• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Manu

At least Cocoon, Pulse, Focus, Fal'Cie and l'Cie were kinda original. Now they're just slapping Norse mythology lexicon everywhere for no reason.

I mean, I liked XIII-2, but why is there even a Valhalla in XIII's universe? It clashes with absolutely everything else.

She can't be Odin unless she's willing to lose her eyes.

Odin isn't female either, but the whole concept is just a different interpretation of what a FF Odin can be. Besides she doesn't need to give up these beauties to fight like Odin:

images

xist

u_u

I'm glad at least VP2's ending was great.

I worked so hard for the complete/hidden ending, and whilst absolutely minuscule in difference to the regular ending it felt so good...

And Norse Mythology is getting kind of popular again, which makes it difficult to determine if adding it into games is a "thing" or there's a distinct lack of original ideas.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
New scan for Lightning Returns surfaces showing Lightning in a costume reminiscent of Faris's Amano attire.

Called Heart Stealer.

Stay classy Toriyama.

Sooner or later I'll see a Agrias Oaks outfit.

New scan for Lightning Returns surfaces showing Lightning in a costume reminiscent of Faris's Amano attire.

Called Heart Stealer.

Stay classy Toriyama.

Sooner or later I'll see a Agrias Oaks outfit.

There has been some heavy nostalgia pandering in both LR and XIV and I'm finding it to be a little excessive.

Or maybe I'm just a big ol' grump. :V

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There has been some heavy nostalgia pandering in both LR and XIV and I'm finding it to be a little excessive.

Or maybe I'm just a big ol' grump. :V

GRUMP GRUMP

-------------

Both games run on nostalgia fuel for easy money. Fanservice galore. Deplorable.

xist

Yesssss!!!

Finally beat Trial 100 against the Judges on XII IZJS...i feel kind of euphoric whilst simultaneously bereft.

Sorry 'bout the interruption but....YAY!

Labadal

Played some Type-0 yesterday. Played until I turned into Odin. Did that fight and then played until I could save. I really hope we get a translation for this. (I know one is in the works.) It'd be great to understand what's going on. This game is eye candy, but dear God, do I feel numb in my fingers after playing it for more than 15 minutes. When the translation is done, this will be played on the PSP emulator.

Yesssss!!!

Finally beat Trial 100 against the Judges on XII IZJS...i feel kind of euphoric whilst simultaneously bereft.

I find it weird that two of the Judges can never actually be fought in the main game.

I kinda want to believe that LR is going to be a bad parody of Valkyrie Profile.

They even have Yggdrasil.

I've never played Valkyrie Profile, but would it be safe to assume that it has to do with Norse mythology? If so, there's a reason why they are so similar: Lightning is the XIII universe equivalent to Odin and with nods to Thor in some ways (e.g. according to the Ultimania, Odin is Lightning's idea of a father figure) and much of the background events in the Lightning Saga are based on Norse mythology.

Lightning's role was much along the lines of Odin's while living in Valhalla in XIII-2 . Not only that, but she was called "Warrior Goddess" (though I heard that that was a localization goof) and is referred to as "The Warrior" numerous times as Odin is heavily associated with war and battle. He's also known for poetry and wisdom and lo and behold: Lightning is speaking in Purple Prose and is doing her best Warrior Poet impression during monologues. Lightning is ripped from history and the truth behind it is unknown to all but her sister, which could easily be seen as their version of Odin being slain at the day of Ragnorok. Not only that, but from Valhalla, Lightning can see all of history and all possible futures just as Odin could see all of Earth and everything happening in it from his palace Valaskjálf. Etro could be seen as the Well of Knowledge/Wisdom as she had the exact same effect on Lightning as the Well did on Odin (she learns of the past, present, and future and all of the horrible things that have occurred, are occurring, and will occur) only instead of sacrificing her eye, Lightning sacrificed the ability to ever be with the ones she loves and cares about. And now her new role as the "Soul Liberator" takes her link to Odin even further: A guider of souls. There was also an incident where Odin had left for such a long time that "it was doubted that he would ever return" (sounding familiar?). Heck, Lightning Returns is basically just Toriyama's version of Ragnorok mixed with the FNC mythology (so instead of the world being swallowed up by a sea of water, it's swallowed up by a sea of Chaos).

It was an interesting idea, mixing a brand new mythology with an old one while telling it through the perspective of a different culture and with different story structures (XIII has quite a bit in common with how a Greek Epic is structured; XIII-2 is structured as a miniseries with episodes; and LR remains to be seen). But, as mentioned, the execution wasn't there in the slightest and very quickly became a train wreck. Moreover, so much information is ripped from the narrative that even if you do follow all of the numerous metaphors, various symbolism, and tons of allusions... you'll be scratching your head over what the fresh hell is going on with not only the actual story, but the background mythology they themselves created.

For all the shit Toriyama gets, he honestly is pretty good with ideas for stories. Actual execution and script writing is where he goes so horribly wrong.

For me personally, I find myself caring more about execution than concept.

So even if a concept was good I'll never acknowledge it if you balls it up.

I'm just that kind of guy. I'd rather have a well done cliche than a half-assed innovation.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I'm just that kind of guy. I'd rather have a well done cliche than a half-assed innovation.

Execution over conceptual potential.

Let it be known that innovation for the sake of innovation that doesn't actually innovate anything and only serves as a reskinned mechanic is always a bad idea.

----------------------

@Crimson: Would have taken VP3: Hrist over this asinine Norse fanfiction.

Never said it vindicates how mucked up the story presentation of The Lightning Saga is. Toriyama is still, in my opinion, a horrible director and The Lightning Saga is still an absolute mess with XIII-2 being utter garbage in several regards. Personally though, I can appreciate the concepts and ideas of a story even if they aren't well executed.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have MonolithSoft to rely on. So I'm good.

Would be great if Mistwalker decided to make another RPG but that's unlikely.

Execution over conceptual potential.

Let it be known that innovation for the sake of innovation that doesn't actually innovate anything and only serves as a reskinned mechanic is always a bad idea.

----------------------

@Crimson: Would have taken VP3: Hrist over this asinine Norse fanfiction.

Like I said, I can appreciate the concepts and ideas of a story even if they aren't well executed. That's not to say all the ideas Toriyama had were good either. But if we're gonna talk about what we'd rather have instead... I rather Square Enix pull a miracle, get the rights to Knights of the old Republic, contract Obsidian to make the game, and give us a high production KOTOR III.

A man can dream, can't he?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well one can always see that concepts were indeed good on paper. But the execution bit has always been Toriyama's Achilles heel.

Wazzy

Banned
VII: I got Omnislash which was really easy and then pursued Ultimate weapon for Cloud's ultimate weapon. Very easy fight and when I beat him I actually thought I was in a fight where he would runaway :lol

I'm now grinding everyone to 99 and mastering more materia so It duplicates which means I can hand it over to other party members. After this I'm going to fight Emerald and Ruby and then I'll finish the game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
VII: I got Omnislash which was really easy and then pursued Ultimate weapon for Cloud's ultimate weapon. Very easy fight and when I beat him I actually thought I was in a fight where he would runaway :lol

I'm now grinding everyone to 99 and mastering more materia so It duplicates which means I can hand it over to other party members. After this I'm going to fight Emerald and Ruby and then I'll finish the game.

Good luck with that.

Natetan

You didn't get the final attack materia? It's actually pretty fun to get them.

xist

I find it weird that two of the Judges can never actually be fought in the main game.

Well one of them gets murdered before you meet them but i take your point...there's nothing quite like the swagger as they walk out to meet you in that final trial though.

It's odd though that the Judges felt so underused in XII...they were a well fleshed out idea, complemented some of the main characters back stories, and felt like the most fully realised of the opposition...yet they kind of got relegated to almost comedy opponents.

Natetan

Well one of them gets murdered before you meet them but i take your point...there's nothing quite like the swagger as they walk out to meet you in that final trial though.

It's odd though that the Judges felt so underused in XII...they were a well fleshed out idea, complemented some of the main characters back stories, and felt like the most fully realised of the opposition...yet they kind of got relegated to almost comedy opponents.

I'd say that's the case for most of the ideas behind the game. It feels like they blew their load conceptually in FFT and FFTA that by the time they got to the mainline ff game that was supposed to be the ultimate use if the ivalice world and lore they kind of didn't want to use the ideas anymore.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The reason was they didn't follow Matsuno's vision for the world setting as it was deemed too dark for the series. So stuff was cut.

Natetan

The reason was they didn't follow Matsuno's vision for the world setting as it was deemed too dark for the series. So stuff was cut.

None of the races really appear in the game like they did in FFTA, judges were far less involved

I thought the game was pretty dark for a jrpg, what did they cut exactly?

xist

I never saw the Judges in XII being related to those in FFTA...in XII they were more like an elite execution squad rather than the law enforcers of FFTA.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
None of the races really appear in the game like they did in FFTA, judges were far less involved

I thought the game was pretty dark for a jrpg, what did they cut exactly?

We'll never know. Wish I knew myself.

@Meccanical: Xenogears was originally going to be VII but was also deemed too dark for the series.

Mr. Fix

Yesssss!!!

Stealth brag, meet not-so-stealth tears. I seriously need 12 HD ZJS edtion.

Top Bottom