• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

If that's the case, then SE gave us Bravely Default.

Yeah, sure, except I did specifically ask about Final Fantasy. I know they've been putting things on hand helds, I'm not stupid, but remember how this whole train of complaint began? With the very specific complaint that there was no Final Fantasy for 3DS or Vita. I'll grant that BD is more FF than XIII is at this point, but at the same time I'm gonna be a bitch and insist that Nintendo is the one who gave "us" BD and not SE, as long as "us" is a term defined as "anyone who doesn't live inside Japan."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And Nintendo had to publish it in other regions. Telling.
Which means you guys don't get the cloud saving stuff/website stuff that we do. :/

When I finished it I was a bit burned by certain design decisions, I thought I was going to like them more but they definitely dragged the game down for me.

At that time I also became extremely picky with the battle/growth system and started seeing things I didn't like too much like how the job level affected the battle performance. It didn't matter at the start of the game too much because the job levels were low but when I started mastering jobs it was really apparent. For example I switched a character between two jobs with similar intelligence and he started doing horrible magic damage. The worst thing about this is that the game is basically telling you to grind and you can't simply change to a new job when you want to try new strategies before a boss.

About the localization, I liked it even if there was a funny mistake in the Spanish version. Clue: It had to do with the name of a monster called Orthros.

In general my impressions are positive, the first half of the game was almost perfect, and the few things I disliked are easily fixable so I'm excited for the next entry in the series if it comes here.
Yeah, the first half of the game is great. Good lord, I'm in-deep into the second half and if I couldn't give Ni no Kuni or Time and Eternity a free pass for doing that, I certainly can't give this game a free pass for it, either. This second half is seriously starting to ruin the game for me, even if I love everything else about it. This stuff is easily fixable, and the balancing with respect to jobs is fixable too (because it's so easy to find classes/skills that are completely OP and just auto-battle your way through a dungeon at times), so I hope Bravely Second changes it up a lot.

And yeah, I'm starting to see that as I keep mastering jobs. I'm more melee-based, and even if the job has a similar strength, it really isn't best to switch jobs all at once.

Localization is great. Improves a lot of the stuff that I hear in the JP dialogue in the English text, but Agnes's English voice is pretty bad.

CorvoSol

BD demo out today. Can't decide if it means I forgive Square for their bullshit, or am further baffled by how a company makes this and shit like XIII-2 at the same time.

CorvoSol

You sound like a truly battered fan.

I'm not one of those crazies who blames the crap on myself yet. Then I'll be battered.

Keep your hype in check.

You really think someone as easily pleased as me is gonna be disappointed? I've heard the words "otaku pandering" tossed at this game once or twice, but as an anime thread regular, unless Agnes and Tiz turn out to be brother and sister or not brother and sister in spite of thinking they were while they are romancing each other I think I'll survive.

I mean I love Type-0 to bits and I didn't even understand that game's plot, so I think BD will work fine for me. Game looks like a really solid old school JRPG.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In the localization I don't really see a lot of the otaku pandering. And I think the character designs are fine.

In fact, in the context of that sidequest, stuff that's done makes sense to me.

My issue is really with the last half of the game and how it plays out.

CorvoSol

In the localization I don't really see a lot of the otaku pandering. And I think the character designs are fine.

In fact, in the context of that sidequest, stuff that's done makes sense to me.

My issue is really with the last half of the game and how it plays out.

Eh, FFXII's endgame petered out, too, but I still think it's great. Type-0's endgame is sorta wonked and I still love it. I'll probably be fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For what it's worth, the game ventures into darker territory than I'd expected it to, plot/subplot-wise (especially if you do the asterisk sidequests). :V

Jucksalbe

Banned
Really interested to see what's up with that second half of Bravely Default. I saw several people complaining about it now, makes it seem like there's some kind of bigger change.
Oh well, another 1.5 months to go. For now, I'm really enjoying that demo.

Arzehn

So is there a general consensus from Japanese players whether Lightning Returns is a good game? I never bothered with XIII-2 but I'll play it in preparation for LR, if LR a step up from the first 2 that is.

LuuKyK

So is there a general consensus from Japanese players whether Lightning Returns is a good game? I never bothered with XIII-2 but I'll play it in preparation for LR, if LR a step up from the first 2 that is.

I guess most people will tell you that XIII-2 is the best game in the trilogy. Its not set in stone though, its still a very divisive game.

aravuus

For what it's worth, the game ventures into darker territory than I'd expected it to, plot/subplot-wise (especially if you do the asterisk sidequests). :V

Just put it like this: if you're not enjoying the gameplay, you will literally hate the shit out of the latter half of the chapters. Almost guaranteed.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just put it like this: if you're not enjoying the gameplay, you will literally hate the shit out of the latter half of the chapters. Almost guaranteed.

Well I'll definitely enjoy it. And besides I think the reasoning behind it is clever. Even if I hope storywise Bravely Second chooses a different way to go about it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It was clever, I agree. Just not well executed.

Better then anything Toriyama wrote I'll bet. But honestly it was just the writer playing it safe. At the very least. The Jobmasters get some characterization regardless of how subtle or trival the changes in dialogue are.

aravuus

Better then anything Toriyama wrote I'll bet.

Can't really argue with that lol

Because due to story reasons you'll
be doing the exact same thing for 3 or 4 chapters, quite literally. The story goes absolutely nowhere at this part.
Thanks to the encounter rate setting and the fact that I had already reached level 99 with all my characters, I was able to run through the chapters in a couple of hours but it was still so godddddddamn dull.

I admit I'm a bit bitter about it, so it's possible I'm coming out harsher than intended. It's just that the twist had so much potential, they could have done so many crazy things with it. And then nothing happened.

aravuus

What kind of story makes you do that?

Only read if you're not going to play Bravely Default, or have absolutely no interest in the twist or the story in general as I'll just go ahead and spoil it all:
one with parallel worlds. The twist in BD is that when you've awakened the four crystals, a beam of light will emerge somewhere in the world and you need to get Airy there. She'll, uh, gather its power? Or something, to rid the world of darkness. Except that this doesn't happen, you just get thrown to an alternate dimension. There you'll need to awaken the crystals again. Then you repeat this a couple more times. Then, to everyone's shock (it was super obvious though), Airy turns out to be evil! Oh my. Then you kill her, and her master. That's it.

There were so many possibilities. And there was so much weirdness, like
why in the fuck are they doing this again and again? Are they idiots? I thought they knew Airy was evil - the old man practically told them that in the face. Why is obeying the bad guy the way to get the true ending, when there's so much stuff about making your own decisions? etc etc

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nope, I love the gameplay.

The later chapters are
complete bullshit padding in execution. There are so many other ways of doing this, but making the player do it in the way that they have to is obnoxious. If I knocked a few games for doing this already in 2013, I shouldn't let BD get a free pass because I like the job system and conveniences of the sequel's battle system.

Because due to story reasons you'll
be doing the exact same thing for 3 or 4 chapters, quite literally. The story goes absolutely nowhere at this part.
Thanks to the encounter rate setting and the fact that I had already reached level 99 with all my characters, I was able to run through the chapters in a couple of hours but it was still so godddddddamn dull.

I admit I'm a bit bitter about it, so it's possible I'm coming out harsher than intended. It's just that the twist had so much potential, they could have done so many crazy things with it. And then nothing happened.
Four chapters
. I've yet to write out my GotY list, so my motivation to play it is pretty much lost. I think I feel more bitter since I imported a Japanese 3DS and the Japanese version of For the Sequel to play it.

aravuus

Nope, I love the gameplay.

I meant that if you really like the gameplay, you may end up enjoying the latter half too (although probably not), but if you're playing for the story, you will hate it.

e: unless i misunderstood you lol

Four chapters
. I've yet to write out my GotY list, so my motivation to play it is pretty much lost. I think I feel more bitter since I imported a Japanese 3DS and the Japanese version of For the Sequel to play it.

Haha oh man, that's harsh. I can only imagine the disappointment

I always play RPG's for the story so this would turn me off big time. Shoot Star Ocean 3 turned me off enough that it took me months to go back to it.

Heropon

Four chapters

Pretty sad reading that but I understand it pretty well. It's good when I don't want a game to end because I enjoy it but it didn't happen this time thanks to the tedium of the second half. Talking about GOTY, that's just the opposite of what my number 1 choice made me feel, so BD goes lower in my list than I'd have liked.

Shoot Star Ocean 3 turned me off enough that it took me months to go back to it.

I thought the story was cool, but maybe I was too young when I played it so I was easily impressed.

aravuus

I always play RPG's for the story so this would turn me off big time. Shoot Star Ocean 3 turned me off enough that it took me months to go back to it.

Oh man, SO3. Considering the story was fine until it, the twist is probably the worst one I've ever seen in all of media, it really just ruined the whole game for me. Not even the very much hated Mass Effect 3 ending had that kind of effect on me. I've wanted to replay it for quite a while but just knowing what's coming is enough to turn me off lol

Wazzy

Banned
I guess most people will tell you that XIII-2 is the best game in the trilogy. Its not set in stone though, its still a very divisive game.
Really? I thought most people would say XIII.

I think it's wayyyyy better since I enjoyed a bigger cast and more variety.

Oh man, SO3. Considering the story was fine until it, the twist is probably the worst one I've ever seen in all of media, it really just ruined the whole game for me. Not even the very much hated Mass Effect 3 ending had that kind of effect on me. I've wanted to replay it for quite a while but just knowing what's coming is enough to turn me off lol

And what makes it worse is that it pretty much means the other stories in the earler SO games have little impact in the grand scheme of things considering the twist of SO3. That burned me even more, much more because SO2 is my absolute favorite RPG ever.

And what makes it worse is that it pretty much means the other stories in the earler SO games have little impact in the grand scheme of things considering the twist of SO3. That burned me even more, much more because SO2 is my absolute favorite RPG ever.

Eh I just pretend SO3 never happened.

SO2 is also one of my all time favorites.

aravuus

Eh I just pretend SO3 never happened.

SO2 is also one of my all time favorites.

I've pretty much taken this stance about it too. SO2 was fantastic but I don't believe there's any connection to SO3, so pretending it has nothing to do with SO3's bullshit twist is pretty easy.

CorvoSol

Really? I thought most people would say XIII.

I think it's wayyyyy better since I enjoyed a bigger cast and more variety.

If XIII-2 had severed all storyline ties with XIII it would've been the better game. Like if you took the words "Final Fantasy" out of the title and severed the ties between the two games, XIII-2 would've been better.

That said, XIII is the "better" of the two because it actually ends. It doesn't have Noel, but it does have Fang and a Lightning not yet ruined by age.

Hey so that BD thread on gaming side. Haha, WOW those guys are nuts.

aravuus

Yep. That'd be the one.

Yeah I decided to skip that thread altogether. Arguments about censorship usually turn completely black and white, where the other side is full of perverts and subhumans and the other is a bunch of.. Uh, "over-protective, narrow minded people who want to ban everything for being hurtful to children/elders/women/men/animals/anything else but don't realize they're actually making things worse".

We got a perfect word for the latter group in Finnish but it doesn't really translate well

What thread about censorship? Someone PM me!

it's constantly floating on the first page dood

CorvoSol

Yeah I decided to skip that thread altogether. Arguments about censorship usually turn completely black and white, where the other side is full of perverts and subhumans and the other is a bunch of.. Uh, "over-protective, narrow minded people who want to ban everything for being hurtful to children/elders/women/men/animals/anything else but don't realize they're actually making things worse".

We got a perfect word for the latter group in Finnish but it doesn't really translate well

The thing I saw boiled down to "Yoshida drew this fairy's face this way, but she has tits and an ass, HE MUST BE A PEDO AND SO ARE YOU FOR LIKING HIS ART."

And then "At one point a character dresses up to seduce a guy, but things get bad from there!" which was appended "Won't somebody think of the hormonal teenagers children!?"

Like FF7's Don Corneo never happened.

It isn't...I largely stick to subscribed topics nowadays, or just play games instead.

Community is best side.

Top Bottom