• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

SERAH! I'LL SAVE OUR MARRIAGE!

Is it safe now? Okay I am now leaving you for years to put myself in mortal jeopardy and find your sister who I want to bang instead of you because she's actually hit puberty so I can marry you for real this time!

Oh I found your sister AND NOW I HAVE TO FIGHT HER TO PROVE I AM A MAN!

BEST ROMANCE STORY IN THE WHOLE SERIES

aravuus

Basically Krile just doesn't have anything original going on and instead is dedicated to one upping all of your characters and everyone in the whole plot.

For instance: One of Faris' character traits is that she is very close to her pet, Syldra. They're so close that Faris can understand what Syldra is feeling. When Syldra
dies
, instead of having Faris
understand her dying message
, Krile uses psychic powers to interpret.

Lenna is a dragon girl. She loves dragons so much she couldn't save her mother by killing one. She puts her life in danger to save her dragon, and even
jumps off of a tower to commit suicide when her dragon dies
. HEY DID YOU KNOW THAT KRILE HAS A DRAGON, TOO? And GUESS WHO IS RIDING THE DRAGON IN THE END OF THE GAME?

Bartz is the son of a master swordsman who was personally trained by him and has years of experience in the field. He's even bested other master swordsmen. GUESS WHO BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF HIM?

Galuf and the other dudes
all crash their meteorites in pretty random spots. Galuf screws up so bad he winds up with temporary amnesia.
Meanwhile, Krile
lands her meteorite on a floating city, no problem.

Ex-Death is a master sorcerer with the conglomerated power of a thousand angry demons and a former God.
Krile knocks him out of King Tycoon with a level one spell.

By the way, Krile shouldn't even HAVE magic, but there it is.

Bartz is the goddamn main character. Who does the ending focus on? The girl whose head is larger than the Big Bridge.

I hate Krile so much
that I intentionally kill her off during the last battle so I can get the best ending.

Oh fucking lol how did I miss this post

I think I need to play this game

I need my cheesy romance. Maybe you guys don't but I need it!

Well yeah, cheesy romances are great as sub-plots and if they're between likable characters, I have to admit I enjoy them quite a lot but the last time the romance was even remotely good in the series was in FF IX... I'm not expecting too much

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I liked FFX's romance. ;_;

Unless they want to add in the Fujoshi market into the FF fanbase.

IX was likeable atleast ç_ç
X was heart-warmingly cheesy.
Throughly fuck VIII, and thank god XII for not having one, though.

I'd lie to you. I'd lie to any of you if it got me some snacks or money.

Damnit, Corvo! I'm trying to save Tigger's soul! Once you fully start down the path of SerahxSnow love romances, there ain't no turnin' back!

*Hands bird seed under the table*

Let's try this again: Corvo, would you lie to poor, naive Tigger?

CorvoSol

Damnit, Corvo! I'm trying to save Tigger's soul! Once you fully start down the path of SerahxSnow love romances, there ain't no turnin' back!

*Hands bird seed under the table*

Let's try this again: Corvo, would you lie to poor, naive Tigger?

I would never lie to Tigger. No sir. Not unless I was paid to do so.

Red Mage

Be warned though that FF5 does have one of the worst characters in the entire series.

Gilgamesh isn't that bad...
(I kid, I kid)

You're really better off not considering Krile at all. Like any aspect of her character. I did that once and that is why I hate her forever.

If you think she's that bad, you should watch the OVA sequel to V... Moon Butt Beam!

They don't even have a female party member. Of all the things I am excited about for FFXV, its playable cast is not on the list. 5 dudes who all dress similarly = no thanks. At least Class Zero had girls and hilariously customized uniforms.

I'm sure there's going to be a female or two when it's all said and done. Stella and at least one more. Does Final Fantasy release all of their character information at one time?

CorvoSol

Gilgamesh isn't that bad...
(I kid, I kid)

If you think she's that bad, you should watch the OVA sequel to V... Moon Butt Beam!

I'm sure there's going to be a female or two when it's all said and done. Stella and at least one more. Does Final Fantasy release all of their character information at one time?

Man the OVA sequel to V was weird stuff. It permanently sank Bartz and Lenna, though so there's that.

I hope you're right about XV, cuz so far the PC is a sausage fest.

Locke x Celes wasn't cheesy... Might be the only romance I actually liked in FF.

Oh yes it was.

The only non cheesy romance FF has ever had was Balthier and Fran and that's because it was so subtle no one is exactly of sure of the nature of their relationship beyond the fact that they clearly care for each other.

CorvoSol

Didn't FF V have a full anime sequel... that really had nothing to do with FF V?

Pretty much. It stars Linaly, who is Bartz' descendant. She has blue hair so I bet that means she's also Faris'. Anyway, the plot revolves around an alien called Death Gynos stealing Cid Previa's brain from his grave and using it to gather crystals and gain power or something.

It was really weird.

Locke x Celes wasn't cheesy... Might be the only romance I actually liked in FF.

FFVIII had the worst love story.

Have you played FFXIII? Serah and Snow is the worst love story in the series.

Noel and Serah had more chemistry

Actually having screen time together that doesn't involve melodramatic overtures probably had something to do with it. Not having a buffoon declaring "YOUR HERO IS ON THE WAY", "SEEEEEEERRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHH!", "I refuse to believe what is right in front of my face cuz' Serah told me so" every 10 seconds for the opening 4 chapters also helped.

I mean, I get what they were going for with the whole "doomed star crossed lovers" thing, but goddamn was it not executed well.

Pretty much. It stars Linaly, who is Bartz' descendant. She has blue hair so I bet that means she's also Faris'. Anyway, the plot revolves around an alien called Death Gynos stealing Cid Previa's brain from his grave and using it to gather crystals and gain power or something.

It was really weird.

That seems to be a trend I'm seeing with FF sequels.

Snow and Serah sucked because the only interaction you see between them is them getting all angsty over her being a l'Cie. "They're getting married!" is a shitty cop-out for showing a romantic relationship between characters.

I'm a sucker for cheesy romance stories and I like to think most of the ones in FF are done pretty well. And we all know that Stella and Noctis will be a major plot point to make up for all the not-romance going on in XII and XIII.

CorvoSol

Yeah it's a decent game, just a terrible sequel.

All of my hatred for XIII-2 stems from that fact. The game's ending in particular is the source of my anger. As a story about a boy who went back in time to save the future and met a stupid bimbo along the way, though, it isn't as awful.

But that ending.

Honestly if FFXIII-2 had been its own game that had NOTHING to do with FFXIII, I would have very little negative to say about it.

Yes, but if that were the case the game would be so different it would be unrecognizable (different gameplay, different characters, different writers, different director, different composers, etc). So either we got XIII-2 as we got it or we got a radically different game. XIII-2 was a dookie blast, no way around it.

All the happiness was saved for LR and we know how that turned out.

Well some do.

I'm convinced that hearing it in my native tongue will make the ending at least somewhat better (that, or it could make it unbelievably worse, depending on the writing). That ending was just... I still don't have a word for it.

CorvoSol

Yes, but if that were the case the game would be so different it would be unrecognizable (different gameplay, different characters, different writers, different director, different composers, etc). So either we got XIII-2 as we got it or we got a radically different game. XIII-2 was a dookie blast, no way around it.

I'm totally fine with a radically different game. Oh, especially if it means a radically different writer.

I'm totally fine with a radically different game. Oh, especially if it means a radically different writer.

Hey, you'd get no complaints from me if they'd get a radically different script writer. But my point is: XIII-2 was the product of being XIII's sequel and having XIII's same team. So XIII-2 being decent if it was not related to XIII is impossible to say since you take those two things out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Late, but I dunno, man. For me, being in love with someone for years, then realizing that everything is complicated with respect to maintaining that love/finding someone endearing/realizing that -hey-, maybe things might not work out the way you want it to makes me feel like FF love stories just don't do it for me anymore.

That sort of love in FF is idealistic enough that I can no longer relate to it, or be enthralled by it any longer. Love and relationships can be far more difficult than any love story portrayed in video games as a medium. Thus I can't really help but to feel like there are maybe like 3-4 love stories in video games that I find kind of "okay".

(Maybe I'm projecting a bit, or maybe it's coming from the side of me that says, "I'm too old for this stuff". With that said, FF romances don't do it for me because my experiences with relationships are markedly different enough to feel as though the love portrayed in some games isn't as genuine as I'd like it to be.)

PS: Oh yeah, the Snow/Serah pairing suuuuuuuuuuucked. Worst basis for it, worst introduction of it, worst everything. That is not how to do in media res.

Honestly if FFXIII-2 had been its own game that had NOTHING to do with FFXIII, I would have very little negative to say about it.
You know that I felt like FF13-2 had more problems than that... so much so that I felt that the original game was, surprisingly enough despite its messy development phase, better-put-together than its sequel. More balanced, too.

Well that's kind of what happens when you have to have your fans tell you what kind of game they want to play.

Back in my day I never had to ask for games to let me move left and right.

You know that I felt like FF13-2 had more problems than that... so much so that I felt that the original game was, surprisingly enough despite its messy development phase, better-put-together than its sequel. More balanced, too.

Yeah, thinking about it, even if we managed to get a similar yet unrelated XIII-2 type game, the game would still be unbalanced; have numerous worthless game mechanics (I'm looking at you, Live Trigger); would still contain worthless joke endings (only one of the endings had any kind of substance to is); would still have a nerfed, overly easy battle system; areas spammed out the ass; etc. XIII-2 was just not what I would call a good game.

Well that's kind of what happens when you have to have your fans tell you what kind of game they want to play.

Back in my day I never had to ask for games to let me move left and right.

But that's the problem: Square doesn't know how to appropriately respond to criticism/feedback. XIII-2 has so many knee jerk design decisions it wasn't funny.

CorvoSol

Late, but I dunno, man. For me, being in love with someone for years, then realizing that everything is complicated with respect to maintaining that love/finding someone endearing/realizing that -hey-, maybe things might not work out the way you want it to makes me feel like FF love stories just don't do it for me anymore.

That sort of love in FF is idealistic enough that I can no longer relate to it, or be enthralled by it any longer. Love and relationships can be far more difficult than any love story portrayed in video games as a medium. Thus I can't really help but to feel like there are maybe like 3-4 love stories in video games that I find kind of "okay".

(Maybe I'm projecting a bit, or maybe it's coming from the side of me that says, "I'm too old for this stuff". With that said, FF romances don't do it for me because my experiences with relationships are markedly different enough to feel as though the love portrayed in some games isn't as genuine as I'd like it to be.)

PS: Oh yeah, the Snow/Serah pairing suuuuuuuuuuucked. Worst basis for it, worst introduction of it, worst everything. That is not how to do in media res.

See, as someone roughly your age, I find FF romance sort of dissatisfying for similar, but I suppose different reasons. Dissatisfying because it all falls into place easily, and without problems, and what problems are had are unrealistic and forced. For instance Squall and Rinoa doesn't cut it for me because Squall really doesn't do anything in that relationship until Rinoa is in a coma. Sure, that's great and it sounds romantic but it is no real ground to start a relationship. Locke and Celes, while perhaps better, is problematic because it's just as easy and the only snag they encounter, that nonsense about Celes betraying them, makes no sense.

Why don't these couples ever argue? Why is it always so easy for these people? Like I'll give FF4 a pass in that so much of the game is cookie cut and fairy tale that I assume the idea is that Cecil and Rosa really are meant to be a perfect couple, but if I were to be critical, Rosa doesn't contribute much to the relationship after the game's opening act.

I think this is why I like Zidane and Garnet most in the series. They're not perfectly written, but at least the trappings of actual human interaction are there.

The only "romance" in FF that is really up to snuff is Delita and Ovelia, because we see it for what it really is: an empty and unhappy relationship that is wholly one-sided.

That said, jaded as I am, I'm still a sap for a happy ending. Skyward Sword has Zelda flat out admit she's been manipulating Link the whole game but I'll be danged if I don't find that and Spirit Tracks' love stories endearing.

You both pretty much nailed why I don't like the romance in FF.

Shit feels fake man.

That's why even though it sounded like a joke I was serious about the developing the romance over multiple sequels thing.

Make'em earn it. Make us want it. Don't make it happen just because "we are the two most attractive people in the game we have to bone". I want genuine human interaction. Which might be a bit much to ask fro an RPG developed in Japan but goddammit these are my terms.

Just finished FXIII the other day. I was going to make a LTTP thread, but I think there's one every other week so mine wouldn't say anything fresh - except maybe that I really enjoyed the game a lot.

It was just over 75 hours on the in-game clock, but I did a lot grinding and many of the C'ieth missions (into the mid-50s) before the final boss.

I was all ready and fired up to complete the rest of the missions post-game, but it's really started to feel like a slog. I got pissed off with the giant Cactus mission, all the youtube videos seem dependent on luck (instant stagger) or using some maxed out multiple accessories.

A lot of the criticisms I've read about FXIII are valid but I can't say I share them all. I liked the battle system (but wished it had been deeper and more like FFXII), I liked the characters (honestly!) and the story (honestly!). The one thing that has really annoyed me post-game is switching party members and then having to set up paradigms and switch out items - from the giant list of accessories. The menu management in this game is horrible and really off-putting to trying out different gear and teams.

I wish there had been some sort of paradigm team saves, where you could save say half a dozen set ups that you just load up.

Ni No Kuni and Bravely Default are next for me, but I have FFXIII-2 sitting sealed and I know a lot of people feel it improved on FFXIII, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

CorvoSol

You both pretty much nailed why I don't like the romance in FF.

Shit feels fake man.

That's why even though it sounded like a joke I was serious about the developing the romance over multiple sequels thing.

Make'em earn it. Make us want it. Don't make it happen just because "we are the two most attractive people in the game we have to bone". I want genuine human interaction. Which might be a bit much to ask fro an RPG developed in Japan but goddammit these are my terms.

If I had to name a game where I felt the romance was really earned, a JRPG that is (because otherwise I'd immediately say Spirit Tracks. Link had to master that impossible to play flute and a sword that constantly dragged him into lava to rescue the body he wanted to bone), I would probably go with Fire Emblem 7. It's a bit odd of a choice, I suppose, but do you have any idea how hard it is to set Lyndis and Eliwood up together?

Let me tell you how hard.

The game is hard-wired to make her marry Hector, and make Eliwood marry Ninian. If Eliwood and Lyn are gonna get hitched, you have to manage that crap like an actual relationship. They have to MAKE time for each other. They have to go away from the army and spend time together, even if they'd rather be in that brawl over there. They have to spend like, somewhere around 400 turns RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

POKEMON TAKE LESS EFFORT TO BONE THAN THAT.

Then, as I mentioned, you have to dispose of the romantic false leads. Eliwood has to deal with Hector, even though Hector is his bro and a nice guy. The rival doesn't always turn out to be scum-faced Seifer. He's your bro, and you have to get him out of there. Lyn's got it easier because Ninian turns out to be a real dragon, but Eliwood has to beat suitors with a stick to get at Lyn.

Also I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure that Eliwood makes some pretty dumb mistakes along the way and offends her. And if he spends too much time talking to other girls BOOM RELATIONSHIP RUINED. This isn't a harem drama here, pal! You step out on this girl she is gone. GONE.

But at the same time, Lyn's spent so much time with Eliwood that she's behind the races, so to speak, and getting into a new relationship ain't gonna be easy for her, either.

Meanwhile Fire Emblem Awakening you can bone the hottest women in your entire military force by throwing a javelin for them.

Ha, well the topic of romance is definitely way above me the ways you guys are discussing it, but I can agree with what you're all saying. Maybe the issue is that you're always going to end up in situations where the hero is destined to be with the heroine. There's no ambiguity or question of if they'll end up together, even from the beginning. The hero/heroine has some issue, the hero/heroine knows exactly what to say, and by the end of the game they're set up to be perfectly happy forever.

Maybe XV will be a little different, kind of hard to have an idealistic romance when the two leads are going to be trying to murder each other the entire time.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Great. Now you've got me imagining an FF VIII in which Squall and Rinoa spend most of their time arguing about who's going to do the dishes and take out the trash. Though, that's not really what you meant. Maybe that should have been the ending.

Wazzy

Banned
Great. Now you've got me imagining an FF VIII in which Squall and Rinoa spend most of their time arguing about who's going to do the dishes and take out the trash. Though, that's not really what you meant. Maybe that should have been the ending.
Eh, they argued quite bit in the original so *shrug*

I personally liked the way their romance was handled since while they had crushes on each other they weren't in love until around the end of disc 2. Obviously many disagree since VIII's romance is divided amongst fans.

I just can't take romances seriously in videogames enough to be bothered by them. In fact, I've just come to like them and not expect anything extremely well written. If there's some that happen to be, then it's all the better.

Top Bottom