• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
So Tony did Sephiroth's sword and it was as boring as I expected. Now hopefully he'll do the Gunblade since more and more people are requesting it.

I probably wouldn't have minded him doing Sephiroth's sword if he had already done other unique options from other Final Fantasy's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Corvo, you played Type-0 multiple times despite that. :V

Also, if you had a Japanese PSN account, there was a free PS+ 15-day trial, and you could have played a full game trial of Lightning Returns (1 hour) since it was still up at the time of the free PS+ deal (no idea if it's still up now).

LR, ToS, and ToS2 are getting taken off of the full game trial list today, though, since they were last month's games, apparently.

Sen no Kiseki is the one with the kids in the school uniforms that ride horses and fight monsters right?(That sounds so stupid but it was all I could glean from the screens I saw)

When was that supposed to come out?

They're holding a monthly Let's Play Final Fantasy @Reddit (1 FF per month, starting with I). I recently made a post about my Final Fantasy I on PSP experience. I'm too lazy to reformat the post for GAF but I will share the link HERE.

I'll only copy one question out of it.

2. Do you guys think the statues on the King's room (Cornelia) are chocobos?
6bWnYJR.jpg

CorvoSol

They're holding a monthly Let's Play Final Fantasy @Reddit (1 FF per month, starting with I). I recently made a post about my Final Fantasy I on PSP experience. I'm too lazy to reformat the post for GAF but I will share the link HERE.

I think they are, I just don't think they always were.

5th? I'm on like my 50th.

Well I own other vidja games.

Wazzy

Banned
I was just re watching VIII's ending(because it's amazing) and I only just noticed Angelo sitting and watching Rinoa just before the camera runs out of battery. I always saw her running around but I never was able to spot her when Rinoa is outside.

Yes. They've got bird legs and beaks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I miss GAF's FF LP thread. That was super-fun at the time. :/

If I had to LP something again, I'd love to do something I like as opposed to something I... kinda don't like, lol. I was streaming FF7 for a while and then I stopped since I didn't have time. I think the game I would've loved to have LP'd at the time was FF8 because it's really easy to poke-fun at it.

Blind LPing FFD would be neat but lordy I hate that D-pad so much.

Sen no Kiseki is the one with the kids in the school uniforms that ride horses and fight monsters right?(That sounds so stupid but it was all I could glean from the screens I saw)

When was that supposed to come out?
It came out last September, and I went through it already, lol. It's a good game, good callbacks to 3rd in one part. It's interesting for me because I haven't played Ao yet and there seems to be a lot of callbacks to it. Some of the characterization is kind of iffy, though (ie: tsundere characters for some reason, one scene at the beginning that was really anime, "resistance is futile!!", etc).

Is Pandora's Tower any good? I heard it was kinda a RPG but more a Castlevania Zelda game. Thoughts?
Eh. I'll warn that there's a game-breaking bug at the end. I feel like the game is an acquired taste. Combat isn't so hot and it can be pretty repetitive. If you're interested in the mk2 reviews for it, you can certainly see it here. I feel like it's at least one of the more creative of the OpRa games, anyway. It just gets compared a lot to TLS/XB that those games typically overshadow it. The master battles at the end of each tower is SotC-esque, so if you're into that, you might enjoy it. It takes some stuff from RE, too, in terms of the fixed camera angles.

Nothing wrong with trying anything, though. You might like it. If not, don't worry about it, because again, the gameplay is truly an acquired taste.

Alright. It's highly plausible since they retconned some FF elements in the remakes, such as Cid, who is mentioned by the Lufenians.
Cid wasn't a recurring character in the series until Final Fantasy II, so they obviously went back and inserted some elements that were later introduced to the series for more familiarity, especially for those who are playing these games for the first time on the GBA/PS1 (especially on the PS1 since a lot of people started with the series then, hence the re-releases at the time!)/Wonderswan/PSP.

CorvoSol

So do I. So have you finished SMT4 yet?

Yes. I got the Neutral Ending. Game's ending was NES Tier. Nozomi the photographer was waifu of the game. Laura Bailey FTW.

Really underwhelmed with the end of that game.

I miss GAF's FF LP thread. That was super-fun at the time. :/

If I had to LP something again, I'd love to do something I like as opposed to something I... kinda don't like, lol. I was streaming FF7 for a while and then I stopped since I didn't have time. I think the game I would've loved to have LP'd at the time was FF8 because it's really easy to poke-fun at it.

Blind LPing FFD would be neat but lordy I hate that D-pad so much.

If you LPd FFD I might actually continue it, hahaha. Gosh that game. I'm in the Dancer Chapter and I dunno, it's something about 1) having to play on a phone and 2) the game's terrible staggering that prevents me from finishing it. The game would be SO MUCH EASIER if money, items and equipment were shared between parties. But having to grind four hours to buy Cura TWICE is the definition of tedium.

Haven't actually been playing much FF lately. I have the Bravely Default Demo that I'm playing through, and occasionally I play a bit of Legends II DS, but really, I'm saving myself for when BD and Type-0 drop. Then I'll get some FF.

My RPG itch, in the mean time, is being scratched by Persona 4 Golden. So in love with this game.

Heropon

That dog keeps delivering I suppose.

In other news, I didn't plan to play more rpgs right now but thanks to that Nintendo UK store screw up I got M&L Dream Team. Too many tutorials... Fortunately I don't care that much about that when I play a game for the first time, I'll just try to not replay it because it'll definitively bother me then.

While it doesn't have tutorials, the opening for Star Ocean 2 takes FOREVER and if you want to replay it, keep some saves for after that point to save yourself the zzzzzz

Seda

That dog keeps delivering I suppose.

In other news, I didn't plan to play more rpgs right now but thanks to that Nintendo UK store screw up I got M&L Dream Team. Too many tutorials... Fortunately I don't care that much about that when I play a game for the first time, I'll just try to not replay it because it'll definitively bother me then.

Dream Team was twice as long as it needed to be. Everything felt stretched. My biggest disappointment for 2013.

Heropon

While it doesn't have tutorials, the opening for Star Ocean 2 takes FOREVER and if you want to replay it, keep some saves for after that point to save yourself the zzzzzz

I'll try to remember it when I have the chance to play it... when Square-Enix puts it on PSN. Why Square has to be so inept? :(

Dream Team was twice as long as it needed to be. Everything felt stretched. My biggest disappointment for 2013.

I'm sorry to hear that, then I must be thankful I bought another thing that day in July instead of this. :p

I'm liking the battle system so far even if I don't have all the options yet. I'm really bad at dodging though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tutorials just didn't seem that bad to me because new mechanics are introduced all the time, a lot of the tutorials are skippable, and you can B-mash through them anyway. It was the least of the game's problems. But Seda's right. The game was twice as long as it should have been, and I was having trouble getting through the end portion of the game because I just got tired. A good friend of mine really loves it despite that, but I just can't come to terms with all of that excessive padding. Also the game froze on me once (which he remarks on in his review as it also happened to him), and I don't really understand why it happened.

Yes. I got the Neutral Ending. Game's ending was NES Tier. Nozomi the photographer was waifu of the game. Laura Bailey FTW.

This is why you should've went Chaos end like I did. :V

If you LPd FFD I might actually continue it, hahaha. Gosh that game. I'm in the Dancer Chapter and I dunno, it's something about 1) having to play on a phone and 2) the game's terrible staggering that prevents me from finishing it. The game would be SO MUCH EASIER if money, items and equipment were shared between parties. But having to grind four hours to buy Cura TWICE is the definition of tedium.

Haven't actually been playing much FF lately. I have the Bravely Default Demo that I'm playing through, and occasionally I play a bit of Legends II DS, but really, I'm saving myself for when BD and Type-0 drop. Then I'll get some FF.

My RPG itch, in the mean time, is being scratched by Persona 4 Golden. So in love with this game.
I was actually thinking of doing it, too, which is why I have so many screenshots saved on my tablet. So I'd have to resize all of them, upload them to imgur/abload, and then write commentary for them. It's just harder to do it on a tablet because the screenshot mechanic isn't as easy to do as it is on an emu or with streaming device software, so I'd have to write down the dialogue/look up a script for it so I'm not capturing every single line of dialogue and I'd get to use the fun SA smilies again to characterize NPCs.

And I could use this one as filler:
UfQ4YVN.gif

After finishing Bravely Default, I went back to AC4. I should really start on Knack and TW101, though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I got all 4 endings in 4 days when the game first released in NA. Go me.

-----------

It's a moondog.

CorvoSol

This is why you should've went Chaos end like I did. :V

Screw that. Jonathon may not have been the paragon of righteousness he said he was, but Walter was far more blatantly hypocritical.

"Might makes right! But also it's wrong to
suck people's brains out
, even though that perfectly exemplifies the world I envision!"

I was actually thinking of doing it, too, which is why I have so many screenshots saved on my tablet. So I'd have to resize all of them, upload them to imgur/abload, and then write commentary for them. It's just harder to do it on a tablet because the screenshot mechanic isn't as easy to do as it is on an emu or with streaming device software, so I'd have to write down the dialogue/look up a script for it so I'm not capturing every single line of dialogue and I'd get to use the fun SA smilies again to characterize NPCs.

And I could use this one as filler:
UfQ4YVN.gif

After finishing Bravely Default, I went back to AC4. I should really start on Knack and TW101, though.

Have you played enough to realize Alba is one of the best FF characters in ages?

Appropriate music.

Screw that. Jonathon may not have been the paragon of righteousness he said he was, but Walter was far more blatantly hypocritical.

suck people's brains out

They were both dumb and it was an honor to kill them

That'll teach them to think for themselves. I didn't pay them to think.

Wazzy

Banned
Weird. I never knew the creators planned for VIII to have field monsters rather than random battles. I love learning little stuff like that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fuck y'all, it's ESIPER now.

becspaqciaafj76lfyt5.jpg

suck people's brains out
But Walter's cuuuuute. :/

I found the Chaos route pretty fun. I should go back and get the Law route, but I usually do Chaos first.

Have you played enough to realize Alba is one of the best FF characters in ages?
Not yeeeet. Should I?

CorvoSol

Fuck y'all, it's ESIPER now.

becspaqciaafj76lfyt5.jpg

Terrifying.

But Walter's cuuuuute. :/

I found the Chaos route pretty fun. I should go back and get the Law route, but I usually do Chaos first.

Man Walter's open jacket made it look like he was malnourished. Plus that douchebag rode my ass for not
instantly murdering my childhood friend.
Sorry Walter, but I'm not an amoral asshole like you.

Not yeeeet. Should I?

Alba is hilarious. She's the high point of the game's writing. She had a couple of lines in
Alfheim
the Ranger chapter that were hilarious.

Wazzy

Banned
The discussion for this port is going to be interesting. Since it's a game like VI, it's bound to have endless arguments about whether or not the port works.

CorvoSol

Appropriate music.

They were both dumb and it was an honor to kill them

That'll teach them to think for themselves. I didn't pay them to think.

I at least felt a little bad
offing Jonathon
because even though I felt he was an extremist, radical, fundamentalist who wound up being a racist, too, I felt he wasn't all wrong.
The Eastern Kingdom of Mikado was a better place to live than Tokyo, which was overrun with demons. God came across as less evil and more uptight and austere.
At the very least
Jonathon
had the courage to own up to the fact that his ideal world was built on the "necessary" suffering of other people.

Walter
, on the other hand, was an idiot and a hypocrite. He became the very thing he'd started out hating at the start of the game.
His "Might makes right" and "A world run by strength" conflicted severely with his "every man makes his own destiny" and his anger was especially impotent when directed toward the Ashura Kai because they were doing exactly what he was planning. Infernal Tokyo was exactly the thing he'd been allegedly trying to prevent, but he was completely in favor of it.

Neither of them were good, but at least the former wasn't lying about the things he was doing.

In the end I feel that choosing the Neutral Ending was best for me (especially since I wasn't following a guide to get it), and that wasn't really my problem with it. My problem was that it was just
an extended scene of Burroughs saying "Congratulations on Completing the Quest. Here is a new game +."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They did put effort into it.

Just in the wrong ways and places. I think I spoke with someone a few months ago and we'd ended up saying that they just put way more effort into this than they truly needed to.

Heropon

At least they didn't touch the OST. I can imagine each theme having an unnecessary long intro and the instruments completely changed.

Top Bottom