• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I wish I had a tablet to play Dimensions on...I could just borrow my dad's Ipad but he uses that everyday and I'd have to drive out there to get it...meh

I just need another game like V with even more classes.

Well, D doesn't have more jobs, but it does have some that V didn't. Memorist, Dark Knight and Paladin come to mind right off the bat. If you haven't played Four Heroes of Light yet, I would highly recommend that. While it feels much like a cross-over of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, the game is one of the best looking DS games, the cast is okay, the music is good, and it has a class system chock full of jobs that you don't normally see in Final Fantasy (Seamstress and Party Host, for instance). It's right up there with Type-0 as best FF to come out last gen, and alongside DQ IX, Radiant Historia and The World Ends With You probably one of the best DS RPGs made.

Type 0 is pretty kickass. Starting to see what I was talking about eh Grumpy?

Such a good game. I'll probably save my next playthrough for the fan translation, though.

I really wish I had played it sooner, but I was holding out for a translation or HD port. I just couldn't wait any longer. Played through FF I-IX in JP without issue, but for some reason this one scared me off. I think I was overwhelmed by all the characters and that first RTS-esque battle. In some ways I still am, but I have grown to enjoy playing them all (except maybe not Sice and her awkward scythes). Each character feels like an expendable tool in getting the mission done. There is a real strategic element in choosing who will lead the mission, and who will be there to finish it off if things go to shit. It's so satisfying to clear a mission with one dude left who's almost at the brink of death.

The world setting and lore seems incredible. I can tell a lot of time went into the design for the architecture, clothing, etc. If I could read that crystarium book in the library I would be in heaven. Hunting for lore notes in FF XII was one of my favorite things to do in that game.

But yeah, it is better than I could have ever hoped. I even enjoy it more than my beloved FF XIII in some ways. It just makes me sad that most US gamers won't get to play it, because it is pretty much incredible. Easily stands tall with the main numbered titles. If SE they did for this what was done for MGS Peacewalker HD I could see it impressing.

Did you get the extra costumes? The extra costumes make it even more fun. Type-0 is also the only FF I've ever played that made me want to replay it immediately.

Well, she's orange/yellow when you first meet her in the Famicom version:

120px-FF3NES-CloudOfDarkness1a.gif

And invincible!

Noi

I loved that 4HoL was balanced around equipment and skills rather than levels. You could eventually reach a point where leveling up gave you no extra perks and since enemies scale with the party, using upgraded equipment and crown abilities to mitigate damage became the real focus rather than grinding to beat things.

Elementalist is the best job in the gaaaaaame.

CorvoSol

I loved that 4HoL was balanced around equipment and skills rather than levels. You could eventually reach a point where leveling up gave you no extra perks and since enemies scale with the party, using upgraded equipment and crown abilities to mitigate damage became the real focus rather than grinding to beat things.

I kinda felt like Adventurer was the best class, but that's because it had access to all abilities.

Labadal

Wasn't there supposed to be a FFXV trailer from GC2013? Or am I completely misremembering? I swear, I think I read something about that before GC started.

Noi

I kinda felt like Adventurer was the best class, but that's because it had access to all abilities.

When you put it that way sure, but having a passive 50% reduction to elemental stuff and can even turn that into healing with the right setup... I don't think I ever had Jusqua (who was my elementalist) die on me.

xist

Maybe it's down to my inexperience of these ports but is it just me or is that font awful...the character portraits getting cut off is stupid, but that font is hideous.

Ultratech

When you put it that way sure, but having a passive 50% reduction to elemental stuff and can even turn that into healing with the right setup... I don't think I ever had Jusqua (who was my elementalist) die on me.

Yup. With an Elementalist and the proper elemental Shields, you can make a ton of boss fights a complete joke.

Too bad Elementalist sucks for regular fights.

Think my default party was generally Hero, Black Mage, Salve-Maker (infinite healing items ho!), and some other job that defaulted to Elementalist in boss fights.

Best thing I liked in the game was the little background that came up when you continued which grew with icons and stuff the further you got into the game. Very neat touch.

Christ, that's just hideous.

Can I pretend that game doesn't exist?

Noi

Maybe it's down to my inexperience of these ports but is it just me or is that font awful...the character portraits getting cut off is stupid, but that font is hideous.

The fonts that SE use for their mobile games aren't very good, no.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, it took me 3.5 years but I finally managed to reach the end of FF XIII...

...just to realize the final battle is bullshit. First there's the tedious Barthandelus battle, and then Orphan. And if Orphan kills you, tough luck, go fight the shitty Barthandelus battle again. Fuck this game.

Any good tips on how to easily defeat Orphan?

...just to realize the final battle is bullshit. First there's the tedious Barthandelus battle, and then Orphan. And if Orphan kills you, tough luck, go fight the shitty Barthandelus battle again. Fuck this game.

First thing to do is to buy Cherub Crowns for everyone, and then upgrade them into Seraph's Crowns. This should lower the chances of his Death attack working. Besides that, I would say head back to Gran Pulse and do some Marks to raise your levels for a bit. If that Bart fight before Orphan is tedious I would say you might be underlevelled.

Also, if you level up the "Grimoire Hat" accessory to max and then disassemble it you get an Elixer. That should most certainly come in handy.

I do know Orphan is vulnerable to poison though. I heard that helps rip him up quite good if you get that status on him early in the fight.

Wazzy

Banned
VII: Almost have everyone at 99, just Tifa and Barret are left and they're early 90's right now. After that I guess I'll do the Final Attack materia and then kill Ruby and Emerald. I should have beaten this game at least a week ago but I haven't had much time to play lately.

Fou-Lu

Finished FFVII, from this point on my FF play through is all games I have never completed before. (Though I've come really close with most of them, especially FFIX, I've owned 4 copies of that game and a disc always gets destroyed somehow before I beat it -_-)

In fact I've barely played VIII so I'm interested in seeing how I feel about it.

I also don't expect powering through XIII to be fun, I have never been as bored in a game as the last time I played that, but I'll manage.

EDIT: Should I try to track down a PSX copy of FFVIII? Or just go with the PSN version?

Labadal

Use poison, you'll start laughing when he dies in 2 minutes.

xist

EDIT: Should I try to track down a PSX copy of FFVIII? Or just go with the PSN version?

Given the love/loathe division on it, and the potential for scratched discs, the PSN version may be a better initial choice...i thoroughly enjoyed a no level replay on my PSP a few months ago. Although i'd consider thinking about how you're going to approach the game before you start with respect to levelling.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Use poison, you'll start laughing when he dies in 2 minutes.

Hm.. I might try this. Hope it works, as I'd rather not go do a ton of dull mark hunts just to grind :p

Edit: Tried it, did jack shit to him, so I'm back to starting the Barthandelus fight. Again. Fuck this shit, I'll just watch the ending on YouTube and go straight for FF XIII-2.

Fou-Lu

I think then it's time for you to play the shit out of it.

PSN version since you can choose between portable or home console.

Hope you enjoy one of the best FF's. ;D

I hope my feelings for the game will mirror your's after I play it! I'm thinking PSN probably is the way to go considering I own a Vita.

Wazzy

Banned
I hope my feelings for the game will mirror your's after I play it! I'm thinking PSN probably is the way to go considering I own a Vita.

Some tips:

-Explore and talk to everything. Like VII, there's little hidden details that flesh out the world and people. A place to start would be Garden and the classroom terminals.

-VIII allows you to play the game however you want so if you like job systems, you can actually create a structure similar to classic FF's by appointing each character a specific job. Squall as Warrior, Zell as Monk, etc. If you like breaking your game and rushing through bosses like they're nothing, Card mod and refining are your friends(they're also good if you want to avoid the tedious Draw route) so get them immediatley.

Hope you enjoy it too!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm.. I might try this. Hope it works, as I'd rather not go do a ton of dull mark hunts just to grind :p

Edit: Tried it, did jack shit to him, so I'm back to starting the Barthandelus fight. Again. Fuck this shit, I'll just watch the ending on YouTube and go straight for FF XIII-2.
Poor Combi. Gave up before getting advice from yours truly. I'd posted this in another thread. Hope it helps.

Have three Cherub's Crowns on your party leader. It'll save them from instadeath.

I've noticed that people generally like to use Light/Hope/Fang for some reason, so I'll give a strategy for that team (for reference, my party was Hope/Vanille/Fang).

Are you in the battle? Good, now hit pause and select Retry. It'll bring the menu up. Go into the Paradigms/Optima section and rearrange your Optima to this:

Light/Hope/Fang
COM/RAV/COM <--used when stagger gauge is at 999%
RAV/RAV/COM <--used to stagger, and also for Lightning's Army of One
MED/MED/SEN <---Paradigm you should start with. Set it to default.
COM/RAV/SEN <--In case you think he's hitting too hard but you need to stagger anyway
RAV/RAV/SEN <--fast stagger but remember COMs reduce depletion of the break Gauge
MED/SYN/SAB <--buff/debuff

Notes:
-Whenever you see the words "Merciless Judgement" appear on the screen, switch to MED/MED/SEN (Combat Clinic) immediately. This is because you will not be able to do anything when the boss carries out the attack

1) open with MED/MED/SEN. Wait until it uses Merciless Judgement.

2) switch to MED/SYN/SAB. Let Hope give all 6 buffs to everyone and for Fang to hit it with slow

3) switch to RAV/RAV/COM when the enemy is debuffed with Slow at least. I can't remember if it's weak against Imperil, but that's a good debuff too.

4) remember to switch to med/med/syn whenever it uses Merciless Judgement. When the first stagger gauge depletes (ie: after you've staggered it--remember to use Lightning's Army of One to drive the break gauge to 999% before switching to Com/Rav/Com to hit it hard), switch to med/med/sen to wait for Merciless Judgement

5) Ignore when it hits you with status effects in its Consummate Darkness mode. It doesn't matter in the long run and they expire on their own. If you think you need to heal from that, use Renew. Don't bother switching into Med/Med/Sen just to heal status ailments and stay with Rav/Rav/Com until you stagger it. don't attack it when it's staggered just yet. Switch back to Med/Syn/Sab and replenish buffs you need. Then switch to Com/Rav/Com

6) switch to Med/Med/Sen when it uses Merciless Judgement. Then go back to Rav/Rav/Com and switch to Med/Med/Sen when you see Merciless Judgement on the screen.

7) you should be safe from Progenitorial Wrath since you have Cherub's Crowns on your leader. Use Phoenix Downs if people die. Don't waste time and switch to Med/Med/Sen if you don't need it just to revive someone. It's inefficient.

8) To take it down, switch to Rav/Rav/Com, stagger, and then use Lightning's Army of One attack just to drive the gauge up to 999%, then switch to Com/Rav/Com. If he doesn't go down yet, repeat the process until he does.

For reference, I did this fight with Tier-1 weapons and accessories. I did it when I hit the level cap for that chapter. You don't need to dismantle anything and use a ton of stuff to save your butt. Just work fast with your fingers.

Heropon

This FFXIII talk has reminded me that I payed too much for its strategy guide. I can't believe it was 33% more expensive than XII's one and it was muuuuuuuch smaller and absolutely less useful. Thanks to it I could survive the Great Crystal without getting crazy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
To be fair, there's a lot more to discuss in FFXII than in FFXIII. Not much they could have put in there. Though FFXII's was the first time I ever preferred the Bradygames guide over the Piggyback one.

Heropon

I find funny how XIII's guide is bigger than the X-2's one with much less information. At a first glance it has bigger pictures and graphs that fill entire pages, so they did a good job putting as much filler as they could. Of course, that adds to the "value".

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Supposedly Lightning Returns will be introducing a new character into the sad epic. A non-returning character for the trilogy.

Don't be surprised if it's something like Umotom Amayirot

CorvoSol

I loved reading the guide for XII, though I think I was fascinated more by the pretty pictures, the art for that game is great.

Yoshida deserves more screen time. I always feel sad when people take digs at III DS because I thought Yoshida did a good job bringing that game a new look. And, as previously established in this thread, Four Heroes of Light is a very nice looking game.

I find funny how XIII's guide is bigger than the X-2's one with much less information. At a first glance it has bigger pictures and graphs that fill entire pages, so they did a good job putting as much filler as they could. Of course, that adds to the "value".

They designed the guide like they designed the game.

CorvoSol

At least they aren't as bad as the IX guide: How to defeat Ozma: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to get gil: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to open the menu: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to see Playonline: SEE PLAYONLINE.

My only regret with IX guide was not buying that beautiful art book that sat right next to the shelf with it...THANKFULLY, I've rectified that mistake

Shadow780

At least they aren't as bad as the IX guide: How to defeat Ozma: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to get gil: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to open the menu: SEE PLAYONLINE. How to see Playonline: SEE PLAYONLINE.

I never used a guide exclusively once GFaqs was up, although the early days there are TONS of threads with spoiler in the title that were unregulated, people are assholes no matter what.

Natetan

Yoshida deserves more screen time. I always feel sad when people take digs at III DS because I thought Yoshida did a good job bringing that game a new look. And, as previously established in this thread, Four Heroes of Light is a very nice looking game.

I don't like the blocky ds graphics at all. I don't know how people rag on ffvii character models but seem to have no problem with the ff ds games. At least in ff vii they were breaking new ground and have some kind of excuse.

The ff games from my childhood were not a chibi blocky mess, at least not in my minds eye or the way the represented the game with western art style.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't like the blocky ds graphics at all. I don't know how people rag on ffvii character models but seem to have no problem with the ff ds games. At least in ff vii they were breaking new ground and have some kind of excuse.

The ff games from my childhood were not a chibi blocky mess, at least not in my minds eye or the way the represented the game with western art style.

FF3 DS and FF4 DS at least don't look like lego rejects.

Top Bottom