• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

holdthephone

Neo Member
There is a problem with linearity, I would argue, in a game of XIII's type. The game shows to you massive and beautiful locations you cannot explore. Compared to its immediate predecessor, Final Fantasy XII, this was very bad.

Come on now, an environment being beautiful doesn't mean exploration needs to be present. That's like saying Uncharted should have been open roam because I caught a glimpse of some spectacular views. And an entirely different game (xII) being non-linear doesn't imply that another game should be as well. XIII being extremely linear after a predecessor is, at worst, a case of false advertising. I think we should all be used to that by now.

Every Final Fantasy requires you go on a quest and race against time, but even as Meteor was about to destroy the planet, Cloud could go where he wanted and breed and race Chocobos to his heart's content.

The asinine nature of FFVII's chocobo side quest aside, its endgame freedom was (just like XIII's limitations) modeled after the game it was intended for. Cloud and crew make it clear that they may very likely die in the final encounter, or that defeating Sephiroth may all be for nothing. It tells the characters to go tie up any loose ends in their lives, and thus the player to engage freely in the world he so enjoyed.

What's worse is you could not back track until the very end of the game. No revisiting Sunleth, no revisiting Bhodum, nothing of that sort. There's good reason to rag on an RPG in the Final Fantasy series for being linear.

Once again, this criticism stems from what your expectations are from tradition, not what's actually beneficial to a standalone game itself.

But with reference to character development that stuff was just not good. Note that popular opinion is that FF4DS is the best version of the game because you can customize your characters as you desire. You may choose separate paradigms in XIII, but the game actively discourages you from doing so by making them cost an absurd amount more. The game is closed and linear enough, it doesn't need to discourage the player from customizing their party.

XIII also doesn't play anything like FF4 or what many people choose to compare it to. The system is dynamic and reaction based more than it is stat driven. You have a minimal interface and a trigger finger for reacting to whatever animations you see occur on screen. A soldier is mounting his rocket launcher? Oh shit, better switch to Sentinel. That's the fun of it.

FF4 is a pretty much a blank slate of a turnbased dungeon grinder. It's also a game that could have used a lot work anyway, so anything they add to that game is probably for the better.

All over XIII's design the game is lacking any serious depth, and while some (especially the questionably sane Toriyama) have argued that this was by design, I really cannot accept that that is the case

Perhaps, but I'd join the camp of people who believe he's a capabale director rather than those who believe XIII was a half finished game that was originally meant to be a Skyrim/Chocobo breeding simulator. Not you saying that, but I've seen it thrown around.

I like XIII, but well made and polished it is not. It's a skeleton is what it is. The spine and ribcage of a roleplaying game with skin laid over it, no muscle, organ, or tissue in between.

It's not much of an RPG by traditional definition. I wholly understand where people are offended by it.

My biggest question coming away from beating XIII was why more of the game wasn't like Gran Pulse. I thought that part was awesome, especially when you are climbing the tower. It makes the linear chapter right after it look even more terrible because you immediately want an open world again.

Also, the character models really bugged me. I always felt they were kind of "seperate" from the environment. Like explosions and bullet wounds and such do nothing, there isn't even any blood. I can understand on earlier systems but when its in full HD it looks rather bizarre.

Also, the character models really bugged me. I always felt they were kind of "seperate" from the environment. Like explosions and bullet wounds and such do nothing, there isn't even any blood. I can understand on earlier systems but when its in full HD it looks rather bizarre.

It's rated T. Same reason why Batman in Arkham City isn't a bloodied pulp after being shot, beaten, blown up, drowned, frozen, slashed, kicked through windows, crushed under rubble, and suffered impacts from high falls.

CorvoSol

Spoiler for XIII-2:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/60e14fba82797f2fc479061ff06b5489/tumblr_mi8rz7Hegq1r8uo3io1_1280.png

Yes the T3B ending is waaaay worse, especially if you are a fan of Aya.

I had never played Parasite Eve and T3B still pissed me off.

Come on now, an environment being beautiful doesn't mean exploration needs to be present. That's like saying Uncharted should have been open roam because I caught a glimpse of some spectacular views. And an entirely different game (xII) being non-linear doesn't imply that another game should be as well. XIII being extremely linear after a predecessor is, at worst, a case of false advertising. I think we should all be used to that by now.

That Square Enix has a reputation of being filthy liars originates with this game, you know. This is the game that broke the promises, and the faith of many a fan. And comparing a Final Fantasy to an Uncharted is again, not a good argument for XIII. Comparing it to Xenoblade, where you can go pretty much everywhere you see, on the other hand, is fair as fair can be.

The asinine nature of FFVII's chocobo side quest aside, its endgame freedom was (just like XIII's limitations) modeled after the game it was intended for. Cloud and crew make it clear that they may very likely die in the final encounter, or that defeating Sephiroth may all be for nothing. It tells the characters to go tie up any loose ends in their lives, and thus the player to engage freely in the world he so enjoyed.

Or that's a load of baloney and VII's endgame, like all endgames in the series, was a continuation of the series standard for the full game. In 1 you can go anywhere you want before the final dungeon. In 2 there's a rampaging tornado and you can go anywhere you want. In 3 you can go wheresoever your heart desires. In 4 you can go to the moon, to the world, and to the underworld without worrying about the fact that Golbez is running amok. In 5 you can go underwater and into the sky and all across the world even though Ex-Death has punched a hole in it. You can explore the world's ruins in VI until you yourself decide when to go and fight Kefka. In VII a meteor will destroy the world in a week and you can go and snowboard for hours. In VIII until you go into the time warp you can do as you damn well please. In IX, same thing. In X, with a demon on the rampage, you can fly where you want. In XII, with Vayne closing in on Rabanastre and planning on crashing into it, you can do every single hunt and forget all about it.

Hell, XIII even tried to do it by letting you go back to Pulse and Eden from Orphan's Cradle. It's obvious they WANTED to let you explore more, they just didn't actually make more or let you explore more. There is no narrative reason for this. There has never been a moment in the series that indicates that the narrative rules over whether or not you can explore the world prior to entering the final dungeon. The argument has no foundation in reality.

Once again, this criticism stems from what your expectations are from tradition, not what's actually beneficial to a standalone game itself.

No, no, and more no. My criticism stems from the fact that the game showed signs that it was going to do this, and then just didn't. XIII very obviously tried to do what other games have done, and did not.

But more than that this "criticism" of my critique is absurd, because this is a mainline Final Fantasy game. Why shouldn't I expect it to follow the conventions of the series when it is part of that series? If you want to do something experimental, make a new series. Square used to do that all the time. Nobody expected Front Mission or Star Ocean or Secret of Mana to be like Final Fantasy, on account of it said right there in the title that it wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy. On the other hand, even sub series like Tactics and Crystal Chronicles have been expecting to conserve conventions of the series because they bear its name.

And further still, linearity does not benefit an RPG. It never has. Go back to the PnP days, what kind of dungeon master designs a tube and calls it good? What fun is it if I have zero input into how my character grows? What quest or adventure is this, if the whole reason is for me to reach the next check point and watch the next cut scene, and not to build my party my way and take them in the direction I want to?

I could do that in 1. I could do that in 2. I could do that in 3. I could do that in 5. I could do that in 6. I could do that in 7. I could do that in 8. I could do that in 9. I could do that in 10. I could do that in 11. I could do that in 12. I could do that in any version of 4 released after the SNES era. I could do that in 14. Why, then, should I not be doing it in 13? And how, oh how, does that benefit the game at all?

Linearity is NOT good for an RPG. For some games, like say, platformers, sure, but even then players enjoy secret levels and hidden parts of levels and bonus levels thrown in. I cannot see a good argument for how linearity benefits the genre.

XIII also doesn't play anything like FF4 or what many people choose to compare it to. The system is dynamic and reaction based more than it is stat driven. You have a minimal interface and a trigger finger for reacting to whatever animations you see occur on screen. A soldier is mounting his rocket launcher? Oh shit, better switch to Sentinel. That's the fun of it.

You get attacked, choose attacks from the list, use items and spells to recover, and your attacks are determined by your stats. Whether you stagger or not, determined by stats. How well your sentinel tanks, stats. You can change jobs on the fly, that's true, but I could almost swear that X-2 did something like this as well. So, I don't really agree with you here.

FF4 is a pretty much a blank slate of a turnbased dungeon grinder. It's also a game that could have used a lot work anyway, so anything they add to that game is probably for the better.

But adding to XIII isn't for the better? The developers seem to disagree, given the changes they made to XIII-2.

Perhaps, but I'd join the camp of people who believe he's a capabale director rather than those who believe XIII was a half finished game that was originally meant to be a Skyrim/Chocobo breeding simulator. Not you saying that, but I've seen it thrown around.

But Toriyama is not a competent director. Have you played The Third Birthday or Mind Jack or Front Mission Evolved? He's got the reverse Midas Touch. Everything the man touches turns to dross.

It's not much of an RPG by traditional definition. I wholly understand where people are offended by it.

Why is it a mainline Final Fantasy, then? Why do they sell it as an RPG if it isn't? Why does it have the skeleton and trappings of an RPG if that isn't what it was meant to be?

holdthephone

Neo Member
Shit dude, I could not be more fundamentally opposed to your views on the industry, but I appreciate your patience here. Not much I can say that would take this further, to be honest.

Speedhoven

Neo Member
Hello people! Been a FF fan since i went in the 5th grade. I am now 21 years old. Jumping in into the discussion here...

XIII was a mess. Running straight forward for 30h, while having to endure a mediocre story was painful. I had most fun after those 30h when you was "free" at that "open" place. I felt so limited during the entire time. Even when leveling up. Stupid system.

When you think about it, XII and XIII was two opposites.

XII had..
- HUUGGEE open world. It was fun to explore it.
- Tons of weapons, armor and items to collect.
- Many diffrent summons to find and get.
- Many and great sidequests.
- Boss battles! And many of them.
- Overall, solid gameplay!
- You were unlimited in everything.
- Many towns and cities to explore!
But XII also had...
- Worst FF main character ever. Overall boring characters.
- Horrible soundtrack, and the music is a huge part of FF. Only a few good songs.
- Awful story, from start to finnish.
- Poor story, characters and music... yeah, not exactly a good FF, eh?
- It kind of looked like star wars.

XIII had..
- Great music.
- Okay story.
- Some good characters.
But XIII also had..
- No open world, except for in the second half. Lets be honest, it wasnt that huge.
- Poor weapon and armor arsenal.
- Bad gameplay. Running straight forward for so long.
- Worst sidequests of any FF.
- No town or cities to explore.

XIII did great at what XII did bad, but it also did horrible at what XII did good.

Honestly, this entire console generation has been one big failure from a Final Fantasy perspective. I actully bought my PS3 in 2007 so i could play FFv13... haha.

Noi

Despite people ragging on XII's Gambits as "the game that plays itself", I'd rather other RPGs with AI controlled party members blatantly copy that system than try to come up with their own half-assed AI that never works optimally 90% of the time.

This is the last time I'll rag on Xenoblade's AI, I swear.

CorvoSol

Shit dude, I could not be more fundamentally opposed to your views on the industry, but I appreciate your patience here. Not much I can say that would take this further, to be honest.

It's perfectly okay to think I am flat out wrong on all of this, by the way. Like, we have this happen in this thread fairly often, haha. Schala and I disagree a bunch but it's still cool. Some people think that the fanbase being divided is a huge and terrible deal, but I really think that in this thread, at least, we should be able to all talk and be chill even as we feel the other is wrong.

Beef is flat out wrong about FFVI, but that's okay.

The best example is this:

Magius thinks Gilgamesh is the manliest and best character, but he's wrong, because it's really Golbez.

Wazzy

Banned
Sure. Feel free to browse around, smart group of guys on that site.

Thanks!

It's well written and I certainly agree with many parts however one part in paticular I disagree with.

From one ridiculous set piece to the next, Final Fantasy VIII then becomes convoluted. Its narrative introduces time travel, evil sorceresses, summoned mythical beasts and trips to space, shamelessly changing the rules of its own world at the drop of a hat. Even the game’s ludic elements, that is, its very mechanisms, offer players a way to lose themselves in pointless entertainment. To make their characters stronger, for example, they must “draw” magic from the creatures they encounter, an arbitrary and pointless system that allows players to improve their party without end, even though the game’s difficulty will adjust to any level of grind. Thus, wasting time is a completely voluntary addiction.
How can it change the rules of it's world when 90% of this is mentioned at the very start of the game? We know about GF's from Quistis and can learn about them even earlier through the terminals. Trip's to space is only done by Esthar who are more technologically advanced than the rest of the world. Now, I can understand why some may see the time travel aspect as convoluted but everything else is totally fair.

And the Draw aspect shouldn't be mentinoed as the main leveling mechanic since the card system/Ability refining are the best and easiest way to level.
It's perfectly okay to think I am flat out wrong on all of this, by the way. Like, we have this happen in this thread fairly often, haha. Schala and I disagree a bunch but it's still cool. Some people think that the fanbase being divided is a huge and terrible deal, but I really think that in this thread, at least, we should be able to all talk and be chill even as we feel the other is wrong.

Beef is flat out wrong about FFVI, but that's okay.

The best example is this:

Magius thinks Gilgamesh is the manliest and best character, but he's wrong, because it's really Golbez.

And here's where I jump in and say you're both wrong, It's Raijin.

There's nothing inherently wrong with linear game design, though unfortunately, that does seem to be the trending opinion. XIII had its pacing issues but it benefited from its own philosophy far more than it suffered. The game is quite literally about treading a path that was already decided for you, so it never really made sense for it to be designed in a different manner. Branching paths would indeed be against the idea of its own theme, even within the Crystarium. Hell, I thought the Crystarium wasn't even necessary, but they just added it as a comfort feature for RPG players.

As a matter of preference everyone will feel differently about linearity (especially having been accustomed to the series offering more freedom), of course, but at no point in this particular game did I feel like it implied an openness it didn't deliver. It was all quite deliberate.

Your right, linearity is not necessarily an inherent flaw. It's when taken in the context as a whole for XIII that it becomes a flaw. XIII is not only "linear", it's utterly crippled by how restrictive it is. You have a battle system that is rather complex but completely unavailable to you for over 25 hours. Hell, you are teased with how complex and good it is, only to have a finger waggled in your face saying "uh uh uh... not yet!" and are split off into pairing of two which, when playing as Vanille and Sazh, aren't fun. You have an upgrade system that, while I don't think it's good, wasn't even worth a damn until after 35 hours... but you get 5 hours in. You have Eidolons which aren't strategic at all since the game is set up so that half the time you can't even access one and the other half of the time, due to level caps, the Eidolons aren't worth much. You have a leveling system that is full of leveling caps. You have accessories and weapons which aren't fully utilized until after 35 hours in, if that, because not only is the upgrade system completely useless... you have to grind for all the new parts, many of which are unaccessible until new game plus. But here's the thing: You know you can upgrade them for almost the entire game. Then there are the parts where you are forced to do something. You want to use Lightning? Too Bad! You get to use Hope. You want to use Sazh? Too Bad! You get to use Vanille.

XIII is honestly a test of how patient you are. You are teased with all of these awesome and interesting mechanics early on and then are forced to wait 25 to 35 hours before even being able to use the damn things. And I haven't even talked about the issues I have with the lack of interactivity, the story, or anything else. Maybe for you this wasn't a problem... but for me it was nothing but frustration. But you know what? This is all just my opinion. Maybe you were fine with this. Many weren't, and that's the risk the developers knowingly took. They fully admitted they knew it would be a controversial direction.

Like I said, XIII has a charm to it. And obviously, those negatives weren't enough to deter me from putting 120 hours into the game. That's just my opinion, though.

Noi

Nah.

WoL_Sprite_Alt.png

Did you edit because you realized Balthier isn't manly enough compared to Raijin?

This isn't who has the best Dissidia alt costume.

Did it on accident. MAH MAN BALTHIER IS MANLIEST OF THEM ALL! And unlike Snow, he truly is the "Leading man".

FUCK OFF VAAN! GET OUT OF HERE!

Goddamn yes! They were doing so good with the new character announcements for Dissidia 012: Light, Kain , Yuna, Laguna...BOOM...Vann. Fuck! Damn you Japan!

Balthier WAS GOING TO BE IN DISSIDIA 012 DAMNIT! But NOoooooo! Because he was in Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lion... THEY WENT WITH FUCKIN' VAAN!

Balthier is the leading man, you know it be true!

Balthier WAS GOING TO BE IN DISSIDIA 012 DAMNIT! But NOoooooo! Because he was in Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lion... THEY WENT WITH FUCKIN' VAAN!

Balthier is the leading man, you know it be true!

That was for Dissidia 1. For 012, they where not gonna put Vann because they couldn't get the voice, but the fans(japan) wanted him in. So they got Japan Harry Potter, and we raged.

I believe that I, of all people, have made the case that Golbez is God Tier. It's a tier for a reason. Red Warrior is just some really good character design, though. Nomura and Amano do well.

Yes they do. I've been trying to find high res art of the new characters, but have no luck.

Also, I remember Nomura say that Amano should do all the character design in an interview. I wonder what this fusion would look like rendered in High Quality CG like XIII and now XV.

Noi

I wouldn't mind a XII-2 featuring Vaan (w/ shirt version from FFTA2) actually starring in a game proper. He's decent enough, just placed in a game with way more interesting characters.

Gimme more Ivalice plz.

Wazzy

Banned
I hate affinity so much right now. Particularly in Alcamoth. Too big, too many quests :( I'm wondering if I should do half of them and just come back after? I know they're all times quests but I don't think I'm close to where they run out.

Storyline wise I'm about to get
transported to some place by the captain
am I okay to beat that part of the story?
That's Lord Neo Exdeath, yo.
Oh. I guess that's coo'.

CorvoSol

I hate affinity so much right now. Particularly in Alcamoth. Too big, too many quests :( I'm wondering if I should do half of them and just come back after? I know they're all times quests but I don't think I'm close to where they run out.

Storyline wise I'm about to get
transported to some place by the captain
am I okay to beat that part of the story?

Oh. I guess that's coo'.

You can do quests in Alcamoth whenever you want until you finish the Mechonis.

Wazzy

Banned
You can do quests in Alcamoth whenever you want until you finish the Mechonis.

Ah okay, thanks. I knew the quests ran out when I beat a certain part of the story but since I've never beaten the game I don't know when that part is.

But wow getting back into this game after a year was hard but now that I am, It's a blast.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Goddamn. I have had FFXIII and XIII-2 sitting sealed on the shelf since last Winter when I got them on sale for $10 a piece. Popped XIII in and I played for 6 hours straight. This game is charming as hell and I think the story is actually a bit interesting. Snow is awful but half the cast seems to dislike him too so it all kind of works out. I can totally see why people hate on XIII, its absolutely not for everyone. But it definitely clicked with me. Looks like Im a Final Fantasy fan again after like a decade. Need to still get around to IV, V, VI, IX, and XII.

CorvoSol

Sports are for nerds.

OT, but tell me how you feel about Flowers of Evil, Corvo.

I can't stop hearing that song. I have to get ready for school, but if I get a chance, I will go into more detail. In the mean time, all I can say is that this show is going to end with a knifing and Saeki is Waifu status.

Red Mage

What, like, Blitzball? Triple Triad? Chocobo Racing?! =D

Oh. You mean real sports. Hockey is cool, I s'pose.

Blitzball is still the stupidest fake-sport ever invented.

A) People would drown.
B) You can't throw balls in water like that!

CorvoSol

Isn't Pazaak basically Black Jack?

Who knows and cares? It was awful and I hated Atton Rand because he liked it so much. Anyone who liked Pazaak was a horrible, reprehensible piece of filth lower than any Sith or Dark Jedi in my book. I hated Pazaak. I hated racing them sled things, too, and I blame Pod Racing for that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Xenoblog: Played Xenoblade on my Wii U gamepad. Was awesome. Took down some monsters on Valak. Got Dunban's Whirlwind move that hits 3 times. Going to do some more quests for exp. Are these level 80 monsters end game quests? Because they murder me if I try to take em on.

Xenoblog: Played Xenoblade on my Wii U gamepad. Was awesome. Took down some monsters on Valak. Got Dunban's Whirlwind move that hits 3 times. Going to do some more quests for exp. Are these level 80 monsters end game quests? Because they murder me if I try to take em on.

Psuedo end game yes.

There are monsters far beyond that level though.

CorvoSol

You will kill them just to scrape the EXP necessary to fight the final boss.

Hello gang. Does anyone here know where to get hi-res FF art? I've been trying collect from several of the games. Lately I've been looking for hi-res art from XIV, DISSIDIA 012 , and LR.
Much appreciated for any help you can give.

Top Bottom