• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Just wait for VI-2 Corvo.

Not if there is a just and merciful God. You can make a game where there's still magic but no summons, but how do you get around there being no magic and no summons in a game that had magic and summons as central to the world and plot? FFVI made darn certain to protect itself from sequels.

Horrible prequels on the other hand.

Noi

With the PS4 CE announced, is it possible to double dip and use the character I have on the PC version with this?

I just want a (somewhat) portable FF14 and the bonuses.

Yes. Everyone plays on the same servers, so the character you play with on PC will be the same you use on PS4.

Not if there is a just and merciful God. You can make a game where there's still magic but no summons, but how do you get around there being no magic and no summons in a game that had magic and summons as central to the world and plot? FFVI made darn certain to protect itself from sequels.

Normally I'd agree with you, but after the asspull that was FFX-2.5, I'm convinced SE could do it if they tried.

They wouldn't do a good job of it, but who expects quality direct sequels anymore?

CorvoSol

Normally I'd agree with you, but after the asspull that was FFX-2.5, I'm convinced SE could do it if they tried.

They wouldn't do a good job of it, but who expects quality direct sequels anymore?

I can see it now. A wormhole opens to the Esper world, Terra turns into some manner of controlled Esper state, Kefka returns but the real villain is somebody else, Locke dies and Shadow comes back.

Can anybody tell me why everyone hates the FFX-2.5 thing so much without spoiling it? I don't know anything about it, but I was looking forward to it.....

CorvoSol

Can anybody tell me why everyone hates the FFX-2.5 thing so much without spoiling it? I don't know anything about it, but I was looking forward to it.....

I really don't think it is possible to explain why people hate it without spoiling it, because the things people hate are the spoilers.

I will give you a hint.

xoGV64H.gif

Oh goddd. Well I look forward to making up my own mind when I hear it for myself.

I liked FFX-2 despite the ridiculous
Wakka and Lulu getting together and having a baby decision... talk about incestuous....

Voror

Golden Sun for the GBA was fantastic, too bad the DS one wasn't that hot. A Golden Sun 3DS would be nice.

Those were great games. I remember getting to the end of the first with that cliffhanger and later being ecstatic when learning about the The Lost Age. I have the DS one, but never got around to it, though I hear it was a let down.

I'm about to start 13-2 today, you should too! Already beat 13?

All three are good choices though. Black Flag and Xenoblade for sure.

My younger sister was the one who beat 13 technically. I was the co-pilot if that makes any sense, there every step of the way till the end. I played a bit here and there to grind for her since she doesn't like that sort of thing. Oh, and providing narration of all the Datalogs to spice those up a bit.

It's funny because my sister probably hates that game to a degree more than I do. She was so let down once she realized that that gravity control thing from the beginning wasn't actually a gameplay aspect. She even got her hopes back up about the l'Cie thing, thinking that Lightning would get gravity based magic as a specialty.

I've tended to hear that 13-2 is the best one actually. From a gameplay perspective anyway.

Make sure you do Stupid Serah in FFXIII-2. It's the best way to play the game.

In FFXIII-2 it gives you dialogue options for Serah. One of them, almost invariably, will be waaaaay stupider than the others. The game is most enjoyable if you ALWAYS pick that option.

For instance, at one point the team is kinda angsting, and Serah is like "I think what is wrong with the team is _______" and one choice is "the shape of Mog's head." Stuff like that.

Kind of reminds me of the old Fallout games where if you had your intelligence stat low enough you sounded like an idiot. I'll have to remember this little detail.

It reminded me of Beauty and the Beast for some reason, but that's a good thing since that was a great movie. Maybe it was because Lions are beasts and represents Squall really well. Rinoa, obviously the beauty. Favorite part, when Squall gets flustered and tries to walk off, only to have Rinoa drag him back in.

I mainly liked since it was the first time there seemed to be a crack in that facade Squall was so obviously putting on and he was so awkward about the whole thing. And I got the impression that he did know how to dance but purposefully did badly at first to make her leave him alone.

I played a bit of Dissiadia 012 today and...

E01.jpg

So uh, were Yuna's boobs always that big

I'm thinking of picking that game up given how its on sale.

Not for this reason though.

In a post-Toriyama world, yes.

He has increased the bust sizes of all FF females without us noticing.

Uh, why? I mean, what's the point? Is there anyone going, "I like these female FF characters, but y'know what would make them even better? Bigger boobs!!"

I will give you a hint.

xoGV64H.gif

Oh, that is simply amazing!

There's a part of me convinced that the more ridiculous parts of that story are meant to keep another game being made.

Gaz_RB

In FFXIII-2 it gives you dialogue options for Serah. One of them, almost invariably, will be waaaaay stupider than the others. The game is most enjoyable if you ALWAYS pick that option.

For instance, at one point the team is kinda angsting, and Serah is like "I think what is wrong with the team is _______" and one choice is "the shape of Mog's head." Stuff like that.

LOL yeah I just started playing and I see what you mean.

It's crazy how much more they made me care about the 4 NORA people in the first hour of this than in all of FF13.

CorvoSol

LOL yeah I just started playing and I see what you mean.

It's crazy how much more they made me care about the 4 NORA people in the first hour of this than in all of FF13.

I still don't care about them, but I confess that playing Serah as an airhead made her out to be a much more likeable character. It was my solace for the fact that the game butchered Lightning's character.

Voror

I still don't care about them, but I confess that playing Serah as an airhead made her out to be a much more likeable character. It was my solace for the fact that the game butchered Lightning's character.

I've also heard rather good things about Noel as well in terms of likability, though I suppose I'll see for myself.

CorvoSol

I've also heard rather good things about Noel as well in terms of likability, though I suppose I'll see for myself.

Noel is pretty likeable, once you get past the incredibly cheesy shit Toriyama makes him say.

In all honesty I didn't have any problem with XIII-2 until the ending started. That ending is so horrible it turned me from someone who defended XIII in spite of its flaws to someone who hated XIII and all it had come to represent.

The ending to XIII-2 is the worst Final Fantasy ending ever made.

Voror

Noel is pretty likeable, once you get past the incredibly cheesy shit Toriyama makes him say.

In all honesty I didn't have any problem with XIII-2 until the ending started. That ending is so horrible it turned me from someone who defended XIII in spite of its flaws to someone who hated XIII and all it had come to represent.

The ending to XIII-2 is the worst Final Fantasy ending ever made.

I'm starting to think that Toriyama is the Japanese equivalent of George Lucas. Does Noel compare anyone to an angel or goddess?

The ending does seem to be the thing I hear complaints on, though I've heard complaints about the plot in general in that anything can be explained away with "a time paradox did it."

I thought it was great.

But LR's ending is even better.

Possibly the greatest of all time.

HTupolev

Serah is going to come across as a complete idiot no matter how you play the game, might as well embrace the saturday morning cartoonishness of it all.

Seda

Any of the dlc for that game worth it? I know a few of the characters you can get from them are quite broken.

Some of the extra coliseum bouts were the most enjoyable part of the game for me. Some seem to practically require really specific strategies to win, however.

CorvoSol

Any of the dlc for that game worth it? I know a few of the characters you can get from them are quite broken.

To be entirely honest the DLC matches are the best part of the game. Lightning in her DLC match was way more in character than Lightning in game. Matches against Nabaat, Ultros, and Gilgamesh are all good, too.

Noi

Some of the extra coliseum bouts were the most enjoyable part of the game for me. Some seem to practically require really specific strategies to win, however.

It'd be the only time XIII-2 actually asks you to bother learning its combat system.

The only reason I'm playing through FFXIII is because people say FFXIII-2 is good. Thought it would be weird to play the sequel without trying the original. Though I feel like I should have went straight to FFXIII-2.

How much of an improvement is it? any specifics would be appreciated.

Voror

To be entirely honest the DLC matches are the best part of the game. Lightning in her DLC match was way more in character than Lightning in game. Matches against Nabaat, Ultros, and Gilgamesh are all good, too.

Alright then, I'll probably go ahead and get those. It's rather nice when DLC is actually worth it.

I'm suddenly wondering if we'll see DLC for XV and KHIII and how that would work.

XIII-2 is a lot more open, you can actually customize all your characters in any way you want to (though the game is ridiculously easily so its kind of pointless), there are actual (kind) side quests. Basically take all the issues people have with XIII and they kind of fixed them, but not that well.

Also Noel is better than all of XIII's cast combined sans Sazh.

XIII-2's biggest downgrade from FFXIII is the sheer min-maxing nature of its character progression system (which goes for the humans *and* for the monster party members). But yeah, it's also crazy easy in comparison (the single thing FFXIII does best in the series, outside of basic graphical quality, is that it is phenomenally well balanced and has an excellent difficulty curve - though of course it also makes a lot of huge sacrifices to make that happen, which IMO weren't worth it).

The only reason I'm playing through FFXIII is because people say FFXIII-2 is good. Thought it would be weird to play the sequel without trying the original. Though I feel like I should have went straight to FFXIII-2.

That it is an improvement at all would depend on who you ask. To me, XIII-2 does even more wrong than XIII and screws up what it did right. The difficulty was nerfed, all roles outside of Ravager/Commando were nerfed, the story is worse (in my opinion), they copy and pasted environments from XIII as many as 4 times with most areas being copied (sometimes verbatim; aka they didn't even bother with the minor weather changes) at least twice, the visuals are a step down, they actually integrated backtracking as a plot point (I laughed my ass off when I found out they actually tried to justify backtracking), the towns and minigames are half assed, the Historia Crux feels like a Level Select screen rather than an actual cohesive world... I really have very little good to say about XIII-2. I would praise the monster system, but the game was so easy I rarely used it (Feral Links were glorified QTE's anyway) and I'm not one much for Min/Maxxing which, if you are, is where it's at. Noel was the lone bright spot. I could go on about the potential in the story telling elements that was squandered, but I don't want to ramble.

wmlk

I played XIII, did not play XIII-2 out of choice.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna keep powering through FFXIII for now, hope to try FFXIII-2 soon.

XIII-2 is a lot more open, you can actually customize all your characters in any way you want to (though the game is ridiculously easily so its kind of pointless), there are actual (kind) side quests. Basically take all the issues people have with XIII and they kind of fixed them, but not that well.

Also Noel is better than all of XIII's cast combined sans Sazh.

I like open, this appeals to me. Also nice to know that Noel is a good character.

XIII-2's biggest downgrade from FFXIII is the sheer min-maxing nature of its character progression system (which goes for the humans *and* for the monster party members). But yeah, it's also crazy easy in comparison (the single thing FFXIII does best in the series, outside of basic graphical quality, is that it is phenomenally well balanced and has an excellent difficulty curve - though of course it also makes a lot of huge sacrifices to make that happen, which IMO weren't worth it).

Hmm, honestly I'm hating the Crystarium system, so I don't mind min-maxing. The thing about the Crystarium system that is annoys me is its linearity. It looks nice and open but in reality your just dumping points here and there, then occasionally going off the beaten path for some more stats. I think the Sphere Grid spoiled me since I can customize it's nodes.

The balance is indeed a great thing about FFXIII, I don't mind if the game is easier.

That it is an improvement at all would depend on who you ask. To me, XIII-2 does even more wrong than XIII and screws up what it did right. The difficulty was nerfed, all roles outside of Ravager/Commando were nerfed, the story is worse (in my opinion), they copy and pasted environments from XIII as many as 4 times with most areas being copied (sometimes verbatim; aka they didn't even bother with the minor weather changes) at least twice, the visuals are a step down, they actually integrated backtracking as a plot point (I laughed my ass off when I found out they actually tried to justify backtracking), the towns and minigames are half assed, the Historia Crux feels like a Level Select screen rather than an actual cohesive world... I really have very little good to say about XIII-2. I would praise the monster system, but the game was so easy I rarely used it (Feral Links were glorified QTE's anyway) and I'm not one much for Min/Maxxing which, if you are, is where it's at. Noel was the lone bright spot. I could go on about the potential in the story telling elements that was squandered, but I don't want to ramble.

At this point, story is the least of my concerns. The copy and pasting of environments is gross. Though FFX-2 is the only other FF where I had that problem.

Personally, I had more fun with XIII-2 than I did XIII simply because of the added exploration and bigger areas. That and I thought the story (while completely bonkers) was more entertaining than that of XIII; it helps that I'm a fan of sci-fi/time travel. Not that the game handles time travel very well, but it had a few interesting ideas even if they were not fleshed out enough. Oh and another big positive for XIII-2 was the villain. Caius is a far better villain than any of the ones in XIII (actually, I'd go so far as to say he's one of my favorite villains in the series now). The Noel/Yeul/Caius dynamic made that game for me. Noel is probably my favorite character in the XIII saga actually - interesting backstory and relationships with other characters and not being a whiney asshat or emotionless drone helped a lot.

I do have some complaints though that others mentioned. The game is easier than XIII unfortunately because there are no level cap limits anymore. You can over-level very easily. The re-use of areas also sucked, but most of the time, those were optional areas, anyways and you didn't *have* to go to them. There are exceptions, of course,
Academia in particular
but for most of the game, I felt like you were progressing into new areas. Oh and the clock puzzles... Fuck those things. Seriously, they were not fun at all.

The ending is... ehh... yeah. I mean, for a
cliffhanger ending
, I thought it was alright. I'm not a fan of those types of endings in general, so... mixed feelings about it. However, the lead up to the actual ending was very cool with some nice boss fights.

Despite the fact that I prefer XIII-2, it does feel like XIII is a more complete game, and you can tell they put a lot more effort into it than the sequels. I think if they had combined what I liked about XIII-2 with what I liked about XIII, it would have made a very good game. Sadly, we just got two very flawed games. You can still have fun with a flawed game, though.

Despite the fact that I prefer XIII-2, it does feel like XIII is a more complete game, and you can tell they put a lot more effort into it than the sequels. I think if they had combined what I liked about XIII-2 with what I liked about XIII, it would have made a very good game. Sadly, we just got two very flawed games. You can still have fun with a flawed game, though.

Man, the FFXIII saga is probably why I've become so burned out on FF. Which is really sad since FF is my favorite JRPG series. They invested so much time and effort into a bunch of flawed games this generation: FFXIII, FFXIII-2,LR:FFXIII, Instead of releasing one great game. What a mess.

Man, the FFXIII saga is probably why I've become so burned out on FF. Which is really sad since FF is my favorite JRPG series. They invested so much time and effort into a bunch of flawed games this generation: FFXIII, FFXIII-2,LR:FFXIII, Instead of releasing one great game. What a mess.

Yeah, Final Fantasy is still my favorite JRPG series, but this gen definitely hurt that a little bit. I am looking forward to FFXV, but I'm a lot more iffy about it than I would have been normally. If you combine the best elements of XIII, XIII-2, and LR, you'd probably have a damn fine game. But like I said, we just ended up with 2 flawed games and one that will probably be just as flawed (if not more so - as you can tell, I don't have high expectations for LR at all. :p). Ah well. Now that LR is coming out, we can finally put this XIII saga behind us and move on. D:

Top Bottom