• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I disagree. The graphic presentation of both these games was unenjoyable

You are free to do so but know it is subjective and can be interpreted differently to a individual.

I will say BDFF looks a lot better due to the artstyle it plays around with.

FF3 and FF4 didn't really faze me since it's something that I've already seen before.

I've already played these games on NES and SNES so the presentation never bothered me to begin with.

Wazzy

Banned
I disagree. The graphic presentation of both these games was unenjoyable
That's all preference. I quite enjoy the artstyle however I would have preferred IV get fully formed humans rather than that style. Just didn't suit the game for me.

CorvoSol

I don't like the blocky ds graphics at all. I don't know how people rag on ffvii character models but seem to have no problem with the ff ds games. At least in ff vii they were breaking new ground and have some kind of excuse.

The ff games from my childhood were not a chibi blocky mess, at least not in my minds eye or the way the represented the game with western art style.

Probably because the FFVII models look awful and terrible and the III and IV ones look better by comparison? It's not rocket science here. VII looks so, so, so bad.

Natetan

Probably because the FFVII models look awful and terrible and the III and IV ones look better by comparison? It's not rocket science here. VII looks so, so, so bad.

FFVII was a time when they didnt know how to represent there characters in 3d and they were trying a bunch of things. It looks terrible but it was forgivable.

The DS games make the mistake of revisiting that style. That isnt forgivable.

I at least have nostalgia to pull me through on FFVII. Nothing pulling me through those DS kawaii blocky terribleness. At least FFVII character models werent all cat ears and big hoody mages etc. I just can't enjoy this

finalfantasy3.jpg

1554.png

Wazzy

Banned
I'm confused, one job has cat ears and suddenly the entire game does? Both images you posted are gorgeous, especially the one showing all the classes.

There's really no argument about which game has better graphics. If you want to argue art design, then be my guest because I would probably back you up but the polygonal blocks in VII are awful. Great for their time, awful now and in comparison.

Natetan

I guess for me it's jarring going from what was presented in the US when I originally played final fantasy as this:
14t0bb9.jpg

to that chibi frumpy big hats cutsey cutsey that the mobile ff games have become.

Noi

I don't think you're gonna get many points drawing comparisons to North American RPG art from the 80's-90's where it was 90% of the time never accurate to what was in game.

Sup FF-Gaf. I bought FFXIII a few months ago and I'm finally getting into it (~12 hours in). This was my first FF and I think I'm diggin it. I'm hoping that you guys can give me some recommendations for games to look into after XIII. I know there's XIII-2 (and LR after that), but I kinda want to explore the other FF worlds. I have a 3DS, PS3, and Wii U at my disposal. Any ideas?

Also if knowing my tastes helps, I haven't played many RPGs, but I did play and enjoy Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and the Secret of Mana.

CorvoSol

I don't think you're gonna get many points drawing comparisons to North American RPG art from the 80's-90's where it was 90% of the time never accurate to what was in game.

It was also hilariously fugly. I mean, Schala posted some of the FFIV pictures during her playthrough.

dXjhKLI.jpg

I suppose it boils down to a matter of taste
except in this case
, but really, I cannot in good conscience say Terada's old FF art is up to Yoshida's snuff.

Wazzy

Banned
Sup FF-Gaf. I bought FFXIII a few months ago and I'm finally getting into it (~12 hours in). This was my first FF and I think I'm diggin it. I'm hoping that you guys can give me some recommendations for games to look into after XIII. I know there's XIII-2 (and LR after that), but I kinda want to explore the other FF worlds. I have a 3DS, PS3, and Wii U at my disposal. Any ideas?

Also if knowing my tastes helps, I haven't played many RPGs, but I did play and enjoy Lufia and the Fortress of Doom and the Secret of Mana.
I would say work your way down so since X is coming out soon maybe start with XII, VII or VIII. IX is more classic style so maybe play it with the older ones.

Natetan

It was also hilariously fugly. I mean, Schala posted some of the FFIV pictures during her playthrough.

dXjhKLI.jpg

I suppose it boils down to a matter of taste
except in this case
, but really, I cannot in good conscience say Terada's old FF art is up to Yoshida's snuff.

Looks better than dissidia Cecil.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wish Red Mage in FF had DAT STACHE.

But no in our Final Fantasy we get the girly men. Girly men everywhere.

I only have people like Jecht and GILGAMESH to fulfill the manly man quota and most of the time GILGAMESH is more ugly spider ogre troll monster man thing going raa raa berserker gimme your weapons you heathens and then proceeds to kick your ass and usually trips off a bridge or wasn't fighting at his best or he let the heroes win or some such other good excuse for why he forfeited the match out of respect. He never ACTUALLY loses since if he gave his all you wouldn't be able to win. EVER. So be glad he gives you a weapon, or some equips or even some EXP. The large ham does it for the player.

Yay GILGAMESH rant!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Poor Combi. Gave up before getting advice from yours truly. I'd posted this in another thread. Hope it helps.

For reference, I did this fight with Tier-1 weapons and accessories. I did it when I hit the level cap for that chapter. You don't need to dismantle anything and use a ton of stuff to save your butt. Just work fast with your fingers.

I'll give this a try when I have the time (I barely have the time to play the vidya these days due to work, socializing with friends etc.), but if I still can't beat him I'll just watch the ending on youtube :p

Natetan

Final fantasy is like the Simpsons. It used to be amazing and square could nothing wrong. Basically everything released after final fantasy tactics has been flawed. Until then the series was like mana from the gods. To me anyway.

CorvoSol

Looks better than dissidia Cecil.

Not even as a joke.

Palom and Porom by the same man:

But no in our Final Fantasy we get the girly men. Girly men everywhere.

I only have people like Jecht and GILGAMESH to fulfill the manly man quota and most of the time GILGAMESH is more ugly spider ogre troll monster man thing going raa raa berserker gimme your weapons you heathens and then proceeds to kick your ass and usually trips off a bridge or wasn't fighting at his best or he let the heroes win or some such other good excuse for why he forfeited the match out of respect. He never ACTUALLY loses since if he gave his all you wouldn't be able to win. EVER. So be glad he gives you a weapon, or some equips or even some EXP. The large ham does it for the player.

Yay GILGAMESH rant!

Girly men like Jecht, and Tellah, and Cyan, and Strago, and King, and Banon, and Auron, and Basch and Sazh. Where do you live that women look like this, somewhere in the former Soviet bloc? *rimshot*

It's not like Japan is any less guilty of the same:

xZTJLPj.png

Wazzy

Banned
Red Warrior Of Light is true WoL. I wish that had been his official design and not an alt. Same with short haired Cecil.

Oh and 'scuse y'all but Squall, Seifer, Raijin and Gabranth aren't girly men. They're male models. Sexier than all your faves.

Red Warrior Of Light is true WoL. I wish that had been his official design and not an alt. Same with short haired Cecil.

Oh and 'scuse y'all but Squall, Seifer, Raijin and Gabranth aren't girly men. They're male models. Sexier than all your faves.

Well, official or not, the red fighter technically came first. Kazuko Shibuya created all the characters as sprites first; she was essentially the character designer of FF1, although the term is a bit anachronistic for 1987. Yoshitaka Amano made artwork "based" on those sprites later on.

(Note that this was not the case for the monsters: Amano drew concept art first and then Shibuya and a few others like Takashi Tokita replicated his art in pixel art form).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Qator Bashtar is better though.

CorvoSol

Land of the Dwarves.

All is explained.

That's why I love that alt and I use it all the time.

Best WoL costume by far.

Gabraanth is like the naked mole rat version of Basch. He doesn't have that incredible beard, and so he hides his face in shame. (Unlike Golbez, who shaves so people will stop mistaking him for God.)

Well, official or not, the red fighter technically came first. Kazuko Shibuya created all the characters as sprites first; she was essentially the character designer of FF1, although the term is a bit anachronistic for 1987. Yoshitaka Amano made artwork "based" on those sprites later on.

(Note that this was not the case for the monsters: Amano drew concept art first and then Shibuya and a few others like Takashi Tokita replicated his art in pixel art form).

Good golly, Tokita's been working at Square a long, long time, huh?

Wazzy

Banned
Gabraanth is like the naked mole rat version of Basch. He doesn't have that incredible beard, and so he hides his face in shame. (Unlike Golbez, who shaves so people will stop mistaking him for God.)
Yeah but Gabranth has the sexier haircut. It's so sexy that Basch decides to copy him.

Golbez should cut his hair, then he can have the beard.
Nope. No stores have it over here yet, and I want the physical copy :(
I haven't checked yet but I also want a physical copy so here's hoping my EB has it.

CorvoSol

Yeah but Gabranth has the sexier haircut. It's so sexy that Basch decides to copy him.

Golbez should cut his hair, then he can have the beard.

I haven't checked yet but I also want a physical copy so here's hoping my EB has it.

Is it not crime enough that we be deprived of his glorious mane? If Golbez had FuSoYa's beard, he would be an unstoppable juggernaut of pure good looks.

Wazzy

Banned
Is it not crime enough that we be deprived of his glorious mane? If Golbez had FuSoYa's beard, he would be an unstoppable juggernaut of pure good looks.
I just don't like long hair Cor. I tried with Laguna and even opened up to Jecht but I just can't love it. I'm sorry.
iQkklbssfd4bb.png

CorvoSol

That's too much man for one FF game.

MANBez invites you to fight him atop the Giant of MANbel. He's gonna show you why the MAN on the Moon is always smiling.

I just don't like long hair Cor. I tried with Laguna and even opened up to Jecht but I just can't love it. I'm sorry.
iQkklbssfd4bb.png

All the truly greatest men in JRPGs have had hair hanging from one part of their head or another. DunMAN, Thunder GOD Cid, MANBez, uuuuuh

You know, I feel ashamed to admit this, but I have played very few JRPG series outside of SE owned ones. Like, I've played a hilarious number of FF, KH, SoM and a few TO games, but that's it. Outside of Square, I've played what? Two DQ games not counting Monsters, Radiant Historia, Last Story, SRW, and like, that's all I can think of. I mean, aside from Nintendo JRPGs. I've played a ton of Pokemon, all of the Earthbound and GoldenSun games, the Mario and Luigi series, two Fire Emblem games and part of a third, and I'm most of the way through Xenoblade.

But like, I have never played a single Persona/SMT or Tales game. I played Contact, but that's about it. I never played any of the Lufia games. I never played a Paper Mario aside from the one for 3DS, I never beat SMRPG, and yeah. I feel really bad about it.

I guess if I don't hate JRPGs forever by the time I finally finish this FF run-through I've been slogging through for 2 years now, I might finally look into things like Tales and Persona. Not Dragon Quest, though. Those games go on FOREVER. You can start one today and finish by the time your children are in their eighties.

Man In Black Golbez is pretty much how I would depict a FF1 Black Wizard. Or it's just Magus from Chrono Trigger.

Magus wishes he had them kind of muscles.

Wazzy

Banned
Well yeah beards are sexy, it's just long hair ain't my style. Cid is such a stud(FF tactics Cid, VII Cid could get some too) and he's got short hair and a nice beard. :D

Red Mage

I hope my feelings for the game will mirror your's after I play it! I'm thinking PSN probably is the way to go considering I own a Vita.

One other tip: don't worry too much about getting everyone's best weapons. The damage difference is minor and only Squall's weapon has any importance, game-wise (it unlocks better limit breaks).

Never. : )

Heropon

One other tip: don't worry too much about getting everyone's best weapons. The damage difference is minor and only Squall's weapon has any importance, game-wise (it unlocks better limit breaks).

Selphie's final weapon raises her accuracy to 255 so it transforms her into a Cactuar serial murderer.

CorvoSol

SMT games are special because they are like gangs.

To get in, you got to get beat in.

So enjoy.

I just hope I don't regret the purchase like I did Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Which isn't to say that I think MonHunFU is bad, just that I don't think it was for me. Like, there was no plot, and no locking on.

I just hope I don't regret the purchase like I did Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Which isn't to say that I think MonHunFU is bad, just that I don't think it was for me. Like, there was no plot, and no locking on.

Well there's a plot in SMT and it's although it's common ground for the series it gets the job done.

Just remember if you are having trouble, it means you need to fuse demons.

Fuse. Fuse. Fuse. All day erry day.

Top Bottom