• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Some years ago, i had tried playing Tactics, and had gotten past halfgame, but had gotten bored due to Monk Ninjas and playing the unpatched WotL version.
I started playing again, and WHOAH.

That's a candidate for Greatest Game of All Time here. How could young me be so foolish? (I guess triple animation time due to slowdown helped)

Red Mage

Some years ago, i had tried playing Tactics, and had gotten past halfgame, but had gotten bored due to Monk Ninjas and playing the unpatched WotL version.

That's a candidate for Greatest Game of All Time here. How could young me be so foolish? (I guess triple animation time due to slowdown helped)

I love Tactics (if you couldn't guess). Half of my enjoyment of XII is that it's the same world as tactics. I really wish we'd get a proper sequel. FFTAs are fine, but the stories suck.

Wazzy

Banned
Tactics is my second favourite FF. I love replaying it and switching up my jobs to beat the game. I couldn't ever beat the secret dungeon because I wanted the character plus the Zodiac spell and all the weapons in the floors but kept failing lol.

Oh and WOTL is wayyyyy better than the original. I ain't here for dat crappy translation.

CorvoSol

I love Tactics (if you couldn't guess). Half of my enjoyment of XII is that it's the same world as tactics. I really wish we'd get a proper sequel. FFTAs are fine, but the stories suck.

And also TA2 is a legitimately horrible, terrible game. Definitely the worst Square "Tactics" game I've ever played.

Rinoa

Dammit stop making me want to replay this on my holiday.

Know this feel though, young me had some questionable taste and impatience. Around the time Tactics came out I was still all about bright colours (like in popular animes) and louder in your face stuff (SNK) for videogames. Took a few years and revisits for me to appreciate things properly.

CorvoSol

I'm about to play it once I finish VII and Fire Emblem DS. Shit. :(

You poor fool. Game's stupid crafting system is set up in such a way that you can completely miss basic abilities for the entire game if you don't get the random drop you need to unlock that shit. Laws are now tied to the mission, there are like, no means of annulling them, and where in the last game they were things you controlled "don't use fire! don't use black magic! don't attack Viera!" this time around its shit you cannot control at all "don't get a critical attack! do between 20 and 45 damage only!" and my all time favorite: "don't get stolen from!"

xist

Oh and WOTL is wayyyyy better than the original. I ain't here for dat crappy translation.

My mind and body are too weak to resist the job point jiggle glitch in the original FFT (which, like all cheats, killed the fun) so WOTL scores bonus points for that too.

Wazzy

Banned
You poor fool. Game's stupid crafting system is set up in such a way that you can completely miss basic abilities for the entire game if you don't get the random drop you need to unlock that shit. Laws are now tied to the mission, there are like, no means of annulling them, and where in the last game they were things you controlled "don't use fire! don't use black magic! don't attack Viera!" this time around its shit you cannot control at all "don't get a critical attack! do between 20 and 45 damage only!" and my all time favorite: "don't get stolen from!"
Sound's like pure torture. Hm. I still gotta beat it even if I end up despising it.

I wish they would make another game similar to Tactics and Ogre. It would be cool to see more FF characters in Tactics artstyle seeing as Cloud, Balthier and Luso have already been done.

Heropon

Sound's like pure torture. Hm. I still gotta beat it even if I end up despising it.

Don't worry, the only penalty for not obeying a law is not being able to revive party members in that battle. The game gives you a prize if you obey it, though, so it's more rewarding than the three laws at once and everyone in the jail system.

Red Mage

At least with those laws you don't end up with characters in jail.

Seriously though, I hate all of the law crap from both games. I also hated its counter part in FFXII: the license board. I should either have to find/buy the ability or learn it, not both! It was also designed poorly, where if I wanted certain spells or weapons, I'd have to occassionally take one set I didn't want for that character. : /

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Okay Ultima, what the hell would Grand Cross mean? I hate trivia enough.
Perhaps i should level up, i'm level 28 against 50s - But then, Ramza is double-handing the Excalibur i stole from Orlandeau and does 800+, plus 99 bravery First Strike.
And i've got three arithmeticians, that's the coolest job concept ever.

xist

It was also designed poorly, where if I wanted certain spells or weapons, I'd have to occassionally take one set I didn't want for that character. : /

IZJS solved this problem...of course it then generated the problem of worrying about job allocations. As far as finding/buying skills and then having to buy them on the license grid i didn't mind that so much...at least it meant developing a character was more than just grinding LP's.

CorvoSol

I wish they would make another game similar to Tactics and Ogre. It would be cool to see more FF characters in Tactics artstyle seeing as Cloud, Balthier and Luso have already been done.

If Yoshida did character designs for a Dissidia 3 tactics game I think we all know we would need to change the collective pants of the fandom.

Manu

Any tips for beating Asura in IV? My whole party is around lvl 40 but I can't do shit damage since she casts Protect on herself and Rosa's Dispel misses every single time.

CorvoSol

Any tips for beating Asura in IV? My whole party is around lvl 40 but I can't do shit damage since she casts Protect on herself and Rosa's Dispel misses every single time.

Did you try casting reflect on Asura? I seem to remember that working. Specifically if you do it to her, first. Then remember that if she has reflect and you have reflect, you can reflect spells off yourself at her. So like, Rydia can cast fire spells at her by casting them on Cecil if he has reflect on.

Pretty sure that that's how that fight works in all versions except the DS version (where you can just boost Darkness and Focus on Cecil and then OHKO her.)

Manu

Cast Reflect on her.

I do that but she starts the fight by casting Protect, so I can't Dispel her if I cast Reflect immediately after. And if I cast Reflect my attacks hit for shit, I'm talking less than 100 damage. And I tried Dispel about 5 times in a row and missed every single one.

Heropon

Use Summons and Ninjutsu as your primary source of damage then, but I don't remember Protect being too problematic in that fight.

Red Mage

I do that but she starts the fight by casting Protect, so I can't Dispel her if I cast Reflect immediately after. And if I cast Reflect my attacks hit for shit, I'm talking less than 100 damage. And I tried Dispel about 5 times in a row and missed every single one.

Cast reflect, then reflect on your allies. Her attack magic will hit her, you can bounce your spells off your own allies, and have the fighters use items to heal as needed.

CorvoSol

It's not a physical battle. Asura is a magicians fight. Remember that the point of this fight is to prove Rydia's worth, not the strength of Cecil's sword arm. All about the magic in this fight. Cecil will get his chance to pummel later.

Always make sure you have reflect up or else she'll keep healing herself and that's a major major pain. Otherwise, use Summons, Ninja Magic, perhaps even Toss but that's about it.

Tizoc

Refresh my memory: Is it a common fan theory that Sephiroth does not have his own personality at all during the events of FF7 and is just a JENOVA puppet?

Manu

I finally defeated the bitch, it cost me all my elixirs. I only had two though so no biggie.

Any tips for Leviathan?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey so I wanted to talk about FF7 with respect to stat optimization/a few other things and...

I'll wait until FF4 discussion is over.

(You guys... know that I'm joking, right? Anyway...)

So my stream game is Final Fantasy VII because an overwhelming popularity just wanted to see the game in action. I'm doing some offstream limit break acquisition right now (because doing some natural levelling onstream is not something you ever want to do), but I was thinking of doing some stat optimization later because I might want to take on the Weapons onstream at a later point.

I wasn't thinking of doing that, but how else do you guys do it? Do you prefer using the Sources, do you prefer using the independent materia (which isn't enough after a while), using Sneak Attack+Morph then escaping, or just overall using a turbo controller and fighting stuff with cover equipped. Which stats do you guys end up maxing?

Heropon

I tried to defeat Ruby Weapon a month ago and I was destroyed so I'm curious about this superbosses and stats talk.

Edit: I've managed to make FFIV DS run in my computer without too many slowdowns. Let's see if I can play it without the computer bursting in flames.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ruby Weapon is more about having the right materia equipped than about your stats (though I have to say I haven't fought him in 10 years....). I think Final Attack+something that revives you was the easiest way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
(I'm totally level 12/11 going into the Shinra Building, but I could certainly be lower. I would've earned Climhazzard by now, but... why would I do that onstream, right?)

I tried to defeat Ruby Weapon a month ago and I was destroyed so I'm curious about this superbosses and stats talk.
Well, for Ruby Weapon, I usually go in with 2 people KO'd so Ruby buries his arms right away (then cast Life2 on those people after he sticks his hands into the sand). You don't even need to be at a high level either, since you can probably beat it around Level 38 or so (iirc, Ruby's only at Lv 59).

There are several things you can do at this point. Never cast poison on the hands because that'll lead him to taking them out early and you don't want that to clean up.

Take Advantage of Paralyze

Ruby's weak vs Paralyze, lol.

Use Dazers. Use a lot of Dazers. Steal Dazers from the hedgehog enemy near the City of the Ancients/Battery Caps near Rocket Town, and clone them with W-Item or steal a whole lot of them.

Cast Slow on Ruby, too, so he won't be quick enough to get out of Paralysis status.
Cast Darkness/Blind on Ruby if you want to avoid his physical attack.

Cast Big Guard. Attack. Make sure he's paralyzed. It takes a while, but this is a pretty easy solution to the problem. He has 80000 HP, so have fun and put a podcast on in the background or something.​

Magic Hammer

Go in with two people KO'd, have him bury his hands in the sand, revive with Life 2. Give everyone Ribbons.

Use Magic Hammer on Ruby. His MP isn't that high, so with 25 or so casts of Magic Hammer (3 casts per turn if everyone has E. Skill equipped), Ruby will be at a loss as to what to do.

Ruby Flame is fire-based, so it's best to keep Fire Materia + Lv. 3/Mastered Elemental Materia in your armour to absorb it.

After that, you'll just have the tentacles' HP drain/status effects to deal with, but that doesn't really matter. Ruby Ray can't be blocked, but having better armour around like the Ziedrich or Mystile equipped will probably stave it off. Cast Dragon Force for higher DEF. Attack with whatever you want. Knights of the Round, Quadra Magic, whatever.​

Cheese it
Knights of the Round, Dazers, probably Mime. LOL.​

See, if no one wanted to see FF7 in action, I would've chosen an FF8 Low-Level run instead since I'd equip Enc-None/Enc-Half just to keep things going in terms of narrative.

xist

See, if no one wanted to see FF7 in action, I would've chosen an FF8 Low-Level run instead since I'd equip Enc-None/Enc-Half just to keep things going in terms of narrative.

If you want a FFVIII save where some idiot (me on the PSP) has done a shed load of Seifer grinding to draw all the high level magics in Dollet without gaining anyone else any levels, then i have one.

CorvoSol

Refresh my memory: Is it a common fan theory that Sephiroth does not have his own personality at all during the events of FF7 and is just a JENOVA puppet?

Was. I'm pretty sure Square tanked this around the time they tanked R=U. As charismatic and nice as Sephiroth is in Crisis Core, they still show you that he flips out more or less on his own.

I finally defeated the bitch, it cost me all my elixirs. I only had two though so no biggie.

Any tips for Leviathan?

Let's be honest: you don't really need that many Elixirs by the end of the game anyway.

Manu

Let's be honest: you don't really need that many Elixirs by the end of the game anyway.

I wouldn't know, it's my first time playing IV. But if it's anything like VI, the final boss was ridiculously easy compared to anything in the two hours prior to it.

Fou-Lu

It's always kind of been my goal in FF games to break them before the end, basically making at least the main character ridiculously powerful. It seems 8 is the easiest game to break yet.

Sitting at 222 strength on Squall just before going to Timber.

CorvoSol

I wouldn't know, it's my first time playing IV. But if it's anything like VI, the final boss was ridiculously easy compared to anything in the two hours prior to it.

No this is FF4. Easy is something it hasn't done since like, the SNES. I can't recall if PSP 4's final boss is as hard as DS 4's, but DS 4's was a pain in the ass.

Suddenly I can't wait for you to fight
CPU.
That'll be a fun fight.

Wazzy

Banned
Thanks Schala for all the insightful info, I'll try to defeat it tonight. I'll report with the number of casualties.

Have fun, I just beat Ruby on my first try. I killed my two party members and left Cloud alive but revived them once his tentacles came up(basically what Schala suggested) then I spammed mime and KOTR with MP absorb equipped for everytime it's used. I also had Final Attack materia paired with Life 2.

Heropon

Defeated!

Those 80000 HP seemed more like 800000. :p

I didn't have Mime equipped and I had to use Master Summon (I defeated Emerald before) + Megaelixir spam and Bracers. It was sooooo boring but at least I can finallly say that I've defeated every boss in FFVII. Thanks for the tips.

Superbosses left in mainline games:
-Omega Weapon (FFVIII)
-Omega mk12
-Vercingetorix

Natetan

I've never beat emerald or ruby weapons. Actually I beat emerald when the game came out but I'm struggling with it now for some reason....

CorvoSol

I beat both Emerald and Ruby and that was the moment I quit fighting Superbosses in my FF series run-through. I'll do some in XII, though, because XII has basically the best optional bosses in the series, but that's it for a good long while.

XII is the only game where I've beaten every uber boss...Omega was the toughest fight to be honest. Never had a boss hit that hard so fast before. I almost beat him legit once but then he turned red...

I beat Ruby by blasting him with tons and tons of Dazers since he's vulnerable to stop and whaling on him then...it still took a while though

Natetan

I beat the dark Aeons in ffx.... Using yojimbo overdrive so I don't know if that counts.

I don't really have true patience for these fights honestly.

Red Mage

It's a theory, but the Ultimania Guide says it's the exact opposite, I believe.

Wazzy

Banned
I've beaten:
Ruby + Emerald- VII
Omega + Ultima weapon- VIII
Minerva- Crisis Core
Dark Aeons -FF X
FF IV(I can't seem to recall the super bosses because I'm pretty sure they're different in the PSP and DS versions)

I'm still working on Tactics secret dungeon and I'm trying to have patience and complete all cieth stones.

Rinoa

I was thinking of doing some stat optimization later because I might want to take on the Weapons onstream at a later point.

I also didn't bother with stats, I threw the sources onto Tifa because she's my girl. For Ruby I remember you had to farm/do stuff to get the gold chocobo, then get the summon materia needed.

As for Dazers, there's a dupe trick if you have the W Item materia. Something like select to use it and cancel upon the second select to dupe it nonstop. You can even do this with only one dazer, do something like select an item to use on a character, select dazer, cancel, select dazer, cancel, and num goes up.

Top Bottom