• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

So much for limits and self imposition.

Your challenge sounds like no fun at all, and frankly boring. One of my favorite things in the game is the vast amount of tools available at my disposal. My not using certain skills and junctions is self imposition. Doesn't mean I need to go all out and nix 99% of the game's tools available for some crazy challenge.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Your challenge sounds like no fun at all, and frankly boring. One of my favorite things in the game is the vast amount of tools available at my disposal. My not using certain skills and junctions is self imposition. Doesn't mean I need to go all out and nix 99% of the game's tools available for some crazy challenge.

Well when you put it that way it isn't all that limiting.

Ultratech

Getting Orhilacalum (however you spell that) and adding it to Boots of Prowess and your weapon increased your damage significantly and made the rest of the game trivial. Costs lots of money but once you get them high enough...only the absolute final final secret boss can hurt you. This is for Star Ocean 3. Don't know about 4.

Yup. With crafting/refining (whatever the hell it was called), you could add a bunch of stuff to your gear and make it super strong.

Hell, you could strengthen armor to a point where most enemies couldn't even touch you, just doing no damage (if any).
It made doing some of the superbosses kinda funny when they're shooting lasers in your face and you don't even flinch.

You could kinda break SO1 by crafting awesome weapons from rare mats, but it was crazy difficult to get exactly what you wanted, since you often ended up with something else completely or junk.

sasuke_91

So, does that mean you only have to log in once for FF VIII?
But seriously, if people want to pirate their game they won't even have to try, because there's still the PS1-Version. Or why the DRM?

aravuus

Yeah why bother with dumb DRM like that, if your PC can run the steam versions, it can probably run the games on an emulator.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For VII, you have to be signed in to your Square account or you can't load or save the game. Same thing for VIII, though I've heard that after the initial log in, you can play normally (have to try that). It's just asinine.

It essentially wants you online eh? Sounds a bit like Xbox Live like with some games wanted you signed into your account or you couldn't play your stuff.

Xenoblog: At the last boss of Xenosaga 1. I think I need to grind and buff up my party a bit. Right after Albedo(who is legitimately challenging for me) I get thrown into the final boss battle. I think I lasted 10 minutes before I kicked the curb. Mostly due to some Dark Omen/Dark Prophet attack. Should probably work on getting Ether Down and Cataclysm.

The battle system is decent in this game. Does anyone have any explanation for how it changes in the next game so I know what's coming. Since everyone hates it?

Screw DRM, this is why I still have my physical copies. I also have digital copies on my PS3 but I don't have to be online to play those...I think.

CorvoSol

Home for winter break now, and while half my presents are buried in a room full of objects my parents are storing for lengthy reasons, my model of the ARX-8 included, my FF7 action figure box survived the pileup. Pictures will be posted in due course. I think the box was opened once upon a time as Aerith's staff is bent and Tifa's head isn't all the way on her neck (which sounds worse than it is, since the staff appears to be fairly easy to bend back and it's just a matter of pushing down on Tifa's head to get it in place.)

Nobody is riding that chocobo, though. It's torso is approximately the size of Barret's foot. Though in the name of fairness, Barret's foot is also wider than the Buster sword.

CorvoSol

As promised, here are some pictures of ye old FFVII action figure kit AKA me indulging 10 year old me:

8RFdoCP.jpg
MFh9tcK.jpg
4CwSDFB.jpg
BfM6Ulm.jpg
PE0hNCN.jpg
PE0hNCN.jpg
BnTohjc.jpg
CzoLdCk.jpg
kR172Mp.jpg
fjPp4ta.jpg
5EbCKVN.jpg

As a bonus, I also own FFVIII's Ultima Weapon:

And here is a couple of other FF swag bits I have lying around:

Haha, I used to have those FF7 figures...sold them off recently since I didn't care for the figures...I want some good Final Fantasy figures though...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What is that drink? Looks like a egg covered in red jelly. Or something.

Xenoblog: Xenosaga 2 actually isn't that baa- Well damn. I've come across the fuck you boss called Orgulla. >:I

Guess I can't just stock combo my way to victory. Grumble grumble.

Noi

What is that drink? Looks like a egg covered in red jelly. Or something.

Xenoblog: Xenosaga 2 actually isn't that baa- Well damn. I've come across the fuck you boss called Orgulla. >:I

Guess I can't just stock combo my way to victory. Grumble grumble.

If you're at all interested in doing bonus stuff in XS2, look up how to farm Awakenings from her before you beat her for (fake) money. It's tedious, but it's a way better option than the alternatives.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If you're at all interested in doing bonus stuff in XS2, look up how to farm Awakenings from her before you beat her for (fake) money. It's tedious, but it's a way better option than the alternatives.

The way my party is right now would require a ton of grinding to get the proper skills. And I would rather not do that. I have an idea on how to beat the boss, it will just require preparation. And I'd also not like to grind for hours and then take part in a 2 hour boss battle to steal 21 Awakening 2's.

Noi

Still a better alternative than having to farm the final boss for Awakenings. :V

(This is another reason why XS2 is bad.)

So what do people think of the FFX HD soundtrack? I'm not a fan of it but there are some tracks that sound nice on there. I'm sure in time it'll grow on me, but I still much prefer the original soundtrack, which I thankfully own.

sasuke_91

I hope I'll get used to the new soundtrack. I had a hard time playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 because of the new soundtrack, but after some time, I really enjoyed it.
I prefer the old battle-theme and that will most likely not change. I'll need some time to get used to the rest :p

By the way, the new soundtrack for Besaid Island is beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drw1dfxPaq0

aravuus

Well, since I have yet to play through X I don't really have any nostalgia to cloud my judgment. I think it sounds pretty awesome.

I don't think it's nostalgia, at least not for me. When a song is slightly modified and I hear it during a part I remember fondly and have seen tons of times, I feel something is off, which takes me away from the moment, but probably can't quite put my finger on it. When I realize it's the music, the moment has passed which obviously sours the experience. Even if the new song was better technically, and later on, in my own opinion too, it still won't feel right.

Haven't played KH1.5HD, and I'm not sure I will. The music plays an absolutely massive part in the KH experience for me, and I don't think I'd like an "enhanced" soundtrack. Same goes for FFX, although I didn't like the ost that much and it's not that big a deal. I can emulate the games in HD anyway if I wanted to.

e: i'm one of those people who couldn't live without music so i guess there's that

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't really like the FFX soundtrack much as I think it's a weaker overall product with weird samples in some places (especially the Uematsu tracks--but I haven't liked a lot of Uematsu's samples since FF8) and lots of repetition in loops, despite having distinct highs in terms of certain tracks, but I think the new arranged music works better in the context of an arrangement album than something applied in a game.

There's this odd disconnect between the music/music's pace/music's implementation to me, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. Like, I can say that it sounds good out of context because I can only listen to YouTube links, but now I'm trying to imagine it put into the game's setting and it just doesn't work for me because I'm remembering the game's pace and how the music fit to certain scenarios and I'm absolutely wondering, "Does this even fit now? Probably not, because the area/scene/battle pacing doesn't fit what this new arrangement is going for."

SE has this odd tendency to overdo some of their re-releases in terms of a graphical sense, musical sense, etc. I personally feel like some things are overarranged, but someone else I know feels like the music's underarranged. In that discussion, neither of us could put our fingers on exactly what's up with it since neither of us have heard it in the game's context (well, now I have... ehhhhh).

Like, when you think of a game's musical direction and musical design and approach to composition in a certain way, there are some factors that you do have to look into before making a call on how to arrange the theme. Final Fantasy IV DS's OST actually does a good job on trying to fit into the context of which it was arranged for outside of a few duds on the soundtrack, but that's likely because it took some nods from the Celtic Moon arrangement album, and because the game overall fits the Celtic music direction due to its setting, background, dialogue, etc. It's different, though, because that game was designed from the ground-up, so you did have the music direction constantly working with the scene/dungeon/battle direction.

When you think about it, Final Fantasy X's soundtrack was pretty ethereal and a little minimalist (with ambience and constant meandering being its strongest suits) in some spots, and for good reason: look at the game's general direction in many spots. There was always something 'simple' about it (right down to the dungeon design/some puzzle design, battle system, ability system, etc), but at the same time, everything about the game's art direction, design direction, and music direction lay the foundation for making the game try to be a little more complex than its gameplay/systems design. Really, the complexity of FFX lay within its ability to present a more cinematic scenario and trying hard to present a story within those confines while spicing it up with love triangles, ethics in terms of sacrificing one for many, a struggle between personal wants/needs and a desire to complete one's own duty, etc. FFX ain't my favourite game, but there are a lot of things I appreciate about it in terms of some of its design because it tried to do a lot with atmosphere to convey its scene direction--and the music had a major role in assisting with the design of the presentation as a whole. These things work together, even if the scenes are written and presented first. So far, I feel like everything is so segmented and I don't think they really understood what made some of the design in FFX cohesive to begin with.

So that's why I think it was overarranged, or mixed in a way that just doesn't feel right for its application in a video game. It just doesn't fit that well with the rest of the game in terms of an applied sense to me. Some of it actually runs contrary to what the game's design direction seemed to want to do.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Again, they're good in terms of an arrangement album and I like some of them better, especially the Uematsu tracks. But in relation to Final Fantasy X's general game design direction? Nah.

There's this odd disconnect between the music/music's pace/music's implementation to me, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. Like, I can say that it sounds good out of context because I can only listen to YouTube links, but now I'm trying to imagine it put into the game's setting and it just doesn't work for me because I'm remembering the game's pace and how the music fit to certain scenarios and I'm absolutely wondering, "Does this even fit now? Probably not, because the area/scene/battle pacing doesn't fit what this new arrangement is going for."

This is how I feel about all FFXIII games and their soundtracks.

I have to imagine its extremely difficult as a composer to suddenly have the ability to create a fully orchestrated soundtrack over a MIDI/highly compressed (whatever method was used) and not overarrange the music. There would be so many more options! Not that I think it's perfect, as the rearrangement of A Fleeting Dream and Enemy Attack sound strange to me. The remastered A Fleeting Dream lacks the heaviness of the original (though the sample doesn't quite reach when the percussion really kicks in) and Enemy Attack just sounds completely different.

However, on its own it sounds great, and since like I said I have yet to actually play FFX beyond the age of 10 I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Some of the reactions people have had seem rather hyperbolic but I suppose if my favorite OST was completely remixed I would be pretty pissed as well.

Also you don't need to worry about the KH 1.5 soundtrack. It's pretty much the exact same as the original with some extremely minor changes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. There are plenty of companies whose games have been re-released or have had themes arranged for new games with live instruments or with an orchestra and they don't really run into this mixing/overarranging problem.

Sega, Nintendo, and Falcom quickly come to mind, for example.

lol, my friend really dislikes that arrangement of Enemy Attack. I feel like the mixing in A Fleeting Dream is kind of weird and that's why certain instruments stand out more than others when they kind of shouldn't. The thing I liked about the original version was how nicely all of the synths blended in parallel to the scenes or areas in which it was used. Standing on its own, though, I thought it was one of the best themes on the soundtrack because of some use of synths generally used in the ambient themes. It was a nice 'coming together' of a lot of the atmospheric tracks on the soundtrack blending with the melodic stuff on there, too.

I never liked FFX's battle theme, anyway! I thought it was one of Uematsu's weaker battle themes in general. :V

However, on its own it sounds great, and since like I said I have yet to actually play FFX beyond the age of 10 I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
At the same time, maybe be a little less condescending?

KH 1.5 rearranged the soundtrack and it didn't get any complaints.

That's mainly because it didn't change anything except add live instruments and/or better quality samples to the tracks.

Top Bottom