• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

aceface

After Xenoblade I'm kinda more then likely burnt out on FF in general. When you experience that and go to something like recent FF installments(Type 0 notwithstanding) and I don't do MMO's. I see BDFF and I say wow this is what I've always asked for from Square yet couldn't take a hint. Of course I always stick around to check on any rare developments that could call me back but none are in sight. People say that XV will be the one to ease my doubts but the thing is...it might "look good" but is it "good"? For me Xenoblade proved itself as it is the most fun I've had in a RPG for a while and made me feel like I was there considering I had a lot of leeway in what to do and the fact if I wanted to explore something....I COULD. And for me, as cliche as the story was...the story was damn good.

And I know some people will think that the fact I like Golden Sun is hypocritical of me to say such things but the fact is, it's just like any average JRPG and that has always what I have been after. And the story isn't that nonsensical. Not to the point Toriyama wants to take his stories anyway. Yes. I'm bitter about Parasite Eve. Yes. I'm bitter about Front Mission. Yes I'm bitter about the current FF projects. Yes. I think all these ports and re-releases are a waste of time. But I want to believe Square can get back to what they were once good at. Making JRPGS. And not Jaded Role Playing Games. Japanese Role Playing Games. Have a vision of a story and of a world and take it where you want to go. Execute your concepts and idea's where they make sense and will thus flow.

I don't want SE to fail. I don't want them to simply stick to mobile. But there isn't much I can do other then voice my concerns. And at the end of the day my concerns and opinions don't really matter as I am not part of their core demographic. It's a matter of liking what they put out and if I do then great and if I don't then too bad.

That's all I have to say right now.

Dude, FFXIV:ARR is basically everything you're asking for. The Last RPG I played and beat was also Xenoblade and it was awesome. Rekindled my love for JRPG's. FFXIV has a ton in common gameplay-wise with Xenoblade. I was "I don't do MMO's guy" before trying this one. But im glad i gave it a go. Really, it's like Xenoblade, in a medieval ff setting, with a chat window. If you're worried about other players there's always cool as hell GAF folks who will help you out. Anyways, I've said about all I can to try to convince folks to play, so I'll shut up now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dude, FFXIV:ARR is basically everything you're asking for. The Last RPG I played and beat was also Xenoblade and it was awesome. Rekindled my love for JRPG's. FFXIV has a ton in common gameplay-wise with Xenoblade. I was "I don't do MMO's guy" before trying this one. But im glad i gave it a go. Really, it's like Xenoblade, in a medieval ff setting, with a chat window. If you're worried about other players there's always cool as hell GAF folks who will help you out. Anyways, I've said about all I can to try to convince folks to play, so I'll shut up now.

Having a good PC(meaning I don't have one) is what stops me every time and I have other priorities right now with what I spend. December right around the corner.

aceface

Having a good PC(meaning I don't have one) is what stops me every time and I have other priorities right now with what I spend. December right around the corner.

Actually I don't do any PC gaming at all. What got me to try FFXIV was the PS3 version...and if you buy the PS3 version you get a free upgrade to the PS4 version when it comes out in Feb.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Actually I don't do any PC gaming at all. What got me to try FFXIV was the PS3 version...and if you buy the PS3 version you get a free upgrade to the PS4 version when it comes out in Feb.

And I don't plan on getting a PS3 for one game. And as it stands a PS4 purchase isn't viable. No games at the moment have my interest. I'm a complicated person.

The Front Mission situation sucks, but at least it's a series that managed to pull 5 quality titles. Although I'm not too much of a fan of the original.

Heropon

For the second character of the week the RNG (after some selective rejections) has decided that we'll have a real hero this time. It has some FFXII spoilers in the origins and character sections so I would avoid reading this if I hadn't played it.

9FHoF3K.png

Related themes:

7zMev.png
FFXII Revenant Wings - Balthier's Theme (Destiny)
7zMev.png
Final Fantasy XII - The Phon Coast

Profile:
  • Name: Ffamran Mied Bunansa
  • Artistic name: Balthier
  • Appearances: Final Fantasy XII, Revenant Wings, Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions, Theatrhythm iOS, Curtain Call and minor appearances in other games no one cares of.
  • Birthplace: Archades (Archadian Empire)
  • Job: Sky Pirate
  • Accesories: Earrings and those colourful rings and wristbands that were a fad five years ago.
  • Dislikes: Giruvegan, the Great Crystal and his inability to pull the trigger in time.
  • Weapon of choice: Everything that can be bought but specially guns, because they fit better the leading man even if he's bad at using them.

The origins:

Balthier lived in Archades with his mysterious mother, his two successful and mysterious brothers and his dad Cidolfus Demen(s) Bunansa, some kind of scientific genius. Balthier's life was marked by his father's research and craziness after a trip he did to a mythical city in another continent that made him incredibly obsessive about the mysterious material called nethicite and thanks to that he was made a judge (read: Archadian general) to help him with his research in the field of war. Balthier's justice senses started tingling then and he had to abandon his family to become a mighty adventurer just to stop obeying his father's orders and escape from the nethicite's reach.

In the middle of his adventures he met a viera called Fran and they became a famous duo of sky pirates with an equally famous airship called the Strahl that he stole from Archades when he left that place. Meanwhile, all the members of Balthier's family not called Cid were put on a bus just so they couldn't interrupt FFXII's story.

Character overview:

At a first glance it would seem that he only minds his own business like getting new and shiny treasures or living a life full of adventures but behind that sarcastic babble hides a true gentleman. He cares about people more than he would like to admit and helps as much as he can when he assesses that people are worth it. His background as a former archadian noble makes him the best person when one wants to know about Archades and its inner operations. Who could hate a man that is nice and knowledgeable at the same time?

The only bad thing about him is that he has inherited a bit of his old man's craziness and keeps talking about being the leading man of who knows what story. At least he doesn't say "my story" as much as other crazies out there.

The Fashion Boulevard:

Balthier uses the gil he receives from selling his loot in what seems to be expensive clothes. Too bad it isn't enough to buy some decent shoes. There could be some hidden reasons for that like maybe wanting to attract women with heel fetish, but to this day it remains a mystery.

The rest of his clothes mix well, specially those gorgeous holsters. Personally, I always liked the ones Lara Croft had and I'm happy to see a good character like Balthier wear them with so much style.

Battle overview:

In FFXII Balthier had mmmmm... a bit more speed than the other characters soooooo... he was specialized in doing whatever the other characters could do like using Curaja when someone had low HP, cure status ailments, revive people and attack the monsters when the other gambits don't activate. You know, the usual stuff. One interesting detail about Balthier is that his animation using guns is longer than that of the other characters and that makes him the worst gun user, not that people would use guns anyway but it's always a good time for a bit of trivia.

About the """"""""international"""""""" version, バルフレア has 盗む since the beginning so it's useful to give him a ジョブ like the 白魔道士 that doesn't have it so that class can enjoy a bonus in HP, and it really needs it.

In Revenant Wings Balthier is a long ranged character thanks to, once again, the use of guns. I suppose he was a good character? I'm incredibly lost when talking about spin offs, sorry. ;)

In Tactics he's a better version of Mustadio Bunansa thanks to his mix of stealing and shooting technicks. That makes him a great character to have as attacking from afar coupled with the ability to immobilize enemies and steal from them is a really good quality to have in a SRPG.

Ratings:

Personality: ★★★★☆ Interesting
Design: ★★★★☆ Good
Battle: ★★★☆☆ Average

Overall: ★★★★☆ Good

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not even sure how to react. And it's the gift that keeps on giving
apparently XIII was a creation myth for Earth. That's a thing. I keep wondering when Toriyama is gonna break through the screen and laugh at us, thus completing the troll

If it's a myth it never happened.

Mik317

Not thread worthy at all but What the flying fuck is up with FFXIII-2's ending...

that is bullshit. It could have ended happily there and everything. Da fuq?

About the LR ending...

I don't think I would have had a such problem with it if the whole mythology of the trilogy was told in such a shit poor manner. It's just... again, I can't even formulate words to describe how I feel about that ending.

Heropon

Isn't Bravely Default published by Nintendo in the West?

Ah, yes. Then I suppose the date is thanks to that unwritten rule of not trying to release anything between Black Friday and February that Nintendo and other companies seem to have there. Is there some kind of black hole of sales for niche titles during that time?

PK Gaming

lol...I guess I will find out then.

It's funny tho that the series has had two perfectly good endings and yet continued on because reasons
Huge shame I actually liked FFXIII-2 for the most part. I was hoping they'd end on a high note so we wouldn't have to consider FFXIII-3. Oh well!

And wait six months for your next turn in battle.

You exaggerate dear Corvo. It may be a tiny bit slow but it's still very enjoyable. And that battle music is just lovely. Besides, would you want the battles to go by fast when you're doing the Festival of Hunt with that awesome music playing? I DON'T THINK SO

I never noticed the battles being painfully slow.

Then again I first played FFIX immediately after playing FFXIII so at that point I don't think I cared.

Just bought FFT for my iPhone to play while I'm at work.

Hopefully I made the right choice on this port over FFIV or the after years.

Top Bottom