• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

fates

I just hope I don't regret the purchase like I did Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Which isn't to say that I think MonHunFU is bad, just that I don't think it was for me. Like, there was no plot, and no locking on.

For me that was a plus for MH. Since I like to play RPGs a lot it was nice to get something that boiled down to just basically "yeah you go out and beat up huge monsters and wear their hides" that still had some stellar art design behind it. But I really had fun with the games when Gen 2 came around (Gen 1 was like pulling teeth sometimes...), and that kept me in the series.

And the gameplay will always be that polarizing element... there are those who love it, and those who find it very off-putting.

Guys, I just discovered "Texts from Final Fantasy XIII"

tumblr_mq28szUjUH1r8uo3io1_1280.png

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS SOONER!?

Anyway, I'm looking to get into Final Fantasy XII pretty soon here. Anyone got some tips for what I should expect?

CorvoSol

For me that was a plus for MH. Since I like to play RPGs a lot it was nice to get something that boiled down to just basically "yeah you go out and beat up huge monsters and wear their hides" that still had some stellar art design behind it. But I really had fun with the games when Gen 2 came around (Gen 1 was like pulling teeth sometimes...), and that kept me in the series.

And the gameplay will always be that polarizing element... there are those who love it, and those who find it very off-putting.

I dunno, I just felt sorta lacking in any real reason to play it, particularly since PSP's internet capabilities were nil back then. It isn't a bad game, it just didn't click with me, y'know? But not locking on is what really kinda got me. Just couldn't cope with 1 analogue and no locking on. If I had a second analogue, maybe, but 1 and no lock on is rough stuff.

Guys, I just discovered "Texts from Final Fantasy XIII"

tumblr_mq28szUjUH1r8uo3io1_1280.png

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS SOONER!?

Anyway, I'm looking to get into Final Fantasy XII pretty soon here. Anyone got some tips for what I should expect?

Texts from Class Zero were funny, too.

Wazzy

Banned
Mime.KOTR. Mime. KOTR. MimeKOTRMimeKOTRMimeKOTRMim-

Yeah so finally done with Emerald. All characters are at 99 and I got the Final Attack materia. Now just Ruby and I'll finally finish VII. Did I mention Mime and KOTR?

Noi

I dunno, people in the official forums were whining there are too many healers running around!

I WISH we had more healing classes. It's dumb that the game won't allow Arcanist to use the Duty Finder as a healer, limiting the healing classes to just one.

Meanwhile we have five classes that the game counts as damage dealers. No shortage of those anywhere.

Manu

Is it me, or dialogue in FFIV is pretty great?

I mean, I can't say why exactly but something about it makes it sound (or read) miles ahead of the other games. Weird.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I mean, I can't say why exactly but something about it makes it sound (or read) miles ahead of the other games. Weird.

I can envision a very cheesy voiceacted experience that would make me vomit. And it exists.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Oh, come on. FF IV's dialogue is horrible, in any version. Saying this is great writing is like saying you should take Mystic Quest Legend's story seriously.
Play FFV GBA, much better written.

Manu

I'm not saying it's great writing (it's not, it's standard FF nonsense) but it sound less goofy than some of the other games.

It probably would sound cheesy as hell when read aloud, but as only text it works well imo.

...Although I'm clearly alone in this, I really didn't know it was so hated.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hey guys what are we talking about in here are we talking about good ff games

Still waiting for the FF4 port to Atari and Commodore64. Don't let me down Square.

Sons of bitches

noYe0Tq.gif

Why is it that every time I peek in here, someone's talking about FF4?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why does FF4 get endlessly ported and remade anyway?

Do people really like it that much?

I mean really.

Something something coasting on past successes something something please be excited to give us undeserved money on shoddy ports something something

-------------

Probably the gist of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And people would still BUY IT ANYWAY.
They'll release another version on FF5's 25th anniversary. :D

I bought the PSP version thinking that "oh hey, maybe the game would be better with auto-battle!" and it wasn't. I've thoroughly washed my hands of that game in that playthrough I did on GAF last year. I don't like it.

(Let's discount the fact that I own six versions of the stupid thing, ok? SNES, WSC, GBA, PS1, DS, PSP... so if you wondered why my playthrough was long, there's the reason why.)

CorvoSol

Yeah I really like-

100%

EDIT: I'm playing the PSP version, maybe that has something to do with it?

Ew, no, the PSP version has a neutered version of the script with all the cool lines taken out. Golbez doesn't get to do like, any of his most badass things in that version.

hey guys what are we talking about in here are we talking about good ff games

noYe0Tq.gif

Why is it that every time I peek in here, someone's talking about FF4?

'Cuz FF4 is great!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Corvo, pls.

The only time FF4 was interesting was when we started making photoshops of screenshots that included the Dragonzord, enemies from other Squaresoft games, and the entire part where I put Cecil into Earthbound because I got to the part where the game started to suck for me and I wanted an outlet.

We’re in some place called “Moonside”? We’re going to the Moon? What? The Moon is a place in the sky and we can’t possibly go there. We’ve just invented Airships, after all. We don’t even know what the Moon is like! I suppose that because of this dream, Batman expresses an unconscious desire to go to the Moon somehow. Well, that’ll never ever happen.

We should probably talk to some NPCs to see what’s going on in here. Maybe at least one of them will be helpful…

01WJp.png

tBCZE.gif

One. of. these. days.

>:I
Square don't care about FF5. It's something we just need to accept. -_-

Manu

Ew, no, the PSP version has a neutered version of the script with all the cool lines taken out. Golbez doesn't get to do like, any of his most badass things in that version.

Is it a case of sticking too much to the original script, removing any personality the original translation added to it?

Fou-Lu

Welp, triple triad is addicting as hell, but the game itself has yet to hook me. The level scaling really bugs me because I love grinding.

Corvo, pls.

The only time FF4 was interesting was when we started making photoshops of screenshots that included the Dragonzord, enemies from other Squaresoft games, and the entire part where I put Cecil into Earthbound because I got to the part where the game started to suck for me and I wanted an outlet.

Square don't care about FF5. It's something we just need to accept. -_-

You and your hatred of such a great game...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, once was the regular playthrough, and the other was the speedrun that I did because I lost a bargain with one of our GAF lurkers. *shrug*

Gave the game back to my cousin who sold it.

CorvoSol

Is it a case of sticking too much to the original script, removing any personality the original translation added to it?

It's just really watered down. Like, the SNES version has that goof noncharm that people are more defensive about when the game is FF6, and the GBA remake is just a slight cleaning up of that, but then the DS remake rolled around, and while we lost some classic scenes
Golbez' hand > Cecil's entire party, Cecil and Rosa making out right in front of Kain
, we also got some new, cool stuff
Golbez making Rosa disappear with his cape, hell that whole introductory scene, "Bid Farewell to Your Bloodstained Past", Golbez' entire explanation that he was evil without Zemus' help,
but also the purple script kinda made things hilariously bad at times, like the Mysidian Legend became literally unreadable and everyone said "boon" too many times. Then the PSP version cut out all the cool stuff with the bad (Mysidian Legend is readable, but the DS version's awesome tagline is gone, for instance) and all of the niftier visual stuff.

So in the end, the PSP version just doesn't have things like
Golbez' hand, Cecil and Rosa makin' out, the magic cape, the badass speech atop Mt. Ordeals etc, etc.
As the sole fan of FF4 in this community, those were all fairly memorable moments. I mean, the basic plot is still there and if you're already enjoying it, you'll still be fine, but I just felt like the PSP version's script was kinda watered down, and not for the best at times.

It's still very pretty, and for the price with the inclusion of TAY it is definitely a worthwhile buy, especially if you somehow don't own FF4 yet.

This is the part where I half-shamefully confess that I own the SNES, GBA, Wii (for TAY) and PSP versions of this game, but not the DS, which I kinda think is the best because the Augment system gives the game a much needed element of customization.

You should replay VI, I think you'll like it.

On another note...did anyone have this experience like I did in XIII? I fought Neochu and basically used Death with Vanille until it hit (Or reset the right, which was hours and hours of attempts), only for it to hit and then almost lose the fight ANYWAY because you thought all those little Picochu's would die when Neochu bit the dust? Because I almost did and I really hate those little guys.

Red Mage

Welp, triple triad is addicting as hell, but the game itself has yet to hook me. The level scaling really bugs me because I love grinding.

I'd look up a FAQ for Triple Triad before you get too far into the game. After a while you start running into special rules which you can spread like the plague if you're not careful. There's one in particular where, even if you win the game, the computer still gets to keep all of the cards they flipped.

Why does FF4 get endlessly ported and remade anyway?

Do people really like it that much?

I mean really.

I've been waiting for a remake of FF6 for so long, that I'm afraid what they'd do to it now. : (
but also the purple script kinda made things hilariously bad at times, like the Mysidian Legend became literally unreadable and everyone said "boon" too many times. Then the PSP version cut out all the cool stuff with the bad (Mysidian Legend is readable, but the DS version's awesome tagline is gone, for instance) and all of the niftier visual stuff.

That legend never made any sense to me in any of the versions of the game I've played.

Heropon

On another note...did anyone have this experience like I did in XIII? I fought Neochu and basically used Death with Vanille until it hit (Or reset the right, which was hours and hours of attempts), only for it to hit and then almost lose the fight ANYWAY because you thought all those little Picochu's would die when Neochu bit the dust? Because I almost did and I really hate those little guys.

The first time I killed Neochu I didn't plan ahead and they defeated me, so yes, I hate them.

Manu

So in the end, the PSP version just doesn't have things like
Golbez' hand, Cecil and Rosa makin' out, the magic cape, the badass speech atop Mt. Ordeals etc, etc.
As the sole fan of FF4 in this community, those were all fairly memorable moments. I mean, the basic plot is still there and if you're already enjoying it, you'll still be fine, but I just felt like the PSP version's script was kinda watered down, and not for the best at times.

I'm pretty sure I saw the first two. Weird.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Came across a rumor about Type 0 that apparently surfaced. I'm looking into it as best I can. Probably nothing though.

Edit: Yeah I think it's nothing.

Heropon

I've loaded a Final Fantasy IV save earlier to record it and my laptop started getting hot, hot, hot. It must be a signal, I feel it.

CorvoSol

Corvo, pls.

Say it with me: Darth Vader. Pilots a Super Robot. That you fight in. Voiced by the Chairman of Kitchen Stadium. How is that not interesting? I mean the guy is Dragon Moon Magic Darth Vader in a Giant Robot! You punch out the literal embodiment of hatred! Men from the moon look like mops when they die! FF4's second act is a glorious display of fun times.
I know you don't agree, but I wanted to say Darth Vader in a Giant Robot anyway. Sue me.

That legend never made any sense to me in any of the versions of the game I've played.

Ironically, I think the PSP version is the most straightforward of them. The stuff about one born of a dragon refers simultaneously to Cecil and the Lunar Whale (note that the Mysidia peninsula looks like a dragon). It's kinda neat in that
in the DS version, Zemus taunts a young Golbez by calling him "one born of dragon's corpse", and Golbez is allegedly a mistransliteration of "Golubaeser" a legendary fly born from a dragon's corpse.

I'm pretty sure I saw the first two. Weird.

Sorry, maybe I'm jumbling. Some things got lost from the DS and some from the SNES. I dunno. Mostly I just didn't like the script to the game. It still looked great.

Came across a rumor about Type 0 that apparently surfaced. I'm looking into it as best I can. Probably nothing though.

Edit: Yeah I think it's nothing.

So share it with us, then!

I've loaded a Final Fantasy IV save earlier to record it and my laptop started getting hot, hot, hot. It must be a signal, I feel it.

Cecil is hot. Just ask the fifty million ladies in his entire world in love with him.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So share it with us, then!

So yeah. I guess some rumor of a trademark for a FF Type 0-2 was floating around so I went looking around and it came up dry and so I had Kagari look into it and we found nothing of it. I did find a web domain(probably domain protection or something) was registered on 8/19/2013 so eh.

So yeah. Waste of time. But at least I know it's most likely a doozy.

But there are trademarks for LIBRA EORZEA and PLAY ARTS!

Yay...I care...so much...ugh...for Orience...

*sigh*

CorvoSol

I don't remember anyone else besides Rosa and I must remind you that all those women in Troia's pub don't count.

Do you know why Edgar Geraldine is single after 17 years? Because Rydia wants Cecil's Dknight. The women in Troia might be prostitutes, but on the other hand, the name of the Pub is "King's Bounty," and last time I checked, there was no King in Troia. The neighboring kingdom to the Southeast, BARON, has a king, though. Cecil Harvey. And as of TAY
Rydia is cloned like a billion times to form the Maenad army, and all the Maenads seem to enjoy spending time with Cecil.

The only man more desireable in the world of FFIV is Golbez, and he left the planet because it couldn't contain that much GAR.

So yeah. I guess some rumor of a trademark for a FF Type 0-2 was floating around so I went looking around and it came up dry and so I had Kagari look into it and we found nothing of it. I did find a web domain(probably domain protection or something) was registered on 8/19/2013 so eh.

So yeah. Waste of time. But at least I know it's most likely a doozy.

But there are trademarks for LIBRA EORZEA and PLAY ARTS!

Yay...I care...so much...ugh...for Orience...

*sigh*

Sad day.

Top Bottom