• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Emitan

Is it just me or does 4 Heroes of Light feel more like a Dragon Quest game in story and presentation with some minor FF trappings?

CorvoSol

Is it just me or does 4 Heroes of Light feel more like a Dragon Quest game in story and presentation with some minor FF trappings?

It's definitely more Dragon Quest in every way I can name. That said, I booted the game up yesterday and DAMN is it still beautiful.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It looks like a Kain manikin from Dissidia.

It's probably Variant Kai Dragoon if I have to guess. I really don't like this new fanfic-crap series of AFs by Kai. Give us the original' ones -.-'

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've never played Valkyrie Profile, but would it be safe to assume that it has to do with Norse mythology? If so, there's a reason why they are so similar: Lightning is the XIII universe equivalent to Odin and with nods to Thor in some ways (e.g. according to the Ultimania, Odin is Lightning's idea of a father figure) and much of the background events in the Lightning Saga are based on Norse mythology.

Lightning's role was much along the lines of Odin's while living in Valhalla in XIII-2 . Not only that, but she was called "Warrior Goddess" (though I heard that that was a localization goof) and is referred to as "The Warrior" numerous times as Odin is heavily associated with war and battle. He's also known for poetry and wisdom and lo and behold: Lightning is speaking in Purple Prose and is doing her best Warrior Poet impression during monologues. Lightning is ripped from history and the truth behind it is unknown to all but her sister, which could easily be seen as their version of Odin being slain at the day of Ragnorok. Not only that, but from Valhalla, Lightning can see all of history and all possible futures just as Odin could see all of Earth and everything happening in it from his palace Valaskjálf. Etro could be seen as the Well of Knowledge/Wisdom as she had the exact same effect on Lightning as the Well did on Odin (she learns of the past, present, and future and all of the horrible things that have occurred, are occurring, and will occur) only instead of sacrificing her eye, Lightning sacrificed the ability to ever be with the ones she loves and cares about. And now her new role as the "Soul Liberator" takes her link to Odin even further: A guider of souls. There was also an incident where Odin had left for such a long time that "it was doubted that he would ever return" (sounding familiar?). Heck, Lightning Returns is basically just Toriyama's version of Ragnorok mixed with the FNC mythology (so instead of the world being swallowed up by a sea of water, it's swallowed up by a sea of Chaos).

It was an interesting idea, mixing a brand new mythology with an old one while telling it through the perspective of a different culture and with different story structures (XIII has quite a bit in common with how a Greek Epic is structured; XIII-2 is structured as a miniseries with episodes; and LR remains to be seen). But, as mentioned, the execution wasn't there in the slightest and very quickly became a train wreck. Moreover, so much information is ripped from the narrative that even if you do follow all of the numerous metaphors, various symbolism, and tons of allusions... you'll be scratching your head over what the fresh hell is going on with not only the actual story, but the background mythology they themselves created.

For all the shit Toriyama gets, he honestly is pretty good with ideas for stories. Actual execution and script writing is where he goes so horribly wrong.

Cool, I didn't know about all these connections between XIII-2/LR and Norse mithology eheh :p I wonder though if there's anything of it in XIII except for Ragnarok...

XIII has quite a bit in common with how a Greek Epic is structured

On a related note, I remember in XIII as you learn about or encounter some of the Fal'cie they behaved like Greek Gods. One provides food , another sunlight etc..

Than after Bart tells you his plans they all sounded like resented Angels whom want to be or get the attention of God (Maker) by killing all the humans.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm almost halfway done getting all of my party members to 99. I've finished Cid, Red and Cloud. Yuffie and Vincent are in the 80's while Tifa, Barret and Caith sith are early 70's. After that, I'll probably go get the Final Attack materia that Natetan mentioned.

I never got around to beating that game. I stopped when my party got shrunk and I'm not too sure why. I was loving the game up until that point and then I just put it down and never went back. I should really think about finishing it.

I just got FFXIII-2 for $10 and I'm about to play it for the first time. I skipped XIII because I heard it was way too linear and all the other complaints I'm sure you guys are aware of. Is there anything I'm missing out on?

I'm a respectable FF fan, I like 1 and 2 on NES, 4 and 6 on SNES, 7 and 9 on PS1 and 12 on PS2. I didn't really like 10 that much, 8 was alright and the rest I haven't played. Aside from the MMOs, 13 is really the only one I skipped out on based on reception alone. What say you guys, should I just go forward with 13-2 and not worry about 13 or is it underrated in your eyes?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I just got FFXIII-2 for $10 and I'm about to play it for the first time. I skipped XIII because I heard it was way too linear and all the other complaints I'm sure you guys are aware of. Is there anything I'm missing out on?

I'm a respectable FF fan, I like 1 and 2 on NES, 4 and 6 on SNES, 7 and 9 on PS1 and 12 on PS2. I didn't really like 10 that much, 8 was alright and the rest I haven't played. Aside from the MMOs, 13 is really the only one I skipped out on based on reception alone. What say you guys, should I just go forward with 13-2 and not worry about 13 or is it underrated in your eyes?

You didn't play FF5?

Overlooked once more.

;_;

frequency

An excellent game.

I say you should think for yourself instead of listening to the forums.

Also, outside of NeoGAF and other hardcore gamer communities, FFXIII is not despised as the worse thing ever.
And if you insist on deciding the quality of a game based on other people's opinions, consider that it is still a highly rated game.

CorvoSol

XIII is an exercise in wasted potential. Every element of the game could have been good, but the whole thing was marred by the development team sitting on its ass and doing fuck all for years and years. The character growth system is as bare bones as its been since FFIV came out, maps, as I'm sure you've heard, are too linear (there's no back tracking until almost the end of the game, no towns at all, rarely any NPCs, and town functions are conducted via a savepoint), much of the plot is stuffed into the in-game database and not told during story sequences (so much so that unless you defeat the game's Super Boss, who is not accessible until after the Final Battle, you won't have enough information to really guess what happened in the ending.), the cast ranges from the enjoyable (Fang is unanimously agreed upon, but who is good from there varies upon your tastes) to the rage inducingly bad (generally people point to Snow, Hope or Vanille) to completely pointless (Jihl, Rygdea). The plot is full of things that build up to nothing and ultimately is what you might expect of a Toriyama plot.

Now, in terms of positive things, the game still looks beautiful, has a great soundtrack, the battle system might be a bit too simplified (and that's without Easymode), but the idea of changing your job classes on the fly in a fight isn't that bad, the mythology behind the games is good, the voice acting, even for characters who suck, is not bad, and there is this one part of the game, the Archelytte Steppe, which is honestly fun to run around and just adventure on.

XIII could have been a great Final Fantasy, but so much of its potential is squandered that I cannot in honesty say that it is. You may, however, enjoy parts of it, and I believe that at this point it shouldn't be hard to find a cheap copy of the game, minimizing the risk you undertake in that endeavor.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There is a couple images for XIV ARR floating around and one of em has GILGAMESH on it. He looks so awesome! So excited!

As much as I'm not a huge fan of XIII, I thought XIII-2 was far better, it had a smaller cast but they were immensely more likable (Noel), and the game still looks really great. On the flip side, the soundtrack isn't as good as before and the game is criminally easy, only a few of the super bosses really gave me any trouble, as opposed to XIII that had some regular enemies that were crazy strong.

Manu

There is a couple images for XIV ARR floating around and one of em has GILGAMESH on it. He looks so awesome! So excited!

Yesterday I unlocked Gilgamesh in Dissidia 012, and the first thing I thought was "hey, MagiusNecros would be proud."

...I think I'm spending way too much time in GAF.

Yeah he does

sqex-000.jpg

uw7Vtx1.png

I don't know about you guys but this guy ranks up there as one of the worst foes I fought in XII. He always appears after you kill a number of Bakanay, usually 10 (I think) and he loves to respond by sapping the entire mp of one of your members. If that wasn't enough, if you aren't keeping track, a rare monster will appear after you kill at least six of them...UGH.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe Cloud of Darkness is getting a Cloud of Light form by looking at that concept art. Or an initial form before going green.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
But yeah I always liked UGLYMESH. Type 0 is the only one where he looked like a good looking dude.

Stone Skin is back in action.

-------------------

For those that missed it. His weapons in XIV are:

Excalibur/Excalipoor(unknown as to which it is)
Rune/Gigant Axe
Masamune
A mace(Unknown what kind of mace it is. Too plain to tell. MorningStar perhaps?)
Baghnakhs(A claw weapon that affixes to your hand much like a glove or gauntlet)
A Scimitar like blade(I believe it is a false Zantetsuken. Shares similarity to Odin's(VII era) albeit much shorter and differs greatly in design. XIV Odin's has a guard and is much longer and sharper)
Bradamante(The mechanical halberd of Nael Van Darnus)

CorvoSol

But yeah I always liked UGLYMESH. Type 0 is the only one where he looked like a good looking dude.

Stone Skin is back in action.

-------------------

For those that missed it. His weapons in XIV are:

Excalibur/Excalipoor(unknown as to which it is)
Rune/Gigant Axe
Masamune
A mace(Unknown what kind of mace it is. Too plain to tell. MorningStar perhaps?)
Baghnakhs(A claw weapon that affixes to your hand much like a glove or gauntlet)
A Scimitar like blade(I believe it is a false Zantetsuken. Shares similarity to Odin's(VII era) albeit much shorter and differs greatly in design. XIV Odin's has a guard and is much longer and sharper)
Bradamante(The mechanical halberd of Nael Van Darnus)

Isn't that the entire point?

Cool, I didn't know about all these connections between XIII-2/LR and Norse mithology eheh :p I wonder though if there's anything of it in XIII except for Ragnarok...

XIII was quite heavily focused on Toriyama's social commentary on Japanese work culture and it's set up as a Greek Epic.

XIII-2 was, as I said, quite heavily involved in Norse and a little bit of Greek.

LR, the more I think about it, seems to be incorporating more Christian allegories and symbolism then Norse/Greek.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Dimensions

So in spite of terrible flow of gameplay (dungeon/story-town/grind-repeat), this game's story sequences are awesome. After a good chapter of building up the relationship between the robotic Argy and the cast, particularly Sol and Sarah,
Argy dies Robo's death, at the hands of a newer model of herself, dispatched by a rather villainous Cid.
It's as emotional as some of the old SNES games, I'd wager. Also, I know I've said it before, but Alba is far and away the best FF character since Balthier. Girl is comedy gold.

Some of the "arranged" tracks in this game sound awesome, to boot.

Dimensions is an overpriced game with some serious staggering issues, but if you can get past those two problems, I think you'll be in for a treat. Hell, some of you out there might even like the brutal difficulty. It's definitely a Tokita game in that regard. Say what you will of IV and TAY, but Tokita's games definitely pander to the super hard mode crowd (specifically IVDS, TAY, and D).

Final Fantasy Dimensions

So in spite of terrible flow of gameplay (dungeon/story-town/grind-repeat), this game's story sequences are awesome. After a good chapter of building up the relationship between the robotic Argy and the cast, particularly Sol and Sarah,
Argy dies Robo's death, at the hands of a newer model of herself, dispatched by a rather villainous Cid.
It's as emotional as some of the old SNES games, I'd wager. Also, I know I've said it before, but Alba is far and away the best FF character since Balthier. Girl is comedy gold.

Some of the "arranged" tracks in this game sound awesome, to boot.

Dimensions is an overpriced game with some serious staggering issues, but if you can get past those two problems, I think you'll be in for a treat. Hell, some of you out there might even like the brutal difficulty. It's definitely a Tokita game in that regard. Say what you will of IV and TAY, but Tokita's games definitely pander to the super hard mode crowd (specifically IVDS, TAY, and D).

Stop it, you're tempting me...

CorvoSol

Stop it, you're tempting me...

IF you have money to burn and IF you don't mind having to stop to grind at literally every town in the game for cash and EXP, THEN I recommend this game, which is more or less made to cater to that old school feel. You may also feel put off by the touch screen controls and the FFV ios remake graphics. Having no original to compare it to, though, I feel FFD's look isn't as offensive as FFV's. Plus the environments aren't as crappily thrown together.

IF you have money to burn and IF you don't mind having to stop to grind at literally every town in the game for cash and EXP, THEN I recommend this game, which is more or less made to cater to that old school feel. You may also feel put off by the touch screen controls and the FFV ios remake graphics. Having no original to compare it to, though, I feel FFD's look isn't as offensive as FFV's. Plus the environments aren't as crappily thrown together.

It sounds tempting, I just don't have any sort of phone to play it on sadly...dumb Windows Phone.

About 20 hours into FF Type Zero. I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Hope they do an HD remake and bring it out here because it makes me feel sad American fans aren't able to play this. The raw emotion in some of the scenes translates quite well even without knowing much Japanese. A few kinda fucked up scenes though. It's a very visually stunning and cinematic game. Damn surprising sometimes what they were able to do on PSP. Gameplay is really enjoyable and powering up and customizing my characters is intuitive. At first I was scared of the import barrier, but after a while the game just clicked. It was pretty easy to figure out where to go as well.

I think I need to slow down a bit before I run to the next story mission. I just fought
Gilgamesh
at the end of the most recent mission and was relieved as hell to not die at the end after being defeated. I have been rocking Cater, King, and Ace as LV 28 or so...while everyone else has been left pre-20. I have been abusing the hell out of Shiva and my characters are suffering.

Any easy exp gaining tips for this part of the game?

CorvoSol

It sounds tempting, I just don't have any sort of phone to play it on sadly...dumb Windows Phone.

You can play it on tablet, too, for whatever that's worth. I dunno, I think that Dimensions has the makings of a good game, but it has some serious issues that I think rightfully prevent people from playing it. It costs too much, the sprite work is just not up to the SNES era snuff, and it's Tokita hard.

But when you look past that, you still have a nice little adventure with 8 customizable characters and a fairly good assortment of job classes. I just unlocked "Memorist" last night, for instance. It's an entire job class based around Tellah's Recall ability, but it grants access to more than just magic.

About 20 hours into FF Type Zero. I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Hope they do an HD remake and bring it out here because it makes me feel sad American fans aren't able to play this. The raw emotion in some of the scenes translates quite well even without knowing much Japanese. A few kinda fucked up scenes though. It's a very visually stunning and cinematic game. Damn surprising sometimes what they were able to do on PSP. Gameplay is really enjoyable and powering up and customizing my characters is intuitive. At first I was scared of the import barrier, but after a while the game just clicked. It was pretty easy to figure out where to go as well.

I think I need to slow down a bit before I run to the next story mission. I just fought
Gilgamesh
at the end of the most recent mission and was relieved as hell to not die at the end after being defeated. I have been rocking Cater, King, and Ace as LV 28 or so...while everyone else has been left pre-20. I have been abusing the hell out of Shiva and my characters are suffering.

Any easy exp gaining tips for this part of the game?

Well, for one, I'd recommend building up Jack, since, after Ace, he's the most broken. His sword does absurd amounts of damage (using Ace to close distance and then swapping to Jack to attack is a good plan). I used Jack, Trey, and Seven most of the game and loved that group. You need to build up at least 6 PCs since at some points you will need to use 2 parties.

That said I can't provide building up tips since I just cheated for XP because I don't like to grind.

Well, for one, I'd recommend building up Jack, since, after Ace, he's the most broken. His sword does absurd amounts of damage (using Ace to close distance and then swapping to Jack to attack is a good plan). I used Jack, Trey, and Seven most of the game and loved that group. You need to build up at least 6 PCs since at some points you will need to use 2 parties.

That said I can't provide building up tips since I just cheated for XP because I don't like to grind.

Thanks. I just noticed I said I used King as one of my mains, I actually meant to say Jack. Glad to hear I am being wise leveling him up. I hate moving him around while he has his sword drawn, but yeah I was kinda surprised how hard some of his hits were. Guess I should concentrate on another three to keep leveled for situations. It's kinda hard to chose because they all play so differently.

Also, are those shadow party members who join during missions real people playing online?

CorvoSol

Thanks. I just noticed I said I used King as one of my mains, I actually meant to say Jack. Glad to hear I am being wise leveling him up. I hate moving him around while he has his sword drawn, but yeah I was kinda surprised how hard some of his hits were. Guess I should concentrate on another three to keep leveled for situations. It's kinda hard to chose because they all play so differently.

Also, are those shadow party members who join during missions real people playing online?

At this point I don't think that the shadows who join are people still playing online. Probably just AIs. I never used that feature, though.

I wish I had a tablet to play Dimensions on...I could just borrow my dad's Ipad but he uses that everyday and I'd have to drive out there to get it...meh

I just need another game like V with even more classes.

Type 0 is pretty kickass. Starting to see what I was talking about eh Grumpy?

I really wish I had played it sooner, but I was holding out for a translation or HD port. I just couldn't wait any longer. Played through FF I-IX in JP without issue, but for some reason this one scared me off. I think I was overwhelmed by all the characters and that first RTS-esque battle. In some ways I still am, but I have grown to enjoy playing them all (except maybe not Sice and her awkward scythes). Each character feels like an expendable tool in getting the mission done. There is a real strategic element in choosing who will lead the mission, and who will be there to finish it off if things go to shit. It's so satisfying to clear a mission with one dude left who's almost at the brink of death.

The world setting and lore seems incredible. I can tell a lot of time went into the design for the architecture, clothing, etc. If I could read that crystarium book in the library I would be in heaven. Hunting for lore notes in FF XII was one of my favorite things to do in that game.

But yeah, it is better than I could have ever hoped. I even enjoy it more than my beloved FF XIII in some ways. It just makes me sad that most US gamers won't get to play it, because it is pretty much incredible. Easily stands tall with the main numbered titles. If SE they did for this what was done for MGS Peacewalker HD I could see it impressing.

Top Bottom