• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Heropon

Do they even still have an anime/manga series to base them on? Last time I saw something of Yu-Gi-Oh! they started playing cards while racing on motor-cycles. Felt like the series really jumped the shark.

The game I'm talking about seems to be based on an ongoing spin-off called Zexal that added this new type of cards:

aROztuu.png

Noi

The game I'm talking about seems to be based on an ongoing spin-off called Zexal that added these cards:

aROztuu.png

Hey, that's what my IRL deck is built arou-

Err, I mean, what?

Nothing past the original YGO series has been good, but kids still watch it so it keeps going.

Deadly

Just wanted to share that I went to the Distant Worlds concert yesterday and it was AMAZING. Time passed by so fast. Wish they had played Melodies of Life but we got You're not Alone at least.

Tizoc

The thing about all the trash talking of Square, SEGA and Capcom, to name a few, is that people will shit on them, but once they announce on title they like they flip a 180, and then they'll go back to shitting on them until another game they're OK with gets released and they flip a 180 again.

From playing Ace Attorney 5, it shows that Capcom still got it, it's just a shame that there's the high possibility that they'll just end up releasing a handful of retail titles on consoles, with most of thier income coming from Mobile/TouchPhone.

As someone who has never played Drakengard, I'm looking forward to Drakengard 3 if its gameplay delivers.

CorvoSol

The thing about all the trash talking of Square, SEGA and Capcom, to name a few, is that people will shit on them, but once they announce on title they like they flip a 180, and then they'll go back to shitting on them until another game they're OK with gets released and they flip a 180 again.

From playing Ace Attorney 5, it shows that Capcom still got it, it's just a shame that there's the high possibility that they'll just end up releasing a handful of retail titles on consoles, with most of thier income coming from Mobile/TouchPhone.

As someone who has never played Drakengard, I'm looking forward to Drakengard 3 if its gameplay delivers.

Your first paragraph outlines what's called "Boy I wish they'd give me more of these games I like instead of filling the intervening half-decade space with utter shit."

Capcpcom can put out AA5, but they're still the rat bastards who made Rockman Xover.

Ultratech

The company I'm most disappointed with is Capcpom, but that goes without saying.

Capcpom is very hit-and-miss.

For one thing that they'll do right, they'll go and then do something incredibly stupid jumping two or three steps back. (It's borderline baffling sometimes.)

If the first two games are any indication, expect something like Dynasty Warriors with occasional dragon flying/shooting.

Last thing on LR until February:

The concept art? It looks so much fucking better than the in game models

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_6.jpg

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_5.jpg

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_3.jpg

Maybe it's because Lightning is correctly proportioned in the drawing (or at least more so than the in game model is), maybe it's that the more over the top look doesn't translate to the semi-realistic hybrid style they are going for, maybe it's because it just doesn't work with the rendering... I don't know. But seriously, holy shit does the concept art look much better in comparison to the in game counterpart.

In other news, I'll be trying the VIII steam version.

CorvoSol

Damn straight. Bravely Default and it's sequel along with "X" have me so excited. Excitement I haven't felt in a long time. XV doesn't even move me.

I'm fairly excited for XV. About as excited as you can expect someone who doesn't intend to buy a PS4 any time in the foreseeable future to be, anyway. Well, discounting the nutjobs on the internet who think Noctis is their favorite character and the best one ever even though we know NOTHING about him or his game.

I mean I saw the trailer, and hearing Tabata is attached has me hopeful. I'm nowhere near as hyped for it as I was for XIII, though, and I think that alone reflects what this last generation has done.

X, BD, P5 and FE vs SMT are my big upcoming RPGs. Especially X.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm fairly excited for XV. About as excited as you can expect someone who doesn't intend to buy a PS4 any time in the foreseeable future to be, anyway. Well, discounting the nutjobs on the internet who think Noctis is their favorite character and the best one ever even though we know NOTHING about him or his game.

I mean I saw the trailer, and hearing Tabata is attached has me hopeful. I'm nowhere near as hyped for it as I was for XIII, though, and I think that alone reflects what this last generation has done.

X, BD, P5 and FE vs SMT are my big upcoming RPGs. Especially X.

Yeah well I'll only get XV if GILGAMESH is in it. I don't really need to get a PS4 either. I have friends for that. I'll just use their system should the need arise. It's what I do.

I can't justify getting a system for one game. A game that has a info ban and is tied to a company that has promises in one hand and bullcrap in the other.

So eh.

SMTxFE does need more spotlight though. Serious lack of info on that one.

I humbly disagree.(for some) Nomura's stuff is debatable I guess. His work looks like what he did in dissidia, so it looks very appealing.(if you like his style)

But the others look like standard simple character concepts for games or anime with more focus on the garb. For example, she looks really good in the splendid admiral one in game.

The nocturne ones are most likely designed by the art director since he draws people weird sometimes. Some versions of that one,including the main one look better than this sketch.

I've seen that last two in action. Again debatable on what is better, but the gap is not that big.

Finally, unrelated to you: Fuck watermarks!

dark_chris

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_6.jpg

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_5.jpg

LRFFXIII_Garbs_CA_3.jpg

Maybe it's because Lightning is correctly proportioned in the drawing (or at least more so than the in game model is), maybe it's that the more over the top look doesn't translate to the semi-realistic hybrid style they are going for, maybe it's because it just doesn't work with the rendering... I don't know. But seriously, holy shit does the concept art look much better in comparison to the in game counterpart.

In other news, I'll be trying the VIII steam version.

The concept art gives me Parasite Eve vibes for some reason.

CorvoSol

I actually kinda like that midnight mauve outfit. Even though the idea of Lightning in a froofy dress like that just doesn't mesh with the Lightning from FFXIII AKA the only not Seven Lightning I care to remember.

I humbly disagree.(for some) Nomura's stuff is debatable I guess. His work looks like what he did in dissidia, so it looks very appealing.(if you like his style)

But the others look like standard simple character concepts for games or anime with more focus on the garb. For example, she looks really good in the splendid admiral one in game.

The nocturne ones are most likely designed by the art director since he draws people weird sometimes. Some versions of that one,including the main one look better than this sketch.

I've seen that last two in action. Again debatable on what is better, but the gap is not that big.

Finally, unrelated to you: Fuck watermarks!

Maybe it's because Lightning just looks... off to me. Her body proportions seem really off (massive head, skinny neck, too narrow of shoulders, tooth pick arms, too long of legs), she doesn't seem to animate very fluidly at times, her walking cycle makes it look like she took a dump in her pants for some of the garbs (see: Dark Muse), and she looks rather... "plasticy". Really, a lot in LR just looks muddy as if we are seeing the game through a filter. This wasn't a problem in XIII or XIII-2. Heck, it's not even a problem for the Lightning Returns CG. It's just the in game model that looks so off. And not all garbs show this. It's strange.

And not all garbs show this. It's strange.

Yeah, they gave her a different body depending on the garb.

They not only increased her breast for some, but they reduced them(from her standard size) as well for some reason for others like the red mage one.

Also her legs look better in her GC uniform than in some of the others.

CorvoSol

Crazy shot in the dark here, but does anybody know if there's an etymological root for Maduin, or is his name just totally made up?

Crazy shot in the dark here, but does anybody know if there's an etymological root for Maduin, or is his name just totally made up?

Not really sure myself, but my guess is that the name is either based on the Gaelic word for dog/hound or the Arabic word for city. If I recall correctly, I think the Japanese pronunciation actually hits pretty close to pronunciation for the Arabic word.

Also gives a nice ring for Terra's parents since their names sound similar (Madeline/Maduin).

CorvoSol

I would ask how likely Japanese developers are to know a medieval Irish legend, but hey, if they know enough about Brazilian soccer to name Samus, then I guess Irish legend isn't that far off.

About Final Fantasy XI...

I'm not sure if you guys heard, but the game received an update today. Basically there's a new Trust system where you can make a party with NPC replicas of famous NPCs.

They also added a new quest system (for solo/lowman), increased movement speed and fast-travel options.

All of this contributes to solo/low-man content. The point I'm trying to get is...do you guys think once the servers go down...SE will let FFXI live as a solo game (by letting you set up your own server or releasing a modified FFXI).

It worries me than in the future, maybe 10-20 years...this game will no longer be playable by any (official) means. It would be a disrespect to the series' legacy!

What do you guys think will eventually happen to the MMO entries?

Noi

I would ask how likely Japanese developers are to know a medieval Irish legend, but hey, if they know enough about Brazilian soccer to name Samus, then I guess Irish legend isn't that far off.

Fate Stay/Night alone would love to have a word with you.

Ultratech

Japanese devs love obscure international references.

The SMT games are chock full of often obscure mythological creatures/monsters/people from all over.

I know when I was messing around putting together a gear list for Soma Bringer, I was surprised at the really obscure references in some of the ancient weapon/armor names.

Seeing that LR artwork makes me wonder why Square hasn't tried more of an anime-esque style for FF, ala kingdom hearts (ignoring that they've only made 2 mainline titles in a decade). Looks so much better than the awful pseudo-realistic anime designs that exist in XIII. The Nomura art looks great, but then you get to the actual character models...

Makes the games age better too,as evidenced by KH 1.5.

CorvoSol

I'd like to see them explore other artistic styles. Such as pixel art.

I'd just like for them to rotate artists per game. This game for Yoshida, that game for Nomura, this game for Amano that game for that person I don't remember at all, a million more games for Yoshida because DEM THIGHS

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy, even before Sakaguchi left, seemed to always be focused on being more cinematic to tell a story (and what he ultimately wanted to do and tried to achieve in The Spirits Within). The realism in terms of character design execution that mainline FF exhibits often is more characteristic of that. Realistic models doing unrealistic things in a cinematic context. I guess that would add to the gravity to the narrative trying to be conveyed. I guess the spinoffs allow them to depart away from that "norm".

What do you guys think of The Last Remnant?
Play it on PC. I wrote stuff here somewhere, but I do think it's perhaps the best game they released last gen (oh god i'm actually writing "last gen" in this context). Or one of the best games they released at that time.

Bravely Default is good so far, btw. Definitely the spiritual sequel to FF5 I'd wanted. Edit: Heck, it's rather exemplary of what I'd wanted from FF for the longest time. I've missed this kind of stuff so much. It's making me remember why exactly I fell for the series in the first place as a kid. And it doesn't take itself seriously sometimes, which I appreciate. It knows how to balance those elements, sorta.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is a Final Fantasy game that isn't called Final Fantasy really a Final Fantasy game? Industry analysts are baffled.

Pretty much. It's everything many have wanted in a FF. Having lots of customization and using the best battle system from FFV along with using that artstyle for the characters reminding me of the spritework from FF1-6.

Zhao_Yun

Pretty much. It's everything many have wanted in a FF. Having lots of customization and using the best battle system from FFV along with using that artstyle for the characters reminding me of the spritework from FF1-6.

Actually I would have been happier if they would have decided to not use a job system. Didn't like FFIII and FFV for that. Nevertheless I am looking forward to playing the game.

I can understand why fans of FFI-VI are hyping it as the "real" FF but even though FFVI was my favorite game in the series I wouldn't have wanted the series to reiterate those games over and over again.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Actually I would have been happier if they would have decided to not use a job system. Didn't like FFIII and FFV for that. Nevertheless I am looking forward to playing the game.

I can understand why fans of FFI-VI are hyping it as the "real" FF but even though FFVI was my favorite game in the series I wouldn't have wanted the series to reiterate those games over and over again.

It uses the old and puts a new spin on it with the Brave and Default system.

But if reiteration is not your thing you can wait another 7 years for XV.

Zhao_Yun

It uses the old and puts a new spin on it with the Brave and Default system.

But if reiteration is not your thing you can wait another 7 years for XV.

It does and it does it pretty well after having played the demo.

Why is it not possible to like BD and to look forward to XV? People shouldn't assume that one can only like one type of JRPGs.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It does and it does it pretty well after having played the demo.

Why is it not possible to like BD and to look forward to XV? People shouldn't assume that one can only like one type of JRPGs.

Oh you can look forward to both. I just don't expect to see XV for a long time. I really hope they add in a dev commentary feature in the game as well. I'd like to hear about the behind the scenes development stuff that happened regarding the project in it's entirety.

CorvoSol

Guys I saw some great FFV fan art the other day and now I want to play FFV again. Someone help me. I cannot start playing that for the umpteenth time right now. I still have stuff like SMT4 and ToA to beat.

Top Bottom