• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

aravuus

Not a particular fan of MMOs, especially when I rarely have friends to play them with but goddamn, there's something about FF XIV that's attracting me to it. I really wish there was a few-day long trial or something.

Radiant Historia is bretty damn good.

One of the few games with a rational protagonist.

Almost TOO rational.
Stocke was amazing. I loved how level-headed he was. Kind of wish Squall was more like him and less of a broody asshole with bad development.

Too bad there's so few JRPG protagonists like him. I didn't really feel the whole
Stocke x Raine
thing though; seemed kind of shoehorned.

Not a particular fan of MMOs, especially when I rarely have friends to play them with but goddamn, there's something about FF XIV that's attracting me to it. I really wish there was a few-day long trial or something.

When you buy it (There are still deals going on I believe), you get a free month trial to see how it is.

Wazzy

Banned
Oh god I'm seeing Lightning's everywhere. Either there's a cosplay thing going on or people really like her hair.

Stocke was amazing. I loved how level-headed he was. Kind of wish Squall was more like him and less of a broody asshole with bad development.

Squall's development was fine.

aravuus

When you buy it (There are still deals going on I believe), you get a free month trial to see how it is.

You do? Well that's good at least, since the game itself is fairly cheap. Maybe I'll get it around Christmas. I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed lol but goddamn, can't resist dat FF pull

As I said, I don't really have any MMO friends, so how possible is finishing XIV's main quest/story alone? Should I be prepared for dozens of hours of grinding?

Oh god I just beat Nier ending B.

My reaction to everything:
hqFSxYi.gif

You do? Well that's good at least, since the game itself is fairly cheap. Maybe I'll get it around Christmas. I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed lol but goddamn, can't resist dat FF pull

As I said, I don't really have any MMO friends, so how possible is finishing XIV's main quest/story alone? Should I be prepared for dozens of hours of grinding?

It's very solo friendly, if you join a Free Company, you should always have help with any dungeons you have to do. Those are the only spots really where you have to work with others. The only grinding you have to do is like really late like levels 45-50 but those aren't too bad.

aravuus

It's very solo friendly, if you join a Free Company, you should always have help with any dungeons you have to do. Those are the only spots really where you have to work with others. The only grinding you have to do is like really late like levels 45-50 but those aren't too bad.

That sounds really great, actually! Oh geez getting kinda excited about this, though I guess I should at least finish Bravely Default before making any other purchases. Think I'm gonna give FF XIV a try in a week or so though, hope it runs on my secondary pc too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Xenoblog: I've decided KOS-MOS is awesome as one of the only characters to put that dumb Shion twerp in her place. I've also decided that Xenosaga 1 suffers from not implementing a proper map. I got lost on the Woglinde and went in circles for an hour. >:/

Still I am immensely enjoying the game. Shion notwithstanding. Hate her guts.

CorvoSol

Xenoblog: I've decided KOS-MOS is awesome as one of the only characters to put that dumb Shion twerp in her place. I've also decided that Xenosaga 1 suffers from not implementing a proper map. I got lost on the Woglinde and went in circles for an hour. >:/

Still I am immensely enjoying the game. Shion notwithstanding. Hate her guts.

I think Shion gets dumber as the series goes on. I dunno, just what I heard.

Noi

I wonder how many one-time only time-sensitive whole-game spanning events in Xenosaga you've missed already.

That shit's dumb.

aravuus

I think Shion gets dumber as the series goes on. I dunno, just what I heard.

Dumber and more unbearable

e: and more annoying and irritating and insufferable

e2: and more stupid and game-ruining and mood-killing and joy-smashing

e3: jesus christ i hate her, everything about her and everything she does so goddamn much

I skipped most of the cutscenes in X3 to be honest, so I liked her judo throws.

>_>

But I do remember there was a part where she decides
to betray the party for some stupid reason. I was like "get outta here with that"

aravuus

But I do remember there was a part where she decides
to betray the party for some stupid reason. I was like "get outta here with that"

Yeah,
to go back to her old lover or something who is so clearly a massive fucking antagonist.

In addition to being an annoying bitch, that and
her accidentally summoning the gnosis as a whiny little kid or some shit like that made
me hate her so goddamn much it literally ruined the Xenosaga series' story for me. No joke.

The worst thing is, the games could have been like almost ten out of ten's for me if it wasn't for her. The other characters are fantastic, gameplay was great for the most part, story was incredibly interesting and it had a lot of cool twists and turns and shit.

CorvoSol

On a related note, in spite of the game's best efforts, I am still playing Dimensions. But good God, does this game ever stagger your progress. "Welcome to town! That'll be 70000 gil, please."

"Can't I just advance without buying new weapons and armor?"

"Bwahaha, no! You need those extra two defense points so that you don't spend all your MP casting cure on the first floor of the upcoming ten floor dungeon! I mean you're going to be attacked ever three steps, so better suit up!"

"Okay, what about if I just level up a bunch?"

"Haha, no, son. The mini-boss tier monsters out there reward about 2 EXP a kill. You need roughly 10 bazillion EXP to reach level 3!"

"So gil farming?"

"Did I mention they drop like maybe 100 gil a fight?"

Spend 10 hours doing this to get through the cave, on the other side is a town. Lather, rinse, repeat.

GAMERG0D

On a related note, in spite of the game's best efforts, I am still playing Dimensions. But good God, does this game ever stagger your progress. "Welcome to town! That'll be 70000 gil, please."

"Can't I just advance without buying new weapons and armor?"

"Bwahaha, no! You need those extra two defense points so that you don't spend all your MP casting cure on the first floor of the upcoming ten floor dungeon! I mean you're going to be attacked ever three steps, so better suit up!"

"Okay, what about if I just level up a bunch?"

"Haha, no, son. The mini-boss tier monsters out there reward about 2 EXP a kill. You need roughly 10 bazillion EXP to reach level 3!"

"So gil farming?"

"Did I mention they drop like maybe 100 gil a fight?"

Spend 10 hours doing this to get through the cave, on the other side is a town. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I've only fought the first boss and I've enjoyed the game so far. I don't mind grinding as long as it's not longer than 20 minutes.

CorvoSol

I've only fought the first boss and I've enjoyed the game so far. I don't mind grinding as long as it's not longer than 20 minutes.

See that's the problem there, though. Grinding for 20 minutes is not what you should expect going forward. Grinding for an hour is a generous estimate. The XP and gil drops are just bad.

I like Dimensions, but the pacing in the game is awful.

Red Mage

Corvo could play this instead of those silly 3DS RPGs. It's even way easier to find now after it got reprinted!

Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg

I've got that, but just don't feel compelled to finish it. Not very far in, but so far it's giving me bad Chrono Cross vibes.

CorvoSol

I've got that, but just don't feel compelled to finish it. Not very far in, but so far it's giving me bad Chrono Cross vibes.

Well for starters, aside from its terrible environmental preaching to you, Chrono Cross is okay.

Second of all, Radiant Historia's one failure is its time travel mechanic which only really becomes bad in the post-game.

But mostly it's not that bad.

Ultratech

Let's see...

-Skies of Arcadia is really good, and I definitely recommend it. (Seriously, go get it.)

-If you don't care for most DQs Corvo, I'd still say you should play DQV.
Easily my favorite DQ in the series and has one of the better stories.

-Infinite Space: I've contemplated actually playing this, but it seems like it'd be a lengthy timesink.
I was reading a really good LP on it about a year back before the dude lost all of his stuff and fell off the face of the earth.

-Mega Man Star Force: I tried to get into those games, but I just didn't care for them.
I just thought Battle Network was better.

-Sands of Destruction: We won't talk of this again. *glares*

-Radiant Historia: I really liked it. I don't think I messed with much of the post-game stuff, though I did do just about everything else in the game.

-If you decide to play some more foreign stuff (or translations) Corvo, SaGa 2 and Soma Bringer are pretty good. (Soma Bringer being a really good Diablo clone.)

Red Mage

Well for starters, aside from its terrible environmental preaching to you, Chrono Cross is okay.

Second of all, Radiant Historia's one failure is its time travel mechanic which only really becomes bad in the post-game.

But mostly it's not that bad.

• It has too many characters and too few techs.
  • Its story is far less focused than Chrono Trigger.
  • The story is butchered, ala Guile = Magus.
  • It actually contradicts CT since it depicts humans as ape-men prior to Lavos showing up.
  • The last battle is basically an annoying puzzle.

If you play Saga Frontier 2, use a guide. You can accidentally make the game unbeatable near the end if you don't.

CorvoSol

• It has too many characters and too few techs.
  • Its story is far less focused than Chrono Trigger.
  • The story is butchered, ala Guile = Magus.
  • It actually contradicts CT since it depicts humans as ape-men prior to Lavos showing up.
  • The last battle is basically an annoying puzzle.

If you play Saga Frontier 2, use a guide. You can accidentally make the game unbeatable near the end if you don't.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am right here with you on this one. The absurd suggestion that mankind is the enemy of the Planet in Chrono Cross is the game's greatest flaw from a story standpoint. The scene with the dwarves and fairies I'd keep because it's a pretty memorable case of injustice, but that shit about the Reptites being more in tune with the world than mankind and mankind being the evolutionary progeny of Lavos is nothing short of filthy lies, since we meet Ayla, she's perfectly human before the coming of Lavos, and most of all it was the Reptites with the technology burning the world up and the humans who lived in harmony with the world. What's most annoying is that except for Robo, the entire cast of Chrono Trigger was human (yes, Frog and Magus look different, but they're still originally human). The word "ape" used by Azala was just an epithet, since the reptites referred to Crono and company as apes, too.

I hate that shit, I really do, and I agree that the game does a terrible job of telling you that the whole thing is ultimately about finding and freeing Schala, who went missing last game, and that disc 2 is just this sudden whirlwind of nonsense and dragons dragons dragons.

HOWEVER, I don't think Cross was a bad game. The presentation was amazing and the battle system rocked. Much, if not most of the first disc was absolutely stellar. And while the idea to make 50 people the cast backfired to the detriment of characters like Guile (especially since the justification makes little sense, as most people will be rocking Serge, Glenn and somebody else by game's end), the "main" cast was still great, and the engine which made characters all adopt different idiosyncratic methods of speech was pretty nice.

Was Cross the greatest SE game of their golden PSX era? No, but I would still assert it was an entry worthy of that age. God only knows its still better than half the stuff they put out now.

Wazzy

Banned
Cross was a great game. Beautiful graphics, fun battle system and one of the best soundtracks to come from Square.

I wish it had been it's own seperate game since it will always be compared to Trigger.

Noi

I don't like Cross very much (outside of the soundtrack) but if I had to pick between more of that and more of SE's current output, I'd pick more like Cross any day. Cross actually felt like something experimental and unique to the genre.

Regarding CC, was I supposed to walk away from the game understanding why something along the lines of
"Project KID" was printed on the Fate machine?
CC always leaves me with the impression "wait, what happened?"

Yeah,
to go back to her old lover or something who is so clearly a massive fucking antagonist.

In addition to being an annoying bitch, that and
her accidentally summoning the gnosis as a whiny little kid or some shit like that made
me hate her so goddamn much it literally ruined the Xenosaga series' story for me. No joke.

The worst thing is, the games could have been like almost ten out of ten's for me if it wasn't for her. The other characters are fantastic, gameplay was great for the most part, story was incredibly interesting and it had a lot of cool twists and turns and shit.

Every time I replay Ep. I it leaves me with the impression that they changed their mind on the nature of Gnosis, U-DO, etc. later on and went with the
Shion summoned the Gnosis
thing for shock value.

I wish they didn't have the internal upheaval and went with
KOS-MOS vs. U-Do vs. the URTV
in Ep. II

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dumber and more unbearable

e: and more annoying and irritating and insufferable

e2: and more stupid and game-ruining and mood-killing and joy-smashing

e3: jesus christ i hate her, everything about her and everything she does so goddamn much

Worst character ever? Worst character ever.

Red Mage

I hate that shit, I really do, and I agree that the game does a terrible job of telling you that the whole thing is ultimately about finding and freeing Schala, who went missing last game, and that disc 2 is just this sudden whirlwind of nonsense and dragons dragons dragons.

HOWEVER, I don't think Cross was a bad game. The presentation was amazing and the battle system rocked. Much, if not most of the first disc was absolutely stellar. And while the idea to make 50 people the cast backfired to the detriment of characters like Guile (especially since the justification makes little sense, as most people will be rocking Serge, Glenn and somebody else by game's end), the "main" cast was still great, and the engine which made characters all adopt different idiosyncratic methods of speech was pretty nice.

Was Cross the greatest SE game of their golden PSX era? No, but I would still assert it was an entry worthy of that age. God only knows its still better than half the stuff they put out now.

Oh, I know. I still plan on playing it again after I get through more of my backlog (this time recruiting only those I have to/contribute to the story). I think what bugged me most is that you cannot experience the most interesting parts of the story in one playthrough (Razzie and Glenn). Most games this would not bug me, but I have two dimensions, why can't I choose Glenn in one world and Razzie in the other. That and you have no sense of closure for 99% of the cast. *shrug*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm also going to add to the notion that Shion's a shitty character and legitimately one of the worst characters I've ever come across.

Jesus Christ.

In other news, after some time mulling it over I think Nier is my favorite console RPG of last gen.

It's a great example of game being far greater than the sum of its parts.

CorvoSol

Oh, I know. I still plan on playing it again after I get through more of my backlog (this time recruiting only those I have to/contribute to the story). I think what bugged me most is that you cannot experience the most interesting parts of the story in one playthrough (Razzie and Glenn). Most games this would not bug me, but I have two dimensions, why can't I choose Glenn in one world and Razzie in the other. That and you have no sense of closure for 99% of the cast. *shrug*

If/when I get around to playing it next, I'm just going to get like, several characters. Probably Leene, Kid, Glenn, Guile and one or two others. A cast of 9 is really all I need.

I'm also going to add to the notion that Shion's a shitty character and legitimately one of the worst characters I've ever come across.

Jesus Christ.

No I hear he wasn't half bad in Xenosaga.

I drew the line at ending C.

I mean it's a good game but it ain't THAT good. I enjoyed it more for the experience then the gameplay and i refuse to grind.

That said what a great game. It's nice to hear a game use a good soundtrack perfectly after some recent FF titles.

CorvoSol

So here is my current backlog because you all care so much:

STEAM:

Sonic Generations, Half Minute Hero, KotoR II: The Sith Lords, Dust and Strike Suit Zero

PSP:
Persona 3 Portable
Super Robot Wars Z2.2
Super Robot Wars: Operation Extend
Super Robot Wars Alpha
Xenogears
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

GBA:
River City Ransom X
Pokemon Fire Red
MAYBE FF5

DS:
Pokemon Black 2
Hotel Dusk
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest 4
Order of Ecclesia
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Robot Wars W
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Radiant Historia
The DS Zeldas

3DS:
Shin Megami Never Gonna Beat this Game 4
Code of Boobs
Ace Attorney 5 DLC case
Animal Crossing NL
Kid Icarus Uprising
Tales of the Abyss
Pokemon X
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Project X-Zone (WHY DOES IT NEVER END?)
Fire Emblem Awakening Too Hard Mode
Ghost Recon
Dillon's Rolling Western

Virtual Console:
Oracle of Seasons
Link's Awakening
OG Zelda

Android:
Final Fantasy Dimensions
N64 Emulator:
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario

And someday maybe I'll run through FF1.

As you can see I have like a gagillion games to play and Christmas hasn't even happened yet. Also this doesn't even include consoles because I never have time for that.

So here is my current backlog because you all care so much:

STEAM:

Sonic Generations, Half Minute Hero, KotoR II: The Sith Lords, Dust and Strike Suit Zero

PSP:
Persona 3 Portable
Super Robot Wars Z2.2
Super Robot Wars: Operation Extend
Super Robot Wars Alpha
Xenogears
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

GBA:
River City Ransom X
Pokemon Fire Red
MAYBE FF5

DS:
Pokemon Black 2
Hotel Dusk
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest 4
Order of Ecclesia
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Robot Wars W
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Radiant Historia
The DS Zeldas

3DS:
Shin Megami Never Gonna Beat this Game 4
Code of Boobs
Ace Attorney 5 DLC case
Animal Crossing NL
Kid Icarus Uprising
Tales of the Abyss
Pokemon X
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Project X-Zone (WHY DOES IT NEVER END?)
Fire Emblem Awakening Too Hard Mode
Ghost Recon
Dillon's Rolling Western

Virtual Console:
Oracle of Seasons
Link's Awakening
OG Zelda

Android:
Final Fantasy Dimensions
N64 Emulator:
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario

And someday maybe I'll run through FF1.

As you can see I have like a gagillion games to play and Christmas hasn't even happened yet. Also this doesn't even include consoles because I never have time for that.

Careful with MM on an emulator. The clock is all messed on on them. I don't know if it's been fixed or not, so watch out.

I liked CC except for how the game just vomited extremely important plot information in the form of conversations before the final boss. And how the alternate ending you get if you don't save schala is one of the shittiest endings in gaming history.

A little related I tried playing xenogears and that game has aged so poorly to the point of being unplayable. It's a shame because the plot seems batshit crazy enough for me to love it.

CorvoSol

I liked CC except for how the game just vomited extremely important plot information in the form of conversations before the final boss. And how the alternate ending you get if you don't save schala is one of the shittiest endings in gaming history.

A little related I tried playing xenogears and that game has aged so poorly to the point of being unplayable. It's a shame because the plot seems batshit crazy enough for me to love it.

I really think that CC's 2nd disc was missing something important, given the rushed nature of the ending.

Xenogears I would play more of but I'm stuck in this stupid city and it is really boring.

I bought Xenogears and played it for awhile but I got bored when you get to that desert area.

I think the only reason I really like that game is because Fei used nothing but kung fu as a weapon and the giant robots.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't like Xenogears much. Platforming was garbage. Especially when you can get into a battle mid-jump, which could possibly be to your detriment post-battle. (Tower of Babel, I'm looking at you.) I feel like I'd like it more if I had played it in its prime (ie: played it before I was in high school so I could ignore how poorly-implemented some of the allegorical elements were in the game). Second disc's semi-passive experience and all.

Like I keep saying, Xenoblade is probably the best Xeno-prefix game they made.

CorvoSol

Agreed.

The only thing Xenoblade lacked was being able to drive giant robots.

And lo and behold X had answered my cries.

Yeah if I could've piloted giant robuts in Xenoblade the game would've been damn near perfect.

Xenogears isn't all bad, but gosh this prison city Colosseum arc is boooooring.

I only made it to part when you first meet Bart and fall into some underground place. I was lost, had no idea how to actually recover HP for my gears, and was tired of fighting all the obnoxious random battles. When I realized there would be another 40+ hours of stuff like this I decided to call it quits.

Read the plot summary online afterwards and it was some crazy stuff. Seemed pretty cool though, makes me wish I could have actually gotten past the archaic mechanics to keep playing.

Top Bottom