• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

It's bizarre how stupid Tidus looks in FFX and how awesome he looks in Dissidia.

Which costume are we talking? Because people bitched so much about his default look in Dissidia that Nomura deleted his alt costume and basically dumped his FFX look into Duodecim just to shut them up.

Then he did it to Jecht and Sephiroth, too. Sephiroth is the worst because his costume barely changes in appearance at all. Ever.

Jecht's Dissidia look is super awesome, though.

Xux

Which costume are we talking? Because people bitched so much about his default look in Dissidia that Nomura deleted his alt costume and basically dumped his FFX look into Duodecim just to shut them up.

Then he did it to Jecht and Sephiroth, too. Sephiroth is the worst because his costume barely changes in appearance at all. Ever.

The original Dissidia one. With the better length sleeves and pants and darker colors.

I love the scene in Dissidia where Sephiroth and someone else was about to duel or some BS and Jecht's like "Can I join?" and everyone's just, like, "NOPE."

Wazzy

Banned

Did they? I can't recall noticing a difference in his Duodecim costume. Wait, he was shirtless anyway.

I don't ever notice the differences lol the only one that kind of upset me was Squall and it was because instead of putting his original costume in, they mixed it with his Amano design instead of just starting with his Amano.

Cloud was lucky enough that he just started with his original costume.

CorvoSol

Did they? I can't recall noticing a difference in his Duodecim costume. Wait, he was shirtless anyway.

I don't ever notice the differences lol the only one that kind of upset me was Squall and it was because instead of putting his original costume in, they mixed it with his Amano design instead of just starting with his Amano.

Cloud was lucky enough that he just started with his original costume.

Well I mean Tidus' original Dissidia costume is in, since he wears it in all 013 scenes. Then there's his shirtless alt for 012. And then there's his FFX costume.

Wazzy

Banned
Well I mean Tidus' original Dissidia costume is in, since he wears it in all 013 scenes. Then there's his shirtless alt for 012. And then there's his FFX costume.

Oh I totally forgot his shirtless one was an alt. Weird. I also really liked his Dissidia design but I do prefer the goofy yellow shoes of his original outfit.

Also I love finding good cosplay of characters.

tidus_dissidia_012_cosplay___b__w_by_leon_chiro_by_leonchirocosplayart-d5bk96q.jpg

Like, damn!

Yeah, Final Fantasy is still my favorite JRPG series, but this gen definitely hurt that a little bit. I am looking forward to FFXV, but I'm a lot more iffy about it than I would have been normally. If you combine the best elements of XIII, XIII-2, and LR, you'd probably have a damn fine game. But like I said, we just ended up with 2 flawed games and one that will probably be just as flawed (if not more so - as you can tell, I don't have high expectations for LR at all. :p). Ah well. Now that LR is coming out, we can finally put this XIII saga behind us and move on. D:

You took the words right out of my mouth friend.

FF will continue to be my favorite JRPG series, for now. Persona is definitely sneaking up on it. So happy the XIII saga is over, I remember being so excited when it was revealed along side FF versus XIII, 8 years later I'm just happy it's all over. Kinda. I hope FFXV will bring back that FF magic, but I will echo the sentiments of most posters, It's hard to stay optimistic when we know so little, and the dev times has been this long.

It's bizarre how stupid Tidus looks in FFX and how awesome he looks in Dissidia.

I liked all his looks, Tidus just looks unique and I appreciated that about all his designs.
030210_ffheroes_obs02--article_image.jpg

and lets not forget everyone's favorite Tidus design :p
13.jpg

Tizoc

I've been meaning to ask:
In FF6, your stats don't increase when you level up, or once you reacha certain level, only your HP and MP increase along with the Esper bonus.
How did they come up with this concept and why did they go with it?

CorvoSol

I've been meaning to ask:
In FF6, your stats don't increase when you level up, or once you reacha certain level, only your HP and MP increase along with the Esper bonus.
How did they come up with this concept and why did they go with it?

I'm pretty sure your stats do increase with level ups, since Relm has the highest MAG at level 99?

Ive come to the shocking realization that Vanille is 19 years old.

I've reached Gran Pulse and I'm loving how open it is, It's fun watching all the creatures on screen while running through the vast plains.

Quick questions: What's the best role for each member? Also, is there a specific party I should stick with for the endgame/post game?

aravuus

I'm getting this weird, sick urge to replay XIII and XIII-2, and get LR at the release.

e: well xiii-2 was at least fun-ish to play so i guess i could see myself replaying it some day

CorvoSol

Best party I found was Hope (for his magic), Fang (as a tank) and Lightning for damage.

Hope is better at magic, it's true, but Lightning, Fang, and Vanille was my preferred party. Mostly because I hated Hope. It's a shame Sazh wasn't more useful, or I'd've swapped Vanille for him and had a party made out of XIII's good characters.

I've reached Gran Pulse and I'm loving how open it is, It's fun watching all the creatures on screen while running through the vast plains.

Quick questions: What's the best role for each member? Also, is there a specific party I should stick with for the endgame/post game?

This is just my take, so take it as it is:

Fang = best Commando; Great as a Sentinel, great as a Ravager late game, good as a Saboteur, and okay as a Medic. Makes grinding turtles post game a breeze.

Lightning = best Ravager; She's good as a Commando, is a Medic in a pinch (bad casting speed takes her down a bit), some good Synergist spells late game making her pretty damn good as a Synergist, and can function as Saboteur. You can make her a good Sentinel, but that requires accessories. Basically, an all rounder who can step into any role and do a good job.

Snow = best Sentinel. Good as a Commando. If you want to use Snow as something other than a Sentinel, you have to take advantage of his casting speed (he's the fastest caster by a good margin).

Vanille = best Saboteur. Not as good as Hope as a support character, but isn't as squishy to compensate. Great as a Medic and good as a Ravager. I've heard you can exploit her as a Commando, but to me, if you have to go through the trouble of exploiting the game, it's not worth it.

Sazh = best Synergist. He's a Commando who can't launch and doesn't have most of the auto abilities; a Ravager who misses over half the move set; a Medic who can't raise; and a disappointing Saboteur and Sentinel since he's behind Snow and Fang no matter what and you can build Lightning into a better Sentinel if you want and Vanille, Hope, and Fang steal the show Saboteur wise. I found him situation based.

Hope = best Medic. Can step into any of the support roles with ease. Super squishy.

Late game, I used Lightning/Fang/Hope (gives you access to the most amount of abilities and is a rather safe party) or Fang/Lightning/Vanille. However, playing it this safe can make the game a bit boring, so experiment a bit.

Voror

This may be a loaded question, but is there a general consensus on who the best party members of XIII were, at least in terms of their character.

I liked Sazh the most and I tend to see that opinion shared by most I've seen comments by. Fang was alright too from what I can remember and I don't share the hate I've seen Hope get a lot of. Kid's annoying a lot of times, but he just lost his mom in a pretty traumatic way so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

This may be a loaded question, but is there a general consensus on who the best party members of XIII were, at least in terms of their character.

I liked Sazh the most and I tend to see that opinion shared by most I've seen comments by. Fang was alright too from what I can remember and I don't share the hate I've seen Hope get a lot of. Kid's annoying a lot of times, but he just lost his mom in a pretty traumatic way so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Sazh is the only one who I think isn't terrible.

Everybody else is just way, way too stupid.

I'd cut him some slack if I didn't have to put up with 15 hours of his stupid homicidal tendencies. Yes, he just lost his mom. Doesn't justify the fact that he decided to kill the one person who was actually doing something during the Purge to save people and actually tried to decline Hope's mother on her help on top of nearly died trying to stop her from falling. Snow's an idiot, but Hope just fails at logic (the military killed his mom... TIME TO KILL THE GUY WHO TRIED TO SAVE HER AND DIDN'T WANT HER HELP IN THE FIRST PLACE!), which Lightning pointed out several times (and at the time she loathed the guy, which should have told Hope something).

Otherwise, I liked Lightning, was pretty cool with Sazh, and understood Vanille and why she acted the way she did. I couldn't stand Snow because of the "hero" thing (yes, it was a facade, but that combined with the Serah stuff just annoyed the hell out of me too much), loathed Serah, couldn't stand Hope, and kinda liked Fang but she was way too inconsistent. I might give a much longer explanation for all this when I have more time.

Also, Hope's mom was an idiot for abandoning her son to go fight even though she had no military training and was not urged to do so circumstantially or otherwise.

Snow was completely right when he said what he did. What she did was NOT heroism. I'm sorry but it's true.

That said Snow is still a complete idiot.

Also, whatever fucking happened to all those people anyway?

Voror

I'd cut him some slack if I didn't have to put up with 15 hours of his stupid homicidal tendencies. Yes, he just lost his mom. Doesn't justify the fact that he decided to kill the one person who was actually doing something during the Purge to save people and actually tried to decline Hope's mother on her help on top of nearly died trying to stop her from falling. Snow's an idiot, but Hope just fails at logic (the military killed his mom... TIME TO KILL THE GUY WHO TRIED TO SAVE HER AND DIDN'T WANT HER HELP IN THE FIRST PLACE!), which Lightning pointed out several times (and at the time she loathed the guy, which should have told Hope something).

Otherwise, I liked Lightning, was pretty cool with Sazh, and understood Vanille and why she acted the way she did. I couldn't stand Snow because of the "hero" thing (yes, it was a facade, but that combined with the Serah stuff just annoyed the hell out of me too much), loathed Serah, couldn't stand Hope, and kinda liked Fang but she was way too inconsistent. I might give a much longer explanation for all this when I have more time.

True, my memory is shoddy on some of that. I think part of it might be that I simply didn't care enough to keep it in memory. What exactly were they going for with his whole character anyway?

I'm largely just neutral on Lightning honestly. She bugged me sometimes, but didn't do anything too offensive that I can recall. Her punching Snow in the face several times also helped.

Vanille I got too, but it didn't change the fact that she was so goddamn annoying to me much of the time.

Snow just pissed me off most of the time except for the few occasions where he was actually talking sense.

Also, Hope's mom was an idiot for abandoning her son to go fight even though she had no military training and was not urged to do so circumstantially or otherwise.

Snow was completely right when he said what he did. What she did was NOT heroism. I'm sorry but it's true.

That said Snow is still a complete idiot.

Also, whatever fucking happened to all those people anyway?

Yes, this was one of the few times he actually came across as right to me.

I sort of assumed they all got killed or something.

Gaz_RB

Lightning/Sazh(dat haste)/Vanille all day. Dream squad.

Only wusses use Sentinels.

I would think so too, but Team NORA survived.

Team NORA...survived.

And that is worse than everyone else dying in my opinion.

I liked Team Nora in 13-2!

Thanks for the help everyone, I will take it all into consideration and put it into good use.

Dude! Snow isn't stupid! He is a hero! Come on!

Seriously though, while everyone kinda sucks in one way or another Team NORA is by far the lamest group of characters ever. They are all the dumbest looking bunch of idiots ever.

Edit: You got a wanna be Wakka, a guy with an ugly shade of blue hair, some dumb kid, and a cute chick who looks like she should be in FFX. NORA sounds more like a wrestling federation anyway: No Obligations, Rules, or Authority!

Gaz_RB

Thanks for the help everyone, I will take it all into consideration and put it into good use.

Dude! Snow isn't stupid! He is a hero! Come on!

Seriously though, while everyone kinda sucks in one way or another Team NORA is by far the lamest group of characters ever. They are all the dumbest looking bunch of idiots ever.

they're pretty dumb, that's for sure. They're a bit more endearing in 13-2 though, I think.

CorvoSol

No, there isn't, but my view is: Fang > Sazh = Lightning.

Everybody else is shit. Especially Snow. Fucking Snow is horrible.

Wazzy

Banned
The only people I like in XIII from the main cast are Fang, Vanille and Sazh.

Snow has such a great design which is bogged down by his shitty obnoxious attitude and awful writing.

I don't think I need to go into detail as to how boring and horribly written Lightning is.

On the topic of Team Nora, I actually don't mind the designs except for the blue haired guy who looks awful. It's how they're written and their role in the story that makes me hate them.

That's not photoshopped in?

If not: They took one of their shittiest assets and reused it?

Nope, it's in that bit when you have Fang leader and Lightning supporting, around when Hope tries to kill Snow and they get predictably interrupted by some missiles and Snow saves him on the way down. I felt like such a hunter when I found it!

First time for me playing through FF13. It's absurdly gorgeous. I actually quite like the battle system, it's a natural evolution of FF12's (although I wish it by default did auto-whatever without me having to push x twice). I love how shifting paradigms is instanteous; makes for fun seat-of-your-pants times.

The pacing of the game is a joke though. Battle -> cutscene where characters poorly debate their motivations for x -> battle repeat. The actual basic storyline is fine, but the problem is because you never talk to NPCs or anything, the storyline can only be delivered through dialogue between the main characters, which is awkward as hell. There's also no sense of tonal variety, it's just this constant extreme melodrama.

Also.. why has nothing happened in the last 15 hours? Escape from the train, get turned into l'Cie - but since then we've just been wandering slowly through Cocoon fighting stuff while painfully debating each other's motives every 5 minutes. Stuff better happen soon!

Wazzy

Banned
Nope, it's in that bit when you have Fang leader and Lightning supporting, around when Hope tries to kill Snow and they get predictably interrupted by some missiles and Snow saves him on the way down. I felt like such a hunter when I found it!

First time for me playing through FF13. It's absurdly gorgeous. I actually quite like the battle system, it's a natural evolution of FF12's (although I wish it by default did auto-whatever without me having to push x twice). I love how shifting paradigms is instanteous; makes for fun seat-of-your-pants times.

The pacing of the game is a joke though. Battle -> cutscene where characters poorly debate their motivations for x -> battle repeat. The actual basic storyline is fine, but the problem is because you never talk to NPCs or anything, the storyline can only be delivered through dialogue between the main characters, which is awkward as hell. There's also no sense of tonal variety, it's just this constant extreme melodrama.

There's a few people that hate the battle system but I actually really enjoyed it. It's one of my favourite parts about the game. It's fast and switching paradigms into different combinations was fun even if the standard RVG/RVG/COM was the easiest.

Wazzy

Banned
I only used Vanille in the Neochu fight...man that was like the worst fight I ever fought in that game.

It truly was. I remember laughing at people saying it was hard, thinking "oh please it can't be that bad"

I go into the fight and those fucking mini ones killed me immediately. Second try and I get killed by Neochu. At least 15 times until Vanilles death finally worked.

It truly was. I remember laughing at people saying it was hard, thinking "oh please it can't be that bad"

I go into the fight and those fucking mini ones killed me immediately. Second try and I get killed by Neochu. At least 15 times until Vanilles death finally worked.

It took me a good 2 hours for Death to land...I thought I had the fight wrapped up, then I remembered all those little suckers still hitting poor Fang...UGH.

There's a few people that hate the battle system but I actually really enjoyed it. It's one of my favourite parts about the game. It's fast and switching paradigms into different combinations was fun even if the standard RVG/RVG/COM was the easiest.

Yeah, It's whats keeping me playing, the battle system. It's fun juggling paradigms, watching the stagger bar fill, and watching numbers rack up.

New question: I've been reading that the best way to farm CP is through those giant turtle things. Most of these strategies involve Vanille casting Death. Is really the best way to farm CP?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of 13-2, started that yesterday. Up to Chapter 2. Finished Atlus/demo boss. Question: Is there any guide available for the square-"one-time-only(?)"-in-that-time-zone-only boxes? I'm wanting to make sure I don't miss any, but if I have to rush through the time-zones and then go back and mop up, I guess I'll do that.

Yeah, It's whats keeping me playing, the battle system. It's fun juggling paradigms, watching the stagger bar fill, and watching numbers rack up.

New question: I've been reading that the best way to farm CP is through those giant turtle things. Most of these strategies involve Vanille casting Death. Is really the best way to farm CP?

Yes, but Adamantoises are extremely hard to battle and not really worth the effort. You need to get the ribbon from the "hunts" of 13. The second mission, IIRC that doubles the AP and then you have to farm the turtles for more of those AP gain accessories for your party or something. A total bore.

Yes, but Adamantoises are extremely hard to battle and not really worth the effort. You need to get the ribbon from the "hunts" of 13. The second mission, IIRC that doubles the AP and then you have to farm the turtles for more of those AP gain accessories for your party or something. A total bore.

Thanks, will look into finding item that doubles CP.

Top Bottom