• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Guys I hate post XIII Lightning and post XIII XIII in general, I do, and I'm excited for XV, I am, but to be perfectly honest the fan-obsession on GAF for XV is pretty much the same kind of creepy fan-obsession XIII has going EXCEPT XV HASN'T EVEN COME OUT YET.

If XV winds up sucking, things are only going to get worse, I tell you.

Meanwhile, my fan-obsession with IV is perfectly sane.

Heropon

Guys I hate post XIII Lightning and post XIII XIII in general, I do, and I'm excited for XV, I am, but to be perfectly honest the fan-obsession on GAF for XV is pretty much the same kind of creepy fan-obsession XIII has going EXCEPT XV HASN'T EVEN COME OUT YET.

If XV winds up sucking, things are only going to get worse, I tell you.

I remember Noctis mentions in those favourite character threads when we knew almost nothing about him (we still don't), so I'm not surprised about what you talk. I hope FFXV and Noctis are excellent just for everyone's sanity.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I've never really understood people defending XV's story and characters when we know absolutely nothing about them.

I can understand like a characters art design but them being your favourite when you don't know what they're like is odd.
You guys should just join us and play XIV. Takes the pain of the XIII trilogy away.
I keep putting off buying XIV and yet I really want to play it :(

I've got too many games at the moment. Pokemon X, Zelda ALBTW, Ys and Xenoblade.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I was able to hear LR's version of Clash on the Big Bridge and it's silly to hear and that alone makes it great to listen to.

:D

GILGAMESH!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm making a list of RPG's I should get for GCN, PS2 and Wii. Any suggestions other then FF games since I've already played those. And Xenosaga is already on my list so forget about that as well.

CorvoSol

Darnit Corvo...it's fairly cheap and you save money on other games!

If I could play the base game without a subscrip fee whenever I wanted start to finish and all other storylines were the expansion/mmo part, sure. But I ain't dropping 60 bucks for a game I can't ever replay without dropping another 60 bucks or whatever.

If I could play the base game without a subscrip fee whenever I wanted start to finish and all other storylines were the expansion/mmo part, sure. But I ain't dropping 60 bucks for a game I can't ever replay without dropping another 60 bucks or whatever.

It's 14.99 today.

>_>

Ultratech

I'd be tempted to play XIV, but I'd have to get something that would run it first...

I'm making a list of RPG's I should get for GCN, PS2 and Wii. Any suggestions other then FF games since I've already played those. And Xenosaga is already on my list so forget about that as well.

Hmm...try the Baten Kaitos series?

I plan on playing through it finally during the holidays.
Finally got BK:Origins, though I had to get the 1st disc resurfaced due to a scratch on the disc I couldn't see.

As far as PS2 goes, you prolly won't have much trouble finding some good ones.

CorvoSol

Comes with a free month I believe.

If it stays this low in the Summer, I'll consider it.

An open request/inquest to the thread: Does anybody know if there's somewhere out there selling the Dissidia Arts volume 2 set for less than 60 bucks? I kinda want it, but not at that price I don't.

PK Gaming

Found these on tumblr

tumblr_mx1o6frllM1rertv1o3_500.jpg

tumblr_mx1o6frllM1rertv1o2_250.jpg
tumblr_mx1o6frllM1rertv1o4_250.jpg

tumblr_mx1o6frllM1rertv1o1_500.jpg

I want them so badly

Noi

You guys are hellbent on getting me to play this game, aren't you?

We just want to restore your faith in Final Fantasy. SOME people at SE are still capable of doing a good job.

IF I were to play XIV, I'd probably either go for Hume or cat. Job classes would be RM/Dancer/Samurai.

But no way could I go through 3 job classes in 1 month.

It's a good thing that only one of those races and none of those jobs ares in XIV then!

CorvoSol

We just want to restore your faith in Final Fantasy. SOME people at SE are still capable of doing a good job.

It's a good thing that only one of those races and none of those jobs ares in XIV then!

You can call a Hume a Clavaat but he's still the same sort of dude. Sucks to hear there's no dancer or samurai, though.

And besides, Type-0 maintains my faith, such as it is.

What is up with the Japanese cover of Final Fantasy IV?

It has ... what looks like the Warrior from FF1, Rosa, Edge, a Black Mage, a White Mage, and a Chocobo.

What?

Been playing FF4 on the 3DS and I'm at the part where they explain
the relationship between Golbez and Cecil. Feels man. The feels. Oh man Theodor is a dick.

aceface

If you can stomach playing MMOs then do it man.

Don't be like me, having to wait two years to get an FF he may or may not even enjoy.

:(

In FFXIV you can honestly solo 90% of the story content easily if that's your bag. So much FF fan service too, especially from the older games. I had never played an MMO before this one but as a diehard FF fan the game really won me over.

CorvoSol

What is up with the Japanese cover of Final Fantasy IV?

It has ... what looks like the Warrior from FF1, Rosa, Edge, a Black Mage, a White Mage, and a Chocobo.

What?

Probably hold overs from when FF4 was going to be an NES game, would be my guess. The warrior (or, more accurately the FF3 Knight) is Cecil. If you took that sprite and recolored it purple and gold you'd get Cecil's Paladin sprite. The Black Mage and White Mage I dunno, they probably slapped those on with the Chocobo so peeps'd know it was an FF Game.

Been playing FF4 on the 3DS and I'm at the part where they explain
the relationship between Golbez and Cecil. Feels man. The feels. Oh man Theodor is a dick.

I love that part. Settles the whole
was Golbez forced to do things, or manipulated into doing them?
debate.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll consider XIV ARR when they start bringing in playable monster races and Berserker classes.

Which means I'll never play it.

------------

Don't do it Corvo! Don't succumb to peer pressure.

CorvoSol

I'll consider XIV ARR when they start bringing in playable monster races and Berserker classes.

Which means I'll never play it.

------------

Don't do it Corvo! Don't succumb to peer pressure.

I don't have the money to succumb to peer pressure right now, anyway. As it is I have a grip of RPGs I need to finish anyway.

As in Shin Megami Beat the Shit out of You In One Turn Tensei Four Waves of Monsters All Getting to Strike First; Tales of the Animu Abyss, and Persona 3 Portable: Is this an RPG or a Visual Novel? Project Boob-bouncing Zone also.

And of course Dragon Quest IV, Bowser's Inside Story, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Final Fantasy Legends 2 DS and my replay of The World Ends With You.

Plus Super Robot Wars Z2, Alpha, and Operation Extend. PLUS Final Fantasy Dimensions whenever I reaaaaaally have nothing to do.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand at some point I should really finish FFX, FFXII and Dragon Quest VIII.

Truth be told though, I'm sort of still burned out on FF. I did play more or less the entire series for almost 2 years straight, including 2 aspergers level run throughs of The After Years. So chances are I will come back to Final Fantasy when Bravely Default happens, when the Type-0 translation happens, or when Square releases a new one, which doesn't sound like it is happening in the near future, so yeah.

Someone in that thread said BD reminded them of IX...considering how much I love me some IX, it's gonna be hard for me not to try it out now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After Xenoblade I'm kinda more then likely burnt out on FF in general. When you experience that and go to something like recent FF installments(Type 0 notwithstanding) and I don't do MMO's. I see BDFF and I say wow this is what I've always asked for from Square yet couldn't take a hint. Of course I always stick around to check on any rare developments that could call me back but none are in sight. People say that XV will be the one to ease my doubts but the thing is...it might "look good" but is it "good"? For me Xenoblade proved itself as it is the most fun I've had in a RPG for a while and made me feel like I was there considering I had a lot of leeway in what to do and the fact if I wanted to explore something....I COULD. And for me, as cliche as the story was...the story was damn good.

And I know some people will think that the fact I like Golden Sun is hypocritical of me to say such things but the fact is, it's just like any average JRPG and that has always what I have been after. And the story isn't that nonsensical. Not to the point Toriyama wants to take his stories anyway. Yes. I'm bitter about Parasite Eve. Yes. I'm bitter about Front Mission. Yes I'm bitter about the current FF projects. Yes. I think all these ports and re-releases are a waste of time. But I want to believe Square can get back to what they were once good at. Making JRPGS. And not Jaded Role Playing Games. Japanese Role Playing Games. Have a vision of a story and of a world and take it where you want to go. Execute your concepts and idea's where they make sense and will thus flow.

I don't want SE to fail. I don't want them to simply stick to mobile. But there isn't much I can do other then voice my concerns. And at the end of the day my concerns and opinions don't really matter as I am not part of their core demographic. It's a matter of liking what they put out and if I do then great and if I don't then too bad.

That's all I have to say right now.

Wazzy

Banned
Bitter about Front Mission? Wasnt the last one supposed to be really good? Or do you mean bitter it didn't get an English release?

But I know what you mean. I burnt myself out in FF recently too and the only game I'm really looking forward to that is FF related is X/X2 HD. I might also do another VIII replay.

Wazzy

Banned
What the hell...I didn't know FM Evolved existed.

Is it really bad? I love FM so I would love a new game but going by your guys impressions... :(

Top Bottom