• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I'm hoping Summer 2014. I can't give you promises that I can't guarantee will be met. If we are lucky it could be sooner then that. I like being honest. Unlike Square, who keeps saying to get excited for something.

I ain't lookin' for promises, just guesses. Like I said, I won't hold you to it. But Summer seems safe enough.

Hell yes!

ADMU2dK.jpg

Still among my favourite FF. The English translation is SO much better than the Spanish one; the materia system is very fun even though it's completely broken, and the story goofy but still good. To be honest there were a lot of things I missed in my first playthrough, I'm very happy I replayed it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I liked VII a lot more when the compilation was nonexistent. Which is why I prefer the original game. And yet it is still flawed with the lack of the true hero. GILGAMESH is his name. Though I suppose I shouldn't undermine the iteration with such levity. After all he later observes Cloud Strife in all his pettyness and forges his own Buster Sword by merely looking at it.

Or it could be argued he had inspected Zack's grave with the sword as a grave marker. Perhaps long after the deaths of the VII heroes minus Red XIII. Since it was meant as the marking of a grave GILGAMESH couldn't simply take it, therefore he took in the details of the blade as best as he could and forged it in likeness that suited him alone. However due to his size and the size of the blade it becomes nothing more then a regular blade lacking no edge. It will gain wear, tear and rust and eventually shatter under the Lorican's strength and further prove his quest for the ultimate sword is still not over. It is believed he himself deigned to designate this copy of the blade as a fake with a kanji depicting the blade as such perhaps out of respect for the warrior who last wielded the original blade. As GILGAMESH is honorable he holds fast to the virtue that upon defeat of his enemy he would not take their life if they were a humanoid being and bore intellect and was hence capable of basic speech, ergo, a form of mercy by taking their weapon instead of killing them. While a monstrous frenzied berserker and melee weaponmaster, our true hero of Final Fantasy is not without a warrior's honor.

Wazzy

Banned
VII was my first FF so I'll always have fond memories of it. I mean, It wasn't my first played FF, that was VIII, but I watched my older brother beat it and it was amazing to see.

I also loaded his save and beat the last boss and I was actually so proud of myself.

I was like 10 when 7 came out. I ate that game up.

I think I was...14...or 15 when I first played FF7. It was the first RPG I was exposed to and I played it on the PC back in 99 or 2000. I wasn't impressed with it somehow (Don't ask or I will kill you) but was much more enraptured with VI that my friend showed me. After that I played V...and then IV...and then IX...and the rest is history.

I beat VII and IX back in the summer 2011, played VIII but stopped at Ultimecia's castle because I thought it was terrible. Then last year I beat VI, VIII, XIII, and XIII-2. I also got to the final dungeon in IV DS but stopped because I was tired of dying.

Though I guess my first FF was X back when my parents first let me play T-rated games lol

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
My first was FF1 on the NES. Back when we had real gameplay. And mindless tedium. Using our imaginations to make things seem greater then they were was also a plus. Back then I remember we had to manage our manage through limited stocks of spells. This was in reference to committing magic spells to memory in vein of DnD where magic in the ancient language of magic itself needed to be recited and only so much could be remembered within a wizard's mind. The Black Wizard was also much more badass looking. Screw Warmech though.

Xenoblog: I have completed the entire Xenosaga series. It was an amazing ride. I was surprised at a few of the clear references to Xenogears which only made the experience that much better.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My first FF was Mystic Quest (the GB one) or if it doesn't count then Mystic Quest Legend or if that doesn't count either then FFVII. Basically, the first FF related games that were even released in Europe. I can't believe they waited so long.

CorvoSol

My first FF was Mystic Quest (the GB one) or if it doesn't count then Mystic Quest Legend or if that doesn't count either then FFVII. Basically, the first FF related games that were even released in Europe. I can't believe they waited so long.

I always forget that in Europe Land Final Fantasy Adventure was called Mystic Quest.

Oh, speaking of FF7, though, I saw that the FF7NES overhaul hack was finished so I have that. I'll let you guys know how it is if I can be bothered to stop playing Persona 4 the Godly for a minute to play a hack of a hack.

Wazzy

Banned
I always forget that in Europe Land Final Fantasy Adventure was called Mystic Quest.

Oh, speaking of FF7, though, I saw that the FF7NES overhaul hack was finished so I have that. I'll let you guys know how it is if I can be bothered to stop playing Persona 4 the Godly for a minute to play a hack of a hack.

Which one was this? I remember they're being like, three shown but never saw any of them finish.

CorvoSol

Which one was this? I remember they're being like, three shown but never saw any of them finish.

Uhm, I'm not sure of the name of the hack, haha. Honestly I just put it all together without looking and set it to the side. From what I know there's the bare English Translation, some middle ground, and this one which aims to make it actually play out like FF7.

CorvoSol

Isn't it a hack of FF2?

I'm not entirely sure which FF the Chinese company hacked to make into FF7. The original version is actually good enough to be its own game cobbled together from FF assets. I mean, it's balls hard without a few certain cheats, but the new hack overwrites a fair amount of what the Chinese company did cosmetically. FF7 rearranged songs are put in, areas and sprites are redesigned to look like FF7, and I think the game no longer skips from right after the Big Spoiler to the final battle. I played the old FF7 NES during the Anniversary, but I'm interested in seeing how this version works. Part of me is unsure, since part of the Chinese hack's charm was the weird look everything had, but we'll see.

CorvoSol

Speaking of which, the more I play Xenogears the less I think of it. God this game is possibly the worst RPG Square made for PS1.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speaking of which, the more I play Xenogears the less I think of it. God this game is possibly the worst RPG Square made for PS1.

Worst special move gaining system anyway. You need a guide for that crap. And without those you'll likely do crap damage in your mechs.

I remember loving Xenogears as a kid.

But upon attempting to replay it I was forced to come to terms that I just liked it for the giant robots and kung fu back then.

Heropon

I don't know if I could endure those flaws you all are talking about, they sound pretty bad. Meanwhile, I was really happy with Grandia, which I finished last Friday Saturday. The story had lots of charm and the battle system was great, but I already knew that as I had already played Grandia II before. Someone should copy the battle system so I can enjoy it again.

Grandia was great. Made me feel like a kid again. Back in the old age of cheesy 90s anime.

Surprisingly despite all of the characters being children none of them annoyed me. That's amazing.

Seda

I don't know if I could endure those flaws you all are talking about, they sound pretty bad. Meanwhile, I was really happy with Grandia, which I finished last Friday. The story had lots of charm and the battle system was great, but I already knew that as I had already played Grandia II before. Someone should copy the battle system so I can enjoy it again.

I played all the Grandia (well, 1-2-3) games in 2013, although I had to endure the PS2 version of Grandia 2.

I feel like the games have held up pretty well, outside of the voice acting and inventory limit restrictions in the first Grandia. Grandia 3's battle system especially was exceptional.

Child of Light's (Ubisoft's 'JRPG') seems to have a battle system somewhat resembling Grandia.

Heropon

Grandia was great. Made me feel like a kid again. Back in the old age of cheesy 90s anime.

Surprisingly despite all of the characters being children none of them annoyed me. That's amazing.

Ah, yeah, the characters were too young. It annoyed me a little how a eight year old girl could go on adventures in uncharted territory but as she wasn't a whiny brat I didn't care too much.

I played all the Grandia (well, 1-2-3) games in 2013, although I had to endure the PS2 version of Grandia 2.

I feel like the games have held up pretty well, outside of the voice acting and inventory limit restrictions in the first Grandia. Grandia 3's battle system especially was exceptional.

Child of Light's (Ubisoft's 'JRPG') seems to have a battle system somewhat resembling Grandia.

The Grandia II version I have is the PC one, they were selling everywhere here for pretty cheap and that was my first Grandia experience. Loved the battle system and using the skill book abilities to break the (somewhat low) difficulty of the game.

About Child of Light I have to look about it then.

CorvoSol

I remember loving Xenogears as a kid.

But upon attempting to replay it I was forced to come to terms that I just liked it for the giant robots and kung fu back then.

I think if I were younger and not spoiled on good gameplay or something I would like it more for the giant robots and kung fu. Meanwhile this game has such awful pacing. Man, there's a world of difference between Gears and Blade.

aravuus

Xenogears has an incredibly awesome story (although I've never seen it to the very end due to the second disc lol), but as a game it's just bad. Not enjoyable in any way.

e: i was going to say "at least it has jumping, most jrpgs don't" but then i remembered the ways it's used and how it actually made the game that much worse

CorvoSol

Xenogears has an incredibly awesome story (although I've never seen it to the very end due to the second disc lol), but as a game it's just bad. Not enjoyable in any way.

e: i was going to say "at least it has jumping, most jrpgs don't" but then i remembered the ways it's used and how it actually made the game that much worse

My problem isn't Gears story so much as the way that story is told. As in Xenogears was only ever translated and never ever localized. So much of what is said makes no fucking sense.

aravuus

My problem isn't Gears story so much as the way that story is told. As in Xenogears was only ever translated and never ever localized. So much of what is said makes no fucking sense.

Yeah no denying that. With big enough budget (or no budget cuts, whatever) and a proper translator team, it could have been soo much better. Still, I enjoyed the story a LOT.

I really have to read a let's play or something if I want to experience it again, can't bring myself to actually play the game.

CorvoSol

Yeah no denying that. With big enough budget (or no budget cuts, whatever) and a proper translator team, it could have been soo much better. Still, I enjoyed the story a LOT.

I really have to read a let's play or something if I want to experience it again, can't bring myself to actually play the game.

If I were to criticize the game's story it's that it is very, very cliche so far. On the other hand, I feel almost as if when Xenogears came out the cliches that made it up weren't that cliche yet.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm so salty about AWEme's next weapon.

They finally do a second Final Fantasy weapon and it's....another fucking VII sword.

CorvoSol

So a brief look at Final Fantasy VII NES Hack reveals the following changes have been made:

-Inclusion of FF7 tracks in 8 Bit Arrangement. FFVII NES C had made use solely of old FF2 tracks.

-Redone field maps. FF7 NES had done a fairly decent job of making the map look unique, including making trains and stuff, but FF7 NES H has done a fair amount to reproduce the actual game's maps. So the train stop looks a fair amount like a top down, 8bit reproduction of the area.

-Redone character and enemy sprites. FF7 NES had edited sprites for the cast already (Cloud and Tifa were edits of Firion and Maria, but Barret and Red XIII looked fairly unique, for instance.) The cast has been altered to look more like their FF7 selves, though I feel there's a certain loss of charm here, since the Chinese sprites were quirky, whereas these ones are just demade FF7 sprites. FF7 C made use of recycled enemies, leading to hilarious moments like Sephiroth sprouting boobs and Reno donning platemail, but this is a bit more forgiveable since the sprites were really haphazard anyway.

-Rescaled difficulty. In C you could expect to deal 4 HP per turn the entire game to enemies with thousands of HP. In H Cloud actually does damage and so the odds are stacked in the player's favor. Stacking the odds in the player's favor may sound like the game is dumb and easy, but the truth is that nobody wants to spend half an hour in a random battle and that "difficulty" created by stacking odds in the enemy's favor (which includes leveling the playing field) can be just as cheap and dumb.

Of further note is that I think Magius is right, and the game is in fact a hacked version of FF2, since Materia and weapons gain EXP by usage. That said leveling Materia up grants the use of different abilities, which was not in FF2.

Wazzy

Banned
Whatever is right. Such a boring ass choice.

And here I am still waiting for him to do Squall's Gunblade.

Cor: Thanks for the updates. I hope to see some videos of what it looks like soon.

Speaking of FF2...I tried to replay it once...I think I got out of the first town before I started to hate myself and never went back to it.

Top Bottom