• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I finished high school and college and I still look forward to it. People waited for Duke Nukem Forever, 14 whole years. Hope XV doesn't take that long, though it may.

It's probably gonna be received like any other FF. Some will love it, others will hate it. You can say that about any FF release, people will either love it, or hate it.

Hopefully it won't turn out like Duke Nukem Forever either.

I'm just frustrated because after they promised to be more open about the game, 7 1/2 months have passed since the rereveal trailer with nary a whisper.

CorvoSol

Yeah. XV and VIII are the most realistic and toned down style wise. I prefer VIII's more colorful look, though.

Even in 8 the party had different colors going.

I'm just frustrated because after they promised to be more open about the game, 7 1/2 months have passed since the rereveal trailer with nary a whisper.

Please be excited.

I feel your pain buddy. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated, put off, mad, or just down right hating SE these days. The way they have skirted around FFXV's reveal and still barely have anything to say about it is a joke.

I'm much more hyped about Persona 5 and that's certainly coming sooner.
Being European, I'm not so sure abour that, sadly.
I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand more times, I can't wait for P5, so excited.
I hope Europe gets it soon also, the whole P4A region lock thing was dumb.

Lol. Our great-great-grand-children will be playing FFXV on the PS7, Xbox 1540, and the 4DS. After Toriyama announces the FFXIII saga for mobile devices.

Super excited for P5. I still have not played Xenoblade. Is X the sequel to Xenoblade?

You should definitely fix that. ;)

And we don't know how X relates to Xenoblade yet. On the surface, it doesn't really look all that related outside of the battle system. But in that first reveal video, they showed one character's face (the only character they have really shown up close since the reveal), and he kind of resembles the main character of the previous game. Kind of... So *shrug*. I'm expecting it to be just kind of a spiritual sequel.

----

Is anyone else a little concerned at just how big the world of XV will be? Like, actual explorable areas.

I mean, this place looks gorgeous:

XV_Kingdom.png

Definitely one of the best looking cities I've ever seen in a game, but... how much of that will we be able to walk to and see? The only clue we have really is that map UI popping up while Noctis is flying on that machine, but still doesn't really tell us if we can explore the whole city. And one thing I have missed dearly in the XIII series is the ability to go into houses and buildings. As gorgeous of a city as Academia was, you couldn't go into anything except a couple buildings that had like a single treasure chest in them and nothing else. I also hope the world is completely interconnected and we can walk from one area to another. I don't even care if it requires a loading screen from each area - that's totally fine with me. I just don't want a level/area select screen.

I want to believe we'll be able to explore huge areas and go into buildings, but it's hard to get my hopes up after their games last gen, ya know? :/

Wazzy

Banned
Even in 8 the party had different colors going.

Please be excited.

Yeah that's why I love it. I really wish(I know you guys were discussing it earlier) that XV's character's had more variety in their colouring. I really can't stand the all black look.

Voror

Maybe Yang? He kinda looks like he is doing one in sprite form.

YangTAYBattle.PNG

Hmm, that's pretty close and I'd expect it to be a martial artist character to be the one to do it. It feels like we haven't had one of those in a while.

Cue GILGAMESH. FF's only Power Ranger.

He kind of is, yeah. Man, I hope he shows up in XV.

Personally, I've given up on waiting for XV/Versus. When it comes, it comes. I've finished Middle School, went through High School, and will probably finish College before the stupid thing comes out. NO video game is worth waiting almost 8 years so far for, probably well over 9 by the time it comes out. And it's been in some kind of production since early 2005. This game is either gonna be amazing or a train wreck, and I'm guessing train wreck seeing as how people are already apprehensive about it being an ARPG. And I've never been the biggest fan of Nojima's work, so I have even less hope in regards to the story.

The ARPG part doesn't worry me that much, though at it's worst I expect it to be simply be an adequate system that doesn't bring much in the way of innovation. Nojima is the more worrying prospect here for me since he either produces work that is alright or that I just think is pretty poor.

One thing that is certain is that it isn't going to live up to many people's expectations because the wait has likely made them rise incredibly high. Maybe even to Last Guardian levels.

I can't really think of a game off the top of my head that had a really long production time and didn't turn out quite disappointing.

Seriously, SE needs to stop promising stuff it can't deliver on. I think at this point anything would be welcome. It doesn't even need to be trailers necessarily. Do a big magazine thing with interviews detailing more on the gameplay systems and such.

Speaking of, are there any Japanese events coming up, or are we going to end up waiting until E3 for more information on XV?

Only one I can think of is that Playstation Event in February, but that's all that comes to mind. I'd honestly prefer if they'd just start putting stuff on the web rather than having to wait for each big expo and such to get any info at all.

Hell, that goes for a lot of games. If it's a big reveal then maybe, but at one of these expos I want to hear news of a playable version on the show floor.

At this point I can't see SE releasing anything for XV prior to E3. At which point we'll get an incredible looking trailer and everyone on gaf will be like "HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS AMAZING" for three days and then we all become cynics again.

I just want a release
decade
year and I'll be satisfied

Voror

At this point I can't see SE releasing anything for XV prior to E3. At which point we'll get an incredible looking trailer and everyone on gaf will be like "HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS AMAZING" for three days and then we all become cynics again.

I just want a release
decade
year and I'll be satisfied

Nah, what I need to see the next time they show this off is actual gameplay and a release date. Even a year would be fantastic at this point.

Voror

They already released like a 3 and a half minute long gameplay trailer.

Eh, what we got seemed heavily scripted and rather unfinished.

Still not enough considering it's unfinished nature and the fact that all we've seen is battles.

What people want to see in this post-FFXIII era is exploration.

And even then I wouldn't see we really saw much to the battles, though it was a closer look than anything up until that point.

Definitely this. Show wide open fields with monsters roaming around or something like that. Just not hallways!

You should definitely fix that. ;)

Someday, my copy is still sealed, the original print that came with the art book, its probably not worth anything anymore since the reprint.

Still not enough considering it's unfinished nature and the fact that all we've seen is battles.

What people want to see in this post-FFXIII era is exploration.

I want a World Map again filled with optional towns, secrets, and points of interest. Even if it would be silly seeing a giant Noctis running around one. Or maybe something like Dragon Quest VIII that world was massive and, for the most part, a joy to explore.

It's supposed to have that. And airships too.

That's the thing though, until they show that nobody has any reason to believe them.

I honestly don't know what to expect from it anymore, other than KH style fighting.

I remember them talking about a world map for versus XIII, but the last gameplay trailer on the PS3 for versus XIII looked more like a big open world to explore like DQVIII

So yeah, now that it's FFXV who knows what the hell they are scheming.

It's supposed to have that. And airships too.

That's the thing though, until they show that nobody has any reason to believe them.

It might have those things but will you actually be able to use them?

Exactly. I just don't have any faith in SE to provide those things anymore really. :( I hope they surprise me, though. I don't want the game to JUST have airships - I want to fucking manually control one again! Can't believe the last game where we could was FFIX... that was so long ago.

Xux

Man, looking back, those scans of the highway and gas station from Versus XIII were pretty hype. ARR's world is amazing I wouldn't mind something like DQVIII or FFXII's world again.

...I wish my PS2 wasn't busted so I could play FFXII. :(

wmlk

Man, looking back, those scans of the highway and gas station from Versus XIII were pretty hype. ARR's world is amazing I wouldn't mind something like DQVIII or FFXII's world again.

...I wish my PS2 wasn't busted so I could play FFXII. :(

FFXII just seems to drab for me to actually try. Especially coming off of something as fulfilling as Persona 4 was. A new standard for me.

Voror

Exactly. I just don't have any faith in SE to provide those things anymore really. :( I hope they surprise me, though. I don't want the game to JUST have airships - I want to fucking manually control one again! Can't believe the last game where we could was FFIX... that was so long ago.

There's something almost sad about how much SE have screwed up with their audience, though I suppose a lot of it is their own fault. And that people apparently are buying all that mobile phone product they keep putting out.

CorvoSol

FFXII just seems to drab for me to actually try. Especially coming off of something as fulfilling as Persona 4 was. A new standard for me.

FF XII is actually pretty good. I looked down on it back in the day because it was Real is Brown and because the battle system felt off and because I honestly think the plot falls apart in the last 4 hours, BUT it is still a solid game and hunting marks was really good.

If FF XIII's visuals could've been laid across a game with FFXII's depth it would've actually been the great game its lunatic defenders think it is.

I wish Matsuno could have managed to manage his time better and not have a breakdown.

Also putting Daisuke Watanabe on the writing team was a mistake,, some of his tendencies crept into the writing, yet despite that it still managed to be relatively well written thanks to Akiyama.

There's something almost sad about how much SE have screwed up with their audience, though I suppose a lot of it is their own fault. And that people apparently are buying all that mobile phone product they keep putting out.

Yeah.. :/ Back in the day (like early 90s to early 00s), Square could do no wrong in my book. I considered them the masters of video games (along with Nintendo) and I always looked forward to a new game by them. But now... eh... I just don't have faith they can return to what they once were. It's depressing.

I wish Matsuno could have managed to manage his time better and not have a breakdown.

Also putting Daisuke Watanabe on the writing team was a mistake,, some of his tendencies crept into the writing, yet despite that it still managed to be relatively well written thanks to Akiyama.

I would have loved to see the game Matsuno had originally planned. Like with all those other subplots involving Vaan and becoming a sky pirate. Would have been a much better game (not that it's bad or anything like that, but you know what I mean).

Noi

FFXIV is the only thing keeping my faith in SE going, and even then it's just in that particular branch. Completely willing to make fun of how awful the management side of the company is.

I would have loved to see the game Matsuno had originally planned. Like with all those other subplots involving Vaan and becoming a sky pirate. Would have been a much better game (not that it's bad or anything like that, but you know what I mean).

Yeah, it definitely had the potential to be greater, more so than any title before it.

But them's the breaks. It still turned out pretty damn good regardless.

CorvoSol

FFXIV is the only thing keeping my faith in SE going, and even then it's just in that particular branch. Completely willing to make fun of how awful the management side of the company is.

Handheld games are still okay. Type-0 to Bravely Default and all that.

Your loss, It's an in incredible game, not my favorite story or characters though. The gambit system let you create awesome AI scripts to mow down enemy in the way. It's a completely different game than P4, so don't bother comparing them.

Yup, BD is soooo close o_o I can almost taste it.

You're right, we are partly to blame. Well the people who actually buy the mobile stuff. I have yet to buy any of that stuff, and will continue to not support it. Though that is lost on the millions who do. If i want to play Final Fantasy its on a gaming device, not my phone.

Yeah.. :/ Back in the day (like early 90s to early 00s), Square could do no wrong in my book. I considered them the masters of video games (along with Nintendo) and I always looked forward to a new game by them. But now... eh... I just don't have faith they can return to what they once were. It's depressing.

Everything you said is so true, it hurts.

Though I've of the mind they still can return to former glory, but they won't because they will instead focus on Edit: being dumb

Honestly when FFXV and KHIII were announced I felt like they were going in the right direction till I found out it was for next gen. Why not just make those games on PS3? An established market that really wants some JRPG glory of the PS1/PS2 days. Nope, lets start over, lets put this out on 2 brand new consoles that have no establishment yet. Then again by the time those games are out, the console market may have be established... GAHH SE, the hell are you guys doing.

wmlk

Your loss, It's an in incredible game, not my favorite story or characters though. The gambit system let you create awesome AI scripts to mow down enemy in the way. It's a completely different game than P4, so don't bother comparing them.

Yeah I understand. I don't have that much time to play video games anymore. In fact, I beat Persona 4 over a span of 6 months. That's why I want whichever games I play to pretty darn good.

For all I hear about FFXII and how great the gameplay is, I don't see it leaving a lasting impression on me. I like to play games that make me think for a long time after I finish them, and hearing how the story falls apart near the end is kind of off-putting. I might just wait for the Type-0 patch to be released.

Not all defense of nor all defenders of FFXIII are lunatics, but people going around insisting that Lightning be called a Goddess and shutting their ears to the myriad problems the series has most certainly are.

My main problem that kind of stuff is that it makes it harder for people who actually liked XIII for what it was (which I did, all things considered... interesting concepts, beautiful art direction, awesome soundtrack, good voice acting, and an interesting battle system all mired by sub par execution and extremely questionable design decisions) to talk about it without being laughed at. Calling Lightning a Goddess (some people do is as a joke, but a lot of people don't) is just plain embarrassing, and throwing the wide net of "hater" over anyone who has issues with the game just gunks up any rational conversation to be had (granted, there are people who do drive by posts in every thread).

But I do have to say, Corvo... that quote Dragmire was talking about was a bit OTT.

Yeah I understand. I don't have that much time to play video games anymore. In fact, I beat Persona 4 over a span of 6 months. That's why I want whichever games I play to pretty darn good.

For all I hear about FFXII and how great the gameplay is, I don't see it leaving a lasting impression on me. I like to play games that make me think for a long time after I finish them, and hearing how the story falls apart near the end is kind of off-putting. I might just wait for the Type-0 patch to be released.

I feel your pain friend, wish I had more time to play games also.

Yeah, if you want a good story or compelling characters FFXII isn't the game for you. P4 is definitely a game that will make you think after finishing it. Congrats for beating it! It must have been a hectic 6 months.

CorvoSol

My main problem that kind of stuff is that it makes it harder for people who actually liked XIII for what it was (which I did, all things considered... interesting concepts, beautiful art direction, awesome soundtrack, good voice acting, and an interesting battle system all mired by sub par execution and extremely questionable design decisions) to talk about it without being laughed at. Calling Lightning a Goddess (some people do is as a joke, but a lot of people don't) is just plain embarrassing, and throwing the wide net of "hater" over anyone who has issues with the game just gunks up any rational conversation to be had (granted, there are people who do drive by posts in every thread).

But I do have to say, Corvo... that quote Dragmire was talking about was a bit OTT.

Like I said, not everyone nor every defense of XIII is a lunatic. If you feel that you defend XIII and aren't a lunatic, chances are my comment was not directed at you. In fact I put the word lunatic in there not to imply that everyone who defends XIII is a lunatic, but to specifically refer to the defenders of XIII who are lunatics.

I apologize for the confusion that causes, but that's about the only apology I feel the need to make here.

The people who I am talking about are the ones who ruin conversations about FFXIII and spend those threads bitching about every complaint made about it, whilst directing all manner of accusations at people for being old codgers who are afraid of change and yadda yadda yadda. If you go into FFXIII threads and ruin discussion thus, then sure, be offended by my remark. If you actually want to talk about FFXIII and not muck up the convo with lengthy nonsense about people being afraid of Toriyama's golden masterpiece or whatever, then by all means, let's talk.

I LIKED XIII. I've defended it. The comment I've made isn't a generalized insult I would drop on Dragmire's head.

Am curious as to how FFXV's launch is meant to decrease the vitriol against XIII, however.

Like I said, not everyone nor every defense of XIII is a lunatic. If you feel that you defend XIII and aren't a lunatic, chances are my comment was not directed at you. In fact I put the word lunatic in there not to imply that everyone who defends XIII is a lunatic, but to specifically refer to the defenders of XIII who are lunatics.

The people who I am talking about are the ones who ruin conversations about FFXIII and spend those threads bitching about every complaint made about it, whilst directing all manner of accusations at people for being old codgers who are afraid of change and yadda yadda yadda. If you go into FFXIII threads and ruin discussion thus, then sure, be offended by my remark. If you actually want to talk about FFXIII and not muck up the convo with lengthy nonsense about people being afraid of Toriyama's golden masterpiece or whatever, then by all means, let's talk.

I LIKED XIII. I've defended it. The comment I've made isn't a generalized insult I would drop on Dragmire's head.

I apologize for the confusion that causes, but that's about the only apology I feel the need to make here.

It's all good.

-----

Personally, after XIII-2 and from what I have seen with LR, I'm a lot less forgiving of The Lightning Saga as a whole. I'm just so tired of the whole "tons of potential, but bad execution squanders it all" cycle of it all. As someone who hopes to be a novelist someday, I eat that "Several different mythologies mixed together, extended metaphors and symbolism, character arcs, overarching themes, etc" stuff that the FNC has going on right up but at some point I've just gone "I'm tired of having to sift through the bullshit". And there is A LOT of bullshit in terms of bad execution. All the potential in the world doesn't mean jack if you can't do anything with it. And they get SO CLOSE sometimes, which just makes it all the more frustrating.

I'm thinking of just taking XIII on its own and then taking XIII-2/LR as some strange "What if" scenario.

CorvoSol

Here's a video of British chaps playing the LR demo.

I only posted because they never actually talk about the demo and end up talking about the series as a whole and their problems with it.

Not that I thought FF's latest reception has just been an American thing, but I always find it interesting to hear the opinions of folks outside of my country on things.

Their accents make me pay more attention. Watching it more, I agree with a fair amount of what they're saying.

The ARPG part doesn't worry me that much, though at it's worst I expect it to be simply be an adequate system that doesn't bring much in the way of innovation. Nojima is the more worrying prospect here for me since he either produces work that is alright or that I just think is pretty poor.

One thing that is certain is that it isn't going to live up to many people's expectations because the wait has likely made them rise incredibly high. Maybe even to Last Guardian levels.

Did you see that poll where people already rank Noctis as one of their favorite FF characters? It's gonna get real ugly, real fast.

I can't really think of a game off the top of my head that had a really long production time and didn't turn out quite disappointing.

Seriously, SE needs to stop promising stuff it can't deliver on. I think at this point anything would be welcome. It doesn't even need to be trailers necessarily. Do a big magazine thing with interviews detailing more on the gameplay systems and such.

All I know is that until I see some concrete gameplay and have an on the floor demo, I shall remain skeptical. Almost 9 years of some kind of production and almost 2 1/2 years of full production and all we've got are vague cinematic trailers and a single tech demo. What a joke.

On the topic of XIII, I'm at chapter 10, the story is kinda more interesting, there's a good story to be told, it's just telling it really poorly. The characters are kinda better, at least they are friendlier with each other. I can finally change my party. Combat is still amusing, though it's losing its charm. The graphics are still breathtaking.

Overall, still liking it, but not loving it, and will probably be saying the same thing by the end of the game.

Their accents make me pay more attention.

Ello Cohvoh, oim typ'n ina british accent.

wmlk

On the topic of XIII, I'm at chapter 10, the story is kinda more interesting, there's a good story to be told, it's just telling it really poorly. The characters are kinda better, at least they are friendlier with each other. I can finally change my party. Combat is still amusing, though it's losing its charm. The graphics are still breathtaking.

Overall, still liking it, but not loving it, and will probably be saying the same thing by the end of the game.

Ello Cohvoh, oim typ'n ina british accent.

Go to the Yaschas Massif! Best area in the game.

CorvoSol

I was surprised that many of their views were my own.

It's always good to have confirmation that you aren't crazy.
At least not too crazy

"I just wish they'd done something new." perfectly encapsulates my feelings toward LR. In fairness, it does look like the best game in the trilogy. It's just a shame that it will always feel completely unnecessary and forever be the victim of trilogy fatigue.

Voror

I think it's unreasonable to even consider SE could ever return to those days. I rather think the market has changed so much it just isn't possible for them to ever get to that level anymore.

All I feel we can hope for is a few good games here and there among the more forgettable titles. And even that hope is dying to a degree.

Handheld titles seem to be untouched by the poison.

I still can't believe how good TWEWY is. I really love that game.

Indeed, their handheld output is about the only thing maintaining a semblance of quality, but that seems to be countered by how that output feels that it has drastically decreased.

You're right, we are partly to blame. Well the people who actually buy the mobile stuff. I have yet to buy any of that stuff, and will continue to not support it. Though that is lost on the millions who do. If i want to play Final Fantasy its on a gaming device, not my phone.

Honestly when FFXV and KHIII were announced I felt like they were going in the right direction till I found out it was for next gen. Why not just make those games on PS3? An established market that really wants some JRPG glory of the PS1/PS2 days. Nope, lets start over, lets put this out on 2 brand new consoles that have no establishment yet. Then again by the time those games are out, the console market may have be established... GAHH SE, the hell are you guys doing.

Same with me. I just don't get gaming on phones aside from those bejeweled kind of games, though obviously I'm not the target audience here.

Eh, that didn't really bother me much. And honestly, I'd figured KHIII for next gen for some time since it simply didn't seem a particularly smart move with the new systems coming out, though I suppose the counterpoint to that might be that Atlus and Namco Bandai both have entries in a staple series on PS3.

Indeed, the major problem with XIII lies in it's writing, execution, and design though some of those problems appear to have been the result of mismanagement. I just honestly have a hard time buying anyone who seriously says that someone like Lightning is a great character or even Snow for that matter.

Personally, after XIII-2 and from what I have seen with LR, I'm a lot less forgiving of The Lightning Saga as a whole. I'm just so tired of the whole "tons of potential, but bad execution squanders it all" cycle of it all. As someone who hopes to be a novelist someday, I eat that "Several different mythologies mixed together, extended metaphors and symbolism, character arcs, overarching themes, etc" stuff that the FNC has going on right up but at some point I've just gone "I'm tired of having to sift through the bullshit". And there is A LOT of bullshit in terms of bad execution. All the potential in the world doesn't mean jack if you can't do anything with it. And they get SO CLOSE sometimes, which just makes it all the more frustrating.

I'm thinking of just taking XIII on its own and then taking XIII-2/LR as some strange "What if" scenario.

Squandering of potential is in many ways more infuriating than it simply being bad as I've seen many instances of people going over what's there and coming up with much better ways it all could have been executed and this is often from people who aren't professional writers and such.

Did you see that poll where people already rank Noctis as one of their favorite FF characters? It's gonna get real ugly, real fast.

All I know is that until I see some concrete gameplay and have an on the floor demo, I shall remain skeptical. Almost 9 years of some kind of production and almost 2 1/2 years of full production and all we've got are vague cinematic trailers and a single tech demo. What a joke.

Oh jeez, are you serious? We know barely nothing about the guy so far aside from some base info presented in trailers and interviews. Man, this is going to be a slaughter I feel.

The vague cinematic trailers were ok early on since I was given to understand that Versus wasn't going to really move forward until after XIII was completed. And then nothing and more nothing, with the occasional magazine snippet. Hell, I remember when we got that trailer with the first glimpse of gameplay and got really excited thinking we were finally getting somewhere.

You just can't pull this crap anymore. Someone at SE has to see this. At first it seemed they did with the comment on the times of being in the dark were over, but then that ended up being a flat out lie really.

Top Bottom