• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

aravuus

You could have watched/read a let's play of it or something. The story was fucking awesome, shame the gameplay is what it is.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Agreed.

The only thing Xenoblade lacked was being able to drive giant robots.

And lo and behold X had answered my cries.

Yeah I was hoping Square would make a Qator Bashtar Magitek Armor game. But with MonolithSoft they don't have to.

Now if my character can be hotblooded and yell a lot and I can name my "doll" the Dynamic General Guardian or DyGenGuar I'll be super pleased.

I know we can already wield colossal mech swords so we should be good to go for awesome mecha battles.

Even if I prefer battle axes. And characters who surpass the age of 27.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Am I a bad FF fan for enjoying FF: ATB?

At least the localization is funny.

Gamerloid

Hey Final Fantasy Community! What's the general consensus on Final Fantasy V? It's one of the few I haven't beaten, and I'm wondering if I should put that higher on the list of games I need to beat.

DS:
Pokemon Black 2
Hotel Dusk
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest 4
Order of Ecclesia
Bowser's Inside Story
Super Robot Wars W
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Radiant Historia
The DS Zeldas
Highlighted TWEWY and Hotel Dusk because those two are my favorite DS games. Heck, some of my favorite games of all time to be honest. I wish Nintendo would've just purchased CING, because they gave me the detective game I always wanted. Got to import Last Window since it'll never see release in the US.

CorvoSol

Am I a bad FF fan for enjoying FF: ATB?

At least the localization is funny.

You're a bad person if you spend money on it. Enjoying the spritework and localization is not a crime.

Hey Final Fantasy Community! What's the general consensus on Final Fantasy V? It's one of the few I haven't beaten, and I'm wondering if I should put that higher on the list of games I need to beat.

Highlighted TWEWY and Hotel Dusk because those two are my favorite DS games. Heck, some of my favorite games of all time to be honest. I wish Nintendo would've just purchased CING, because they gave me the detective game I always wanted. Got to import Last Window since it'll never see release in the US.

I love TWEWY. Hotel Dusk is sort of a rough start.

FFV is a classic. I, personally, love all three SNES era FFs to death, but I am comfortable recommending FFV to anyone because of the three it has the best gameplay. Just realize that FFV is THE comedy in the series. The entire game is meant to be goofier than pretty much any other FF before or after.

Also Bartz and Faris.

Yeah I was hoping Square would make a Qator Bashtar Magitek Armor game. But with MonolithSoft they don't have to.

Now if my character can be hotblooded and yell a lot and I can name my "doll" the Dynamic General Guardian or DyGenGuar I'll be super pleased.

I know we can already wield colossal mech swords so we should be good to go for awesome mecha battles.

Even if I prefer battle axes. And characters who surpass the age of 27.

I would like a mecha game starring Terra. Girl is perfectly set up for super robots. She powers up, is an ace mech pilot from the beginning of the game, has loads of traumatic experiences to fuel her mech. I think it could work.

aravuus

I've been interested in Hotel Dusk, it seems like a suitably light visual novel for these uni assignment filled times. Is it like a regular old mystery novel? What would you compare the story to?

CorvoSol

I've been interested in Hotel Dusk, it seems like a suitably light visual novel for these uni assignment filled times. Is it like a regular old mystery novel? What would you compare the story to?

I would compare the story to wandering around hallways listening to elevator music trying to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do because that's as far as I get every time.

Gamerloid

I love TWEWY. Hotel Dusk is sort of a rough start.
I let my cousin borrow the game and he can't get pass the beginning. Says it's too boring. The only way I can describe it is that it's just like a real novel. They usually all have a rough start. At least to me they do. It certainly gets a whole lot better once really start seeing how the story is progressing.

FFV is a classic. I, personally, love all three SNES era FFs to death, but I am comfortable recommending FFV to anyone because of the three it has the best gameplay. Just realize that FFV is THE comedy in the series. The entire game is meant to be goofier than pretty much any other FF before or after.

Also Bartz and Faris.
The best gameplay in the SNES era? It's the only one in the SNES era I haven't played, so that's pretty funny. Been missing out it seems. I knew about it being more goofier, but that's fine with me. It's good to see something different since most is of a serious tone, especially in that era.

I don't know why I keep putting this game off though.

Its certainly starts off like a real mystery novel. You start off meeting a whole bunch of people, doing basic stuff. It's like this for while, but like a good novel, it really picks up once the story finally can progress. CorvoSol is right though, you will be wandering around the hotel a lot in the beginning.

Wazzy

Banned

Play it. It's really good.

If I had to compare the story to anything then I would say it's like a mixture of Phoenix Wright and 999. It's obviously darker tone wise than PW but lighter than 999. You've got a cast of characters you know nothing about and don't know who to trust.

Oh and I still refuse to believe the main character has brown hair. It's fucking blonde.

Ultratech

I don't like Xenogears much. Platforming was garbage. Especially when you can get into a battle mid-jump, which could possibly be to your detriment post-battle. (Tower of Babel, I'm looking at you.)

Tower of Babel makes no sense when you think about it.
They could've flown up the fucking tower!

The best gameplay in the SNES era? It's the only one in the SNES era I haven't played, so that's pretty funny. Been missing out it seems. I knew about it being more goofier, but that's fine with me. It's good to see something different since most is of a serious tone, especially in that era.

I don't know why I keep putting this game off though.

Don't know if I'd say gameplay exactly. The Job System in V is pretty godly though, with how balanced it is and the fun combination of jobs and skills you can make.

Story's kinda silly though, but it works.

CorvoSol

Tower of Babel makes no sense when you think about it.
They could've flown up the fucking tower!

Don't know if I'd say gameplay exactly. The Job System in V is pretty godly though, with how balanced it is and the fun combination of jobs and skills you can make.

Story's kinda silly though, but it works.

The Job System is what I'm referring to. Between 4's "I won't have a growth system till the NDS" and 6's "This is a test run for the Materia system" 5's "I have the definitive Job System for the rest of ever" is the best.

Also Dancer Bartz.

Be warned though that FF5 does have one of the worst characters in the entire series.

Wazzy

Banned
The Job System is what I'm referring to. Between 4's "I won't have a growth system till the NDS" and 6's "This is a test run for the Materia system" 5's "I have the definitive Job System for the rest of ever" is the best.

Also Dancer Bartz.

Be warned though that FF5 does have one of the worst characters in the entire series.

Who?

aravuus

Oh my god, Hotel Dusk has the painfully slow text with no settings to change it! WHY would you ever do something like this just ugggghhhhhh

Wazzy

Banned
No, that's Faris.

Krile is the little girl.
Ohhhhhhhh
No that's stupid sexy Faris.

Krile is the Mary Sue whose head eclipses the sun.
Ohhhhhhhh

Wanna give me a summary of why she sucks? I haven't played V in forever.

Oh my god, Hotel Dusk has the painfully slow text with no settings to change it! WHY would you ever do something like this just ugggghhhhhh

You shut up and enjoy the game. :mad:

aravuus

I should give FF V another try some day, really came to like the job system in Bravely Default. DS is probably the "definitive" version?

I know the story is practically shit so gameplay needs to be goooooooooode

CorvoSol

Ohhhhhhhh

Ohhhhhhhh

Wanna give me a summary of why she sucks? I haven't played V in forever.

Basically Krile just doesn't have anything original going on and instead is dedicated to one upping all of your characters and everyone in the whole plot.

For instance: One of Faris' character traits is that she is very close to her pet, Syldra. They're so close that Faris can understand what Syldra is feeling. When Syldra
dies
, instead of having Faris
understand her dying message
, Krile uses psychic powers to interpret.

Lenna is a dragon girl. She loves dragons so much she couldn't save her mother by killing one. She puts her life in danger to save her dragon, and even
jumps off of a tower to commit suicide when her dragon dies
. HEY DID YOU KNOW THAT KRILE HAS A DRAGON, TOO? And GUESS WHO IS RIDING THE DRAGON IN THE END OF THE GAME?

Bartz is the son of a master swordsman who was personally trained by him and has years of experience in the field. He's even bested other master swordsmen. GUESS WHO BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF HIM?

Galuf and the other dudes
all crash their meteorites in pretty random spots. Galuf screws up so bad he winds up with temporary amnesia.
Meanwhile, Krile
lands her meteorite on a floating city, no problem.

Ex-Death is a master sorcerer with the conglomerated power of a thousand angry demons and a former God.
Krile knocks him out of King Tycoon with a level one spell.

By the way, Krile shouldn't even HAVE magic, but there it is.

Bartz is the goddamn main character. Who does the ending focus on? The girl whose head is larger than the Big Bridge.

I hate Krile so much
that I intentionally kill her off during the last battle so I can get the best ending.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't Krile supposed to be the first... Well, Yuffie/Selphie/Rikku/Vanille breed of people.

Wazzy

Banned
Based off Cor's summary, she ain't awesome enough to be Yuffie/Selphie/Rikku.

Does she threaten to just nuke shit to solve peoples problems or steal yo shit? nope.

I am! Or you know, playing it. Not sure about that enjoyment part just yet but it seems intriguing enough.
Gud gud.

It'll get better. Plus dat music and artstyle.

Plus sequel if you like it

Plus....yeah.

Okay she sounds pretty shitty.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Although just a theory from some MagiusNecros dude. It is said that although Krile gets away with a lot of things it is fact that GILGAMESH could beat her in a 1 on 1 fight. Even more concrete when GILGAMESH only wants a 1 on 1 fight with Bartz. Implying Krile is not worth his precious time. GILGAMESH doesn't even care bout Krile. It's all about Galuf with him.

CorvoSol

Although just a theory from some MagiusNecros dude. It is said that although Krile gets away with a lot of things it is fact that GILGAMESH could beat her in a 1 on 1 fight. Even more concrete when GILGAMESH only wants a 1 on 1 fight with Bartz. Implying Krile is not worth his precious time. GILGAMESH doesn't even care bout Krile. It's all about Galuf with him.

Which reminds me of problem number one with Krile: She takes the place of a vastly superior character.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Which reminds me of problem number one with Krile: She takes the place of a vastly superior character.

Galuf. The only man to defeat GILGAMESH in a 1 on 1 brawl.

The whole part with Galuf and Xezat is always one of my favorite sad moments in the game.

Galuf is the only one GILGAMESH ever felt sadness for. Very telling.

CorvoSol

Galuf pulled a
Tellah
with his bare hands. HIS BARE HANDS. Take that,
General Leo
and
Aerith Gainsborough.

ULTROS!

I wonder who's going to be FFXV's Yuffie/Selphie/Rikku/Vanille...

CorvoSol

I wonder who's going to be FFXV's Yuffie/Selphie/Rikku/Vanille...

They don't even have a female party member. Of all the things I am excited about for FFXV, its playable cast is not on the list. 5 dudes who all dress similarly = no thanks. At least Class Zero had girls and hilariously customized uniforms.

Top Bottom