• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Here's a video of British chaps playing the LR demo.

I only posted because they never actually talk about the demo and end up talking about the series as a whole and their problems with it.

Not that I thought FF's latest reception has just been an American thing, but I always find it interesting to hear the opinions of folks outside of my country on things.

They are fun to listen to, but dear god, they are annoying to watch play. They don't pay attention to anything, skip tutorials (I mean, they click OK but don't end up reading anything), then are like "why can't I attack more? This seems slow." They unlock the ability to go into the menu and look at the different jobs and customize, but they don't do it (at least not yet so far, still watching). And he keep just using Blizzaga over and over, lol. And not blocking at all minus the first two times.

Did they call Vaan "Vaas"? I can't take these two seriously, lol.

I actually disagree with them on several things they are saying. With the exception of the first few FFs, the series has always been very character-focused which is what I love about it.

Same with me. I just don't get gaming on phones aside from those bejeweled kind of games, though obviously I'm not the target audience here.

Eh, that didn't really bother me much. And honestly, I'd figured KHIII for next gen for some time since it simply didn't seem a particularly smart move with the new systems coming out, though I suppose the counterpoint to that might be that Atlus and Namco Bandai both have entries in a staple series on PS3.

Yup, games designed for phones are cool, but I hate when you just try to shove a game on a phone.

I suppose. I guess I'm just being a little too sensitive about it. I honestly though if SE was gonna release KH on a next gen it would have been PS4 exclusive. Though it might as well be since what portion of the Xbox One audience would actually want a KH game.

I'm just happy that Atlus and Namco Bandai are putting out games for a system I own. P5, and Zesteria are probably gonna do just fine.

They are fun to listen to, but dear god, they are annoying to watch play. They don't pay attention to anything, skip tutorials (I mean, they click OK but don't end up reading anything), then are like "why can't I attack more? This seems slow." They unlock the ability to go into the menu and look at the different jobs and customize, but they don't do it (at least not yet so far, still watching). And he keep just using Blizzaga over and over, lol. And not blocking at all minus the first two times.

Did they call Vaan "Vaas"? I can't take these two seriously, lol.

I actually disagree with them on several things they are saying. With the exception of the first few FFs, the series has always been very character-focused which is what I love about it.

Agree with everything you said. I stopped watching after 15 minutes and just listened to their commentary in the background for the reasons you stated, and the whole "Vaas" thing was just "You're praising XII on one hand, but then you don't know the name of the any of the main characters..." and the whole "Lumina is Serah" was annoying since that was debunked by the writing staff months before release. Also, all the FF's I've played are pretty character focused (not as much as XIII, but they still had a decent focus on the characters. VII has entire areas devoted to the sole purpose of fleshing out the characters).

Wasn't impressed with the video, to say the least.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Exactly. I just don't have any faith in SE to provide those things anymore really. :( I hope they surprise me, though. I don't want the game to JUST have airships - I want to fucking manually control one again! Can't believe the last game where we could was FFIX... that was so long ago.

Well at least MonolithSoft will let me fly in my robot.

--------------------

As for Square after Type 0 and Bravely series I'm probably done with them or at the very least I'll only buy 1 out of 20 games from Square. XIV I can never play since I'm too cheap to buy a system or new PC just to play it. I might consider getting the soundtrack for one song but otherwise like XI I'll have to pass.

I'm gonna be honest most of who made Square great has left and either gone and is doing something else or has faded into obscurity. I'll always be lurking for the GILGAMESH or merely observing events relating to the character ergo XIV and what have you. Still waiting for FF musou.

--------------------

As for Square after Type 0 and Bravely series I'm probably done with them or at the very least I'll only buy 1 out of 20 games from Square. XIV I can never play since I'm too cheap to buy a system or new PC just to play it. I might consider getting the soundtrack for one song but otherwise like XI I'll have to pass.

I'm gonna be honest most of who made Square great has left and either gone and is doing something else or has faded into obscurity. I'll always be lurking for the GILGAMESH or merely observing events relating to the character ergo XIV and what have you. Still waiting for FF musou.

SE is a shell of their former selves. Someday I want to play ARR FFXIV someday.

FF musou sounds badass. Chopping dudes up as Cloud, Terra disintegrating baddies with magic. I would be down for that. Especially since Zelda got one. An FF one would be all kinds of crazy. Call in an air strike from the Highwind, because why not.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FF musou sounds badass. Chopping dudes up as Cloud, Terra disintegrating baddies with magic. I would be down for that. Especially since Zelda got one. An FF one would be all kinds of crazy. Call in an air strike from the Highwind, because why not.

Bro I just want a GILGAMESH game. All I really want. :/

Agree with everything you said. I stopped watching after 15 minutes and just listened to their commentary in the background for the reasons you stated, and the whole "Vaas" thing was just "You're praising XII on one hand, but then you don't know the name of the any of the main characters..." and the whole "Lumina is Serah" was annoying since that was debunked by the writing staff months before release. Also, all the FF's I've played are pretty character focused (not as much as XIII, but they still had a decent focus on the characters. VII has entire areas devoted to the sole purpose of fleshing out the characters).

Wasn't impressed with the video, to say the least.

Yeah, quite a bit wrong in that video, lol. Ah well, was still mildly entertaining to listen to (even if it was also a bit annoying).

<3 <3 <3 Monolith Soft <3 <3 <3

X is my most anticipated game right now and for good reason. I believe their trailers - I think we'll be able to do everything they showed off. I can't say the same for FFXV currently. I just don't trust SE's trailers anymore - at least their reveals. Pls Nintendo. Pls give me more X footage...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
<3 <3 <3 Monolith Soft <3 <3 <3

X is my most anticipated game right now and for good reason. I believe their trailers - I think we'll be able to do everything they showed off. I can't say the same for FFXV currently. I just don't trust SE's trailers anymore - at least their reveals. Pls Nintendo. Pls give me more X footage...

Well like I said.

Project X. Revealed in 2013. Set for release in 2014 maybe 2015 if delayed. Dev basically started in 2010 after Xenoblade.

Then you have XVersus. Revealed in 2006. We are in 2014. Set for a release date of 201X maybe.

And I can get excited over Project X because I can tell I'll be in full control whereas with XV it looks like another cinematic game experience which I am concerned with. Now if it turns out to be a Console Type 0 I would love it.

What would it be like? A JRPG? A character action game like Devil May Cry? A dating Sim?

I once had an ambitious neverending game idea for GILGAMESH to travel the multiverse and go through each FF world and play out key sections of the series. But I think the best way to go is FF musou.

CorvoSol

--------------------

I dunno if I'll drop Square entirely, but I've definitely moved on from the days where they were the sole providers of RPGs for me. I'll get LR eventually, when it's in the bottom of the bargain bin, and I'll probably check out FF15, but FF15 is the crucial game for me. If it turns out great, then I can move on from how awful 13 is. If FF15 isn't great, though, I'm gonna lose basically all faith in their capacity to make a console game. KH 3 is really the very latest I could hold out hope.

CorvoSol

I just play the older FF games and all is well as far as I go.

In all honesty I think I'm just needing time off from FF. I really burned myself out running through the entire series, so I'm enjoying getting to know Tales and Persona and Fire Emblem. It also doesn't help that Square has not rewarded my excitement for Final Fantasy games in years.

Seda

I've been playing a lot of older RPGs. For some reason a few years back I decided I want to become familiar with most of the classic series first hand. I recently went through the Golden Sun games, and I blitzed through Wild Arms before that. While I've played Persona 3/4, I want to try out the earlier Persona titles soon.

That said, I have plenty to keep me occupied until FFXV comes out. But also, I don't often get 'hyped' for games. I hope I like FFXV, but I have no idea if I will like it or not based on what we know.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Through all of the Wild Arms games? I'm trying to go through that series for 15 years now and still only finished the first two games.

Seda

Through all of the Wild Arms games? I'm trying to go through that series for 15 years now and still only finished the first two games.

Well I completed 1,2,3,4, and 5 last year. Alter Code is next up on the list, and then Wild Arms XF after that. Then I'll be done.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wow. I guess I get distracted too easily. I just recently continued with WA3, but then went back to Earthbound instead. One day, I'll finish this series (same with BoF and Suikoden), one day!

In all honesty I think I'm just needing time off from FF. I really burned myself out running through the entire series, so I'm enjoying getting to know Tales and Persona and Fire Emblem. It also doesn't help that Square has not rewarded my excitement for Final Fantasy games in years.

That probably doesn't help, don't let yourself get burned out. I would never do anything like play all of them in a row, I love to replay them but only one at a time and spaced out. And yeah there are many other RPG's to explore or replay. Like Lunar!

I once had an ambitious neverending game idea for GILGAMESH to travel the multiverse and go through each FF world and play out key sections of the series. But I think the best way to go is FF musou.

Your fantasy Gilgamesh game sounds more interesting than anything SE has put out recently.

I just play the older FF games and all is well as far as I go.

Sounds reasonable, I just hope SE puts out something as memorable as there previous work, but it's hard to stay optimistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKIJNxDm-U

Why is this my first time learning of this?

This is the best music video ever.

By the way, know any good FFVIII AMV's I could watch? AMV's are a guilty pleasure of mine, as long as they are not set to a certain Cascada song.

I've been playing a lot of older RPGs. For some reason a few years back I decided I want to become familiar with most of the classic series first hand. I recently went through the Golden Sun games, and I blitzed through Wild Arms before that. While I've played Persona 3/4, I want to try out the earlier Persona titles soon.

Golden Sun for the GBA was fantastic, too bad the DS one wasn't that hot. A Golden Sun 3DS would be nice.

I've decided just to watch P1, and the P2 Dulology, on YouTube. The gameplay isn't doing it for me the way P3:FES and 4 does. I just need the story since that's what Persona fans love about those two games the most.

Also, is your avatar Jazz the Jack Rabbit?

Seda

I just need the story since that's what Persona fans love about those two games the most.

Also, is your avatar Jazz the Jack Rabbit?

I don't value narrative too much in RPGs, but good/relate-able characters I can appreciate, which Persona 3/4 generally did pretty well. I have already talked quite a bit about the games with other people and I am aware of some of the issues people have with Persona 1 and 2.

And it's Jazz Jackrabbit! Not "Jazz the Jack Rabbit", that just sounds silly!

EDIT: Truthfully though, I wonder what % of people on the board recognize the character at all, heh

I don't value narrative too much in RPGs, but good/relate-able characters I can appreciate, which Persona 3/4 generally did pretty well. I have already talked quite a bit about the games with other people and I am aware of some of the issues people have with Persona 1 and 2.

EDIT: Truthfully though, I wonder what % of people on the board recognize the character at all, heh

I THOUGHT THAT'S WHO IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, characters often make or break a story anyways. Probably why I loved P3:FES/4 so much.

lol, It's been a while! Pretty sure my friends in grade school corrected me on the spelling of his name as well. Bleszinski's finest work I feel.

Wazzy

Banned
This is the best music video ever.

By the way, know any good FFVIII AMV's I could watch? AMV's are a guilty pleasure of mine, as long as they are not set to a certain Cascada song.

I know a couple. I just need to make sure they're still on youtube. :p

That music video is so dedicated to VIII and X :lol

I'm sure everyone has seen this but IDGAF, this is awesome.
Minitokyo.Crossovers.Wallpaper.577181.jpg

I'm so tempted to make Squall my avatar but I don't wanna change from Raijin.

I know a couple. I just need to make sure they're still on youtube. :p

That music video is so dedicated to VIII and X :lol

I'm sure everyone has seen this but IDGAF, this is awesome.

I'm so tempted to make Squall my avatar but I don't wanna change from Raijin.

Squall was my AIM avatar all throughout high school, the ladies loved his dreaminess. How he would non-nonchalantly gaze at the stars. *swoons*

Crop out Squall's face, and you have my old AIM avatar. Good times

1246650160208_f.jpg

Wazzy

Banned
Squall was my AIM avatar all throughout high school, the ladies loved his dreaminess. How he would non-nonchalantly gaze at the stars. *swoons*

Crop out Squall's face, and you have my old AIM avatar. Good times

1246650160208_f.jpg

Yeah I love Squall. There's already quite a few members with him as their avatar. I just really love this coca cola design.

Him and Cloud are such bro's.

Also here's a couple, the first being my favourite VIII AMV:
VIII Supernatural
Vertical Horizon VIII

CorvoSol

To be perfectly honest I have difficulty remembering that there is a difference between Jazz Jackrabbit and Bucky O'Hare.

Yeah I love Squall. There's already quite a few members with him as their avatar. I just really love this coca cola design.

Him and Cloud are such bro's.

Also here's a couple, the first being my favourite VIII AMV:
VIII Supernatural
Vertical Horizon VIII

Those were pretty good, though not my taste in music. I want to someday make a Final Fantasy AMV set to Michelle Branch or Journey's Separate Ways.

Here's my favorite AMV related FF and KH, the YouTube versions are muted lol

Wazzy

Banned
Those were pretty good, though not my taste in music. I want to someday make a Final Fantasy AMV set to Michelle Branch or Journey's Separate Ways.

Here's my favorite AMV related FF and KH, the YouTube versions are muted lol

Gravity Of Love
I really love this one.

I'll check for some featuring those songs. :p

I was considering making an VIII AMV but I haven't made one in years and quite frankly, I'm not that good. I think the only decent AMV I have is this Wolfs' Rain one.

Wolfs Rain AMV

Wazzy

Banned

Voror

I always liked that dance scene in VIII for some reason. It was both funny, rather adorable, and a bit sad at the same time.

I'm sort of at loss as to what to play next. I'm in Act 4 of Xillia right now and I should be able to finish in the next few days I think. I've narrowed it down to XIII-2, Black Flag, or Xenoblade. I'm sort of wondering about saving Xenoblade for last as it will likely take me the longest out of he three.

Gaz_RB

I made these quite a few years ago:

Wow that 1000 Words mash up brought back some memories. Can't wait for the remaster.

I always liked that dance scene in VIII for some reason. It was both funny, rather adorable, and a bit sad at the same time.

I'm sort of at loss as to what to play next. I'm in Act 4 of Xillia right now and I should be able to finish in the next few days I think. I've narrowed it down to XIII-2, Black Flag, or Xenoblade. I'm sort of wondering about saving Xenoblade for last as it will likely take me the longest out of he three.

I'm about to start 13-2 today, you should too! Already beat 13?

All three are good choices though. Black Flag and Xenoblade for sure.

CorvoSol

Wow that 1000 Words mash up brought back some memories. Can't wait for the remaster.

I'm about to start 13-2 today, you should too! Already beat 13?

All three are good choices though. Black Flag and Xenoblade for sure.

Make sure you do Stupid Serah in FFXIII-2. It's the best way to play the game.

CorvoSol

No idea what you're talking about yet, but will do!

In FFXIII-2 it gives you dialogue options for Serah. One of them, almost invariably, will be waaaaay stupider than the others. The game is most enjoyable if you ALWAYS pick that option.

For instance, at one point the team is kinda angsting, and Serah is like "I think what is wrong with the team is _______" and one choice is "the shape of Mog's head." Stuff like that.

Erekiddo

With the PS4 CE announced, is it possible to double dip and use the character I have on the PC version with this?

I just want a (somewhat) portable FF14 and the bonuses.

It reminded me of Beauty and the Beast for some reason, but that's a good thing since that was a great movie. Maybe it was because Lions are beasts and represents Squall really well. Rinoa, obviously the beauty. Favorite part, when Squall gets flustered and tries to walk off, only to have Rinoa drag him back in.

CorvoSol

I played a bit of Dissiadia 012 today and...

E01.jpg

So uh, were Yuna's boobs always that big

Sure, sure sure. And Terra was always that whiny, and Cecil always had that big a crush on Golbez. And Shantoto was always that useless in a fight.

In a post-Toriyama world, yes.

He has increased the bust sizes of all FF females without us noticing.

I dunno, I mean, Dissidia was the first time I realized Terra wasn't busty. Sprites told me nothing, son!

Top Bottom