• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I played the Interlude this morning and nope :(

Ah, well, I don't know. Honestly, I don't know if they even mention DURING TAY that his name is Theodor. I can only really remember it being said during his flashbacks toward the end of FF4DS.

There is no FFIV Ultimania! It's one of the few installments which doesn't have one.

I think I like that about the game, though, because there's a lot of room for WMG to happen. Like during the playthrough thread I had this HUGE thing all laid out about how basically Tellah and the Elder must have been disciples of KluYa and how KluYa must have lead an unnaturally long life (or rather Lunarians DO live longer than humans.)

Most of this is because in TAY, when they try to expand the universe out a bit, things get crazy when you think about them.

Terra is one of the best characters in Final Fantasy

You bet your sweet bippy.

jaxword

Click for super big:

That's the current view of Shibuya station. Some of you may remember that from TWEWY. Here's the same spot from the opposite angle, looking towards the Scramble:

Rojo

Ha ha ha. I had disregarded it at first but it seems a new set of trademarks have surfaced.

TGS and events later this year will be quite interesting.

Thanks for the reply back i had no idea it would be so fast. I hope with the announcement of third party production team at sony and this Type-0 will see some light in the future or hopefully another dissidia. I have faith.

CorvoSol

Oh I'm glad you posted Jax! I meant to ask: if you spy any merch of the Warrior of Light in his red armor, I'd be interested in that. Specifically if its like a figure or statue.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Thanks for the reply back i had no idea it would be so fast. I hope with the announcement of third party production team at sony and this Type-0 will see some light in the future or hopefully another dissidia. I have faith.

According to TGS lineup on their site that's a no go. They are partners for something regarding Cooking Mama 5 though.

jaxword

Refresh my memory: Is it a common fan theory that Sephiroth does not have his own personality at all during the events of FF7 and is just a JENOVA puppet?

It is a fan theory that's been around for almost 2 decades, but it's been confirmed that it was the other way around and that Sephiroth's powerful will eventually bled into and took over JENOVA instead.

There is no FFIV Ultimania! It's one of the few installments which doesn't have one.

While it's not an Ultimania, there is an FF4 reference book that gives lots of background details. So it's a pre-Ultimania Ultimania. I have some translations somewhere here if anyone's interested.

Corvo--will have pics of things soon.

Wazzy

Banned
Cool, some updates from Jax. Really excited to see some pics, especially if there's any of VIII. :D

Also forgot to update but I beat VII. I'm now working on Fire Emblem DS and then Tactics A2.

Lord help me for A2.

Cool, some updates from Jax. Really excited to see some pics, especially if there's any of VIII. :D

Also forgot to update but I beat VII. I'm now working on Fire Emblem DS and then Tactics A2.

Lord help me for A2.

A2 is a lot of fun. Story probably isn't up to snuff, but it really gave me that "one more mission" hook. Beautiful 2D visuals too. I don't even really like SRPGs that much but A2 really was an enjoyable game. Thankfully the law system isn't as intrusive as it was in FF TA.

While it's not an Ultimania, there is an FF4 reference book that gives lots of background details. So it's a pre-Ultimania Ultimania. I have some translations somewhere here if anyone's interested.

Wasn't it completely ignored (contradicted?) by FFIV DS? I remember reading interviews about how they would add new story content in FFIV DS but then when the game was released none of the new content was from the reference book at all.

Wazzy

Banned
A2 is a lot of fun. Story probably isn't up to snuff, but it really gave me that "one more mission" hook. Beautiful 2D visuals too. I don't even really like SRPGs that much but A2 really was an enjoyable game. Thankfully the law system isn't as intrusive as it was in FF TA.
I don't know... I started a couple days ago just to try it and I got a law telling me I can't do over 50 damage. What kind of bullshit law is that? As if I can control my damage dealt. Plus the recruitment system is pretty lame compared to Tactics.

Ah well, maybe I'll end up enjoying it when I actually focus on it.

CorvoSol

I don't know... I started a couple days ago just to try it and I got a law telling me I can't do over 50 damage. What kind of bullshit law is that? As if I can control my damage dealt. Plus the recruitment system is pretty lame compared to Tactics.

Ah well, maybe I'll end up enjoying it when I actually focus on it.

It's the biggest kind of bullshit, that's what. Tactics A2 is the worst Tactics game Square made prior to S.

Rinoa

Don't worry about it. Terra is one of the most boring protags.

Take away her green hair and what makes her special is that she's one of the few playable female characters in the game and can use nice swords.

I liked Terra as a kid, up until I finally realized her unique move (trance/morph) is one of the worst because it relies on not using it to be useful.

CorvoSol

Take away her green hair and what makes her special is that she's one of the few playable female characters in the game and can use nice swords.

I liked Terra as a kid, up until I finally realized her unique move (trance/morph) is one of the worst because it relies on not using it to be useful.

She's awesome from a story standpoint as a badass mother who happens to be part summoned monster and an ace mecha pilot. Contrary to some people's blatant lies, girl gets her shit together and stares down the men who tormented her without complaint.

Not seeing how Trance is useless, especially when there are actual useless characters like Umaro, but its a moot point since you can give Terra a set up to make her either a magical or physical murdering machine. She's versatile and she learns Ultima naturally, which is more than anybody else in the game can say.

Terra is the best.

Wazzy

Banned
A lot of people seem to really dislike Terra and I'm not sure why. *shrug* I mean, I don't think she's amazing or anything like some people but I thought she was a decent enough character.

I guess it all comes down to opinion. Like how I think Tifa is one of the worst FF characters.

Rinoa

Ya but I don't gotta compare Terra's equivalent, Celes, to Umaro to make her look good.

Storywise Terra could have used a ton more development, especially with the other characters. The mother thing in second half of game is a really quick wrapup to her arc, it comes and goes as quick the re-recruiting of Gau. Like... "hay come back later". It never gave me any feels because I never thought those kids would ever be in any danger and we never get to know much about them beyond the teen preggos.

Wazzy, is it because Tifa never "says anything" due to plot device? I think the whole FF7 cast is guilty of that.

CorvoSol

Ya but I don't gotta compare Terra's equivalent, Celes, to Umaro to make her look good.

Storywise Terra could have used a ton more development, especially with the other characters. The mother thing in second half of game is a really quick wrapup to her arc, it comes and goes as quick the re-recruiting of Gau. Like... "hay come back later". It never gave me any feels because I never thought those kids would ever be in any danger and we never get to know much about them beyond the teen preggos.

Wazzy, is it because Tifa never "says anything" due to plot device? I think the whole FF7 cast is guilty of that.

How does Celes look good when Terra doesn't? Never pilots a giant robot, can't fly, doesn't even have the stones to tell Locke flat out that he's an idiot for believing Kefka over her. Runic is good for what again? Oh yeah nothing but getting in the way. Celes is like the Luigi to Terra's Mario. Baffles me how you can say anything bad about Terra and not expect it to fall on Celes, too. In terms of gameplay Celes is just Terra with a worse unique ability, and in terms of story Celes is Terra but with less importance to the plot and a romance arc.

A lot of people seem to really dislike Terra and I'm not sure why. *shrug* I mean, I don't think she's amazing or anything like some people but I thought she was a decent enough character.

I guess it all comes down to opinion. Like how I think Tifa is one of the worst FF characters.

Tifa actively helping Sephiroth through most of his evil plan definitely damaged my opinion of her. That said, both Tifa and Terra are loads better than Rinoa aka the worst girl in FF8. Squall was a damn fool for choosing her over Quistis. A damn. fool.

All women mentioned in this post are infinitely better than Krile, though. FUCK Krile.

Wazzy

Banned
Tifa actively helping Sephiroth through most of his evil plan definitely damaged my opinion of her. That said, both Tifa and Terra are loads better than Rinoa aka the worst girl in FF8. Squall was a damn fool for choosing her over Quistis. A damn. fool.

All women mentioned in this post are infinitely better than Krile, though. FUCK Krile.
Thems fighting words.

Nah though that did make me think poorly of her. It was more that I always felt her character depended on Cloud way too much, not physically but emotionally. She get's way too protective and defensive and never clashes with him even when he isn't in the right. The only time I found her to be slightly interesting was when she had her moments of friendship with Aeris and in the Nibelheim arc with Zack.

It's a contrast to a character I love, Rinoa, where she constantly butts heads with Squall and while she isn't always right, she still knew when to stand up for herself. Plus I prefer a girl willing to go for her guy rather than be a chicken. :p

Okay, so "The Lightning Saga" is going to get yet another Novella along the lines of The Fragments After (~250 pages) telling the story of what happened between XIII-2 and LR.

What in Odin's balls is up with this shit of them consistently not telling major parts of the story in game?

It wouldn't be as bad if they would fucking localize it... be we know they won't. Why? Just... Why?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Okay, so "The Lightning Saga" is going to get yet another Novella along the lines of The Fragments After (~250 pages) telling the story of what happened between XIII-2 and LR.

What in Odin's balls is up with this shit of them consistently not telling major parts of the story in game?

It wouldn't be as bad if they would fucking localize it... be we know they won't. Why? Just... Why?

More garbage to make the shitty story seem like it has depth to it when there is none to be found. Probably to explain any drastic changes to characters in the most idiotic way possible.

CorvoSol

Thems fighting words.

Nah though that did make me think poorly of her. It was more that I always felt her character depended on Cloud way too much, not physically but emotionally. She get's way too protective and defensive and never clashes with him even when he isn't in the right. The only time I found her to be slightly interesting was when she had her moments of friendship with Aeris and in the Nibelheim arc with Zack.

It's a contrast to a character I love, Rinoa, where she constantly butts heads with Squall and while she isn't always right, she still knew when to stand up for herself. Plus I prefer a girl willing to go for her guy rather than be a chicken. :p

Quistis is the best girl in 8, bar Edea.

Selphie is better than Terra.

There, I said it.

No way jose. She's better than Rinoa, though.

Wazzy

Banned
Quistis is the best girl in 8, bar Edea.

No way jose. She's better than Rinoa, though.
Nope. Quistis abuses her position of authority to hook up with a student. Totally inappropriate and plays favourites at the same time. She loses her job because she is so infatuated with her STUDENT. Oh and let's not forget her jeopardizing an entire mission to apologize to Rinoa for her being in the right. Oh and she wears pants over boots.

Rinoa at least develops and has an actual interesting personality. Oh and she isn't clingy like Quistis.

You've brought out the demon in me Cor. But I do agree Edea is awesome.

CorvoSol

I'd rather eat my own anus than admit Terra is good at ANYTHING. She's a shit protag from a bad game.

Needless to say I think you're wrong, but we don't need to go down this road.

Nope. Quistis abuses her position of authority to hook up with a student. Totally inappropriate and plays favourites at the same time. She loses her job because she is so infatuated with her STUDENT. Oh and let's not forget her jeopardizing an entire mission to apologize to Rinoa for her being in the right. Oh and she wears pants over boots.

Rinoa at least develops and has an actual interesting personality. Oh and she isn't clingy like Quistis.

You've brought out the demon in me Cor. But I do agree Edea is awesome.

Yeah but Quistis is hot. I agree that mission hijinkscwas bull, though. Still not as bad as Irvine, though. Squall is a lot more sympathetic when I consider the bullshit he has to deal with.

Nononononono, Terra is better than Selphie, though I like them both

Terra doesn't even have a better ability than Selphie. Terra also spends the entire game moping or in a comatose state. Meanwhile, Selphie is actually trying to cheer people up and sing about trains and shit.

Terra is a piece of shit. And you can quote me on that.

Wazzy

Banned
Looks like nobody likes Rinoa, lol

That means I can keep her? :3
Hey now I've been defending Rinoa for the past couple pages. She's the best FF female next to Yuna. Y'all wish your faves could live, get with their men, save the hero rather than always be saved and look flaw free.

YRP bitches.

CorvoSol

Terra doesn't even have a better ability than Selphie. Terra also spends the entire game moping or in a comatose state. Meanwhile, Selphie is actually trying to cheer people up and sing about trains and shit.

Terra is a piece of shit. And you can quote me on that.

This is false and you didn't even finish FFVI so you're not qualified to make it as a statement.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, to be fair, to an extent, Beef can make a qualified opinion about her character considering that her arc can be finished pretty early. He did get to the World of Ruin at least.

CorvoSol

Well, to be fair, to an extent, Beef can make a qualified opinion about her character considering that her arc can be finished pretty early. He did get to the World of Ruin at least.

Her arc finishes when the game does. I cannot agree with any assessment of the game's plot that does not fit with that view. The final dungeon is most certainly the culmination of Terra's arc over the course of the game.

Moreover, you cannot say that someone is anything for an entire game if you didn't finish the game when that someone is a major character therein. I can't say "Krile is an unsympathetic piece of shit for the whole of FFV" if I only made it to world 3. The game is not over, and Krile's character arc is not concluded because she features heavily in the game's ending.

To make any such argument otherwise is deceitful, to say the least.

Terra has perfectly good reasons to mope but she never quits either.

Girl stares down the Emperor and Kefka. I'd say she's earned her street cred. Especially since there's nothing mopey about what she's saying prior to the final battle.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game is not over, and Krile's character arc is not concluded because she features heavily in the game's ending.
Boy, I bet you loooooved FF5's ending.
bSVr5cd.gif

CorvoSol

Boy, I bet you loooooved FF5's ending.
bSVr5cd.gif

The actual reason I don't like Krile is because of FF5's ending, yeah. I beat the game back on the PSX and Ex-Death was THE hardest thing for me ever (until I grinded Movers for JP), and then she took up the finale's bulk and I was like "WHAAAAT". The second time I beat the game, I offed her to get a different ending.

But I don't know that I really HATE Krile. I just like to hate on her.

I can't imagine my opinion changing about Terra by actually beating FF6. Hell, I got that opinion of her sucking by the time she flew around the world like a moron.

CorvoSol

I can't imagine my opinion changing about Terra by actually beating FF6. Hell, I got that opinion of her sucking by the time she flew around the world like a moron.

I didn't say your opinion would change. Just that you can't say that every pea on your plate sucks until you've eaten every pea on your plate.

rataven

I never really had strong feelings for Terra either way in VI, but holy hell balls did Dissidia's story and her voice actor do a number on her. There's just no coming back from that. Say it with me now.....GET AWAY

FF leads are pretty hit or miss in general though. Cecil, Cloud, and Yuna have my love, but the rest are upstaged by better cast members (or their dads).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LOL, it's just like how people ask me how I play through shitty games all the way to the end and ask me why I just don't put it down and just write impressions based on that. And then I say, "Well, I need to finish it otherwise I won't feel like my opinions are valid enough." Even though some people think that line of thinking is absurd.

So... that's kinda why I gave Beef the benefit of the doubt. I assumed he did the Phunbaba quest, but to be honest, I'm not sure how far he got in the World of Ruin, lol.

As for Dissidia Terra, Dissidia nailed her character perfectly, though... That's pretty much how I envisioned her based on her FF6 dialogue.

Manu

I never really had strong feelings for Terra either way in VI, but holy hell balls did Dissidia's story and her voice actor do a number on her. There's just no coming back from that. Say it with me now.....GET AWAY

You know her Dissidia VA is Kinzie from Saints Row and Pandora from God of War?

I don't know what happened there either.

Top Bottom