• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Has there been any news whether FFXV will still be set in the same universe as the XIII series?

FFXV will just share the same mythology as XIII, nothing else. Just like Final Fantasy Type-0 shares the same mythology, but takes place in a wildly different world from XIII. The mythology is the only thing connecting the FNC games together.

Which is more of a connection than the Lightning Saga really has.

Voror

Sword Art Online. It is one of the best anime I have ever seen.

ibb6uxWvMZeoXu.gif

I didn't see the gif at first so I actually thought you were serious.

In fairness, even with it's horrible 2nd half that features the protagonist abandoning his girlfriend to go on virtual dates with the sister he refuses to flat out say he will not fuck and the tentacle rape sequences and the hilariously sexist treatment of women, Sword Art Online is still not the worst anime I've ever seen.

That'd be Eureka Seven Astral Ocean. Because as much as I hate a lot of anime, Astral Ocean is the only one to hate me back.

The first half is pretty good with problems, but goddamn that second half. Seriously Japan I think we need to have a talk about the tentacles and incest.

That show...I can't.

But Eureka Seven was pretty good, why was the sequel so bad?

It's hard to explain in full but the two things that comes to mind are an incredibly irritating character who was unfortunately a major character. And an ending that retroactively ruins the ending of the original series.

CorvoSol

I didn't see the gif at first so I actually thought you were serious.

The first half is pretty good with problems, but goddamn that second half. Seriously Japan I think we need to have a talk about the tentacles and incest.

That show...I can't.

It's hard to explain in full but the two things that comes to mind are an incredibly irritating character who was unfortunately a major character. And an ending that retroactively ruins the ending of the original series.

1. I didn't post the gif at first cuz I wanted people to think I was serious.

2. In honesty I thought the 1st half was best described as "tolerable" but if I was 15 I probably would've eaten the 1st half up. The second half is horrible. "My name is Kirito and I am too busy dating my little sister to save my sort of wife." I thought, at first, that Asuna wasn't that bad of a character, but as the show removed all of her good traits and reduced her to Kirito's handy napkin, she lost any real worth as a character and joined the cast in the echelons of shit.

3. Astral Ocean sucks because TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH and then suddenly taking a massive dump on Eureka Seven and contradicting NUMEROUS elements of the original show.

Voror

1. I didn't post the gif at first cuz I wanted people to think I was serious.

2. In honesty I thought the 1st half was best described as "tolerable" but if I was 15 I probably would've eaten the 1st half up. The second half is horrible. "My name is Kirito and I am too busy dating my little sister to save my sort of wife." I thought, at first, that Asuna wasn't that bad of a character, but as the show removed all of her good traits and reduced her to Kirito's handy napkin, she lost any real worth as a character and joined the cast in the echelons of shit.

3. Astral Ocean sucks because TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH and then suddenly taking a massive dump on Eureka Seven and contradicting NUMEROUS elements of the original show.

Even before seeing the gif I wondered if you were going for that.

Indeed, there's a lot of good ideas and concepts in that first half that simply aren't explored. I do rather wish that the original books had been more of an ensemble cast instead of being so largely focused on Kirito. His friends I found way more interesting much of the time. Eh, I don't know if I'd call it dating so much as using her as a means to readily understand the new world and he did get through things quite fast based on a hunch.To be fair, the show did that to pretty much anyone from the first half who had an interesting character.

Fuck that guy. Except
Archtype Truth
. That guy was a major improvement for the short time he was around. I think what pisses me off the most was that it technically made
Dewey right

In fairness, even with it's horrible 2nd half that features the protagonist abandoning his girlfriend to go on virtual dates with the sister he refuses to flat out say he will not fuck and the tentacle rape sequences and the hilariously sexist treatment of women, Sword Art Online is still not the worst anime I've ever seen.

That'd be Eureka Seven Astral Ocean. Because as much as I hate a lot of anime, Astral Ocean is the only one to hate me back.

???

Voror

I sort of feel that Code Geass R2 did that. I really liked the first season despite its flaws, but that fucking second season destroyed everything.

Actually, could that metaphor be used in discussing what SE has been doing to Final Fantasy?

CorvoSol

I sort of feel that Code Geass R2 did that. I really liked the first season despite its flaws, but that fucking second season destroyed everything.

Actually, could that metaphor be used in discussing what SE has been doing to Final Fantasy?

R2 works if you embrace the madness.

Which I did. Because CLAMP did.

It's the only way people wouldn't realize that Lelouch was a worthless sack of shit and Suzaku was the true hero.

Voror

R2 works if you embrace the madness.

Which I did. Because CLAMP did.

It's the only way people wouldn't realize that Lelouch was a worthless sack of shit and Suzaku was the true hero.

I can't though.

I thought they were both jerks to a degree, though Suzaku more in the first season for being so damn naive all the time. Then they made him stupid jackass in R2. I thought the whole thing might go for a redemption plot. They seemed to think they were doing that, but in reality failed at it.

Technically he hit EW twice, Impale and then uppercut. You lied to me!

Haha! tricked you!!

I think that was pretty cool though, since most overflow glitches I've seen have just been Barret or Vincent. I really want to try that out. I never thought the Hero's Drinks did anything useful, also Yoshiyuki (think that's the sword name) looks pretty badass when used for Climhazzard.

Question guy: I've reached some strange tower where I have to do some monster hunting. How far am I from beating FFXIII?

CorvoSol

Haha! tricked you!!

I think that was pretty cool though, since most overflow glitches I've seen have just been Barret or Vincent. I really want to try that out. I never thought the Hero's Drinks did anything useful, also Yoshiyuki (think that's the sword name) looks pretty badass when used for Climhazzard.

Question guy: I've reached some strange tower where I have to do some monster hunting. How far am I from beating FFXIII?

If you keep walking forward for another 10 hours or so you should be at the final boss.

JCG

I thought the whole thing might go for a redemption plot. They seemed to think they were doing that, but in reality failed at it.

Opinions, but I'd have to disagree. It's less of a traditional redemption and more like a JRPG villain actually getting away with his plans. For some that's a negative, for others it's a positive. Which I think actually worked and fits a few pre-existing themes, so for me Code Geass R2 will never be on the same level of disappointment as Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean. That one really does ruin the whole point of E7.

*heavy sigh* Alright, hope to rush through it tonight.

Nice Lumina avatar by the way, is she the long lost Farron sister?

Oho...I will let Corvo explain about Lumina.

Oh, don't worry, there's a good part coming up, you shouldn't rush through that. Though, I don't remember a tower in FF XIII. That game's so forgettable.

Tejin's Tower...part of it had fallen over. It's a cool looking area actually.

Corvo plz.

He has to stop to watch cutscenes.

Oh I'm sorry, my finger slipped.

Forward for 20 hours.

Oh, don't worry, there's a good part coming up, you shouldn't rush through that. Though, I don't remember a tower in FF XIII. That game's so forgettable.

I don't know what it is honestly. I just see a bunch of statues that are tasking me to kill some monsters, like the Cei'th stone missions.

Edit: Anywhere I can buy some more of those Aegisol, Fortisol, etc items? They are really useful.

HAHA I've seen Eva millions of times and played FF7 millions of times.. and yet I never managed to put the Type D Equipment thing together.

/feeling foolish

CorvoSol

Oho...I will let Corvo explain about Lumina.

Honestly I haven't really bothered to follow LR. XIII-2's ending really, really soured me on the entire IP. I assume, though, that her resemblance to Serah is too close to not be intentional because I don't expect Toriyama to be able to make a character who is meant to be Serah and not make it painfully obvious because I don't believe the man has any idea what subtle means (though the concepts of vague and inexplicable are certainly his forte).

Honestly I haven't really bothered to follow LR. XIII-2's ending really, really soured me on the entire IP. I assume, though, that her resemblance to Serah is too close to not be intentional because I don't expect Toriyama to be able to make a character who is meant to be Serah and not make it painfully obvious because I don't believe the man has any idea what subtle means (though the concepts of vague and inexplicable are certainly his forte).

You mean to tell me you don't know about Lumina, Corvo? Oh man you're in for a Toriyama treat. (Not the good kind) :3

CorvoSol

You mean to tell me you don't know about Lumina, Corvo? Oh man you're in for a Toriyama treat. (Not the good kind) :3

I actually have no idea about anything related to LR, aside from the way the game plays. Like I said, when it bombs and I can get it for 9 bucks a month later, then I'll buy it and you can all experience my horror then.

Voror

Opinions, but I'd have to disagree. It's less of a traditional redemption and more like a JRPG villain actually getting away with his plans. For some that's a negative, for others it's a positive. Which I think actually worked and fits a few pre-existing themes, so for me Code Geass R2 will never be on the same level of disappointment as Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean. That one really does ruin the whole point of E7.

Hmm, I can see that perspective on it I suppose. The plan was quite stupid though in my eyes due to all the myriad ways it falls apart when you consider the global implications, which was one of the things that bugged me so much.

True, and I think part of it is owed to the fact that E7 had a definite conclusion, which was followed by AO as a sequel series whereas R2 was a continuation of a running story that had not concluded with the first season. I can also blame Sunrise's meddling to a degree with R2 while I have no idea what the hell happened with AO.

Where's that creepy gif of Lumina where she's got that weird smile?

Seda

I actually have no idea about anything related to LR, aside from the way the game plays. Like I said, when it bombs and I can get it for 9 bucks a month later, then I'll buy it and you can all experience my horror then.

This is my stance as well. I have no idea what LR /is/ when it comes to the characters or how it connects to the other games. But I'm not in a rush to find out, I'll play it eventually.

I'm on 5th teir of this Taejin's Tower thing in FFXIII, I still got all of FFXIII-2 to play before experiencing Waifu Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. The only thing interesting me in Lightning Returns is the combat systems and playing dress up.

CorvoSol

This is my stance as well. I have no idea what LR /is/ when it comes to the characters or how it connects to the other games. But I'm not in a rush to find out, I'll play it eventually.

I mostly just don't care about the game. Like, I hate XIII now, so I haven't bothered to follow up on it. I'll play it when it's in the trash bin so I can see how high the smoke rises from the trainwreck, but at this point, the only FFs I care about are Type-0, Bravely Default and XV, and I use the word "care" very, very loosely for XV since I "care" about it about as much as I do the 2048 Summer Olympics.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Same here and that's coming from someone who bought the Crystal Edition of XIII-2.

I mostly just don't care about the game. Like, I hate XIII now, so I haven't bothered to follow up on it. I'll play it when it's in the trash bin so I can see how high the smoke rises from the trainwreck, but at this point, the only FFs I care about are Type-0, Bravely Default and XV, and I use the word "care" very, very loosely for XV since I "care" about it about as much as I do the 2048 Summer Olympics.

:,(

Seda

It's like Christmas 2 years from now. You go "Oh that'll be nice, I bet, but there's no point in being excited for it NOW."

That's pretty much how I view most things, when it comes to games anyway. I didn't care much about Bravely Default until the demo came out. I don't really 'anticipate' games. I just try some that look interesting when they are out.

I also dislike speculation about games we don't know much about - some people love to speculate what Persona 5 is gonna be about, I'd rather just forget it exists until they release some actual info.

Anyways, having just played Final Fantasy V, and Bravely Default hitting many similar notes, I will say I suppose I am anticipating that on the short term.

Voror

I just thought of something hilarious. What if The Last Guardian comes out before XV? I have no idea why I find the thought funny as hell but I do.

I feel like I'm more excited by the very idea that XV could be good, but that thought is immediately tempered by the more cynical thought it won't. It is far easier to consider things like BD and Type-0 since they're so much more tangible and assuring that they'll be enjoyable experiences.

What does SE have coming out soonish anyway? BD, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Thief is all I can think of.

I just thought of something hilarious. What if The Last Guardian comes out before XV? I have no idea why I find the thought funny as hell but I do.

I feel like I'm more excited by the very idea that XV could be good, but that thought is immediately tempered by the more cynical thought it won't. It is far easier to consider things like BD and Type-0 since they're so much more tangible and assuring that they'll be enjoyable experiences.

What does SE have coming out soonish anyway? BD, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Thief is all I can think of.

I would be alright with that.

So happy about 2.5, can't wait to try KH2:FM, I hear it's better than the original in almost every way. Also BBS on a console sounds really fun. PSP always cramps my hand after a few hours.

Voror

So happy about 2.5, can't wait to try KH2:FM, I hear it's better than the original in almost every way. Also BBS on a console sounds really fun. PSP always cramps my hand after a few hours.

Yeah, I can't say I'd mind much either, but the thought seems funny to me given both have had really long development times and I can't see either living up the hype given to them.

I am as well as I really enjoyed going through the first game again. This will be my first time with BBS actually.

CorvoSol

That's pretty much how I view most things, when it comes to games anyway. I didn't care much about Bravely Default until the demo came out. I don't really 'anticipate' games. I just try some that look interesting when they are out.

I also dislike speculation about games we don't know much about - some people love to speculate what Persona 5 is gonna be about, I'd rather just forget it exists until they release some actual info.

Anyways, having just played Final Fantasy V, and Bravely Default hitting many similar notes, I will say I suppose I am anticipating that on the short term.

Yeah, I don't do a lot of getting super hyped for releases anymore. I still get excited for things, though. Like Super Robot Wars Z3 is going to feature one of my favorite series in it, so I'm excited. But it's not like FFXIII where I'd eat, breathe, and sleep speculation for that and Dissidia.

Seda

Out of all the remasters I'll be trying this year (Symphonia, FFX, KH2.5) Kingdom Hearts is definitely the one that seems most interesting to me. I didn't like KH2 much at all, mostly because it was pathetically simple. KHFM definitely improved the difficulty a bit, and I hope the Final Mix (and perhaps other) additions to KH2 can dissolve the sour taste that game left.

And yes, being able to play BBS, which has the best gameplay in the series, with a controller is definitely appealing too.

Hey everyone :] I just started GAF today. I'm a huge FF fan so I gravitated over here pretty quickly! My favorite of the series are 8, 9, 10 and 11! I hope we can be friends and stuff!

Yeah, I can't say I'd mind much either, but the thought seems funny to me given both have had really long development times and I can't see either living up the hype given to them.

I am as well as I really enjoyed going through the first game again. This will be my first time with BBS actually.

Considering how cynical GAF is towards both games, I think they will do just fine.

And yes I am very much looking forward to KH2.5. Easily one of my most anticipated this year along with Xillia 2 and Persona 5. KH2 I absolutely love and BbS is amazing with some of the strongest characters to come out of the series and out of Square Enix. Aqua is easily one of the strongest female characters Nomura has ever created.

That is kinda funny if you think about it, both have been taking forever, and the longer we wait, the less we care.

I enjoyed playing through KH again on PS3. 1.5 was my first time with the Final Mix version, I kinda liked the original release more honestly. The brighter colored heartless looked like toys, and hunting for Ultima weapon materials was a PAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEEEE.

Top Bottom