. So, while you might have a few less people consistently ignoring the point of the thread and yelling about how terrible VII was, you're still going to have plenty and they'd be enough to cause the thread to go off the rails.

Similarly, the title "Let's talk about Square Enix and what they're doing wrong with Final Fantasy" carries an implicit assumption that some don't agree with. Granted, it'd be a much smaller amount than the other scenarios, but it still would happen. If that was all that was wrong with it, then I think this would be a good substitute. However, even if people in general agreed with the premise, the thread would inevitably lead to a similar fate as the others, as someone would say something like:

Poster A: "Yeah man, Square needs to get back on track and make games like Final Fantasy IX."

Poster B: "What? No way man, that game was shit. VI is king and the apex of the series. They should look at that for inspiration."

Then those posters would get in an argument, and other posters would show up proclaiming the glories of their other favorite Final Fantasy games that they think is the key to solving the series' problems. Discussion would just regress into the same crap that was happening in the other thread.

To be clear, I don't think the "Why hasn't Square made a game as good as FFVII?" thread handled discussion in the best possible way. I'm just saying the crap that happened in that thread pollutes every similar thread to the point of killing actual discussion. That thread could have just as easily been used as a launching point to discuss all sorts of interesting topics, but because of the divided Final Fantasy fanbase, it was doomed to become what it did.

CorvoSol

Well if other people start an argument that derails a thread, that's their problem. If, on the other hand, the problem is seeing dissenting opinions of any kind, you're in the wrong place altogether. An internet forum this wide and open isn't going to allow for people to sit and talk about something as popular as anything and only discuss positives. That's just an unrealistic demand. The negatives of a product will always come up in a discussion here.

Final Fantasy XII

So Basch had not one, but two super awesome costumes before his standard one for the game? Darn it, pony-tail Basch is like PS2 Era Cyan, guys. How did that look not make the final cut? Basch never shoulda cut his hair. In other news by golly, this Barheim passage is hard and lengthy. Doesn't help that with no mages on my team Flans are a real bore to fight and potions are a precious commodity. This dungeon is making me rethink whether or not I want Ashe to be a Ninja instead of a Red Mage.

Final Fantasy Dimensions

Guys! Hey Guys! I advanced the plot and fought one of the four fiends! GUESS WHAT THAT MEANS, GUYS! It's time to grind for money to buy equipment that will be outdated in one more dungeon's time!

Final Fantasy X

Every single time one of my characters corrects me for attacking an enemy that "only Sir Auron can fight!" (which is a lie, since Kimahri can kill them, too), I make them attack that exact enemy, too. Because I am so, so darn tired of these stupid fools helping me in battle. People like to heap scorn on what X contributed to the series, but as far as I'm concerned the only bad thing it really did was introduce the concept of your characters talking during fights. Which lead to the annoying as hell "I OWE YA" spam in XIII. That said, the only reason I'm attacking things like Flans with a sword is because I have six characters and if one of them doesn't take a swing during a fight, no EXP. It's kind of like II in that regard, except in II you used to be able to fake it.

Wazzy

Banned
Basch should have cut his hair shorter so it looked like Gabranth's. His appearance in the weird sequel is soooooo much better.

ST2K

The implication is that to be upset over someone starting an argument over a thread is not something worth worrying about.

...Yeah, I agree. Not sure how you got the impression I was getting upset over people arguing on the internet. I was just noting what happens in those types of threads and why I think they happen. (And I thought you were too!)

I apologize if I came off like I was whining or something. Completely not my intent.

CorvoSol

...Yeah, I agree. Not sure how you got the impression I was getting upset over people arguing on the internet. I was just noting what happens in those types of threads and why I think they happen. (And I thought you were too!)

I apologize if I came off like I was whining or something. Completely not my intent.

I'm just saying that some of it is avoidable, and some of it isn't. You're not going to get a thread without arguments, but I do think that choosing the right tone with which to begin a discussion is the best way to minimize the number of people who try and derail what you're trying to talk about.

For instance, FFXIII is still the hot topic, easy to kick in the nuts game, because it stands as the symbol of all that is or has gone wrong with the franchise in the eyes of many. However, if I go to gaming side and carefully lay out a topic for discussion of the game, acknowledge its negatives as well as talk about its positives, I sincerely think that you can indeed have a good, straightforward, serious discussion about FFXIII if you want to.

Will people come into this thread and try to derail it? Of course! I'd almost wager that the very first post will not be a serious one, and that many others will be similar potshots, too. But once people've had their fun kicking the game around, the ones who do want to talk about it will stick around, and well, talk about it.

This isn't to downplay the very real possibility someone will come in and derail it and that'll be that, but I think that it is still possible to talk about a hot button issue and have a good conversation about it. It's simply a matter of ignoring the opening ceremonies of ribbing something and then getting on with it from there.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Wazzy

Banned
X-2 is so damn good. Can't wait till the HD release comes out for vita.

VII: Got my gold chocobo and picked up all the goodies that come with having one. I'm level 84 and I've got a good chunk of materia mastered which includes all bahaumet materia, double cut on each character, steal, restores and revives.

I'm going to race my golden to S-class then work on the battle arena for Clouds Omnislash. After that, I'll face the three weapons.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
XIII series has some lore that can generate a lot of meaningful discussion even if some of it doesn't make sense.

How much of it actually appears in the game world/cutscenes... and not just dumped in the Codex, Light Novels, etc?

How much of it actually appears in the game world/cutscenes... and not just dumped in the Codex, Light Novels, etc?

None. And it might as well all be a fever dream because the sequels don't acknowledge any of it.

If people consider the lamentation of wasted potential meaningful discussion I guess that's fine.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

You would have to scour the Ultimania's and other material not elaborated on in the game itself.

It's quite pathetic when you think of how much they had to work with.

Emitan

I only played X-2 for like 2 hours...what made the battle system so good?

Switching jobs mid battle. Having special garment grids that can modify a job when you switch to it and every job on the grid. Choosing which abilities to gain. It's a really in depth system.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The normal discussion of late I ever see on FF is fantasies about a part of a character's anatomy. Usually female. People wanting a gay character as a main lead. Asking why there aren't more female characters. And of course asking about the next FF. Some with speculative nonsense that Ito is surely doing something when he is really on the mobile cruise ship. The optimists who cling to hope and want things to get better and remain loyal to a company who has kicked them around a lot and simply believes things have to get better. Alongside some who think sales of a product is indicative of actual quality.

You just forgot the fans like me that are totally satisfied by the current S-E's output in regards to this series and don't have anything to complain about the present and always look with optimism at the incoming future because of that :p

CorvoSol

You just forgot the fans like me that are totally satisfied by the current S-E's output in regards to this series and don't have anything to complain about the present and always look with optimism at the incoming future because of that :p

Please be excited.

Disregarding LR, most people are rather hopeful for XV.

None. And it might as well all be a fever dream because the sequels don't acknowledge any of it.

If people consider the lamentation of wasted potential meaningful discussion I guess that's fine.

Quite the opposite, actually, which is what the problem is. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is told in such a way that it assumes you already had access to the material found in the two 250 page novellas, the Ultimania, the interviews, and the datalogs that you get only from hunting down fragments.

Why did Lightning pull a 180 in terms of characterization (though no matter how you look at it, outside info or not, her syntax and dialect makes no goddamn sense)? Why does Etro do the crap she does (even though the novella is conflicted on that answer)? How did Lightning and Mog meet? What are the Fal'cie really like? Who is Bhunivelze? What the flying crap is a Time Gate (beyond "it allows you to time travel")? What about background on the Paddra and other Seeresses? What has Snow been doing all of this time? How did Noel and Caius first meet? Why is it that only some people can use the Historia Crux while others can't? How did Lightning end up becoming the guardian of Etro (beyond what was summarized)? How did Lightning amass such a large army of creatures? Why does Lightning send Serah on her way despite knowing what would happen? How does time in Valhalla work? From what is Lightning looking for "my redemption"?

All of those basic questions are answered in material outside of the main narrative, yet the writers seem to be writing the story as if everyone has not only equal access to said material (aka no one outside Japan does outside of fan translations in regards to all info expect that which is found in the datalogs), but assumes that everyone actually knows about it and has read it. Final Fantasy XIII-2 actually does make a certain amount of sense as long as you have access to this information. There are still contradictions and holes, sure, but there is some sense to be made.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

You are in Perfo tier. You are in a league of your own. Be proud.

you already had access to the material found in the two 250 page novellas, the Ultimania,
I wish SE would officially translate those and put them up on their sites or even in the games themselves. The only novella they translated was Final Fantasy XIII -Episode i and that was a pre-order bonus for FXIII-2. I finf myself "lore hunting" with these games and not just FF. I wouldn't be surprised if I do the same for FFXV and Type 0 if it comes out. But I do enjoy finding out new things about the games, but lament they aren't in the games in some clear way.

I wish SE would officially translate those and put them up on their sites or even in the games themselves. The only novella they translated was Final Fantasy XIII -Episode i and that was a pre-order bonus for FXIII-2. I finf myself "lore hunting" with these games and not just FF. I wouldn't be surprised if I do the same for FFXV and Type 0 if it comes out. But I do enjoy finding out new things about the games, but lament they aren't in the games in some clear way.

After unlocking nearly all of the encyclopedia entries in XII, I'm game for this.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Cool thing bout Type 0 is it actually implements it's terms in the game. And also has it's own lorebook with interesting historical info and stuff.

Square will never localize their Ultimania's. They think it isn't worth it for the west.

Top Bottom