• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mine are:

1. Final Fantasy X - Tearjerky with awesome music. One of the top endings for me ever.
2. Final Fantasy VIII - Kinda tearjerky too but the main theme of FF accompaniment made it so good
3. Final Fantasy IX - Not my favorite ending but I did like the music.

Wazzy

Banned
Thinking about picking up FFCC Echoes of Time for DS. What's FFGaf's impression of that title?
I didn't even know this game existed but looking up some gameplay, it looks very similar to Ring Of Fates. If you enjoyed that style of gameplay then I'm sure you'll like CC.

Can't speak on story or characters unfortunately since as mentioned, never played this game before.

Ultratech

Thinking about picking up FFCC Echoes of Time for DS. What's FFGaf's impression of that title?
It's alright I guess.

Frankly, any comparison I make about it is based on Ring of Fates.

-Story's kinda average.
-Battle system is improved from RoF.
-A bit harder than the 1st game, so expect some challenge here and there.
-Lots of customization! Best thing I liked about those games was visible armor/weapons.

CorvoSol

I downloaded and deleted All the Bravest in the same hour. I am now prepared to say through my own experience that that so-called "game" is proof positive that you cannot trust Square Enix to make a mobile game. Hopes for this "Agito" noise were already grim enough.

Also, I can't help but laugh that the F2P version of Theatrhythm just never even wound up on Android.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I downloaded and deleted All the Bravest in the same hour. I am now prepared to say through my own experience that that so-called "game" is proof positive that you cannot trust Square Enix to make a mobile game. Hopes for this "Agito" noise were already grim enough.

Also, I can't help but laugh that the F2P version of Theatrhythm just never even wound up on Android.

Well. There you have it.

CorvoSol

Monolithsoft bro.

Have they put anything besides Xenoblade out? I loved Xenoblade so much I'm gonna try and do the rest of the Xeno games now (going through Xenogears atm) but if they make other stuff, that'd rock.

I'm looking into the Tales, SMT and Persona series, too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Have they put anything besides Xenoblade out? I loved Xenoblade so much I'm gonna try and do the rest of the Xeno games now (going through Xenogears atm) but if they make other stuff, that'd rock.

I'm looking into the Tales, SMT and Persona series, too.

Atlus is cool. Monolithsoft games don't come out as fast but they generally kick ass.

CorvoSol

Sure, they existed long before Nintendo bought them. Seems they even worked on Dirge of Cerberus. ;)

Yeah, I went and wiki'd them. Looks like, aside from Xenosaga, I have to check out Baiten Kaitos some day. All I know about Xenosaga is that I rented the first one once and there was a LOT of talking.

Noi

The concept for ATB isn't that bad if you look at it as an FF-themed F2P time waster. It's only a shame that SE botched the execution terribly by charging for the game from the start (pay us so you can pay us even more!), charging ~$45 if you want to get /all/ the "Premium" content, no other unlockables other than said Premium content and not even letting you pick the premium characters you want to buy.

I beat the base game last night and had some fun with it. I'll never use the actual IAPs, but whatevs. I'll just continue to grind away for drops in my spare time and not give a shit about the locked stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
All I know about Xenosaga is that I rented the first one once and there was a LOT of talking.

Yes, there is. I enjoyed it, but you have to be in it for the story. And it's not like there's abundance of space themed JRPGs.
By the way, the European version of Xenosaga II came with a DVD with all the cutscenes from the first game (since that was never released in Europe and neither was the third), and the run time of that DVD is about 4.5 hours, I guess that's pretty telling in itself.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The concept for ATB isn't that bad if you look at it as an FF-themed F2P time waster. It's only a shame that SE botched the execution terribly by charging for the game from the start (pay us so you can pay us even more!), charging ~$45 if you want to get /all/ the "Premium" content, no other unlockables other than said Premium content and not even letting you pick the premium characters you want to buy.

I beat the base game last night and had some fun with it. I'll never use the actual IAPs, but whatevs. I'll just continue to grind away for drops in my spare time and not give a shit about the locked stuff.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it.

To me, giving something a 0 or a 1 means it's unplayable garbage. Though I don't assign numerical scores, I wouldn't give this game so much higher given its ideas in terms of its blueprints, but it's not all that terrible. The execution is pretty damn stupid, especially since SE was charging for it at first, and apparently you had less hourglasses to start with. I'm kind of shrugging my shoulders at it, and if I did have to pay for it, I would be more critical towards it, most certainly. But since it's F2P, and I'm generally wasting my time with it and the depth in it is mostly in terms of timing with animation frames and DPS characters, I don't hate as much as I thought I was going to dislike it. With that said, it's not my sort of game, but I don't hate it. I'm more indifferent to it outside of the localization.

Base game is kinda ok just for the loot you can get and the localization for everything + the spritework. Though, and Noi brought this up to me last night, some of the battle areas are just plain weird, since you should be fighting certain bosses somewhere else and it doesn't make sense to be fighting them where you do fight them in ATB.

CorvoSol

Yes, there is. I enjoyed it, but you have to be in it for the story. And it's not like there's abundance of space themed JRPGs.
By the way, the European version of Xenosaga II came with a DVD with all the cutscenes from the first game (since that was never released in Europe and neither was the third), and the run time of that DVD is about 4.5 hours, I guess that's pretty telling in itself.

I wish the DS version of the game would get translated. Then I'd just play that and pick up the 3rd.

Noi

Blue Mages in XIV are as likely as any other traditional job. I wouldn't expect them for a while though since there's currently already have enough jobs that focus on dealing damage.

I could see it working as a Job for Conjurer to give them a DPS variant, since they're all about nature and shit. Expanding "Nature" to include "Enemies" isn't much of a stretch.

CorvoSol

XVMthxD.jpg

Basically correct.

Don't worry folks, if Light dies in LR she will return in both Nomura's never ending projects: KH3 and XV.

In the mean time we'll enjoy some LR news from TGS, including some details of their OVER THERE campaign where we find out how our Goddess shall bless both Spira and Eorzea with her presence.

Wazzy

Banned
Don't worry folks, if Light dies in LR she will return in both Nomura's never ending projects: KH3 and XV.

In the mean time we'll enjoy some LR news from TGS, including some details of their OVER THERE campaign where we find out how our Goddess shall bless both Spira and Eorzea with her presence.
fHoBqBK.gif

Oh, you.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

c2m.gif

MagiusNecros' reaction gif is very appropriate considering some of what I said will happen. I can't wait for the reactions, like that guy that cancelled his ffxiv preorder after SE announced Light will be in it. Glorious.

CorvoSol

He ranked very high in popularity polls so they decided to bring him back in Sonic Heroes in some convoluted eye-rolling-worthy fashion.

I won't lie. I loved Shadow the Hedgehog when I was a kid. Thought he was so cool in SA2 that I bought Shadow the Hedgehog.

I was a bad person.

So that's why Lightning keeps returning, because those nasty polls where she ranked first. Ugh.

Polls I still contend were rigged.

I've said my piece on why I never felt like Lightning resonated with me in the past, and I'll leave it at that.

I think the worst for me is that I did at one point like her. Then her character was neutered or what have you in XIII-2 and well, the rest is the rest. Honestly, Nomura saved her best qualities and brought them to the best Final Fantasy XIII game anyway.

And now we can enjoy that game on iOS and maybe but probably not Android for the free price of money whenever and wherever we can swindle it out of you!

I think the worst for me is that I did at one point like her. Then her character was neutered or what have you in XIII-2 and well, the rest is the rest. Honestly, Nomura saved her best qualities and brought them to the best Final Fantasy XIII game anyway.

Obviously I still like her, but yes her lack of appearance in XIII-2 made the qualities she had from the first game lost. This seems like one of the things they are rectifying for LR. According to SE, at first, she will seem more aloof plus be unfamiliar with the world, because of it being new to her. But as time passes, she will become more human, despite her powers, as she cracks from losses she's had and her mission.

CorvoSol

Obviously I still like her, but yes her lack of appearance in XIII-2 made the qualities she had from the first game lost. This seems like one of the things they are rectifying for LR. According to SE, at first, she will seem more aloof plus be unfamiliar with the world, because of it being new to her. But as time passes, she will become more human, despite her powers, as she cracks from losses she's had and her mission.

That doesn't really sound like the Lightning from XIII, plus the one in XIII didn't seem like the type to wear . . . whatever that horrid mess is she's wearing in LR. Lightning in XIII was full on rage mode. I liked THAT Lightning. The one who would sock people for being douchebags. She was a pissed off, overworked cop in my book.

Now she's Flit Asuno and this is all Gundam AGE.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wouldn't mind Lightning if they stayed true to her original character and built up on it correctly instead of plothaxing the character in idiotic ways. Even warping the character so the character isn't that character anymore. Just a lifeless puppet of the gods at this point.

But Lightning is fated to be ugh at the hands of Toriyama and Daisuke so eh. What can you do right?

That doesn't really sound like the Lightning from XIII, plus the one in XIII didn't seem like the type to wear . . . whatever that horrid mess is she's wearing in LR. Lightning in XIII was full on rage mode. I liked THAT Lightning. The one who would sock people for being douchebags. She was a pissed off, overworked cop in my book.

I don't picture her choosing to wear her Equilibrium garb either, but within the context of the story she didn't nor her XIII-2 armor.
In FFXIII she was full on rage pissed off cop, but she expressed much more than that, despite her not liking to. She even teared up taking about Serah while encouraging Snow on Pulse.
I don't think they mean she'll have some break down in LR, but counting what she put up with and went through in these games, it's not that far fetched to see cracks show later on in LR. But we'll see.

CorvoSol

I just mean, it isn't surprising or a stretch for me to claim that Lightning is nothing like how she was in XIII because the entire universe of XIII is so hilariously removed from its lore and origins at this point that there's no real cause to believe characters would stay the same, too.

XIII is so far off the rails you could not suplex it back into place.

Sonic Heroes Spoilers:
He gets cloned at the beginning of Sonic Heroes. Also has amnesia.

Pretty sure it went:

Shadow: How I survive?

Eggman: YOU IZ ROBOT!

Shadow: I R ROBOT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*Later*

Eggman: JK. Mah robotz saved u from falling and I created a robotz army from u!

Shadow: Dick.

Top Bottom