• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Voror

Yeah, I don't do a lot of getting super hyped for releases anymore. I still get excited for things, though. Like Super Robot Wars Z3 is going to feature one of my favorite series in it, so I'm excited. But it's not like FFXIII where I'd eat, breathe, and sleep speculation for that and Dissidia.

I've always wished they would localize those games, though I realize that there are so many licensing issues involved. What new series are they adding with this one? I always liked how they would often go and sort of fix a series like what they did with Seed Destiny.

Out of all the remasters I'll be trying this year (Symphonia, FFX, KH2.5) Kingdom Hearts is definitely the one that seems most interesting to me. I didn't like KH2 much at all, mostly because it was pathetically simple. KHFM definitely improved the difficulty a bit, and I hope the Final Mix (and perhaps other) additions to KH2 can dissolve the sour taste that game left.

And yes, being able to play BBS, which has the best gameplay in the series, with a controller is definitely appealing too.

I'm trying to remember what I've heard about difficulty in regards to the FM version. I think it's still easy, but hopefully not as pathetically so as the original version was.

I'm looking forward to playing that one in particular due to what I've heard and seen of the gameplay in BBS. It was done by the same team that's in charge of KHIII, right?

Seda

Hey everyone :] I just started GAF today. I'm a huge FF fan so I gravitated over here pretty quickly! My favorite of the series are 8, 9, 10 and 11! I hope we can be friends and stuff!

Hi there. I suggest reading the T.O.S. (top of page near search) and also some of the etiquette threads in the F.A.Q. (from the main page, I wish these were more visible). Don't threadwhine or hivemind, be nice, and welcome!

Community threads are where it's at tbh.

Out of all the remasters I'll be trying this year (Symphonia, FFX, KH2.5) Kingdom Hearts is definitely the one that seems most interesting to me. I didn't like KH2 much at all, mostly because it was pathetically simple. KHFM definitely improved the difficulty a bit, and I hope the Final Mix (and perhaps other) additions to KH2 can dissolve the sour taste that game left.

And yes, being able to play BBS, which has the best gameplay in the series, with a controller is definitely appealing too.

Yup, 2.5 is definitely at the top, with FFX in 2nd place, and Symphonia 3rd since its only 3rd0 FPS. I liked original KH2 more than most, but you are right it was pathetically simple. Magnet is the most over-powered spell ever. I loved it to death.

And yes I am very much looking forward to KH2.5. Easily one of my most anticipated this year along with Xillia 2 and Persona 5. KH2 I absolutely love and BbS is amazing with some of the strongest characters to come out of the series and out of Square Enix. Aqua is easily one of the strongest female characters Nomura has ever created.

Xillia 2, Persona 5, on top off all the other games mentioned, PS3 has become a JRPG powerhouse, it just took about 7 years to start to pick up some speed.

Hey everyone :] I just started GAF today. I'm a huge FF fan so I gravitated over here pretty quickly! My favorite of the series are 8, 9, 10 and 11! I hope we can be friends and stuff!

Welcome friend. I've been on NeoGAF for about a month, by far my favorite community of people who share similar interest. Come on everyone, let's all have a NeoGAF group hug.

Sora_N

I started FFV two nights ago

I'm wondering if there's any disadvantage or advantage to using specific jobs at the beginning.

Main Char - Black Mage (trying to get a few job levels so I might do a Knight with B. Magic)
Reina - White Mage (I switched her to Monk for now because the monsters don't seem to hurt my guys enough yet, and I have secondary as White Magic for now)
Galuf - Knight (didn't know what else to use because my main char is not a Knight yet)
Faris - Thief (seemed suitable)

Noi

Some characters have a minimal stat difference for certain stats than others, but unless you're min/maxing to the smallest digit it doesn't matter at all. And unlike FF3, you aren't penalized with low HP for using squishy jobs with low HP growth and then swapping to a bulky one.

CorvoSol

Hunter, Sorcerer, and Ninja are the only jobs that Bartz really, really needed to worry about. I always max everyone out anyway because I get flashbacks to how hard Neo Exdeath was when I was a kid, but those were all I remember him needing.

Galuf and Lenna were all magic, all the time, and Faris was same as Bartz.

Wazzy

Banned

Hey sexy ^ ^

You love VIII? Flawless taste. It's almost like we know each other and share the same tastes.

Hi there. I suggest reading the T.O.S. (top of page near search) and also some of the etiquette threads in the F.A.Q. (from the main page, I wish these were more visible). Don't threadwhine or hivemind, be nice, and welcome!

Community threads are where it's at tbh.

Ooh okay! I'll make sure to do that! Thank you so much for the advice and for the welcome! :]

Welcome friend. I've been on NeoGAF for about a month, by far my favorite community of people who share similar interest. Come on everyone, let's all have a NeoGAF group hug.

Thanks!! I'm always down for hugs :]. My best friend has been on GAF for a long time now, and she loves it. So I'm really excited!

Hey sexy ^ ^

You love VIII? Flawless taste. It's almost like we know each other and share the same tastes.
It's almost like we're best friends for real and share the same beautiful soul or something. ;) You da best bb. Thanks for suggesting GAF to me!

Funnest way to play FF8 in 3 easy steps:

1. Whole party on critical health.
2. Mash circle.
3. Limit Break all day, everyday.

Edit: I never did do a Level 1, carding playthrough, sounds pretty interesting.

Seda

Punch Rush - Booya - Punch Rush - Booya - Punch Rush - Booya - Punch Rush - Booya - Punch Rush - Booya

You mean if you don't have Lionheart by the end of Disc 1 you aren't playing the game right.

Doesn't that require modding a rare (unique) card for a component?

Seda

On a more serious note, I didn't care much for the Junction system of FFVIII's narrative elements as they are, so I'm not lying when I say I found the most enjoyment out of the game when I played through a low-level run and manipulating the cards to becoming overpowered early and "breaking" the game. I suppose the fun there is stems from the the curiosity in "How much can I tip the scales in my favor? How ridiculously overpowered can I make my party? To what extent can I trivialize the bosses?"

And aside from some serious time playing away at cards, you spend most of the game with NO ENC on anyway so you don't waste time with any sort of grinding at all.

I appreciated that FFVIII's cards, item refining, and Junctioning all meshed well together. Play cards, win cards, refine them into items, refine items into spells, equip spells for stats, or turn items into ultimate weapons. Yes you can totally trivialize the game, but I derived some pleasure seeing how far I can break it.

At least the Triple Triad cards were worth something, Tetra Master cards were just a novelty.

How does one get Lionheart in disc one?

Playing cards to get pulse ammo, fighting those T-rexs in the training section of the garden for dragon fangs, (or was it from blue dragons on trabia?), and adamantine from refining one of the brother cards i believe.

Edit: This video should explain it better and another video with different options.

Edit 2: I wonder if you can get all the ultimate weapons on disk 1 without leveling up, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edit 3: I have just realized, I have not purchased anything from the "stores" in FFXIII or upgraded any of the equipment. Might as well beat it before trying any of that stuff.

I actually have no idea about anything related to LR, aside from the way the game plays. Like I said, when it bombs and I can get it for 9 bucks a month later, then I'll buy it and you can all experience my horror then.

You'll be able to laugh in good conscious at the ending, then, having only payed $9.

I don't know what it is honestly. I just see a bunch of statues that are tasking me to kill some monsters, like the Cei'th stone missions.

Edit: Anywhere I can buy some more of those Aegisol, Fortisol, etc items? They are really useful.

It gets weirder when
the super magical statues start fighting the Fal'cie, and then leave at the end of the dungeon saying "we must fight evil beyond this land".
Unless I hallucinated that.

Here is another crazy FF7 reference to anime

ffripsoffgundamat2.png

...wat.

PK Gaming

On a more serious note, I didn't care much for the Junction system of FFVIII's narrative elements as they are, so I'm not lying when I say I found the most enjoyment out of the game when I played through a low-level run and manipulating the cards to becoming overpowered early and "breaking" the game. I suppose the fun there is stems from the the curiosity in "How much can I tip the scales in my favor? How ridiculously overpowered can I make my party? To what extent can I trivialize the bosses?"

And aside from some serious time playing away at cards, you spend most of the game with NO ENC on anyway so you don't waste time with any sort of grinding at all.

I seriously need to revisit FFVIII again. I wasn't satisfied with my last playthrough because of the junction system, but that was mostly because I neglected to abuse it. That and I want to know first hand if the narrative is terrible after Disc 1.

Voror

Those novellas actually sound like they do a lot to expand on Lightning as a person with more growth and such. Shame what happened with the later games in terms of her.

I know right? Nomura was probably watching a ton of Gundam when he designed the WEAPONS.

Those novellas actually sound like they do a lot to expand on Lightning as a person with more growth and such. Shame what happened with the later games in terms of her.

I've never been a fan of using novels to help develop characters, I prefer if it was all in the games. That's just me though.

CorvoSol

I know right? Nomura was probably watching a ton of Gundam when he designed the WEAPONS.

I've never been a fan of using novels to help develop characters, I prefer if it was all in the games. That's just me though.

I felt Lightning's development over the course of XIII wasn't THAT bad. It was the shift from who she was at the end of XIII to who she was in XIII-2 that pissed me off. Especially because Lightning spent all of XIII trying to fight the Gods, only to wind up Etro's bitch.

I also meant wat to the story of that comic.

Zombie hookers who were built to love?

flyover

I found the most enjoyment out of the game when I played through a low-level run and manipulating the cards to becoming overpowered early and "breaking" the game. I suppose the fun there is stems from the the curiosity in "How much can I tip the scales in my favor? How ridiculously overpowered can I make my party? To what extent can I trivialize the bosses?"

There's something to be said for making that the game. I love doing the same thing.

This article, in which the author tries to construct the most lopsided game of Madden ever, is a really entertaining experiment in this kind of gameplay:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/30/5351052/breaking-madden-super-bowl-broncos-seahawks

Red Mage

People would've really cried about XIII being a interactive film if they were put in.

...it already was, though?

Anyhow, as someone who hated XIII's gameplay, battle, and lack of freedom, should I bother picking up XIII-2? I know the story is stupid, but if they actually made the battle system decent, it might be worth $9.

I felt Lightning's development over the course of XIII wasn't THAT bad. It was the shift from who she was at the end of XIII to who she was in XIII-2 that pissed me off. Especially because Lightning spent all of XIII trying to fight the Gods, only to wind up Etro's bitch.

From what I have seen in FFXIII, you're right, Light's development isn't that bad. That scene where they raid Cacoon was pretty badass, hopefully I'll finish it tonight. Wow, talk about ironic, spend a whole game fighting Gods, spend a whole game doing one's bidding.

People would've really cried about XIII being a interactive film if they were put in.

Some people are already crying that it's an interactive movie the way it is.

All I'm saying is I prefer all of my fiction in the game, I've never been a fan of having to read or search for things outside the game to fill in the fiction. Again, that's just me, If people like that, awesome, and I'm happy when they take the time to tell me what I have missed.

I also meant wat to the story of that comic.
Zombie hookers who were built to love?

Lol, yeah... Ignore that part, I just like how you are basically fighting Gundams in FFVII

...it already was, though?

Anyhow, as someone who hated XIII's gameplay, battle, and lack of freedom, should I bother picking up XIII-2? I know the story is stupid, but if they actually made the battle system decent, it might be worth $9.

I'm probably not the one to ask since I liked XIII for what it is and despised XIII-2, but if you hated the core battle system of XIII, I don't think XIII-2's changes will make it any better for you. But it would probably be best to ask someone who didn't actively loathe XIII-2.

CorvoSol

From what I have seen in FFXIII, you're right, Light's development isn't that bad. That scene where they raid Cacoon was pretty badass, hopefully I'll finish it tonight. Wow, talk about ironic, spend a whole game fighting Gods, spend a whole game doing one's bidding.

Some people are already crying that it's an interactive movie the way it is.

All I'm saying is I prefer all of my fiction in the game, I've never been a fan of having to read or search for things outside the game to fill in the fiction. Again, that's just me, If people like that, awesome, and I'm happy when they take the time to tell me what I have missed.

Lol, yeah... Ignore that part, I just like how you are basically fighting Gundams in FFVII

This is a nitpick, but technically none of those are Gundams. They all look like Zeon mobile suits.

Top Bottom