• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I would love to see an Uber HD PS4 Final Fantasy game that used a job system like the one in FFV. Arguably the best Job System, Tactic's was also pretty fantastic.

Actually, if you look at it, this past generation was the first one in which we didn't get a console FF with a job system.

CorvoSol

Corvo could write a novel the size of a HP book about his issues with XIII.

Let it be known that the reason I have so many issues with XIII is because I very much wanted it to be a great game. Some parallel universe out there has me posting with Perfo and company about the Goddess because XIII turned out to be exactly what I wanted.

In this bitter reality, though, XIII is hands down the biggest JRPG disappointment of my life. I saw them trailers back in High School and was like "HELL YES" then I went away for 2 years and XIII came out and it blew chunks.

In fairness, I could've lived with that, but XIII-2's ending was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's spared from being the worst ending to a video game I've ever seen because The Third Birthday exists.

Heropon

It's spared from being the worst ending to a video game I've ever seen because The Third Birthday exists.

A crime committed by the same person, right? I can't believe the perp is still free.

Offtopic: What's the deal with these extremely long "evade" sequences in Mario & Luigi? The boss could hit me directly anyways, I'm just not good enough to dodge 10 times in a row every time. /rant
I was lucky I bought this for cheap. Phew...

Sora_N

A crime committed by the same person, right? I can't believe the perp is still free.

Offtopic: What's the deal with these extremely long "evade" sequences in Mario & Luigi? The boss could hit me directly anyways, I'm just not good enough to dodge 10 times in a row every time. /rant

Yeah that mario Luigi game is tough for me due to that too.

Heropon

Yeah that mario Luigi game is tough for me due to that too.

It's sad because I wanted to finish that game soon.
Are the other three Mario & Luigi games much better? I can see a game with less "features" than this one being more enjoyable.

Because if you can name a single thing that Hope does in XIII-2 that isn't hilariously stupid, I will give you a dollar. His head is so far up his ass in that game I can't even.

"Hey trusting a Fal'Cie is a good plan. Not like they tried to fuck us over or anything."

"Hey living on a giant ball suspended in air is a good plan. Not like those can come crashing down or anything."

"Hey it's not like I have friends who can time travel to tell me if my plan works or not! I should completely abandon my father to die old and alone to go take a 1 way trip to the future with this person I barely know!"

Hope Estheim is Etro personified. Cuz Etro is a fucking moron.

"Hey, Caius wants to kill me and has no real reason to go on living! I'll put my heart in him because it's not like he's going to be committing suicide, ohohoho."

"Hey Lightning fucking hates the Gods and spent the last game betraying the ones she worked for! THAT WON'T BACKFIRE ON ME."

"Hey Pulse has been assigned by Bhunivelze to hunt me down and kill me! I'll entrust my Seeress with a Pulse L'Cie for a guardian, and wait for Pulse to randomly decide to make a Fal'Cie that interprets and displays her visions!"

Which opens up the whole can of worms for "Why in the fuck are Pulse L'Cie and Pulse Fal'Cie openly working with Etro, who Pulse is supposed to be trying to kill?"

Honestly the only thing consistent between FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is that Snow is still a douchebag.

We're just gonna have to disagree on that, Corvo. The way I see it: Lightning would even work with the gods she hates if it meant saving those she loves and cares about and protecting all of humanity. Yes, she's still aggressive, rebellious, etc. but she can also see the forest through the trees now, so to speak. Etro is absolutely abhorrent for what she did to Lightning, I do agree on that. Again, maybe my mind is just reaching to find coherency where there is none.

The part about Hope and the Fal'cie: There is quite literally nothing to excuse this. HE FUCKING USED THE MEMORY CHIPS FROM FAL'CIE EDEN! He didn't create them, he salvaged them from a Fal'cie who was at the center of Barthandelous' plan.

Sora_N

It's sad because I wanted to finish that game soon.
Are the other three Mario & Luigi games much better? I can see a game with less "features" than this one being more enjoyable.

How far are you? I'm 10 hours in. Heard its 30-40 hours.

I dont have the previous ones so I'm not too sure.

CorvoSol

Dude returns to the scene of the crime every single time, too. He murders Front Mission, Parasite Eve, and Fantasy. He'd probably try to kill Chrono and Mana if they hadn't died on their own.

We're just gonna have to disagree on that, Corvo. The way I see it: Lightning would even work with the gods she hates if it meant saving those she loves and cares about and protecting all of humanity. Yes, she's still aggressive, rebellious, etc. but she can also see the forest through the trees now, so to speak. Etro is absolutely abhorrent for what she did to Lightning, I do agree on that. Again, maybe my mind is just reaching to find coherency where there is none.

The part about Hope and the Fal'cie: There is quite literally nothing to excuse this. HE FUCKING USED THE MEMORY CHIPS FROM FAL'CIE EDEN! He didn't create them, he salvaged them from a Fal'cie who was at the center of Barthandelous' plan.

1. I dunno, I mean she's perfectly fine with killing Orphan no matter who is in danger for that. Y'd think Etro would think twice before deciding to fuck over Lightning and force her to help her out.

2. Hope being able to revive beings who were given life by Lindzei and died when their central command unit died still makes no fucking sense. I seriously think nobody on the entire staff even stopped to say "Hey this doesn't make sense." for fear of what Toriyama would do to them if they did.

Rizzi

If you breed chocobos, mess around in the battle square, and do other side quests it's longer. Manage to snag any ultimate weapons along the way?

Cloud, Yuffie and Vincent. They were the characters I beat the game with, figured the weapons would help a bit.

CLBridges

Alright, I'm about to start my FF13/13-2 play-through and I think I can finish up by the time Lightning Returns. I previously beat FF13 when it first came out, played 13-2 when it first released but never finished. Still deciding on 100% runs or not.

Heropon

I always beat FFVII with Cloud, Tifa and Barret because the game doesn't want me to bring Aeris and I have to use the substitute girlfriend.

Edit: Eh, first post in the page...

Cloud, Yuffie and Vincent. They were the characters I beat the game with, figured the weapons would help a bit.

Fantastic, don't you just love going to Sunken Gelinka, getting Conformer, leaving, and having Emerald Weapon floating right in front of you.

Where are you right now?
Anyways, I wouldn't recommend you levelling up materia purposely, it isn't really worth it. If you have problems try to get enemy skills. It's fast if you know where to get them and they're useful.

Cosmo Canyon.

Yeah, been trying to get all the enemy skills as I can. And it's not that I'm having a hard time, I just wanted to advance my skill set more quickly because it seems to take forever.

Heropon

Cosmo Canyon.

Yeah, been trying to get all the enemy skills as I can. And it's not that I'm having a hard time, I just wanted to advance my skill set more quickly because it seems to take forever.

Your skill set will naturally grow as you get more materia (yellow and blue materia are the most interesting), but do not waste time levelling them up. As you advance in the game, the monsters will give more AP and the magic materia will level up when the time comes. Just have a Heal materia equipped so you can get Esuna later.

Around Cosmo Canyon I levelled up my first materia and I was really underwhelmed. Fire2 was a MP waste...

Yeah! Just beat FFXIII, you guys weren't kidding when you said I had like 20 more hours from the tower. Overall it was alright. The game has been talked about to death but here are a few of the things I liked, and didn't.

Liked:
-Graphics, just looks gorgeous.
-Gran Pulse and Teijin's Tower (Chapters 11 and 12)
-Combat, while it mostly plays itself, juggling paradigms and watching the damage rack up is satisfying.
-Some of the music. In particular, Blinded by Light and Mount Yaschas.
-The VA's did a great job, despite terrible material to work with.
-Characters grew on me by the end.

Didn't like:
-Linearity (the first 10 chapters essentially)
-Poorly told story, I'm not a fan of how the game switches between different party member's perspectives. Also, how they would always go back to reference the first 13 days prior to the Purge. It's just a mess really. I honestly tried to like the story, but it manages to push me away with how it's told.
-Characters were terrible at the beginning.
-Crystarium is nowhere as cool (or as customizable) as the Sphere Grid, at least it's shiny.
-Terrible script.
-Is the Final Fantasy Prelude in this game? Maybe I just missed it.
-Also, where is the Victory Fanfare? I know FFX-2 didn't have it, but that game was kinda dumb to begin with. This is a mainline title, where the hell is it. Pretty sure XII played it when you beat a boss.
-Some boss battles were more annoying than others.
-I liked it better when monsters had Gil on them for no real reason. I guess I was supposed to sell those materials or credit chip things.

I give this game a battle report star rating of 3/5.

I'm actually kinda interested in going back to do the Cieth Stone Missions now that the Crystarium is fully unlocked. Should I start grinding for CP on specific enemies? Or just dive into the missions?

CorvoSol

It flopped?

Last I heard. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though.

Enough talk, time to celebrate Final Fantasy's real Best Girl:

HxrMiDf.jpg

lhW4acr.jpg

Va0H6Cv.jpg

Also, fuck this fanbase. I SCOURED the net for pictures of Terra and Cecil ship and this is all I got:

Meanwhile, frickin' FIRION I saw oodles. Does he even interact with her like, ever? Everybody knows THIS is Firion's one true pairing:

Your skill set will naturally grow as you get more materia (yellow and blue materia are the most interesting), but do not waste time levelling them up. As you advance in the game, the monsters will give more AP and the magic materia will level up when the time comes. Just have a Heal materia equipped so you can get Esuna later.

Around Cosmo Canyon I levelled up my first materia and I was really underwhelmed. Fire2 was a MP waste...

Thanks.

Dude returns to the scene of the crime every single time, too. He murders Front Mission, Parasite Eve, and Fantasy. He'd probably try to kill Chrono and Mana if they hadn't died on their own.

1. I dunno, I mean she's perfectly fine with killing Orphan no matter who is in danger for that. Y'd think Etro would think twice before deciding to fuck over Lightning and force her to help her out.

2. Hope being able to revive beings who were given life by Lindzei and died when their central command unit died still makes no fucking sense. I seriously think nobody on the entire staff even stopped to say "Hey this doesn't make sense." for fear of what Toriyama would do to them if they did.

1. Like I said, the ending is like a fever dream. It's... Uh... Uh...

ilLZtGPKyYamv.gif

AND STAY OUT! You and your need for coherency!!!!!!!!!!

(Yeah, I got nothing. Fuck the XIII ending. In those 20 minutes they broke every rule they established, said "Fuck you" to any and all character development over the past 60 hours, had a deus ex machina, an ass pull, and a hand wave that haphazardly tied up all the plot lines by saying "it was all a miracle". ALL IN TWENTY MINUTES!)

Everything about Hope's sudden intellect boost was a load of bunk. He goes from a snot nosed kid in XIII who occasionally gives a motivational speech when ever the writers require it to a guy who is at the forefront of all of science with an IQ of at least 400 who accomplishes coming up with the plans for a one-way time travel device, paradox weapons, a way to build a new Cocoon (which was DONE BY FUCKING GODS LAST TIME), builds a "metashield", and does a load of other stuff. Why? Because the writers needed him to, that why. You don't just suddenly gain this kind of intelligence, but what the hell, why not?

Last I heard. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though.

Enough talk, time to celebrate Final Fantasy's real Best Girl:

tumblr_mg70ytReL51s25abuo1_1280.jpg
final_fantasy_xiii_lightning_by_senjiness-d56xjux.jpg
final_fantasy_xiii___lightning_by_aameeyur-d4w4hlq.jpg
I agree

Also, fuck this fanbase. I SCOURED the net for pictures of Terra and Cecil ship and this is all I got:

Because the fans know that Cecil can't handle Terra.

Meanwhile, frickin' FIRION I saw oodles. Does he even interact with her like, ever? Everybody knows THIS is Firion's one true pairing:

To bad her face shows he can't compete with this:

CorvoSol

I agree

To bad her face shows he can't compete with this:

Dragmire, PLS, Firion kills The Devil with his BARE HANDS. Hope can't even be bothered to survive an assassination attempt.

Firion is the one true boyfriend for Lightning. C'mon.

And the real answer is that while Terra is Cecil's type (green hair, female, yup.) Cecil isn't really Terra's type (because Terra only likes burly muscle dudes like Sabin and Jecht.)

I agree

Damn right! Only a real man like Cloud can handle Terra. You know real men, who dress like women to infiltrate shady places.

Ahh Lightning, my Goddess, can't wait to play FFXIII-2 your armor looks so beautiful, but not as beautiful as you.

Edit: When did Hope become so tall o_O?

PK Gaming

The Terra art dump was friggin sweet

I love how fans alternate between blond and green hair. I prefer green, but blond is still pretty good.

Damn right! Only a real man like Cloud can handle Terra. You know real men, who dress like women to infiltrate shady places.

Ahh Lightning, my Goddess, can't wait to play FFXIII-2 your armor looks so beautiful, but not as beautiful as you.
Damn right to both.

Don't forget to start playing XIII-2 before LR so you can get that armor.

Top Bottom