• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I just had a full retard moment.

Makoto Yuki is currently playing through XIII/XIII-2 and I haven't been spoiler tagging anything! I'm so sorry, Yuki!

Edit: It's a day late and dollar short to spoiler now, isn't it?

I just had a full retard moment.

Makoto Yuki is currently playing through XIII/XIII-2 and I haven't been spoiler tagging anything! I'm so sorry, Yuki!

Edit: It's a day late and dollar short to spoiler now, isn't it?

Oh, don't worry about it, I finished FFXIII today, and I'm about to play FFXIII-2 sometime soon, honestly spoilers don't really bother me when they are out of context.

AKr6aLj.jpg

Wow, how old is that thing?

Voror

Since quoting it all would be a huge amount of text, I'll just say that I really liked your analysis of Lightning and her character Crimson, though a few of the things Corvo brought up are ones that bother me slightly. It might have been appreciated if perhaps some of the novellas had been perhaps either flashbacks or perhaps the opening to XIII-2.

What it truly brings home is that there was a lot of untapped potential with the plot and characters that suffers from the scripting and execution. It's almost kind of amazing that it turned out as it did.

I'm not familiar with XIII's production much, but was that game perhaps rushed or had problems perhaps similar to what happened with XII?

Here is the Zerochan page.

Also here are other pictures

I actually quite like the art style those FF6 pics. But we're moving into to weird cross game shipping and I don't know what to think.

And goddamn that map is old. Looks to be in pretty decent condition too.

So is Lightning ever gonna tap adult Hope? I hope this is a KH3 subplot.

That doesn't seem the type of thing that they would do in KH. They barely touched on Tifa and Cloud's relationship except for some hints.

I'm kind of wondering about getting perhaps Dissidia 012 and maybe FFV, though I do have the GBA version which I think has some stuff that isn't present in the PS version.

Since quoting it all would be a huge amount of text, I'll just say that I really liked your analysis of Lightning and her character Crimson, though a few of the things Corvo brought up are ones that bother me slightly. It might have been appreciated if perhaps some of the novellas had been perhaps either flashbacks or perhaps the opening to XIII-2.

Thanks.

And yeah, it's extremely frustrating. There would still be a myriad of problems with The Lightning Saga's story, but having the info from the novellas in the actual narrative would be a big start. If nothing else, it would significantly deepen the cast.

What it truly brings home is that there was a lot of untapped potential with the plot and characters that suffers from the scripting and execution. It's almost kind of amazing that it turned out as it did.

I'm not familiar with XIII's production much, but was that game perhaps rushed or had problems perhaps similar to what happened with XII?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

That song pretty much sums up development on XIII.

From 2004 (it started out on the PS2) to 2008, due to horrible communication, squabbling between teams, inability to agree on the finalized specs of the Crystal Tools engine, and Toriyama's inability to lead his team... nothing really productive was done. Artists were creating assets to areas that had already been cut from the story; assets were being created that ended up not being compatible with the finalized engine; by mid 2008, 4 years into development, they still didn't have a finalized battle system; Toriyama had Wantanabe (and Toriyama himself rewrote scenes) rewriting scenes as many as a dozen times during production, which made it absolute hell for the cutscene and localization team since the localization team would finally finish something only to be told "No, we ended up cutting that" or "no, that's no longer how the scene goes" and the lip syncers and cutscene animators would have to redo the scene... basically, it was a gong show.

The only reason they ended up finalizing the battle system when they did in 2008 was because someone forced the issue and said "you have to ship a demo on the Advent Children DVD". Had it not been for that, they might have run around for another few month.

The last year, year and a half was spent trying to cobble a game together to ship. XIII was always gonna be linear (due to Kitase's "Interactive Movie RPG" idea), but at the last moment they had to cut entire sections of the game because they just couldn't finalize them in time (Lightning's house; the entire area of Bodhum; a park in Nautilus; Team Nora's secret base; dozens of branching paths, while they wouldn't go anywhere, would have at least given you something to do; a whole extra level on Tajeans Tower, etc). Again, don't get me wrong: The game was always gonna be super linear. But we would have at least had a bit more to do.

You're right, it's amazing XIII was as good as it was.

CorvoSol

Wow, how old is that thing?

If I'm not mistaken, it was included in the box with NES FF1. Old NES games used to have all kinds of goodies like that in the box. So that map is possibly older than I am, but not necessarily since I remember the day we bought FF1 and I am the same age as the series, so our family must've been a good 4-5 years late to that party.

Oh god we're back to fanart posting, aren't we?

PersonaGAF does it all the time. It's fun.

That should be the new thread title: "FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: Blame Corvo".

The number of threads that could be entitled this way grows.

I actually quite like the art style those FF6 pics. But we're moving into to weird cross game shipping and I don't know what to think.

And goddamn that map is old. Looks to be in pretty decent condition too.

Cross game shipping has been a thing since Dissidia came out. And the map was hidden in boxes in my house for years. I think I found it back in 2010, and this Christmas when I was home I took a shot of it that, now that I see it, did not include the whole map.

On the back of the map is a bestiary of every enemy in Final Fantasy 1.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah but it has to be GOOD fan art in order for it to be fun.

I mean, I guess it could be worse. Like the pregnant fetish people have with Final Fantasy characters. I once saw a muscular Tifa backing a terrified Cloud into a corner.

Made me dislike her more than I already did.

CorvoSol

Yeah but it has to be GOOD fan art in order for it to be fun.

I mean, I guess it could be worse. Like the pregnant fetish people have with Final Fantasy characters. I once saw a muscular Tifa backing a terrified Cloud into a corner.

Made me dislike her more than I already did.

Look I only know two kinds of Fan Art. "Awesome" and not. Nobody was licking any feet, and there was no MPreg, so I felt like it was okay.

If y'all think I'm a filthy pleb who isn't worthy of the great L'ourve that is this thread, prove me wrong and show me your sperior art taste.

Wazzy

Banned
Look I only know two kinds of Fan Art. "Awesome" and not. Nobody was licking any feet, and there was no MPreg, so I felt like it was okay.

If y'all think I'm a filthy pleb who isn't worthy of the great L'ourve that is this thread, prove me wrong and show me your sperior art taste.

bb

You've got the finest taste in the world.

But seriously I only skimmed and saw the Celes who I thought looked awful plus the Lightning stuff.

You're right, Preggo art is the worst and wasn't posted so I'm over stepping. I just don't see VIII art and I'm too lazy to post good ones. ; ;

If I'm not mistaken, it was included in the box with NES FF1. Old NES games used to have all kinds of goodies like that in the box. So that map is possibly older than I am, but not necessarily since I remember the day we bought FF1 and I am the same age as the series, so our family must've been a good 4-5 years late to that party.

PersonaGAF does it all the time. It's fun.

On the back of the map is a bestiary of every enemy in Final Fantasy 1.

That's pretty rad. Too bad games barely have manuals these days, if at all. AND a bestiary, man NES boxes were like pinatas, but all the candy inside was awesome, unless you buy a crappy game.

I know right, PersonaGAF is always having fun posting fan art. They were even posting pictures of their awesome game/statue collections. I was so jelly. My humble Persona collection could not match. I read the rules in the opening post, "No dirty, obnoxious fanart." I've yet to see anything dirty or obnoxious.

Occasionally I get tempted to replay FFXIII solely for Chapter 11's sake and then I remember that the rest of the game exists :-(

If only the whole game was as awesome as chapter 11 or the tower. :( Is XIII-2 as open as gran pulse?

The tower is still part of Chapter 11, I'm pretty sure. Unless you mean the Ark you play through in Chapter 10 (IIRC). Chapter 12 is the one where you return to Cocoon, and Chapter 13 is the 'final dungeon' area.

XIII-2 is... eh, overall it's far more open in the sense that most areas have exploration *and* you can revisit any area/chapter in the game, but there's nothing that feels like the sheer hugeness that is all of Gran Pulse in FFXIII.

However, literally 100% of the game takes place on the surface of Gran Pulse, so there's that.

You won't have near as much to do in Gran Pulse in XIII-2 as opposed to XIII. I beat nearly everything in there except for the hardest boss in the game (and almost beat him too) fairly quickly.

The tower is still part of Chapter 11, I'm pretty sure. Unless you mean the Ark you play through in Chapter 10 (IIRC). Chapter 12 is the one where you return to Cocoon, and Chapter 13 is the 'final dungeon' area.

XIII-2 is... eh, overall it's far more open in the sense that most areas have exploration *and* you can revisit any area/chapter in the game, but there's nothing that feels like the sheer hugeness that is all of Gran Pulse in FFXIII.

However, literally 100% of the game takes place on the surface of Gran Pulse, so there's that.

Vile Peaks, Sunleth Waterscape, and Bresha Ruins are on Cocoon.

CorvoSol

bb

You've got the finest taste in the world.

But seriously I only skimmed and saw the Celes who I thought looked awful plus the Lightning stuff.

You're right, Preggo art is the worst and wasn't posted so I'm over stepping. I just don't see VIII art and I'm too lazy to post good ones. ; ;

Yeah the Celes one was more "i think this looks like a game?" But that one with the creepy mtek is rad.

That's pretty rad. Too bad games barely have manuals these days, if at all. AND a bestiary, man NES boxes were like pinatas, but all the candy inside was awesome, unless you buy a crappy game.

I know right, PersonaGAF is always having fun posting fan art. They were even posting pictures of their awesome game/statue collections. I was so jelly. My humble Persona collection could not match. I read the rules in the opening post, "No dirty, obnoxious fanart." I've yet to see anything dirty or obnoxious.

If only the whole game was as awesome as chapter 11 or the tower. :( Is XIII-2 as open as gran pulse?

I have posters from before 12 came out, too.

Yes, I'm pretty sure your're right, the tower was in Chapter 11, man chapter 11 is by far the best section. The Ark is a pain in the booty. Ahh I see, well I'm still pretty excited to try XIII-2, just to know how different the two games are, if at all.

You won't have near as much to do in Gran Pulse in XIII-2 as opposed to XIII. I beat nearly everything in there except for the hardest boss in the game (and almost beat him too) fairly quickly.

Dang, well I guess I'll see first hand sooner or later, ever go back to beat him? or did you just get tired of the game.

Yeah the Celes one was more "i think this looks like a game?" But that one with the creepy mtek is rad.

I have posters from before 12 came out, too.
Nice! What kind of posters? Cover art of FFs 1 - 11?

Ahh, those ads still sound pretty cool.

This wall scroll? only image I could find. Never been a fan of wall scrolls, though I do like Ashe.

mtvxjdkC_DAlNWphTtlEAZA.jpg

Has the same kind of art, just Ashe and Vaan aren't on the front like that. Trying to find an image but having no luck so far...my camera is pretty crummy or else I'd take a picture of the one I have.

Rizzi

My only options are the PS1 port which is supposedly kinda crap, or emulation.
And emulation just isn't the same.

CorvoSol

My only options are the PS1 port which is supposedly kinda crap, or emulation.
And emulation just isn't the same.

I dunno, depends on the emulator. Like if you had a PSP or something. Also go for the GBA version. The quality of sound is somewhat lessened, but the added content is good.

Hands down one of the best JRPGs ever.
SHUSH BEEF AND SCHALA. JUST SHUSH.

Yup, amazing game, definitely one of the best. GBA version is great since it doesnt have load times, also has new content, too bad the sound quality isn't the best. The PS1 version is still great, but load times can be a bother. Still worth it.

Has the same kind of art, just Ashe and Vaan aren't on the front like that. Trying to find an image but having no luck so far...my camera is pretty crummy or else I'd take a picture of the one I have.

Sounds pretty cool, FFXII had a great art direction, Akihiko Yoshida's work is simply beautiful.

Noi

So I finally got around to playing the Lightning Returns demo.

...Just playing the intro was enough to remind me how tired I am of everything related to XIII. Worse still is that despite playing all of XIII and XIII-2, I have no idea or inkling of what the hell is happening. You'd think that wouldn't be the case, but here we are.

And god damn, people weren't kidding when they said this game had PS2-quality texturework.

I've always wondered why FFXIII onwards your playable character turns so slowly. Like the movement itself feels heavy, as opposed to light like FFXII. I definitely felt it in the LR demo when Lightning transitioned from a standing pose --> running. Do we really need to feel those physics? They're not fun at all. Do you guys like it?

Lol, you're right. That first post is great

I never thought having too many party member as something bad. Though you do have a point, since some characters are definitely more useful than others. I remember being frustrated with encounter rates as well, from time to time. I guess that's why I prefer the GBA version. PS1 loading was a pain. I'll sacrifice the audio quality for a smoother/quicker experience between battles. Never tried the SNES version though.

Honestly the only thing I don't like about FFVI is Kefka, such an overrated character. A crazy dude with a god-complex *gasp* how inventive. At least in FFVII you get to play through and see first hand how Sephiroth becomes insane, it gets even better when you find out what really happened in Nibelheim. The World of Ruin was great, I dunno if I would call it a fetch quest, but trying to reunite the party is a better reason to explore the new map than collecting X number of pieces for such and such item to finish a game. There's something more motivating about banding your crew together again, than late game item fetching.

While I may not agree, I can respect your opinion.

Yeah, the indecent was portrayed really well in Crisis Core. The best depiction of it I can think of, other than in FFVII. The Madhouse anime version was all kinds of messed up.

Noi

My main criticism of Cave Fantasy VI is the overuse of subterranean maps/layouts. There's two caves/tunnels/mountains for every Magiteck Facility/Phantom Forest/Floating Continent. Also the severe lack of enemy variety in every area you go to.

It was ok otherwise.

CorvoSol

My main criticism of Cave Fantasy VI is the overuse of subterranean maps/layouts. There's two caves/tunnels/mountains for every Magiteck Facility/Phantom Forest/Floating Continent. Also the severe lack of enemy variety in every area you go to.

It was ok otherwise.

Yeah but there are too many caves in EVERY Final Fantasy prior to it, too. FF4's dungeon's are blue cave, purple cave, brown cave, green cave, orange cave, and so on. FF5 is like "Here is a cave where Squirrels rape you. Here is a cave where turtles rape you. Here is a cave where ninjas rape you. Here is a cave where the malicious, animated spirit of rape rapes you." FF2? "Here's a cave and here's an abandoned castle. Enjoy that shit for 40 hours, son."

Top Bottom