• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Can someone explain me why there's a black chocobo in my group all of a sudden? And it has a high level even, it's only surpassed by the mage.

You now have a profitable career opening a Warjilis Fried Chocobo shop.

Also, psa, Xenoblade's final boss is the most frustrating final boss in a JRPG since Neo-Ex-Death for me. Who is yours?

Heropon

It surprised me how a level 31 monster could hatch from an egg. All the others were around level 10 and I thought this one couldn't have hatched from one. By the way, all the game messages when you're trying to dismiss a monster are heartbreaking: "It looks upset at being told to go home, mayhap because it has no home to go to.". I released them anyways but it sure felt bad.

About annoying final bosses, I only hate Cloud of Darkness and I suppose you can imagine the reasons.

Banzai

thought i was gonna finish all side quests in FF12 (izjs) but nope, got bored of the game around ridorana this time. still dont get how walking up to enemies and letting the gambits do their thing could count as good gameplay.
doesnt matter though i suppose. just started the new playthrough in hope it would kill the time until FFX HD but thats 2014 now anyway...

Variant Play Arts Kai Hero of Light

1185149_203166729859683_1402461487_n-noscale.jpg

Manu

^ Looks amazing.

Man, the ARR OT is already overtaken by the same five people posting over and over about high level/endgame content.

I'm only at level 20 and it's totally useless to even go there anymore.

The feather of the "goofy clown" is better than both that waste of space yeti and void hoping Bartz obsessed loser. But fuck it, knowing SE they'll do a line of Halo 5 PAKs before Kefka or Gilgamesh.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The feather of the "goofy clown" is better than both that waste of space yeti and void hoping Bartz obsessed loser. But fuck it, knowing SE they'll do a line of Halo 5 PAKs before Kefka or Gilgamesh.

Or a Lightning Saga series of Lightning in 80 different outfits.

Ultratech

Also, psa, Xenoblade's final boss is the most frustrating final boss in a JRPG since Neo-Ex-Death for me. Who is yours?

How so? Unless you're underleveled, it's not really hard.
IIRC, doesn't the boss have like a hidden level of 81?

As far as frustrating final bosses go for me, I'd go with either Tales of Destiny Remake's last boss (STUN, DEATH, MORE DEATH, BLACK HOLES, PENETRATE),
or FF2's (Famicom) Emperor who's pretty damn tough if you choose to fight him legit.
lol no
TOAD EMPEROR FTW
The former was amazingly satisfying and crazy once I beat it.

I could see where FF3's (remake) CoD could be pretty tough, since it gets four actions per turn, and if RNG decides to screw you over, you're in for a hurting.

CorvoSol

I was level 78 when I tried it, Ultratech. I grinded to level 82, had to play as Dunban for the 2nd phase and only then did I beat it.

Wazzy

Banned
Welp, both Squall and Vivi just got eliminated from the gamefaqs character battle. I think all Final Fantasy characters are out now and mostly because of Pokemon.

Now I can stop caring.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Welp, both Squall and Vivi just got eliminated from the gamefaqs character battle. I think all Final Fantasy characters are out now and mostly because of Pokemon.

Now I can stop caring.

If it makes you feel any better I voted for Pokemon Master Red.

^_^b

Heropon

The Belias fight in FFT was much worse than I thought it would be. The fight started as a Ramza versus eight enemies battle thanks to that skill that causes confusion in a wide area, then the mage caused the Undead status to an ally and Belias killed three people with one attack. That's when Height multiple of 3 Arise came handy and revived two of them while the undead one threatened to become a crystal or a chest at any moment. The battle became a fight against the clock and my Ramza buffed with Tailwinds from the last battle sliced the unholy body of that bloodthirsty beast and just when my faithful knight Donny was going to be gone for good the monster screamed. The battle had ended.

The reward for killing that horrible thing were lots of juicy JP that allowed Ramza to master the Knight job and now he can be a Dark Knight!

Edit: Oh, the next battle is the pure definition of bullshit: Enemy attacks, enemy attacks, enemy attacks. GAME OVER.
Edit 2: Finished in one turn with Ninja Ramza, Equip Swords and a Green Beret.

Wazzy

Banned
To get some discussion going and because the greatest ending shot's thread made me nostalgic, let's post our top three Final Fantasy endings. Explain why they're your favourite.

1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantay Tactics

VIII is number one for me because it was such a perfect way to end the game. I felt completely satisfied with everyones conclusion. Seeing Squall smiling and finally opening up fully with Rinoa was such a great way to finish his development. The music was also some of the best I've ever heard in the series. Everytime I watch the ending I get chills.

X had such an emotional ending that really stuck with me after I finished it. The music was beautiful yet depressing, the goodbye with Yuna was tragic and Tidus waking up at the end after Yuna's big speech giving hope that he was still alive all just worked so well.

Tactics had a bittersweet ending similar to X. It doesn't exactly end happy for many characters such as Delita, Olivia and Orran, but knowing Ramza and co. survived even if they don't get the credit deserved was a great way to end the game.

Banzai

top 3 endings:

1. X
Great music, great dialog, great scene. Too bad it loses impact because of X-2...

2. VII
I really like the open ending. Did the planet accept humans or didnt it? Again, loses impact because of Advent Children and stuff.

3.IX
I like the ending for each individual character a lot. I suppose Zidane popping up again was kinda cheesy and predictable, but the good kind of cheesy.

Red Mage

To get some discussion going and because the greatest ending shot's thread made me nostalgic, let's post our top three Final Fantasy endings. Explain why they're your favourite.

FFVI: Completes the story perfectly. Each character gets a moment to shine, and it concludes their character arcs, all the while playing an awesome tune that incorporates ALL of their themes.

FFT: Bittersweet at its very best (btw, Wazzy, there's no definitive answer on whether anyone besides Ramza and Alma survived. = P)

FFVII: I like the "Lady or the Tiger" approach to the ending, although I wasn't a fan of it when it first came out. It more or less allows you to decide whether the Lifestream would wipe out humanity to protect itself, although the post credits reveal skews it towards the answer being no (if it had, then Nanaki would've probably been dead since he was in an airship full of them at the time). Like I said, I didn't care for it much when I was younger, but as I get older, I have grown more fond of it.

FF IX: all party members watching the play with Zidane surprising everyone

FF X: Epic music finally defeating Sin

FF VII Crisis Core: Everything connecting to FF7 and Zack dying like a true Hero

Wazzy

Banned
top 3 endings:

1. X
Great music, great dialog, great scene. Too bad it loses impact because of X-2...

2. VII
I really like the open ending. Did the planet accept humans or didnt it? Again, loses impact because of Advent Children and stuff.
1. I wouldn't say it loses it's impact since X's ending already implies he's alive. The game also allows you to choose the ending where he doesn't come back so if you prefer it that way then just pick that as the canon one. :p

2. I hate AC with a passion but I don't think them being alive ruined the impact at all since it was also fairly obvious they survived what with Red XIII and the children laughing.

>:I

Not too thrilled either.

kazusa.gif
I saw the mobile announcement but what is the game? it's not actually Type-0 is it? Ugh ew nvm, I just saw.
FFT: Bittersweet at its very best (btw, Wazzy, there's no definitive answer on whether anyone besides Ramza and Alma survived. = P)
Well I just assumed they all did if Ramza and Alma survived since it would be odd for only those two to live. xD

CorvoSol

>:I

Not too thrilled either.

kazusa.gif

The worst part is that some of the ideas stated sound interesting, and would've made for a great Type-1. But it is weighted down by shitty iap mobage practices.

To stay on topic:

Number 1 is Final Fantasy VI's ending. I mean it lasts like 20 minutes, plays every characters theme song, concludes their characters in beautiful ways (I cry at
Shadow telling Interceptor to leave him like, every single time)
, and is just a real show-stopping grand finale for the best Final Fantasy game.

Number 2 is FF IX's ending. For all the things about IX that pissed me off this playthrough, I still loved that ending. Much like VI, it gives each character their own time, and I am a definite sucker for
Garnet running through the crowd, throwing off her jewels so she can reach Zidane faster.
And Blackjack never hurt anyone.

Number 3 is a tie between FF VII and FF VIII's endings. VII kinda leaves you hanging but I mean, it's VII and it's still awesome. VIII's is long and great and I ain't gonna lie, I felt for Rinoa, looking for Squall in that ending.

Honorable mention to Type-0's ending:
Both the default and true. The default had me bawlin', and ready to do a second playthrough then and there to get the true. The true ending made me happy to see the cast get to live lives that weren't horrible.

Worst ending in the series is XIII-2 because it's just an fmv of Toriyama taking a massive shit on everything that has happened in the past two games while screaming about how you'll still play the 3rd game.

The worst part is that some of the ideas stated sound interesting, and would've made for a great Type-1. But it is weighted down by shitty iap mobage practices.

To stay on topic:

Number 1 is Final Fantasy VI's ending. I mean it lasts like 20 minutes, plays every characters theme song, concludes their characters in beautiful ways (I cry at
Shadow telling Interceptor to leave him like, every single time)
, and is just a real show-stopping grand finale for the best Final Fantasy game.

Number 2 is FF IX's ending. For all the things about IX that pissed me off this playthrough, I still loved that ending. Much like VI, it gives each character their own time, and I am a definite sucker for
Garnet running through the crowd, throwing off her jewels so she can reach Zidane faster.
And Blackjack never hurt anyone.

Number 3 is a tie between FF VII and FF VIII's endings. VII kinda leaves you hanging but I mean, it's VII and it's still awesome. VIII's is long and great and I ain't gonna lie, I felt for Rinoa, looking for Squall in that ending.

Honorable mention to Type-0's ending:
Both the default and true. The default had me bawlin', and ready to do a second playthrough then and there to get the true. The true ending made me happy to see the cast get to live lives that weren't horrible.

Worst ending in the series is XIII-2 because it's just an fmv of Toriyama taking a massive shit on everything that has happened in the past two games while screaming about how you'll still play the 3rd game.

I personally find XIII-2's ending hilarious and terrible at the same time. Hilarious due to how dissonant the whole thing was (pop music playing in the background as Serah dies the death everyone knew was coming with Noel cradling her body the entire time) and terrible since it was the culmination of watching the main characters throw any semblance of having higher brain functions (not that they were terribly bright to begin with) out the window and, as you said, shitting on everything I'd done up to that point.

On topic:

The only two FF games I've completed so far are XIII and XIII-2 (though I am currently halfway through VII and am a few hours into XII), and neither of those two endings were exactly what I'd call "good". I already explained why I disliked XIII-2. As to XIII: in the final 15 minutes, it violates all internal logic and basically throws everything we've been told up to that point out the window; the characters decide "Screw logic, we believe in miracles" and proceed to kill 1/3 of Cocoon's population because of it; some character's wildly oscillate between in character and out of character; all plot threads are solved because "miracles"; and everything they'd been building towards was either fucked or greatly diminished because of this.

So... yeah. Here's to hoping VII and XII's endings are better!

Manu

That I finished:

1. VIII's ending: I loved the whole thing with the party through the camera. Seeing Edea going back to normal, Zell choking on food. And the last shot of Squall and Rinoa kissing with the camera zooming out over Balamb Garden... so good.

2. VII's ending: if only because of how iconic it is. The open ending kinda loses its impact when you watch Advent Children and find out everyone is alive and well.

3. XIII's ending: It was one Deus Ex Machina after another, but damn didn't that thing look pretty.

My favorite ending's would have to be VI and IX's.

And I guess XIII-2 back when
I thought they all died.
A shame it wasn't meant to be.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have a request.

Can someone make ExDeath in this gif look like he's sucking up an infinite amount of Type 0, KH3, FF XV, and various abandoned Square IP's into a black hole in a infinite loop?

tumblr_m387g9SNAb1qavcq9o3_250.gif

That would be really awesome.

CorvoSol

Secretly, I'm actually VERY salty about this Agito thing, but also honestly since it is free I will play it. I'll hate it and myself, and swear never to play anything by this company again, but I'll be back.

We'll all always be back.

Wazzy

Banned
Secretly, I'm actually VERY salty about this Agito thing, but also honestly since it is free I will play it. I'll hate it and myself, and swear never to play anything by this company again, but I'll be back.

We'll all always be back.
I bought all characters from All The Bravest just for the VIII characters.

I'm still full of regret.

Just got a corrupted memory card... lost 12 hours of progress in XII, 10 hours of progress in X, and an almost full S rank run through very hard mode of Devil May Cry 3.

tumblr_mcoe46Jz8e1rk3gouo1_500.gif

Am rather salty at the moment (
not really, but c'mon man...not cool
)

CorvoSol

I dropped my DS and froze my PW2 game and had to restart the second investigation period of the 3rd case again. This may not sound like much except the 3rd case is like, the worst case in the series. Doesn't help that the 2nd game is the weakest of the 3.

Heropon

Final Fantasy Tactics finished. I hope I was better at giving impressions so I could write something lengthy and detailed but I can at least say that it was fun while it lasted even if there were moments where the game was testing my patience.

Beat Final Fantasy Type Zero again tonight and really must say I was impressed with the final act. Visually stunning and epic.
Also mighty fucked up and creepy. All that blood...yuck! Ending seemed tragic. I loved when they had me limping around near-death. Final boss looked pretty cool, except I was mildly disappointed that you couldn't die on it. The apocalyptic setting for the end areas was very well done and disturbing. Cid's voice calling out to you throughout it all sounded super creepy but relaxing for some reason.

Overall a damn neat game. I can read limited Japanese, but after a while things were easy to grasp where it concerns gameplay. The story was a little fuzzy, but some of it is so stunning on a purely visual level that you feel you are enjoying what you are seeing. Some of the stuff is pretty blunt and easy to appreciate emotionally (Like that guy and his chocobo in the opening cinema) Kinda sad it's over, but I am extremely satisfied with the game.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy Type-0 spoilers

I think, looking back, even more than the RTS segments, the Final Boss being a No-Lose Scenario is the game's biggest disappointment. After everything Cid had done, after all the horrors I'd seen that I could attribute to this one man and his actions, I was so, so, so ready for a good, old-fashioned throw-down with the guy. Especially since the game had some truly epic boss-fights, and since the set-up for that final battle was perfect. So just kinda auto-winning it was a bit of a disappointment, really.

The game's still amazing, though. I can't wait for the translation patch to come out so I can sit down and enjoy it all over again.

Top Bottom