• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Sora_N

Bro you don't even know yet. FFV's Final Boss is the last time Final Fantasy even had a Final Boss. Because every final boss since 5 has been dead in the first turn.

But even if you max out so that Bartz and company have all the best abilities, he ain't gonna just keel over and die.

Zeromus is still the hardest, though. That or all versions after the SNES have just made him stupid harder.

I'm looking forward to that I guess. I didn't expect some random turtle thing to just stomp on my guys when I felt that I was doing okay lol.

CorvoSol

See, my problem with the novels and such is that once upon a time I didn't need to read an untranslated and obscure book to understand the heroine of a video game. Terra and Yuna were people I could get based on what I saw on screen, and not what someone scrawled on a napkin in a language written with an alphabet written by an empire of people who I never knew.

So my complaint is entirely that "going from one game to the next there's no reconciling the two characters" and not "these books blew chunks." because I never read the books, and am using the games as my primary and singular base of judgment.

CorvoSol

And see, I'm running into the problem of "Okay, I know the reason, but now I have to segregate the knowledge I have from the game and the books" and that's not always easy. I have to remember that I was exactly like you were before I read the books. XIII Lightning and XIII-2 Lightning are irreconcilable without the novellas, which was part of my point that I think kinda got lost. Believe me, I know that this is unbelievably bad execution, I'm not arguing that it isn't.

Though I have to say, no amount of explanation from anywhere will reconcile the idiocy that is Etro.

The best part of Etro is the hope that someday Pulse is successful in opening her Gate and killing her.

CorvoSol

If I may be so bold as to add to the pile of complaints against XIII-2, Hope is also wildly out of character in that game. For starters,
HE BUILDS A GOD. Fal'Cie were created by Bhunivelze, Pulse, Lindzei and Hope. Which of these is not like the others? And not only does Hope do that, he does it using parts from ONE OF THE MAIN VILLAINS OF XIII. Like he's somehow forgotten that this being was an omnicidal maniac responsible for his mother's demise or something.

Wazzy

Banned
Alright Cor. I'll watch all of it starting March. I'll give you updates on what I think since I love mech shows.

CorvoSol

During its 1300 yr float, Cocoon didn't have a pillar supporting it. The pillar eroded over 500 yrs not because Hope did anything.

He abandoned that plan after it was sabotaged by a traitor which got him wasted.

1. Crystal does not erode in 500 years. That's silly. FFXIII's ending doesn't have the team go "OH NO WHAT A TEMPORARY FIX THIS IS" and it invalidates the sacrifice of those who built the pillar to even come up with that. Which is why it's more inconsistent bullshit. The game specifically says Hope's been yanking shit out of Cocoon for the sake of building his hilariously stupid other Cocoon.

2. He was still an idiot for making the decision to do it in the first place. HE FOUGHT THE FAL'CIE. Why would he EVER want to see a Cocoon Fal'Cie again?

Alright Cor. I'll watch all of it starting March. I'll give you updates on what I think since I love mech shows.

SWEET. It's my favorite.

Kuja9001

Banned
1. Crystal does not erode in 500 years. That's silly. FFXIII's ending doesn't have the team go "OH NO WHAT A TEMPORARY FIX THIS IS" and it invalidates the sacrifice of those who built the pillar to even come up with that. Which is why it's more inconsistent bullshit. The game specifically says Hope's been yanking shit out of Cocoon for the sake of building his hilariously stupid other Cocoon.

And the game specifically says this

During the catastrophe of 0 AF, a gigantic crystal pillar appeared and caught Cocoon in its embrace.
This miracle was the work of Fang and Vanille, two women who sacrificed themselves to achieve the impossible.

In the centuries that follow, however, erosion weakens the massive structure. This second threat to Cocoon triggers a war among its people, and the resulting violence brings the sphere crashing to the ground. The apocalyptic age in which Noel was born is what remains of the world after those tragic events come to pass.

CorvoSol

During the catastrophe of 0 AF, a gigantic crystal pillar appeared and caught Cocoon in its embrace.
This miracle was the work of Fang and Vanille, two women who sacrificed themselves to achieve the impossible.

In the centuries that follow, however, erosion weakens the massive structure. This second threat to Cocoon triggers a war among its people, and the resulting violence brings the sphere crashing to the ground. The apocalyptic age in which Noel was born is what remains of the world after those tragic events come to pass.

And I'm telling you that's bullshit and that crystal does not erode that fast. Cocoon is the size of NORTH AMERICA. IN BALL FORM. And the Crystal Pillar is thick enough to keep it securely standing in the air. Do you have any idea how thick that would be? That pillar is thicker than mountain ranges. And wind and rain a mountain do not erode in 500 years. Let alone a pillar of solid crystal so fucking thick it can suspend a moon the size of North America in midair.

I have no compunctions with saying that XIII-2's entire plot is bullshit, because it being contradictory bullshit is the entire point I'm making.

CorvoSol

So how long does it take? Plus it's a game, they hardly follow the rules.

It takes forever and ever.

Quartz, on Mohs scale of Hardness, ranks a 7, just 3 below diamond. According to this page quartz is specifically resistant to erosion:

Quartz bearing rocks are often more resistant to weathering and will produce the capstones that protect the tops of buttes and mesas from erosion.

And that the game follows no rules whatsoever is, again, my complaint. Because it ignores the rules laid out by the first game and invalidates any and all meaning the first game's efforts had. The complaint is not
"there is no explanation provided for the fall of Cocoon" but "There is no fucking reason Cocoon should have fallen, and it's utter bullshit that invalidates the efforts of two games."

For added fun, here is a Wikipedia Article about a Hill which, because it is made of quartz, has remained basically the same for 10, 000 years. That's 20 times longer than FFXIII's pillar, for a structure of far smaller size and thickness, exposed to the elements and then some.

The underlying geology of Gillies Hill is a layer of quartz-dolerite approximately 100 meters thick of the Late Carboniferous tholeiitic Midland Valley Sill-complex (Stirling Sill). The hill is one of a series of crag and tail formations that cross the Carse of Stirling separated by faults into distinct hills such as Abbey Craig, Kings Park, Sauchieburn and Stirling Castle rock. These crag and tail formations were created by glaciation that terminated about 10,000 years ago.

The quartz-dolerite of the hill, highly resistance to erosion, is a ready source of “whin-stone” for road beds and sea walls; concrete aggregate and kerbstones. Several whinstone mines have operated on Gillies Hill over the years. Beneath the hill’s quartz-dolerite layer is a layer of Murrayshall Limestone.

HTupolev

For added fun, here is a Wikipedia Article about a Hill which, because it is made of quartz, has remained basically the same for 10, 000 years. That's 20 times longer than FFXIII's pillar, for a structure of far smaller size and thickness, exposed to the elements and then some.
It's a hill, though.

If the pyramids of Egypt were build upside-down, they probably wouldn't have lasted 5000 years.

Also, do we know what this crystal is? Maybe it's sugar with blue food colouring.

Noi

Sucker is FIERCE.

Man, I only beat it cause I abused the hell out of the phoenix augment to win. (I made it slightly harder for myself tho cause I didn't know about Phoenix on Kain. I somehow figured that more MP = more HP recovery, so I used it on Rydia and had to use an elixir on her after she died (and Big Bang would instantly OHKO my whole party...)

Sora_N

Managed to beat Garula using 3 Knights (1 Monk with Guard), just used Guard because I was too lazy to leave the tower to grind. BARELY made it lolz.

20140131_231657_zpsoluzcd4r.jpg

Rizzi

I've been playing FF VII on my Vita lately. I'm just after
Cloud falling in to the Lifestream and washing up as a vegetable.
Is it to early to start getting people their ultimate weapons?

Robin64

Picked up IV Complete Collection in the sale last night, playing on my new Vita. Wow! I hadn't realised the game was quite so pretty. I'm really getting the feeling of it being a 32-bit FF if they hadn't gone the pre-rendered background route. Really impressed.

Theme of Love is a beautiful version, too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

So how does this pillar appear exactly. What is the concept of it's creation. The Law of Conservation of Energy does not discriminate. Energy can't be created or destroyed so it had to have been made by something or came from something else. And it couldn't possibly erode that quickly. Many crystalline structures last a far longer time, a more viable reason was humans had been chipping off the structure(lol) for minerals and resources and thus it began to weaken.

Gaz_RB

So how does this pillar appear exactly. What is the concept of it's creation. The Law of Conservation of Energy does not discriminate. Energy can't be created or destroyed so it had to have been made by something or came from something else. And it couldn't possibly erode that quickly. Many crystalline structures last a far longer time, a more viable reason was humans had been chipping off the structure(lol) for minerals and resources and thus it began to weaken.

lol @ thinking that real world laws apply to FF13.

Where does the fire and water and thunder they shoot out of their hands come from?

The pillar comes from magic, the same way other l'cie are turned into crystal.

edit: or have you not played the game? maybe I should spoiler tag that

Kuja9001

Banned

V/F formed it somehow and got the crystal dust from Gran Pulse. Again why are you guys bringing in "real world" science for a game?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Where does the fire and water and thunder they shoot out of their hands come from?

Wresting arcane energy from the fabric of the universe by channeling your spiritual power through sheer will bolstered by Crystal Radiation? Duh.

V/F formed it somehow and got the crystal dust from Gran Pulse. Again why are you guys bringing in "real world" science for a game.\?

So I can further drive home how poorly executed it is. A forming it somehow equates to "A wizard did it".

CorvoSol

It's a hill, though.

If the pyramids of Egypt were build upside-down, they probably wouldn't have lasted 5000 years.

Also, do we know what this crystal is? Maybe it's sugar with blue food colouring.

I fail to see the relevance of the pyramids. They're man-made structures of separated segments and pyramidal in shape. This is a hill, which is natural in occurrence and even a glacier could do no more than move it to the side.

The Crystal Pillar is a SOLID PILLAR of crystal so thick it can hold up a satellite that is roughly the size of North America, with all the water, air, and land within it. It's a single object, not many pieces fit together, and unlike an upside down pyramid, a pillar is a stable structure. Cocoon itself isn't going to make it any less stable because the top of the pillar wraps around Cocoon. The pillar is hilariously thick and sturdy. It has to be, or the entire ending of FFXIII and the relief the cast feels at seeing it and the sacrifice of those who made it makes no sense within the context of FFXIII.

Considering the difficulty Snow had in extricating Serah's Crystal from the crystallized Lake Bresha, "sugar" is entirely out of the question.

Man, I only beat it cause I abused the hell out of the phoenix augment to win. (I made it slightly harder for myself tho cause I didn't know about Phoenix on Kain. I somehow figured that more MP = more HP recovery, so I used it on Rydia and had to use an elixir on her after she died (and Big Bang would instantly OHKO my whole party...)

All I remember from that fight is swearing a lot.

Heropon

Instead of talking about imaginary worlds' physics I'd want to ask why Hope thought it was a good idea moving all the cocoon inhabitants from a giant floating ball to another one instead of building some giant cities in that huge planet they have below them. I can't imagine all of Pulse being occupied by giant turtles so I think they would have found a place to live if they tried.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Instead of talking about imaginary worlds' physics I'd want to ask why Hope thought it was a good idea moving all the cocoon inhabitants from a giant floating ball to another one instead of building some giant cities in that huge planet they have below them. I can't imagine all of Pulse being occupied by giant turtles so I think they would have found a place to live if they tried.

They should have lived on the giant turtles.

CorvoSol

AW YEAH. Amazon sent me a notice to tell me that my Bravely Default Collector's Edition will be coming soon!

As in the 11th of February. :(

The game made it fairly clear, I thought, that Cocoon's final fall to Pulse caused an ecological disaster that pretty much made the planet unlivable and caused the population to slowly die out. And to be fair, they DID build a giant city (Academia), and lived on Pulse for 500 years.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The game made it fairly clear, I thought, that Cocoon's final fall to Pulse caused an ecological disaster that pretty much made the planet unlivable and caused the population to slowly die out. And to be fair, they DID build a giant city (Academia), and lived on Pulse for 500 years.

The fall made crystal dust atom bomb and peeps will die out due to crystal radiation. Monsters and Cieth will strangely be unaffected however.

CorvoSol

Because if you can name a single thing that Hope does in XIII-2 that isn't hilariously stupid, I will give you a dollar. His head is so far up his ass in that game I can't even.

"Hey trusting a Fal'Cie is a good plan. Not like they tried to fuck us over or anything."

"Hey living on a giant ball suspended in air is a good plan. Not like those can come crashing down or anything."

"Hey it's not like I have friends who can time travel to tell me if my plan works or not! I should completely abandon my father to die old and alone to go take a 1 way trip to the future with this person I barely know!"

Hope Estheim is Etro personified. Cuz Etro is a fucking moron.

"Hey, Caius wants to kill me and has no real reason to go on living! I'll put my heart in him because it's not like he's going to be committing suicide, ohohoho."

"Hey Lightning fucking hates the Gods and spent the last game betraying the ones she worked for! THAT WON'T BACKFIRE ON ME."

"Hey Pulse has been assigned by Bhunivelze to hunt me down and kill me! I'll entrust my Seeress with a Pulse L'Cie for a guardian, and wait for Pulse to randomly decide to make a Fal'Cie that interprets and displays her visions!"

Which opens up the whole can of worms for "Why in the fuck are Pulse L'Cie and Pulse Fal'Cie openly working with Etro, who Pulse is supposed to be trying to kill?"

Honestly the only thing consistent between FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is that Snow is still a douchebag.

Heropon

I somehow thought that Hope managed to control Cocoon's fall by removing materials from it to reduce the impact, so it shouldn't be necessary to create another ball. But Hope loves doing stupid things Gods do, it must be some kind of complex.

I've been playing FF VII on my Vita lately. I'm just after
Cloud falling in to the Lifestream and washing up as a vegetable.
Is it to early to start getting people their ultimate weapons?

Naw, go ahead and start getting the ones that are available if you would like. Edit: If any are available.

Seda

Haha pretty much. Haven't had so much fun playing an rpg in years. I miss classic FFs now.

I finished FFV for the first time just last month. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't necessarily surprising to me that I ended up liking the game a lot, I've always been a fan of job systems. It just took me quite some time to actually play through the game. It's definitely now in my personal top tier of FF games.

I would love to see an Uber HD PS4 Final Fantasy game that used a job system like the one in FFV. Arguably the best Job System, Tactic's was also pretty fantastic.

CorvoSol

I somehow thought that Hope managed to control Cocoon's fall by removing materials from it to reduce the impact, so it shouldn't be necessary to create another ball. But Hope loves doing stupid things Gods do, it must be some kind of complex.

It's cuz he has to prove himself to Light and his dead mom.

Also "Call me Light" is still one of the dumbest things to happen in XIII. YOU ALREADY HAVE A NICKNAME, CLAIR, DO YOU NEED ANOTHER ONE?

I would rather be fighting Garula than Barthandelus for the 3rd time, these fights are so annoying. Also both The Proudclad fighters were a pain. Geez, FFXIII, you sure like crummy bosses.

Top Bottom