• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

Back from Japan. Putting together my yearly haul of collectibles from Tokyo and some gaffers' requests for things to buy/trade to them. Pics this weekend. Sorry, Corvo, Warrior of Light NES sprite doesn't appear very popular at the moment, though he may be hidden in an Akibahara bargain bin somewhere.

Preview of some neat stuff:

rUoWhYV.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People will buy it anyway.
I don't think TAY is anywhere near as beloved as FF4, though. There are lots of things that I dislike about it, and even Corvo agrees with me on some stuff.

From a game blueprint perspective, it does a lot of things wrong to the point of simply feeling like a weird romhack at times.

Back from Japan. Putting together my yearly haul of collectibles from Tokyo and some gaffers' requests for things to buy/trade to them. Pics this weekend. Sorry, Corvo, Warrior of Light NES sprite doesn't appear very popular at the moment, though he may be hidden in an Akibahara bargain bin somewhere.

omg, some of that DQ stuff looks sooooooooooooooooooo cute.

Ooooh.

Wazzy

Banned
I AM BATHING IN THIS SALT. YOUR SALTY TEARS ARE MY DELICIOUS BIDET. COME TO CORVO I WELCOME THEE.
Wait, no, I meant:

No, dammit

Good enough.
Why'd you post a picture of Rosa?

rUoWhYV.jpg
Nice! That chocobo cup is pretty cool. Ooooh and the golem and slime keychain.

CorvoSol

I don't think TAY is anywhere near as beloved as FF4, though. There are lots of things that I dislike about it, and even Corvo agrees with me on some stuff.

From a game blueprint perspective, it does a lot of things wrong to the point of simply feeling like a weird romhack at times.

Don't forget that in some versions of the game, the Challenge Dungeons are a broken mess that you cannot retrieve the best prizes from without doing RNG like a sperglord. And that it is very possible for enemies to get caught in a loop which indefinitely prolongs battle (such as cobras using constrict and nothing but constrict.) And that the game requires you to walk through the Cave of Waterfalls or whatever in no less than 3 chapters (meaning that in 3 chapters, some taking place no more than a few days apart, in you will wind up fighting the Octomammoth boss.)

And that dividing the game into chapters causes a lot of unnecessary points of no return and restricts free exploration for like, most of the game.

Or that Ceodore, the so-called main character, is far and away the weakest main character in the series (by which I mean Ceodore has less personality than like, Firion. He's blander than unflavored pudding.)

There's a lot about TAY that isn't that great, really. That said, a playable cast of 22 characters was nice (even if a bunch of the new characters have nothing going for them in any way) and the PSP version's 3-team showdown with the Giant of Bab-il was awesome.

rUoWhYV.jpg

'S okay, I wasn't really expecting them to have something like that, anyway.

I played a good amount of the Wii version, but wasn't really impressed with it. I do have (unplayed) FF4 Complete on PSP/Vita so I think I'll give it another go.

CorvoSol

I played a good amount of the Wii version, but wasn't really impressed with it. I do have (unplayed) FF4 Complete on PSP/Vita so I think I'll give it another go.

The PSP version isn't that bad. It even removes most of the RNG so that you just can't bother to go crazy trying to get everything.

Red Mage

The PSP version isn't that bad. It even removes most of the RNG so that you just can't bother to go crazy trying to get everything.

Except the tails... because they still hate you just a little bit.

Actually, they hate you a lot, since it's now REALLY random on those stupid tail drops.

CorvoSol

Except the tails... because they still hate you just a little bit.

Actually, they hate you a lot, since it's now REALLY random on those stupid tail drops.

And the summons, but since there are now no RNGs to collect these things, just no reason to do it.

CorvoSol

I'd wiped those memories from my mind. Why did you remind me of them? -_-;

Because at least in the DS version they were funny.

I went through a lot for the tail drop in vanilla FF4, so at least I'm prepared to drive myself insane over it.

There is one unique tail per chapter excluding Edward's chapter, in which there are a series of sub tails which you must farm and trade for the unique tail. The only tail REALLY worth it is the Black Tail, which grants you the Twin Stars relic which dramatically reduces MP cost. It costs you maximum gil x2 to get in Palom's chapter (wherein most enemies do not drop even 1k gil outside of the challenge dungeon).

Tails are insane.

Heropon

Corvo, how many mountain paths does FFD have? At least me give some illusion of variety! Remind me to put thousands of caves and mountains if I ever try doing a game in RPG Maker, players will
hate
love me.

Having two parties sounds interesting except for the part where I have to start training other people again from scratch. I was already feeling more powerful and BAM! downgrade.

CorvoSol

Corvo, how many mountain paths does FFD have? At least me give some illusion of variety! Remind me to put thousands of caves and mountains if I ever try doing a game in RPG Maker, players will
hate
love me.

Having two parties sounds interesting except for the part where I have to start training other people again from scratch. I was already feeling more powerful and BAM! downgrade.

There are a LOT of mountain paths. The most recent I did was the one on the way to the Dark Knight's Castle. Honestly, now that you mention it, the flow of the average chapter has been "opening" "town" "cave or mountain path" "new town" "cave/mountain path" "chapter dungeon". And that's without counting the summon dungeons (which have all been in caves.)

Two parties would be nice, since you have different job classes and plenty of characters to make up for the limited amount of jobs any one character can master, HOWEVER, inventory is NOT shared between parties. As in your Gil and your items and your weapons and armor and your MAGIC are not shared between parties.

Which means:

Party 1 grinds to finally be able to buy cure and bronze sword at the low low price of infinite gil. Blows its gil, earns a paltry amount back in dungeons.

Chapter ends, Party 2 begins. Party 2 does not have the cure spell or the bronze sword, even though the party 1 unequipped the bronze sword in favor of an iron one.

Hell, you could sell EVERYTHING at the end of a chapter and it would benefit you NOTHING because 1)It won't be enough to buy even 1 item the next time you see this party and 2)your money won't be in the pockets of your other team.

People whine 'cuz Type-0 doesn't share EXP, but Dimensions doesn't even share GIL.

Heropon

You're SO right , equipment is really expensive in this game and when you buy it then you find the same item in the next chest. There are cases when the items sold in a store are completely outclassed by the ones you found in the last mountain path/cave.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Corvo, you're making me want to revive the darn FF anniversary thread to play TAY and not grind for stupid tails/summons/whatever because I care a lot about my sanity and I wouldn't want to to through that nonsense yet again.

I played through TAY twice. Didn't like it either time I played through it. Fairly certain that if I played TAY again, I still wouldn't like it.

And it sounds like a dodged a huge bullet when I decided not to get Dimensions. Good lord, that whole thing sounds like bad RPG pacing design to me, haha.

Heropon

Oh Schala, I'm sure you've played much worse games so you can give it a try when Square cuts the price or something. The game has its charm and the castle and airship dungeons in the first chapter were interesting so I still have hope for the rest of the game.

CorvoSol

You're SO right , equipment is really expensive in this game and when you buy it then you find the same item in the next chest. There are cases when the items sold in a store are completely outclassed by the ones you found in the last mountain path/cave.

It's the sole reason I haven't beaten this game yet. Every chapter does this, and the price to gil gain ratio is frustrating as all Hell. It drives me mad, especially because the writing for the game really isn't half bad.

Corvo, you're making me want to revive the darn FF anniversary thread to play TAY and not grind for stupid tails/summons/whatever because I care a lot about my sanity and I wouldn't want to to through that nonsense yet again.

I played through TAY twice. Didn't like it either time I played through it. Fairly certain that if I played TAY again, I still wouldn't like it.

And it sounds like a dodged a huge bullet when I decided not to get Dimensions. Good lord, that whole thing sounds like bad RPG pacing design to me, haha.

I'll probably play TAY again some day, but not any time soon. FF9 basically ended my desire to continue the series. I tried to keep up 10, but I had Xenoblade and that took precedent. At this point I've more or less ended playing the series for awhile. Just got really burned out on it. If/when Type-0 comes out in English I'll pick it up, but for the meantime, I'm just kinda taking a break from the series.

And yes, Dimensions has TERRIBLE pacing issues. It's all that I really don't like, is that the game is set up to slow down your progress as much as conceivably possible.

EXP can be shared if 3 party members are out in the field. Free knowledge from Magius.

Well, y'ought to tell this to the people who heard that one review where the guy was a massive bitch about the game and cried like it was hard or something.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LR trophy list is out. Spoilers afoot.

http://www.exophase.com/game/lightning-returns-ffxiii-xbox/achievements/

Final Boss referred as God of Light

lol
The list doesn't seem that hard at face value. The
Get the ultimate ___
trophies might be akin to Treasure Hunter in FF13, but maybe it might be easy. The
Last Ones and Dragonslayer
trophies may or may not be hard because I just don't really have a nice gauge of difficulty for this game. They could say "it's harder" all the want, but until you get a feel for the game, only then you'll know about it.

Overall, the trophies just seem kinda eh. More like stuff you'd normally do while you play the game + story trophies.

I'll probably play TAY again some day, but not any time soon. FF9 basically ended my desire to continue the series. I tried to keep up 10, but I had Xenoblade and that took precedent. At this point I've more or less ended playing the series for awhile. Just got really burned out on it. If/when Type-0 comes out in English I'll pick it up, but for the meantime, I'm just kinda taking a break from the series.

And yes, Dimensions has TERRIBLE pacing issues. It's all that I really don't like, is that the game is set up to slow down your progress as much as conceivably possible.
Yeah, even though I played waaaay less games than you did, I felt burned out on the series. And lol, I started streaming FF7 again, soooo I guess I'm not completely burned out. I think the difference is that I have instant feedback and I'm not necessarily playing in a certain way + redoing some parts to capture glitches or different ways to beat bosses + writing stuff up this time. I mean, I was tossing about in my head whether I should import LR or not despite not having the JP version of FF13-2, but I think I'll wait. I still do kind of feel burned out outside of streaming something for a few friends, so I'll hold off.

Going by how Dimensions was split apart, I kinda guessed that it was going to be that way. Disappointing. If it's ever on sale, I might grab it and try it out of curiosity. It's just a shame that the Android version doesn't have a try before you buy option.

CorvoSol

Yeah, even though I played waaaay less games than you did, I felt burned out on the series. And lol, I started streaming FF7 again, soooo I guess I'm not completely burned out. I think the difference is that I have instant feedback and I'm not necessarily playing in a certain way + redoing some parts to capture glitches or different ways to beat bosses + writing stuff up this time. I mean, I was tossing about in my head whether I should import LR or not despite not having the JP version of FF13-2, but I think I'll wait. I still do kind of feel burned out outside of streaming something for a few friends, so I'll hold off.

Going by how Dimensions was split apart, I kinda guessed that it was going to be that way. Disappointing. If it's ever on sale, I might grab it and try it out of curiosity. It's just a shame that the Android version doesn't have a try before you buy option.

I'm sure I'll be fine in a year or so, when the itch to play FF4 or FF6 comes on me again and I start the cycle over, but I mean, damn. It isn't even that the games are bad, I'm just burned out. Like, there's a clear difference between how I feel about them and how I feel about LR, for instance. I'll be back to FF at some point, but I haven't followed LR in months. I really do not care about that game. Hell, I only kind of care about XV because of Tabata. Like legit the only FFs that grab my attention right now are Type-0 and Theatrhythm.

I got this way with Pokemon after I finished B/W, too. I'm gonna go through some of those games again for X/Y (cuz I cheated too much last time so I'm guessing like, half my team ain't coming with.) but you just can't play too much of a series without burning out. Like I've played SRW J, W, Z2 and Z2.2 recently and now OE is kinda just slowin' me down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm sure I'll be fine in a year or so, when the itch to play FF4 or FF6 comes on me again and I start the cycle over, but I mean, damn. It isn't even that the games are bad, I'm just burned out. Like, there's a clear difference between how I feel about them and how I feel about LR, for instance. I'll be back to FF at some point, but I haven't followed LR in months. I really do not care about that game. Hell, I only kind of care about XV because of Tabata. Like legit the only FFs that grab my attention right now are Type-0 and Theatrhythm.

I got this way with Pokemon after I finished B/W, too. I'm gonna go through some of those games again for X/Y (cuz I cheated too much last time so I'm guessing like, half my team ain't coming with.) but you just can't play too much of a series without burning out. Like I've played SRW J, W, Z2 and Z2.2 recently and now OE is kinda just slowin' me down.
I kinda feel like I'm in a "I don't care but I do kinda care but not as much as I should... but really I dunno" position with the series right now. I feel like I can't get excited about stuff anymore. It's not the burnout with respect to the newer stuff, though. It's more like I just can't get myself enthusiastic about anything really because there isn't a lot about forthcoming Final Fantasy games (mainline or spinoff) that make me look forward to them in a genuine sense. I'll try them out, sure, but I'm mostly indifferent to them or I have misgivings about them. Even Theatrhythm--even though it has FFMQ stuff and I love Ryuji Sasai's work and think he's underrated overall, I just don't feel super-enthusiastic for the product simply because I wonder if much of the game that I want (ie: the music I want) is locked behind DLC that I don't feel like purchasing.

I guess the long and short of it is that I just feel indifferent to the series as a whole. It's going to be a while to get to the point where I'm genuinely excited to purchase a new single-player console Final Fantasy game at this point, I think.

A friend and I were talking about the brand as a whole today. He's more of a casual player of the series compared to me, and stopped at FFXII (didn't enjoy FFX and didn't touch FFX-2). He's just so disinterested in the games simply because of the games' structure adhering so close to the narrative, and the lack of new worlds for the generation. I guess to him, the PS1 era was a bit of a boon, not just because it was the era where he started playing RPGs, but rather, it was the era in which three different worlds were introduced to players and they could jump in at any time to experience and learn about that world because they were built so well. They may not have had the best worldbuilding, but the worldbuilding had depth. The games started to get cinematic after FF4, that's not even a question, but even then, they retained a sort of ... "gameyness" about them where they didn't take themselves seriously, and were silly all the same while still maintaining a degree of worldbuilding and adherence to a plot. Now I've said that voice acting is a bit of a drawback in the sense that some of these lines that are voiced will probably be seen as not as bad (read: bad but not as bad) when you read them silently because you're probably reading them in the voice that you think is intended for that character or your normal mental-read voice.

Anyway, the long and short of that story is that he doesn't care. He hasn't cared for a while, though he has expressed interest in Type-0. Even listening to him talk about Crisis Core, despite him liking it, it doesn't seem to evoke the same interest or feelings he has in his tone whenever he talks about the mainline titles between 4-9 + 12.

And going back and thinking about re-experiencing FF7 with a bunch of other people in tow, that has me thinking. They see stuff that they'd never seen before (ie: dialogue they didn't bother to go back and read after events), and I get to re-experience world-building from not having seen it in a while. Even if I'm still at the beginning of the game, I still have a keen sense of how the world is built and structured around me despite simply talking to NPCs multiple times and watching background art. You get a sense of how people speak, how they think, and how they influence the world around them / how the world influences them. It's something I've come to miss, I think. That sort of organic culture is something I miss a lot.

But to be honest, I've been feeling that way about a lot of games lately. There aren't a lot of games that I'm genuinely excited about at the moment, but I think that typically comes with a console transition? It's funny because launch night of the Wii, I went out and lined up for one because I love Zelda and needed Twilight Princess. But right now, I'm in this weird mood where there isn't a lot I'm super-duper looking forward to at this time.

Sorry for being off-topic, but that's where the conversation was going anyway.

As for me, I guess I've been revisiting platformers? It's for the best, I think, just because they're shorter than your average RPG. They're not going to take super-long to play.

I think I burned myself out on Tales games, too, but who knows. I do need to finish Xillia 2. I really do.

Noi

If only you had the time/money to play XIV. Yoshida and Co.'s work has single handedly convinced me that there are more than just Toriyama-level hacks working at SE. The world building in it is pretty much like the older games, with the boon of having a localization team that clearly have fun with the job.

CorvoSol

I can definitely see that Schala, I feel that the series has tied itself too close to narration and strayed too far from go and do of late. Although replaying FFXII has been nice for me, since there's been a lot I can just go and do without having to care, and Type-0 had that feeling for me, as well. But I feel like this is actually one of the things that really makes FFVII great. I really like VI and VIII, but from a strictly technical speaking, ignoring the graphical failings of the game, VII really does stand out quite a bit to me.

I mean, the cast is colorful, and capable of being serious when the plot demands, but people often over look that VII is very much a goofy game. It is very much the legitimate child of IV, V and VI in that sense. It combines the heavier tones of VI with IV and especially V's light-hearted, goofy moments. Cloud falls several tens of stories, and is just fine when he lands in Aerith's church. They go on dates, they cross dress, and Aerith and Tifa have a constant, somewhat snarky, very silly love triangle going on. The game has its plot, but it has fun, too.

And the gameplay reflected that. There was the serious segment of the game wherein you built up, explored dungeons, and did battle with your foes. Then there were the breaks from that, to ride a motorcycle, to screw up plays, to snowboard, to race chocobos. The world of FFVII was vast, and full of things to do. Most important, though, was that those things were varied and FUN. Minigames in this company haven't been fun to me since FFIX introduced Tetra Master as the replacement to Triple Triad.

Replaying the NES/SNES/PS1 era really reminded me of what I loved about Final Fantasy, and some of the recent titles I am always happy to say show that there are still people there who are trying their damned hardest to make it work, but I dunno.

It's funny you bring up platformers, because I've been playing a lot of those this summer, too. Really a good way to just unwind from the massive involvement that a JRPG requires of you.

Mostly, though, I feel I've just been tied to this one company for too long. I still hold hope for Square, but it really is time I started playing other JRPGs.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Within the week or so I'm going to go hunt for Xenoblade. I keep reading it's a God RPG and puts SE's current output to shame. Any thoughts my fellow Square RPG enthusiast's. I chickenwussed out before due to hearing the battle system was either tedious or confusing. I need a second opinion.

CorvoSol

Within the week or so I'm going to go hunt for Xenoblade. I keep reading it's a God RPG and puts SE's current output to shame. Any thoughts my fellow Square RPG enthusiast's. I chickenwussed out before due to hearing the battle system was either tedious or confusing. I need a second opinion.

I really enjoyed Xenoblade quite a bit. The combat isn't the best, but it is a great game with a lot of heart. It made me feel young again. I made a thread about it: You can see my thoughts on the game in the OP.

Such a good game. It was good enough to make me interested in the rest of the Xeno games.

Noi

I like Xenoblade's world and the level of exploration it allows even at lower levels, but the combat is pretty bleh and the ridiculous amount of sidequests tend to be mostly filler and "kill x, gather y" fetch quests. It certainly puts the XIII series to shame, but I wouldn't say /all/ of SE's output.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like the Xenosaga games (*hides quickly*). They have everything that I dislike in some RPGs rolled into one. You're effectively running to the next 15-minute cutscene in dungeons that completely and utterly overstay their welcome with some of the slower combat animations imaginable. The URTV plot in XS2 was good, but I feel like the games overall just spent a lot of time wasting my time.

I was late to the party with Xenogears, too, and I didn't like it either for the most part. Second disc criticisms aside... when you're platforming, you should not get into a random encounter as you're jumping. Like, ever. You mess up your jump, and then you're back to square one. Sure, if you're playing the game for merely the plot and haven't really experienced Gnosticism to its fullest extent in academia or independent research, it's probably one of the better games for you, but I'm not merely playing it for its narrative. In short, Xenogears is perhaps a very ambivalent game. The plot seems okay, but the storytelling is flawed. The combo system could have probably been patched up a little more. The Gear battles seem to be there for the sake of providing some variety. Basically, it could have been much better than it already is. When I played it with its PSN release, I couldn't help but to feel like the game was half-baked at best. Perhaps it's one of those "you had to have been there" sort of games.

The best Xeno-prefix game is Xenoblade, no question. It's not the bestest most amazing game I've played, but it's fairly solid with a lot of stuff for the player to do (even if it suffers from "quests for the sake of quests" syndrome and other issues--like any other game, it's by no means perfect; like Noi said, the combat could use some tinkering). It's a good game, one of the better Wii RPGs, and I would argue that if you're into playing RPGs, you should probably give it a try at least. Don't feel bad if you don't like it, though, because the game does some stuff that people may not like very much.

Of course, I've come to realize that my opinions tend to be minority opinions at times. So don't let what I think serve as a deterrent.

If only you had the time/money to play XIV. Yoshida and Co.'s work has single handedly convinced me that there are more than just Toriyama-level hacks working at SE. The world building in it is pretty much like the older games, with the boon of having a localization team that clearly have fun with the job.
Yeah, it's kinda too bad. I mean, if I get a PS4 update and can beat the game within a month in the summer or something during the free trial period, then maybe. ARR just came out at a bad time for me.

Trophy list in english this early? Guess the game is already localized but there pushing it back because they fear it would bomb this holiday. Also lol at
God of Light
It's a single trophy/cheevo list for all territories and the language would probably change depending on your console's language. The same thing happened with FF13 and FF13-2, and thus the trophies are not stackable (ie: you cannot buy a version of the game from another region and platinum it again).

When I bought FF13 in 2009, prior to the English release, the list was already in English because my console's language is set to English.

Yeah, I agree. Even right down to the NPCs and the gameplay design (even the tutorials), FF7 is incredibly goofy and plays itself out as though it took bits and pieces from the previous games in terms of shifting tone.

Something I appreciate about FF7's dungeons, though, is that while they're incredibly short and don't force the player to spend a lot of time in them (the Shinra Tower, Great Glacier, Gaea's Cliff, Temple of the Ancients Northern Cave would probably refute that), they don't waste a lot of time in trying to get the player across to the next area. They don't have much in terms of design (ie: climb this, get this, etc), but they're relatively alright. The best dungeons in the game have probably got to be the Shinra Tower (oh, for lots and lots of reasons; I think it's perhaps my favourite dungeon in the game because it does some different stuff), Gaea's Cliff, the Great Glacier, and the Ancient Forest. They're puzzley, but don't necessarily wear out their welcome + they have good background assets.

And they're not all the same, either. They have different gimmicks to them, without the need to resorting to "this is a switch puzzle, this is another block puzzle, etc". They're kinda fun. Again, this goes hand-in-hand with what you said about FF7 having some variation.

But I kind of wanted to afford those same accolades to the other PS1 games. FF8 has a lot of great dungeon design ideas, perhaps having some of the better dungeon designs in the PS1-era at times (The Castle, Tomb of the Unknown King, Galbadia Garden, Balamb Garden (I said I liked the Shinra Tower, so me liking the two Garden dungeons isn't out of bounds), etc), even if the dungeon amount isn't as huge or focused. While that game tried to take itself a little more seriously, it still had goofy Zell begging for hot dogs while being hyperactive, Irvine trying to unsuccessfully flirt with any female that moved, Selphie keeping a diary about her exploits with the team while chronicling Laguna's travel journals, making a music festival that you could just easily turn into an irish jig, Dr. Odine wearing whatever the hell he's wearing, and a bunch of other stuff. The game still managed to balance levity with seriousness, even if the main characters didn't always do it. The supporting cast and NPCs still managed to try to breathe some life into the settings.

Additionally, it should be noted that FF8 contrasted a lot with FF6 and FF7 in terms of its art assets. In comparison, it used a lot of lighter colours to those games. Lots of light blues, pinks, whites, greens, etc (and you can easily tell this when you go to Galbadia Garden/D-District Prison/Missile Base where it's completely opposite in tone with respect to all of the other areas in the game). It was lively in comparison to the dour colours of the previous two games. It sometimes created a bit of a dissonance with the plot and tone, but I felt like the balance was relatively even.

And Final Fantasy IX should probably be well-spoken for. A lot of its dungeons are puzzle-based, and some being direct references to other games (Mt. Gulug, Ice Cavern (though loosely)). But to me, FFIX was more homely. It's probably no secret that FFIX is my favourite, so I could probably go on about it.

And it truly is better to start branching out. A few friends of mine started doing that a few years ago since they were so used to playing Square-developed stuff, and it's probably for the best that they did. Sometimes diversifying your repertoire is a good thing.

Noi

It is very possible to beat the main plot in one month. Hell, I'll help ya out to get there if you want to!

CorvoSol

STAY AWAY FROM XENOSAGA EP 2

DO NOT PLAY IT

IT IS FFXIII BEFORE FFXIII

I wish the DS version of the game was translated, but if I don't play Xenosaga ep.2, how will I know what happened between Xenosaga 1 and 3?

I like Xenoblade's world and the level of exploration it allows even at lower levels, but the combat is pretty bleh and the ridiculous amount of sidequests tend to be mostly filler and "kill x, gather y" fetch quests. It certainly puts the XIII series to shame, but I wouldn't say /all/ of SE's output.

The quests are okay when you do a few of them only, but I won't deny that for most of the game I ignored them. I liked when the sudden quests would pop up and tell me to murder some monster.

What I really loved most about the game was that you could just kinda make up your own quests, so to speak. Like in Satorl Marsh I spent like, two days trying to get into that stupid Ignas fortress and slaughter the king.

I don't like the Xenosaga games (*hides quickly*). They have everything that I dislike in some RPGs rolled into one. You're effectively running to the next 15-minute cutscene in dungeons that completely and utterly overstay their welcome with some of the slower combat animations imaginable. The URTV plot in XS2 was good, but I feel like the games overall just spent a lot of time wasting my time.

I was late to the party with Xenogears, too, and I didn't like it either for the most part. Second disc criticisms aside... when you're platforming, you should not get into a random encounter as you're jumping. Like, ever. You mess up your jump, and then you're back to square one. Sure, if you're playing the game for merely the plot and haven't really experienced Gnosticism to its fullest extent in academia or independent research, it's probably one of the better games for you, but I'm not merely playing it for its narrative. In short, Xenogears is perhaps a very ambivalent game. The plot seems okay, but the storytelling is flawed. The combo system could have probably been patched up a little more. The Gear battles seem to be there for the sake of providing some variety. Basically, it could have been much better than it already is. When I played it with its PSN release, I couldn't help but to feel like the game was half-baked at best. Perhaps it's one of those "you had to have been there" sort of games.

The best Xeno-prefix game is Xenoblade, no question. It's not the bestest most amazing game I've played, but it's fairly solid with a lot of stuff for the player to do (even if it suffers from "quests for the sake of quests" syndrome and other issues--like any other game, it's by no means perfect; like Noi said, the combat could use some tinkering). It's a good game, one of the better Wii RPGs, and I would argue that if you're into playing RPGs, you should probably give it a try at least. Don't feel bad if you don't like it, though, because the game does some stuff that people may not like very much.

Of course, I've come to realize that my opinions tend to be minority opinions at times. So don't let what I think serve as a deterrent.

Xenogears is sort of half and half for me. I LOVE the idea of a game where I can play in my mech and play out of it, but at the same time, I HATE how the game leaves me utterly lost all the time. Like sometimes it'll be like "give so and so some space" but instead I need to go and find that person and pester them. And yeah, random battles while platforming sucks, but what I hate most so far is actually gear combat. So far if you can heal I haven't figured out how, and bosses always feel like they're unwinnable and do stupid amounts of damage to you (which, again, I dunno how to heal) and I don't really know how to build up my gears, either.

Also I kind of sort of really hate character design in the game. Mechs are cool, and some characters are fine, like Fei, Citan, and Bart, but like, every time I see Margie I want to punt Chu Chu into her throat.

Xenosaga looks interesting, but I probably won't give it a whirl till I finish Xenogears. I'll do it for KOS-MOS, who is like, Robot Waifu #1.

As to the rest, I really like the PSX era of Square, I think that the SNES to the PSX was their golden era. If I'm being entirely honest though, it's more like 1-4 were the formative games, with 5-9 as the golden days. I don't mean to slam 10-12, though. It's been too long since I played them for me to really give an honest opinion of them.

So other than Tales, SMT/Persona, and Nintendo RPGs, what else should I check into in the future?

Noi

There's an infodump spot in Xenosaga 3 that recaps everything that happens in XS2 (and stuff that happens in between both games and in the DS game that doesn't show up or is mentioned anywhere in the PS2 games) in pretty good detail. It's a better way of experiencing XS2 than actually playing it.

XS3 actually borrows more from the plot of the DS game than it does the XS1 and 2 individually.

CorvoSol

There's an infodump spot in Xenosaga 3 that recaps everything that happens in XS2 (and stuff that happens in between both games and in the DS game that doesn't show up or is mentioned anywhere in the PS2 games) in pretty good detail. It's a better way of experiencing XS2 than actually playing it.

XS3 actually borrows more from the plot of the DS game than it does the XS1 and 2 individually.

Now I really wish I could play the DS game.

I'll be honest, I skipped most of Xenosaga III's cutscenes. Unless there was a fight scene I did not care to pay attention.

Mostly played that game for the battle system and the mechs.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't have any links right now but a couple funny ones are the Cloud and Tifa image where he asks "who invited you?" When she says "lets go meet her together" and the Lightning returning LR.

CorvoSol

I was thinking something like, not scumbag but like Scumbag Cloud.

"Girlfriend dies a horrible death,
Goes snowboarding."

"Seven days till the end of the world,
Races chocobos."

"About to fight final boss,
Let's mosey."

Top Bottom