• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

Gundams, Zeon Mobile Suits, LFOs, Evangelions, Knightmare Frames, Tomaydo, Tomahhdo.

Well, technically all Gundams ARE Mobile Suits. Except the ones in G, which are Mobile Fighters. It's just the Zeon never built Gundams, and they spent their entire existence living in fear of 'em.

Also I'm surprised and ashamed that you left out Arm Slaves. Have you not watched Full Metal Panic!? Because if you haven't, boy have I got a treat for you.

Well, technically all Gundams ARE Mobile Suits. Except the ones in G, which are Mobile Fighters. It's just the Zeon never built Gundams, and they spent their entire existence living in fear of 'em.

Also I'm surprised and ashamed that you left out Arm Slaves. Have you not watched Full Metal Panic!? Because if you haven't, boy have I got a treat for you.

I'm not familiar with the Gundam universe with Zeon, those are the older animes correct? Unfortunately I've only completed Gundam Wing and G Gundam. G-Gundam was insane. Loved its absolute stupidity and bombastic nature. Hated characters like Chibodi. Domon's monologues are incredible.

No I have not seen Full Metal Panic!? Every time I see that title I want to watch Full Metal Alchemist.

CorvoSol

I'm not familiar with the Gundam universe with Zeon, those are the older animes correct? Unfortunately I've only completed Gundam Wing and G Gundam. G-Gundam was insane. Loved its absolute stupidity and bombastic nature. Hated characters like Chibodi. Domon's monologues are incredible.

No I have not seen Full Metal Panic!? Every time I see that title I want to watch Full Metal Alchemist.

G is incredible and hands down the best Gundam. The original Gundam timeline isn't that bad. It's notable though because almost never do the bad guys use Gundams.

And if you like giant robot shows, cheesy 80s action flicks, and/or high school romantic comedies, I highly recommend Full Metal Panic! The franchise is hands down my favorite anime ever.

G is incredible and hands down the best Gundam. The original Gundam timeline isn't that bad. It's notable though because almost never do the bad guys use Gundams.

And if you like giant robot shows, cheesy 80s action flicks, and/or high school romantic comedies, I highly recommend Full Metal Panic! The franchise is hands down my favorite anime ever.

My good friend thinks G Gundam is the best Gundam also. I appreciate that it is basically Dragon Ball Z with robots. Domon basically turns super saiyan if I remember right. Bad guys not using Gundams, huh, that's pretty fascinating.

Sign. Me. Up. Giant robots, check. Cheesy 80s action, check. high school romantic comedy, check. Sounds like the greatest anime ever. Will check out sometime.

CorvoSol

Never played those games, are they any good?

Is Xenosaga related to Xenogears?

Xenoblade and Xenosaga are spiritual successors to Xenogears. I'm playing Xenogears right now, and it's really, really dated. That's about the best way to describe it. I also feel that the difficulty is stupid high during boss fights in mecha sequences.

Front Mission I played a little of and it was balls hard, but apparently the first 4 entries in the series were okay. It was when Toriyama went and raped it to death with Evolved that it sucked.

There were so many Squaresoft games I wanted to try as a kid, but never got the chance. Xenogears, those Front Mission games, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, etc etc. It's amazing how diverse Squaresoft's PS1 game catalog was compared to what he have been getting during the PS3/360/Wii generation Square Enix.

Voror

All y'all need to watch Full Metal Panic!

And then post in the anime community thread about it.

I'll get on that at some point. Got to watch Megazone 23 so I can return the DVDs to my friend. And maybe watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex since he also lent me the original Ghost in the Shell movie to watch for the first time and I now have the urge to do so.

Red Mage

Xenoblade and Xenosaga are spiritual successors to Xenogears. I'm playing Xenogears right now, and it's really, really dated. That's about the best way to describe it. I also feel that the difficulty is stupid high during boss fights in mecha sequences.

Front Mission I played a little of and it was balls hard, but apparently the first 4 entries in the series were okay. It was when Toriyama went and raped it to death with Evolved that it sucked.

Wait til you get to the final dungeon. Hope you save money up for all those mech upgrades. ^_~

Noi

Except for Schala, I recommend it to everyone. I don't recommend it to Schala because my heart couldn't take seeing her rip it in twain.

zJ1ZXMj.png

CorvoSol

Wait til you get to the final dungeon. Hope you save money up for all those mech upgrades. ^_~

At the moment I've basically just stopped playing Xenogears. I'll come back to it some day the way I'll come back to Super Mario RPG.

My plan for the near future is the following games:

Persona 4 Golden (New Game +)
Persona 3 Portable (Male and Female)
Bravely Default Flying Fairy
Final Fantasy Type-0
Dragon Quest 4
Tales of the Abyss.

And in the far future Gundam Breaker, Pokemon X (assuming Bank ever comes out) and Super Robot Wars Z3.

That's it for me for the next while, though, I think.

HOT.

DAMN.

HOT.

DAMN.

Schala just gained like, 10k in my book.

CorvoSol

How many eps?

Full Metal Panic is in 4 parts.

Full Metal Panic! which is 24 episodes and by Gonzo, so the animation is kinda so-so. Sets up everything.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!! is 12 episodes, and by KyoAni, so the animation has improved. Is notably NOT a mecha series, but serves to sort of flesh out the hero and heroine.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid is 13 episodes and an OVA, also by KyoAni, and is glorious.

Full Metal Panic! Sigma is a manga of 19 volumes, the first 3-4 of which cover things already adapted into the anime, and the remaining 15 volumes containing the conclusion of the story.

And here is a .gif of why I love the show:

The other key question is...is the animegaf community sane?

No, and that is exactly why you should join it.

Xenogears is amazing but it's not for everyone.

So Xenogears doesn't hold up anymore these days? I always thought it was some kind of hidden PS1 JRPG masterpiece. How about Vagrant Story?

Here is a .gif from my favorite anime Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Evangelionwhackhead.gif

Watching it has more or less the same effect on viewers brain.

Seda

I didn't care for Xenogears at all. That's probably the one opinion of mine that is the most 'controversial'. I put up with it until the second disc when there was text box after text boss, followed by a boss fight, followed by textbox after textbox, followed shortly by another boss fight. Felt like the game forgot it was a game. And the text moves so slow too.

Vagrant Story has an excellent script, characters, and narrative in general. But the load times and inventory limits really soured that for me as well.

CorvoSol

I didn't care for Xenogears at all. That's probably the one opinion of mine that is the most 'controversial'. I put up with it until the second disc when there was text box after text boss, followed by a boss fight, followed by textbox after textbox, followed shortly by another boss fight. Felt like the game forgot it was a game. And the text moves so slow too.

Vagrant Story has an excellent script, characters, and narrative in general. But the load times and inventory limits really soured that for me as well.

I'm in this boring ass arena prison city and it's just so dull I don't even know what they were thinking with it.

Hmm, I'll hold off on playing those games then. Long load times and limited inventories have always been a turn off for me, they are the reasons why I hated Legend of the Dragoon.

How about Valkyrie Profile? I've only played a few hours of Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and liked what I played, but never got around to finishing it.

CorvoSol

Hmm, I'll hold off on playing those games then. Long load times and limited inventories have always been a turn off for me, they are the reasons why I hated Legend of the Dragoon.

How about Valkyrie Profile? I've only played a few hours of Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria and liked what I played, but never got around to finishing it.

I played like 5 minutes of it and never looked back, haha.

You played Legend of the Dragoon for only 5 minutes? Smart.

I beat it to prove a point to a couple of friends who said LoD is better than FFIX. NOPE FFIX > LoD. Played both, and I can confirm that my friends were wrong. They did not play FFIX because it was "too slow" and the characters were "deformed." I told them "why they hell are you guys playing LoD? that game's battles take an entire eternity to load, the combat itself is self indulgently slow, and Its characters, while not "deformed" were boring as hell.

It's still a bit of a pet peeve of mine that people don't give FFIX a chance because of the character design. They are probably some of the funniest, and most realized characters I have had the pleasure of adventuring with. I do understand if someone doesn't want to play it because the combat is a bit slow, but then again it's not LoD slow...

Seda

Valkyrie Profile I did like, but follow a guide. There's a lot of things you *will* miss if you don't. Some story events, and even the true ending of the game are not quite intuitive to find on your own.

Xux

I remember thinking Silmeria was absolutely beautiful and wished Final Fantasy went back to static camera angles.

Voror

Wait, is the original Valkyrie Profile on PSN? Or do you just have a copy? I managed to get the second at a good price, but the original is insanely expensive wherever I look.

Valkyrie Profile I did like, but follow a guide. There's a lot of things you *will* miss if you don't. Some story events, and even the true ending of the game are not quite intuitive to find on your own.

Alright, guided play through it is.

No, I meant Valkyrie Profile. It was around the same time I started really getting into SMT4, so my attention was taken away from it.

So you have NEVER played Legend of the Dragoon. Smart.

Wait, is the original Valkyrie Profile on PSN? Or do you just have a copy? I managed to get the second at a good price, but the original is insanely expensive wherever I look.

Edit: No, I just have a PSP copy, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

Noi

Every day I feel like /I'm/ the weirder person for having absolutely no problems with Xenogears, Babel Tower aside. I've played way worse games to let Gear's faults get to me.

Edit: LoD is one of my favorite "bad" PS1 RPGs. :(

CorvoSol

Every day I feel like /I'm/ the weirder person for having absolutely no problems with Xenogears, Babel Tower aside. I've played way worse games to let Gear's faults get to me.

I played Sonic 06. It doesn't change that Gears is lacking in polish.

While I'm nowhere near LoD's biggest supporter, it wasn't all bad. I thought Additions were pretty fun, the graphics were amazing for a PS1 game, and the battle music was pretty rockin. A sequel or spiritual successor with quicker battles and unlimited inventory space would be pretty awesome.

Noi

LoD takes a bit to get going, especially if its your first play-through and you don't know what's coming up ahead. Mid-disc 2 is when I feel like the game finally really starts going, with the whole Divine Dragon arc being the best part of the game.

I played Sonic 06. It doesn't change that Gears is lacking in polish.

Probably should have specified RPGs instead of just games, haha. I dunno, I just feel like Gear's lesser faults are a bit overstated sometimes. I've still yet to play an RPG that lets me mix it up with attack strings of my own creation quite like Gears and Legaia did.

CorvoSol

LoD takes a bit to get going, especially if its your first play-through and you don't know what's coming up ahead. Mid-disc 2 is when I feel like the game finally really starts going, with the whole Divine Dragon arc being the best part of the game.

Probably should have specified RPGs instead of just games, haha. I dunno, I just feel like Gear's lesser faults are a bit overstated sometimes. I've still yet to play an RPG that lets me mix it up with attack strings of my own creation quite like Gears and Legaia did.

I don't think Xenogears is BAD, exactly, overrated yes, dated yes, but bad no. Honestly I just felt that it was sort of clunky, poorly localized and poorly paced. Like I cannot let go of how thoroughly boring the segment of the game I'm at is.

CorvoSol

First game over in FFV. Fuck you Garula.

Bro you don't even know yet. FFV's Final Boss is the last time Final Fantasy even had a Final Boss. Because every final boss since 5 has been dead in the first turn.

But even if you max out so that Bartz and company have all the best abilities, he ain't gonna just keel over and die.

Zeromus is still the hardest, though. That or all versions after the SNES have just made him stupid harder.

Noi

I've only ever found Zeromus SNES/PS1 "hard" because I tend to steamroll everything else in the game and skip most of the fights in the Lunar Subterrane so I always reach him while underleveled. Big Bangs hurt when every single ones leave you at 3 digit health or dead.

CorvoSol

I've only ever found Zeromus SNES/PS1 "hard" because I tend to steamroll everything else in the game and skip most of the fights in the Lunar Subterrane so I always reach him while underleveled. Big Bangs hurt when every single ones leave you at 3 digit health or dead.

I dunno, DS Zeromus is a bitch. He's like "Oh did you hit me with Cry and are you charging up Darkness and 4x Focus? BIG BANG MOTHER LOVER!!!!!!!!!!" PSP Zeromus was worse cuz you couldn't even stack Darkness and Focus.

Flip side is that while PSP Babil's fight is a cinch, DS Babil is a fight I refuse to believe can be won.

Top Bottom