• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Like OT is any better. During the Summer you can set your watch to the anti-religion threads and moral outrage news stories.

OT isn't too bad as long as you know where to look and what to avoid (then again I've only been in OT for about a month now). Gaming side is to the point where I avoid 95% of the threads.

aravuus

The thing I saw boiled down to "Yoshida drew this fairy's face this way, but she has tits and an ass, HE MUST BE A PEDO AND SO ARE YOU FOR LIKING HIS ART."

And then "At one point a character dresses up to seduce a guy, but things get bad from there!" which was appended "Won't somebody think of the hormonal teenagers children!?"

Like FF7's Don Corneo never happened.

Not surprised. Censorship seems to be one of the topics where both sides absolutely refuse to try and understand the opposite point of view.

OT isn't too bad as long as you know where to look and what to avoid (then again I've only been in OT for about a month now). Gaming side is to the point where I avoid 95% of the threads.

Gaming side is really entertaining now (and has been for ~8 months) thanks to PS4 and Xbone. A bit hard to find anything actually worthwhile though, sure.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
OT used to be funnier and better a few years ago, imo. Plus all the better/more concentrated threads got moved to OT community anyway.

Gaming side hasn't been the same in 2+ years, which is a shame. I used to read it with rapt attention since late 2007 and now I just shake my head at multiple threads.

Gaming side is really entertaining now (and has been for ~8 months) thanks to PS4 and Xbone. A bit hard to find anything actually worthwhile though, sure.

For me, it was entertaining for a month or two. Almost a year in? I'm tired of the amount of dick sucking (let's call it what it is), confirmation bias, and just plain stupidity of it all.

CorvoSol

OT used to be funnier and better a few years ago, imo. Plus all the better/more concentrated threads got moved to OT community anyway.

Gaming side hasn't been the same in 2+ years, which is a shame. I used to read it with rapt attention since late 2007 and now I just shake my head at multiple threads.

OT's problem, if I may back-seat mod for just a second, is too many sensationalist thread titles. Even if a news story's official head line is that sensationalist, I feel like there are way too many, but it isn't just news stories. Sometimes you get loaded thread titles like "How do Christians justify being horrible child molesters?" and or "If you vote Republican you are for systemized genocide" or something. Never those exact titles, but I'm sure you get the point.

Gaming Side has too many dang list threads.

aravuus

For me, it was entertaining for a month or two. Almost a year in? I'm tired of the amount of dick sucking (let's call it what it is), confirmation bias, and just plain stupidity of it all.

I totally understand this, I fortunately just happen to be easily entertained when it comes to this stuff. I can see myself getting tired of it after another six months though, after which it just gets annoying as fuck

Sometimes you get loaded thread titles like "How do Christians justify being horrible child molesters?" and or "If you vote Republican you are for systemized genocide" or something. Never those exact titles, but I'm sure you get the point.

Good thing I haven't wasted a second here though

Wazzy

Banned
If XIII-2 had severed all storyline ties with XIII it would've been the better game. Like if you took the words "Final Fantasy" out of the title and severed the ties between the two games, XIII-2 would've been better.

That said, XIII is the "better" of the two because it actually ends. It doesn't have Noel, but it does have Fang and a Lightning not yet ruined by age.

Hey so that BD thread on gaming side. Haha, WOW those guys are nuts.
I guess that's fair. Ignoring the atrocious storyline, the gameplay was fun.

What's going on in the BD thread?

Who/what is Gaborn?
He was a member here who always posted really depressing stories but he was loved for it. He passed away a year ago I believe.

Ultratech

I miss Gaborn.

Bad (and/or Terrible) news just isn't the same without him. :(

Can't really comment much on OT, but while I was originally opposed to the creation of OT Community, I kinda like it now.

You are right about Gaming side though. The quality of threads has dropped significantly in the last year or two.

CorvoSol

I guess that's fair. Ignoring the atrocious storyline, the gameplay was fun.

What's going on in the BD thread?

He was a member here who always posted really depressing stories but he was loved for it. He passed away a year ago I believe.

Crazy people saying that Yoshida artwork encourages pedophilia.

Wazzy

Banned
Actually reading the thread, I don't really disagree with the posters supporting censorship.

It's wrong to say he encourages pedophilia but the chibi designs wearing costumes like that is kind of gross. That and, the changes aren't even that big of a deal. People get worked up over the dumbest shit.

CorvoSol

Actually reading the thread, I don't really disagree with the posters supporting censorship.

It's wrong to say he encourages pedophilia but the chibi designs wearing costumes like that is kind of gross. That and, the changes aren't even that big of a deal. People get worked up over the dumbest shit.

For the record I don't care about them altering the costumes. I don't really see the chibi designs being sexed up as gross because they have all the anatomical appeal of Fisher Price Little People. That said, I don't really mind the costume alterations at all. It's not like when NoA censored the Tharja fan service and somehow made it even racier.

You sure like misery...you need some new games

I got new games for Christmas. When I'm tired of being abused by Atlus I play SM3D World for kitty fun. Well, except tomorrow I am going back to school so that's that. Still, I got Sly 4 to keep me cheery, and P4Golden is like a gosh dang dream.

Plus BD is coming and Team DoomTrain gonna do what Squaredon't and give me translated Type-0.

I just like to be Oscar the grouch is all.

Wazzy

Banned
For the record I don't care about them altering the costumes. I don't really see the chibi designs being sexed up as gross because they have all the anatomical appeal of Fisher Price Little People. That said, I don't really mind the costume alterations at all. It's not like when NoA censored the Tharja fan service and somehow made it even racier.

That's fine and I wasn't speaking about you, just a general response to the thread. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I told you about how the SNES version of 4 adds unnecessary dialogue at the beginning, though. Corvo don't read what I write, confirmed.

I think the costume changes in BD are kinda better. *shrug* One's a sidequest outfit (that you get when you do another sidequest--and it's only an outfit, not a job), and the other's one of the Vampire job's outfits. I do like that they aged up the characters by three years. Not only does it make their dialogue more politically sound in some areas that do involve religion vs secularism and war tactics, but it also makes some events like the aforementioned sidequest make more sense in a western context.

Listened to more of the FFX HD remastered soundtrack, and the Nakano-arranged tracks are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than the Hamauzu-arranged tracks, it's not even funny. Dude stuck to the source material for the most part and just built upon it without overdoing it. That's the way it should be.

CorvoSol

I told you about how the SNES version of 4 adds unnecessary dialogue at the beginning, though. Corvo don't read what I write, confirmed.

I think the costume changes in BD are kinda better. *shrug* One's a sidequest outfit (that you get when you do another sidequest--and it's only an outfit, not a job), and the other's one of the Vampire job's outfits. I do like that they aged up the characters by three years. Not only does it make their dialogue more politically sound in some areas that do involve religion vs secularism and war tactics, but it also makes some events like the aforementioned sidequest make more sense in a western context.

Listened to more of the FFX HD remastered soundtrack, and the Nakano-arranged tracks are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than the Hamauzu-arranged tracks, it's not even funny. Dude stuck to the source material for the most part and just built upon it without overdoing it. That's the way it should be.

I've only perused the first bits of the article, but something the guy sort of avoids, I felt, is that the English version is much clearer about what the thing is that's bugging folks. Like the first part of the Japanese is the better "We're arriving in Baron, Cecil is upset." these concepts are more clearly expressed in the Japanese opening, but then it gets all vague about "that" which is something I fucking hate and is a sign that a translator doesn't give a fuck.

From my understanding "that" works in Japan because conversations are High Context. As in "You should just be able to understand what "that" means." but in English we're Low Context and so "that" is an incredibly vague thing to say.

"I guess the Captain feels the same way . . . ?" is a vague statement, and it isn't for another two lines we realize that they're referring to "Baron stealing Crystals." Whereas the entire concept is laid out in a fairly clear way in the third line in English "Why are we robbing Crystals from innocent people?" I suppose, though, you could argue that there is no segue from "Arriving in Baron" to "We're all miffed about nicking Crystals" in English while there is in Japanese.

As to the age up I'm all for it because I always feel that protagonists in FF games are too young for most stuff anyway. Probably why I shamefully prefer Big Link to Little.

Rinoa

From my understanding "that" works in Japan because conversations are High Context. As in "You should just be able to understand what "that" means." but in English we're Low Context and so "that" is an incredibly vague thing to say.

Dang, that's a perfect explanation for something I could never put to words before. Whenever people dump a pile of text on me to translate I keep asking for what the hell it's about, who is saying what and why before I can even get anywhere near started. I keep saying I need context but people don't get why. Things don't translate directly because so much is implied.

CorvoSol

Dang, that's a perfect explanation for something I could never put to words before. Whenever people dump a pile of text on me to translate I keep asking for what the hell it's about, who is saying what and why before I can even get anywhere near started. I keep saying I need context but people don't get why. Things don't translate directly because so much is implied.

At long last what I study in college has become of use to me to someone else.

But yeah, we learned a lot about how Japanese communication was indirect while American/English/German was direct, and how this caused a lot of problems between the two groups.

Rinoa

At long last what I study in college has become of use to me to someone else.

But yeah, we learned a lot about how Japanese communication was indirect while American/English/German was direct, and how this caused a lot of problems between the two groups.

Awesome, I never studied it, just osmosis.. so I could never explain this properly for AGES. Esp when someone sends me like an FF11/14 screenshot of a linkshell convo and I'm like "here are 30 questions before I tell you what is being said".

CorvoSol

Awesome, I never studied it, just osmosis.. so I could never explain this properly for AGES. Esp when someone sends me like an FF11/14 screenshot of a linkshell convo and I'm like "here are 30 questions before I tell you what is being said".

Ah. Well I study International Relations/Politics, and I had a class on Cultural Paradigms where this all came up. It's why it's hard to translate from one thing to another all the time anyway. Like, I speak American English and Brazilian Portuguese and while the languages are super close comparatively, my tutor this last semester was raking my ass over the coals constantly because unless you stop thinking in one language and think in another, you can't really escape having your message somewhat bungled by lingual/cultural concepts.

It was a fascinating class.

aravuus

I think I actually like the changed costumes better, but censorship is censorship and one of the things I oppose strongly. I'm just afraid the censoring will easily get harsher and harsher if we allow it just like that. It's a hard argument to take part of too, no matter what you say, you'll most likely just be branded a pedophile. It's pathetic, really.

Someday I'd like to know what goes down in the office when they decide to censor these though. Like, who do they think they are protecting? Who is supposed to be offended if a costume shows some bellybutton? I can understand banning violent games - I don't agree with it and I think the people who do this are massive fucking idiots, dismissing the real problem and just sweeping it under the rug - at least they genuinely think they're preventing school shootings and what not. I would probably hate living in Germany or Australia lol

Sometimes it feels like these decisions are made by the worst hypocrites I know, the kind of people who get offended for other people, blind to the implications of their actions. Just so they can feel better about themselves.

e: here i am, talking about censorship when i wasn't going to lol. it's a slow and boring morning, spare me!

Ah. Well I study International Relations/Politics, and I had a class on Cultural Paradigms where this all came up.

sometimes i wish i wasn't studying engineering, we only get very practical classes, even the non-obligatory ones. no simply interesting classes like this one here.

Because they're all on these :

1.jpg

Final Fantasy IV: Now for Blackberry and Motorola RAZR

The lack of females brings the chance of awful cheesy romance to zero.
Bring on the awfully cheesy bromance. It's time, Final Fantasy.
It's an old April Fools' joke

I just watched a subbed version of the ending of LR and other parts.

I thought context and seeing a clear English translation would help.
-

It didn't.

It made it worse.

And I know for a fact, from what we've heard of the English performances so far, it's gonna be even worse in the Dub.

Maybe if I gave a shit about the story I would be more okay with the ending, but after XIII-2... I just can't bring myself to honestly care about the story, plot, characters, or anything else. So seeing the ending in all it's "glory" in a language I can understand just made me shake my head and face palm the entire time.

They killed Bhuni with a soul beam made of hope. After giving a cringe worthy speech about hope. And then Lightning and co. superman through Bhuni, finishing him off.
I don't...

And it wouldn't be so bad if the dialogue was better. It's just bad dialogue stacked on poorly executed cliches and
fucking soul beams made of hope

Oh, and then... SURPRISE!
Turns out this was the creation myth for OUR world. Foreshadowing IN THE ACTUAL NARRATIVE BEFORE THE 11TH HOUR? What's that?

sasuke_91

I wanted to wait until the HD-Version comes out before reading where they would take the story with X-2.5/X-3 (which one ist, seriously), because I never finished X-2, but it seems like it's not even worth reading at all.
I hope it will stay the way it is and never become reality...

Seda

So I finished Final Fantasy V. I definitely can see why this game gets its fair share of praise. Job system puts more emphasis on your set up and preparation before battles and bosses. Customizing the party's equips, classes, and abilities and finding what is effective and was really engaging, and opens up the possibilities in how you approach things. There are probably lots of class-subclass-equipment combinations I haven't even considered. I didn't utilize magic as effectively as I could have, maybe; I mostly used physical classes with !spellblade when I needed elemental affinities.

And those similar systems set the game up well for challenges and replays, certainly. I played my first time through with no restrictions, but I'll certainly try out a restricted playthrough eventually, probably in the next 'Fiesta'.

Oh and Gilgamesh is sorta cool.

Noi

FF5 has more than one job that can break the game on its own. If you don't really experiment (which the Fiestas are great at), you won't find the 50+ ways you can steamroll the game with certain job combinations.

Who's that scrub that got bodied?

Some shmuck that accepted his letter of challenge and got wrecked for it.

Link1110

I got FFX remaster on PS3 and I'm considering getting it on Vita with cross save. How does that work? Is it by bluetooth or online? Do I need PS+?

I have the money in my account for PS+, but I'm waiting until I'm ready to start one of the free games so I don't waste time on it.

I got FFX remaster on PS3 and I'm considering getting it on Vita with cross save. How does that work? Is it by bluetooth or online? Do I need PS+?

I have the money in my account for PS+, but I'm waiting until I'm ready to start one of the free games so I don't waste time on it.

Is it out already!?

CorvoSol

Hey Magius I was over looking at the GBA TEMP FF T-0 topic and it sounds like the game is expected to be completed sometime in the next 5 or 6 weeks. Is that so or did I misunderstand those "weeks to complete" things?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hey Magius I was over looking at the GBA TEMP FF T-0 topic and it sounds like the game is expected to be completed sometime in the next 5 or 6 weeks. Is that so or did I misunderstand those "weeks to complete" things?

It's entirely based on weekly activity. They base it on if the same performance is achieved by the next week then that's how much longer it will take. For the main scenario file which contains a majority of the text. There is still some secondary text to go through and of course testing ingame to see if everything looks right.

On the subject of XIV, I may consider buyig one of the soundtracks if CotBB is on one of them. Otherwise I'll just save a few videos. I can't bring myself to buy an MMO just to experience maybe at most a half hour of GILGAMESH.

Xenoblog: I beat Xenosaga 2. Wasn't too bad once you go all SMT mode and just know weaknesses and use debuffs. On disc 2 of Xenosaga 3 now. It's very fun and easily the best out of all 3.

CorvoSol

It's entirely based on weekly activity. They base it on if the same performance is achieved by the next week then that's how much longer it will take. For the main scenario file which contains a majority of the text. There is still some secondary text to go through and of course testing ingame to see if everything looks right.

So come on, give us your very best ballpark. We won't hold you to it, but c'mooon. February? March? July?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So come on, give us your very best ballpark. We won't hold you to it, but c'mooon. February? March? July?

I'm hoping Summer 2014. I can't give you promises that I can't guarantee will be met. If we are lucky it could be sooner then that. I like being honest. Unlike Square, who keeps saying to get excited for something.

Top Bottom