• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

So... that's kinda why I gave Beef the benefit of the doubt. I assumed he did the Phunbaba quest, but to be honest, I'm not sure how far he got in the World of Ruin, lol.

I got Setzer's other airship that he conveniently forgot about, found out I only have the characters I never used forced on me for the World of Ruin, then deleted my save.

CorvoSol

I can and will.

OLkaaXB.jpg

"This game is horrible!"
xm3dolp.jpg

"I know, but you mustn't say that, or the Corvo will lose his job!"

LOL, it's just like how people ask me how I play through shitty games all the way to the end and ask me why I just don't put it down and just write impressions based on that. And then I say, "Well, I need to finish it otherwise I won't feel like my opinions are valid enough." Even though some people think that line of thinking is absurd.

So... that's kinda why I gave Beef the benefit of the doubt. I assumed he did the Phunbaba quest, but to be honest, I'm not sure how far he got in the World of Ruin, lol.

As for Dissidia Terra, Dissidia nailed her character perfectly, though... That's pretty much how I envisioned her based on her FF6 dialogue.

I only am this way because animeGAF insists upon it. Any time I say I think Rah Xephon is shit, people are quick to remind me I never finished the series. It's the only anime I haven't, though. All the other ones I hate I make sure I finish so that no one can question the validity of my negative opinions on that basis.

And Dissidia Terra did not do a great job keeping Terra true to FF6. I don't remember ever seeing her cry when she cast a spell, let alone every spell. We're talking about the game that made people think Cecil was gay for Golbez "OnEEEEEEE-SAN!" When the OG Cecil did no such thing, and almost didn't even acknowledge Golbez as his brother openly at game's ending.

Dissidia improved a few characters, but there were definitely places it wasn't true to game at all, and VI and IV were among those cases.

rataven

You know her Dissidia VA is Kinzie from Saints Row and Pandora from God of War?

I don't know what happened there either.

I don't know Kinzie, but from what I vaguely remember, Pandora was super annoying too, right?

But either way, I never 'heard' Terra as a screechy ninny in VI like I did in Dissidia. The girl can whine like a champ in both games, no doubt, but her Dissidia VA took it way up a notch.

Dissidia Terra was pretty accurate. Even better in the sequel since she didn't talk as much. But then they removed the crown, and things went to shit.

Cecil...I don't remember him.

CorvoSol

Come on guys I spent maybe five minutes hastily tacking those pictures together, and another ten more or less setting the joke up. Somebody laugh at my comedic talents!

rataven

Kefka and Golbez were the best characters in Dissidia.

Golbez was godly, and Kefka did awesome shit like manipulate Sephiroth

They kind of lost me with Kefka when they had him scratching his butt and farting. I mean, he's a clown, obvs, but he's not necessarily juvenile. His VA was pretty great though.

And Seph is just laughable in Dissidia. A shame really, because as a character, he weathered the whole VII compilation quite nicely. Don't know what happened here.

Wazzy

Banned
I could actually also tell it was Tai's Agumon

Come on guys I spent maybe five minutes hastily tacking those pictures together, and another ten more or less setting the joke up. Somebody laugh at my comedic talents!
I laughed! You Rinoahatingpoopooface. :(

Wazzy

Banned
Cor, you're right. *VIII love hug*

Right, the only ones more boring are:
Cecil
Tidus
Squall
Bartz
Vaan
Lightning
Zidane
Firion
Cloud in AC and after.
Hah, no.

Squall actually has a character arc and grows throughout the game. You might not like his personality but boring?

Also how is Tidus boring?

HeelPower

Right, the only ones more boring are:
Cecil
Tidus
Squall
Bartz
Vaan
Lightning
Zidane
Firion
Cloud in AC and after.

Tidus is very entertaining even if you hate him...For two thirds of the game he comes as a really genuine person. Like him or not is up to you.But boring or static he is not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you guys were to rank your favourite females/males in FF on Gaming side, the thread would get locked because we have this Final Fantasy Community Thread here for that purpose.

Additionally, many list threads seem to degenerate into posting pictures of characters or posting lists without any sort of explanation as to why they were selected (or in the case of posting pictures, who these people even are), so that would also contribute to threads of that nature getting locked.

Ranking threads in general got frowned upon because people were making too many of them left and right in 2012. It ended with the Final Fantasy Series ranking thread, and that was that.

If you have to rank something that relates to Final Fantasy in any sense, do it in here. Ranking anything FF-related in general was pretty much the reason why this thread was created after following in the footsteps of the Zelda Community thread (where Zelda SS threads tended to move into timeline talk).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And if the ranking threads didn't get locked, they'd be merged in here anyway. There was a "best character in Final Fantasy" thread a loooong time ago and it got merged in here pages back.

I remember coming in here and seeing people who don't usually post in this thread and wondering what the heck happened until I saw something that looked like a thread OP, haha.

If you guys were to rank your favourite females/males in FF on Gaming side, the thread would get locked because we have this Final Fantasy Community Thread here for that purpose.

Additionally, many list threads seem to degenerate into posting pictures of characters or posting lists without any sort of explanation as to why they were selected (or in the case of posting pictures, who these people even are), so that would also contribute to threads of that nature getting locked.

Ranking threads in general got frowned upon because people were making too many of them left and right in 2012. It ended with the Final Fantasy Series ranking thread, and that was that.

If you have to rank something that relates to Final Fantasy in any sense, do it in here. Ranking anything FF-related in general was pretty much the reason why this thread was created after following in the footsteps of the Zelda Community thread (where Zelda SS threads tended to move into timeline talk).

Thanks for the answer.

rataven

Various FF Gamefaqs boards have character rank-a-thons practically hourly (plus their main contest, under way now. Go Cloud!). If you really want to order all the poor FF saps, maybe that's a better place for it?

Various FF Gamefaqs boards have character rank-a-thons practically hourly (plus their main contest, under way now. Go Cloud!). If you really want to order all the poor FF saps, maybe that's a better place for it?

Yeah, but as a former member of that very forum, I can tell you that each board will come up with different results. The XIII - LR forums will have Lightning win (Yes, she even beat out Cloud and Yuna); VII forum will have Cloud win; XV board utterly loathes Lightning so you can imagine how that went for her and they already ranked Noctis pretty high; etc. So instead of having an idea of how popular a character is, you'll just get an idea of how active a forum is and how much they hate certain characters (XV board really hates Lightning).

Wazzy

Banned
I don't see any problem with doing it in this thread.

And that's a completely different contest since it involves multiple videogame characters rather than just FF. it always ends the same too so unless there's a big mixup(I know Link is out), it's gets pretty boring.

Well the way I wanted to do it is give it some simple rules. The main released FFs only. (1-14) Each main entry stands good on it's own. We don't need it's squeals or spin offs.

If we wanted to pick more than one for each type (male/female) then we can pick 3 for each and have it each worth this many points. i.e. 1=4 2=3 3=2

What I don't know is how to tally the points or decide when to end it.

rataven

Yeah, but as a former member of that very forum, I can tell you that each board will come up with different results. The XIII - LR forums will have Lightning win (Yes, she even beat out Cloud and Yuna); VII forum will have Cloud win; XV board utterly loathes Lightning so you can imagine how that went for her and they already ranked Noctis pretty high; etc. So instead of having an idea of how popular a character is, you'll just get an idea of how active a forum is and how much they hate certain characters (XV board really hates Lightning).

Oh god, FF fans are so finicky. I honestly had no idea they would vary so wildly, though with Final Fantasy, it's to be expected I suppose. As are the bannings.

Rankings just don't seem to generate interesting discussion, in official threads or elsewhere. They're usually just lists, with random pics thrown in. What if we tried the 30-day Final Fantasy meme challenge instead? Every day post a new topic? My friends and I have done it before over the years and it's a lot of fun. Just throwing it out there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And I found the sticky thread for that particular occasion.

I guess that hot on the heels of 2011's GotY (voting thread), SotY (voting thread), and Essential RPG threads, people just wanted to make official ranking threads in general. The biggest problem, really, (and you can see it in that FF thread I linked) was that people were just posting lists and lists without giving any sort of explanation as to why they chose what they chose. The thread is no longer focused on discussion at that point, which is really the issue.

Wazzy

Banned
Just layout some ground rules in this thread. When you rank, you have to give your reasons for why you picked each character and what you prefer about them.

It's a lot harder in a thread dedicated to the topic because too many people will do drive by posts that produce no discussion.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I suppose the major problem with holding a vote in this thread is that there aren't many people who come over to community and look over here so you're not going to get a fair distribution when it comes to points.

Essentially, it truly is the same few people who do post in this thread, and you've already got a taste of who they're going to pick based on what they've said in the past.

I suppose the major problem with holding a vote in this thread is that there aren't many people who come over to community and look over here so you're not going to get a fair distribution when it comes to points.

Essentially, it truly is the same few people who do post in this thread, and you've already got a taste of who they're going to pick based on what they've said in the past.

very true. the lack of exposure makes doing it here pointless.

Wazzy

Banned
True however we don't have to do an actual ranking but list maybe our top 5 and why. Then we could have some form of discussion.

CorvoSol

You've never seen Digimon Savers, have you?

Sadly, no, I think I lost track of Digimon part way through Adventure 2 or whenever it was that the 2nd generation of kids was going on. I saw one of the movies, though, which had Omnimon, and rocked.

Hah, no.

Squall actually has a character arc and grows throughout the game. You might not like his personality but boring?

I think you missed his point. That or I did. What I took from that was that none of the listed people were boring at all, but awesome, just as Terra is awesome.

And I found the sticky thread for that particular occasion.

I guess that hot on the heels of 2011's GotY (voting thread), SotY (voting thread), and Essential RPG threads, people just wanted to make official ranking threads in general. The biggest problem, really, (and you can see it in that FF thread I linked) was that people were just posting lists and lists without giving any sort of explanation as to why they chose what they chose. The thread is no longer focused on discussion at that point, which is really the issue.

"If you want to talk about who you favorite furry character is in a videogame series, you can talk about that in a Community thread, that's what those are for."

Nice one, Duck.

Wazzy

Banned
Sadly, no, I think I lost track of Digimon part way through Adventure 2 or whenever it was that the 2nd generation of kids was going on. I saw one of the movies, though, which had Omnimon, and rocked.

I think you missed his point. That or I did. What I took from that was that none of the listed people were boring at all, but awesome, just as Terra is awesome.
But you missed season 3 which is the best.

I wish I could look at it that way. But he's calling them boring.

CorvoSol

But you missed season 3 which is the best.

I wish I could look at it that way. But he's calling them boring.

Is season 3 the one where he makes a Digimon out of a picture he drew? I saw the first episode of that, but I was upset that I'd missed the finale of the previous season and felt super lost because even though I could grasp that different Final Fantasy games are unrelated at the time, it hadn't occurred to me to sit down and see that that was what was happening there, so I kinda lost touch with Digimon.

I liked Gabumon more than Agumon, but Wargreymon was cooler than Metalgarurumon. Also I thought Angemon was super awesome.

And I don't think he's calling them boring, because he listed every protagonist not named Luneth and WoL in the main series. I think his point is just that Terra is the most interesting and he's making it a roundabout way. You don't think every main character in a series is boring and keep playing it 13 times.

Wazzy

Banned
Is season 3 the one where he makes a Digimon out of a picture he drew? I saw the first episode of that, but I was upset that I'd missed the finale of the previous season and felt super lost because even though I could grasp that different Final Fantasy games are unrelated at the time, it hadn't occurred to me to sit down and see that that was what was happening there, so I kinda lost touch with Digimon.

I liked Gabumon more than Agumon, but Wargreymon was cooler than Metalgarurumon. Also I thought Angemon was super awesome.

And I don't think he's calling them boring, because he listed every protagonist not named Luneth and WoL in the main series. I think his point is just that Terra is the most interesting and he's making it a roundabout way. You don't think every main character in a series is boring and keep playing it 13 times.
It is. It's the darkest in the series but it's so damn good. Watch it if you can.

Thing is, he listed AC cloud which leads me to believe he's attacking them rather than saying they're just not as good as Terra. But only he can tell us what he truly meant lol.

Red Mage

Hah, no.

Because he rarely communicates with others, he just *thinks* at them. Dissidia improved him A LOT because he's forced to interact with others. I don't mind is personality, just the execution of it.

Tidus is very entertaining even if you hate him...For two thirds of the game he comes as a really genuine person. Like him or not is up to you.But boring or static he is not.

Not really. I found him to be an absolutely terrible character. People complain of Squall being "emo" but he is at least aware of how others are feeling. Tidus is so caught up in himself to catch on to the situation most of the time.

It's just my personal opinion, but I think the story should have been about Braska, Jecht, and Auron. I found their story far more interesting.

This. I don't dislike most of the heroes, I just didn't find them as interesting. Out of the main games, I only dislike Tidus (see above) and Vaan (Basch, Ashe, or Balthier make better main characters).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bold claim.

Bold claims for bold characters of which there is only GILGAMESH. GILGAMESH. The incredibly important thing. Defending Champion and INEVITABLE victor in all things. A being that is loved by every living creature and is necessary for our survival! Who only appears in every good Final Fantasy game. DLC NOT WITHSTANDING.

Your puny polls mean nothing in the rift! It has already been decided. GILGAMESH shall crush the lame fanbase in a single blow. With Excalipoor. And win. Flawlessly. And even if he somehow loses he still wins because he obviously is letting the fanbase have a minor victory just to appease them. Clearly. CLEARLY. And while they celebrate their fluke he'll take everything that isn't tied down. And your weapons aren't tied down! And if you are looking for treasure he took it already! MWAHAHAHA!

And besides we all know how awesome he was in XII.

GILGAMESH appears as a Mark in Final Fantasy XII. Having traveled into Ivalice to seek another legendary sword, he steals the sword of some wimp who is too frightened to challenge him to a rematch. Thus this unnamed poser puts in a request that Montblanc find more worthy opponents to face GILGAMESH. Unfortunately, as this was GILGAMESH that was being petitioned, no such opponent existed, so Montblanc settled for Vaan and his friends.

Ambushing the party in the Henne Mines, GILGAMESH unveiled a variety of legendary swords collected from the so-called "heroes" of previous Final Fantasy games, including the Revolver and the Buster Sword. Though he and Enkidu fought bravely, the underhanded tactics of the street-rat and his outlaw comrades caught GILGAMESH off-guard, and he executed a tactical retreat deeper into the mines to plot a new strategy. Pursuing him, the legendary swordsman fought them once more, and realizing he had genuinely underestimated them, feigned defeat to allow them to collect their rewards from Montblanc as a sign of respect.

So as you can see. GILGAMESH is the best FF character ever. You've been drinking too much oxyale if you thought otherwise.

Top Bottom