• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

PK Gaming

Well FF6 Remake will be at Jump Festa. Can't wait.

For iOS
tumblr_mobcucyV4j1qbw8mwo2_500.gif

FFV got screwed out of a proper remake, but i'm still holding out for an amazing 3DS remak for VI. It's unlikely, but it can't hurt to dream.

Fuck, it's real.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A lot of the FFX arrangements seem more suited for an arrangement album as opposed to being applied in a game setting to me.

That Seymour theme, for example, has a lot of stuff going on in it, and doesn't really fit well with the pacing in the game to me at all. It's a good arrangement, but in an applied circumstance, it clashes with the game's pacing (and with some of the game's straightforward/non-compounding nature to me. There's a reason why a lot of FFX's music felt slow to me. The game was slowly paced in a lot of places to me, and I felt the original soundtrack--while not one of my favourite FF soundtracks--suited the game in general.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Kay guys. I ordered Xenosaga 1 and 2 today. I'll get Xenosaga 3 in a week or two. Can't wait.

-------------

Since I love everything negative what do you guys think the future of Final Fantasy as a franchise will consist of? My opinion isn't really important since I can agree with myself whenever I want.

CorvoSol

Kay guys. I ordered Xenosaga 1 and 2 today. I'll get Xenosaga 3 in a week or two. Can't wait.

-------------

Since I love everything negative what do you guys think the future of Final Fantasy as a franchise will consist of? My opinion isn't really important since I can agree with myself whenever I want.

There is no future. After XV it's done. Or is it that I'm done? I don't remember. But I mean Square Enix is bleeding talent almost as rapidly as it is trust. It's like they fucked up so badly with XIII and pre-ARR XIV it drove them insane.

There is no future. After XV it's done. Or is it that I'm done? I don't remember. But I mean Square Enix is bleeding talent almost as rapidly as it is trust. It's like they fucked up so badly with XIII and pre-ARR XIV it drove them insane.

For me, after XV I will definitely be done.

This one is the closest FF will ever get to my personal taste maybe if they don't horribly fuck it up.

Other companies are also becoming more worth my time now.

I'm an admitted SE fanperson. No matter how badly they screw up Final Fantasy, I will still end up playing them. I admit to being part of the problem...=/

CorvoSol

For me, after XV I will definitely be done.

This one is the closest FF will ever get to my personal taste maybe if they don't horribly fuck it up.

Other companies are also becoming more worth my time now.

I think that last part is true for me, too. It's time I checked out Tales and MegaTen and Persona. FF was good to me, but if Square isn't interested in fixing their catastrophic transformation, I'm not much interested in giving them my monies.

I feel like people invest way too much time and energy getting angry at Square. If they release good games, I will buy them, there's not really much else I can do to influence their decisions.

I have high expectations for XV and hope that someone, somewhere is beginning work on XVI. I remember back during e3 when there was all this excitement about XV and KH3 and how Square was turning around and yet here we are a mere 6 months later and they're back to being the worst company in existence and will never deliver on any promises and ruin everything they've ever loved.

Maybe I'm too positive to be an FF fan though lol, I enjoy playing all the games even with their flaws.

CorvoSol

I feel like people invest way too much time and energy getting angry at Square. If they release good games, I will buy them, there's not really much else I can do to influence their decisions.

I have high expectations for XV and hope that someone, somewhere is beginning work on XVI. I remember back during e3 when there was all this excitement about XV and KH3 and how Square was turning around and yet here we are a mere 6 months later and they're back to being the worst company in existence and will never deliver on any promises and ruin everything they've ever loved.

Maybe I'm too positive to be an FF fan though lol, I enjoy playing all the games even with their flaws.

I don't honestly think the people who are saying Square is the worst are the same as those who were claiming it was turned around. Because no matter how good XV is when it comes out at this point, it will still be the game that took nearly a decade to come out.

I feel like people think there's some significant organization, or dedication among the fans who aren't happy with Square, and frankly, they're kidding themselves. I'm not pouring energy into this. Even now, as I type this, I'm not.

I just think Square's been pulling bullshit for years now, and I'm not cool with that, so my business will be going elsewhere. I mean there's been years and years where show after show Square has nothing, save it be another port and a mobile release. There was the fiasco that was XIII and the fact they had to make XIV twice just to get it right. And that they had to retool XIII Versus into XV and its taken them years to show us what little they have.

Hell, if anything, KH III demonstrates that Square hasn't really learned anything at all. Like Hell is that game coming out any time in the near future. Especially with the way Nomura works. Square's done this to themselves. They start these hype trains years and years in advance and then its closed megatheater this and please be excited for these ten seconds of additional footage in the same trailer we've been showing for three years that.

And this is without going into the bullshit way they've just suddenly stopped localizing half of their stuff, stuff people want and would buy.

I grew up playing Final Fantasy. I'm a year younger than the franchise itself. When pressed to make a list of gaming franchises I play, it'd likely rank near the top every time. I like the series, but I'm burned out on Square's ridiculous antics in the 4 years since they released the unfinished product that is XIII.

But do I devote a significant amount of energy to hating on Square or whatever? No. I'm not fanatical about this. I'm disappointed, yeah, but the general tone of the post I made earlier that I'd like to reiterate here is just that I've moved on. At one point I was angrier. Now I'm just kinda done with them.

So I actually had a pretty great response before I accidentally closed the tab...

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with the statement that Square has made some incredibly dumb decisions over the past few years. The fact that no company in the industry has received as much anger and criticism directed at them in the past few years shows how much its (well, used to be) fans care about the franchises that the Square of old gave us. But I also feel there is a limit to that criticism, especially when virtually every single action they take or shitty mobile / free to play game seems to get its own thread and hundreds of posts condemning it. It just gets a bit tiring. But Square is a business and they go where the money is (or at least they think that's where they go), and if that venture fails they will suffer for it. Personally I don't see how a company that large can survive entirely on cheap mobile games and the occasional big AAA release.

For some perspective on my views I had never actually played a FF until 2011 when I tried VII for the first time and fell in the love with the series (barring when I played X when I was 10 and had no idea what was going on). I also did not care for XV until I saw the e3 2013 trailer.

A little unrelated question for those in the know: how much complaining went on between the release of X and XII? When people complain about the length between FFs they always compared XV to the release of XII, yet between XII and XIII there was only a three year gap, while the one between X and XII was five years. If XV releases in 2015
believe
it will only have been a year longer than that.

Noi

This is generally how I feel about a lot of "Gods" from the past generation after this one. I used to get really angry about the stuff they did, which I'd argue is better than my current state of being apathetic towards them. When you're angry about something, it's because you care about it enough to get emotional. If you're apathetic, it means you no longer care about anything they do.

I'll still buy and support things that I like and think are neat from Square, but I can also admit that I'm not longer as big a "blind faith" buyer of their products as I used to be. I bought the CE for FFXIII-2 on Amazon when I could have bought it locally cause Amazon always charges me shipping just for the Omega pre-order DLC. I bought the Le strategy guides for XIII and XIII-2 (the latter of which is still shrink wrapped). I have absolutely no interest in buying LR until it's at a bargain bin price. Pretty much the same deal with Capcom, EA, Konami, etc. It's a shame too, cause I /want/ to support their stuff, but I no longer feel like paying top dollar for games of dubious quality when I know they can do better.

CorvoSol

Capcom is a great example of another company that's gotten a lot of shit recently for doing a lot of stupid things. They get off the hook ever so slightly because they still put out good things every once in awhile.

Between X and XII there was a fair amount of heckling. XII itself was sort of a warning sign. It's a great game, especially compared to what's come after it, but the writing was on the wall. Matsuno cracking under the stress, Vaan being forced into the plot, TA2 and Revenant Wings (I can't speak to the quality of the latter, but allow me to repeat that the former sucked ass) and the lengthy period of time it took to make all sort of were warning signs. Heck, XII even visibly suffers at the point when Matsuno left. It goes from being a great political drama to LOL KILL THE GODS for the millionth time. The game remains great though when compared to XIII. The difference between the two is night and day.

Now, though, Square's pretty different from the Square that put out X, X-2 and XII. If people are complaining now, it would be because Square's frittered and wasted the good faith they had. A state they weren't in in the PS2 era, where they'd just wrapped up their stellar PS1 years.

You could draw false similarities, I suppose (People hated on the Compilation of VII as they do the FNC, Square pumped out ports of their SNES classics that people dissed on, etc) but then the Compilation didn't feature a negatively reviewed mainline game, and its games did not take over half a decade to see the light of day. The remakes for GBA are only panned by a few, whereas the mobile remakes gain much more vocal detraction.

More to the point, though, PS2 era Square was just plain different from how they are now. They put out FF and KH games for console, they still had a few Mana games left, they didn't goof around with closed megatheaters and they were sure to translate pretty much everything they put out.

Noi

Even in the PS2/PSP era, Square had both Full Metal Alchemist games, the not!Musashi sequel, Radiata Stories, Unlimited and Romancing SaGa, Drakengards 1 and 2, Grandia, Mana, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile. Even if you hated how long it was taking for FFXII to come out, there were still other things being released by SE that could keep you invested in the company and didn't take five years each to come out.

In recent years, if you don't love the way they've handled Final Fantasy and live in North America, you're basically SOL as far as their output goes. Nier happened at the beginning of the generation, people would rather forget about Star Ocean 4, we had to essentially pray for Drakengard 3 to get localized and it took them till 2013 to release their first HD collection. I'm sure Bravely Default is good, but it took Nintendo localizing it for us to get it at all a whole year after the original version. Even Dragon Quest games aren't guaranteed localizations anymore. If they aren't willing to bring over the games I'm interested in, why should I care about the rest of their output?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Isn't the FF Agito iOS game due out soon? Not that I really care or anything. Could have sworn that was a December ordeal. Or something.

Edit: Wait no 2014 release. Bugger.

CorvoSol

Isn't the FF Agito iOS game due out soon? Not that I really care or anything. Could have sworn that was a December ordeal. Or something.

Edit: Wait no 2014 release. Bugger.

Does it say when in 2014? I'm not super keen on it, but its better that than nothing, I guess.

I just cannot wrap my head around some of the polygon counts in Lightning Returns. Some of Lightning's models are only 7,300. To give you reference, the average anymore is 20,000 (with some like Uncharted 3's Nathan Drake pushing 42,000) and Tidus' cutscene model had ~7,500. I'm by no means an expert, so if someone wants to shed some light on this, go right ahead.

I was stoked to discover today that "Somnus" (from FFXV) is a DLC for Theatrhythm (and has been for 2 years, apparently). I was looking through the DLC list and was like, "what, huh, Somnus, really??" I already know the song well from watching the trailers dozens of times. And there's a polygonal Lucis in the background as you play. Best $0.99 I've spent in awhile!

CorvoSol

I was stoked to discover today that "Somnus" (from FFXV) is a DLC for Theatrhythm (and has been for 2 years, apparently). I was looking through the DLC list and was like, "what, huh, Somnus, really??" I already know the song well from watching the trailers dozens of times. And there's a polygonal Lucis in the background as you play. Best $0.99 I've spent in awhile!

Yeah i bought that one.

I think that last part is true for me, too. It's time I checked out Tales and MegaTen and Persona. FF was good to me, but if Square isn't interested in fixing their catastrophic transformation, I'm not much interested in giving them my monies.
I think I'm willing to give SE another chance. New generation, new engine. One of the biggest issues for SE was the crappy engine they were stuck with in the previous generation. There wasn't much they could do to improve it without ruining assets.

The other issue I have with SE is the writing in the XIII trilogy. Thank god the teams are different this time around for XV. From the trailers alone, the character interaction seems much more interesting. Hope it isn't as stiff as XIII's.

In the end, I love going back to SE because they always change up the battle system somehow to keep things fresh, and every FF has a distinct feel to it with respect to lore, character, story, setting. Not willing to give up on them yet.

If XV does end up a pile of hooey though, that's a different story.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi said everything I wanted to say.

Either way, I stuck (mostly) to Squaresoft and Enix when I was playing NES and SNES RPGs (obviously Genesis/Mega Drive/other systems was a different story, and I still played Ultima/Wizardry/early stuff) for the most part with a little branching out now and then because: a) That's what my cousins played for the most part outside of Falcom/Namco stuff, and b) they were safe/easier beginner RPGs. I didn't start branching out until I was a little older and started playing more PC stuff that my cousins were into. If anything, the PC platform opened me up to a whole new world of RPGs: the origins of the genre, MUDs, PnP origins, and what different people were doing with it at the present time or into the future. I cut my teeth on platformers, but I love the RPG genre a lot. It does so much. Sure it exhibits a lot of genre bleeding, but I feel like that stuff can propel the genre forward. It's only if that genre blend is done in an incoherent way, then it gets very... irritating, to be honest.

Also, rental stores were awesome. I looooved renting stuff out because games were really expensive back then. Most of the stuff I've ever played, I'd rented or borrowed from someone. We don't have anything like GameFly here in Canada, so I envy you all.

Either way, FF's a good starting point, because for a lot of the games between 4 and 10-2, you do have this safety net of polish, coherent game design, and communicative games development. But it isn't the be-all and end-all. Other series and other companies, with the exception of maybe CG work but Sega can probably give them a run for their money sometimes, can do the same thing like bringing variance to battle systems, coming up with different lore for each game, etc. and sometimes they can do it better. Branching out and expanding your repertoire of RPGs played is very good. It truly does make you appreciate certain things that are done in the genre in general.

Anyway, the company I'm most furious with this gen is Konami and it isn't just the obvious reason why.

The company I'm most disappointed with is Capcpom, but that goes without saying.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's not like SE screwing up their series is anything exclusive to the last gen. I'm still mad about what they did with the Mana series.

For Final Fantasy they got me so far that I'm not even hyped for the next main line entry anymore. I do enjoy FFXIV, though I feel like I play too many different games to get my money's worth out of a subscription-based game, but that's not their fault. Actually, looking back, my favorite FF game of the last 8 years is a rhythm game (not counting remakes), don't know what that says about the series.

And I don't really feel optimistic about the future of Dragon Quest either. Uncertain localizations don't really help.

And just for one final good laugh, look at the Front Mission series. Now that I think about it, they should have taken a deeper look at Valkyria Chronicles, that's a style that just might have worked with Front Mission. Evolved is probably the saddest "sequel" to one of their classic franchises since Dawn of Mana.

Anyway, the company I'm most furious with this gen is Konami and it isn't just the obvious reason why.

I really struggle to even think of anything they released in recent years apart from Metal Gear, PES and something they still call Castlevania. I can't be furious at them, there's nothing to be furious about except the nothingness. And then they absorb Hudson.
Wait, they did release Hard Corps: Uprising, that was great.

The company I'm most disappointed with is Capcpom, but that goes without saying.

At the very least they released MM9 and the Ace Attorney games, so that makes two things I really like. Overall I'm not as disappointed with Capcom, since I just didn't expect as much of them anyway anymore. Okay, the BoF6 announcement hurt.

But that sounds all so negative, other companies have had a great output recently and boy am I glad that I finally took a closer look at Falcom's games last gen.

Heropon

I really struggle to even think of anything they released in recent years apart from Metal Gear, PES and something they still call Castlevania.

They released a Yu-Gi-Oh! game in Japan four days ago, that's another franchise that hasn't been killed by that game company. Let's see how much it takes them, though...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Do they even still have an anime/manga series to base them on? Last time I saw something of Yu-Gi-Oh! they started playing cards while racing on motor-cycles. Felt like the series really jumped the shark.

Top Bottom