• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Heropon

Remind me again, how did you get Shockwave Pulsar?

Not like I would use it, Armageddon Fist and Renzokuken ftw!

You had to have Siren at level 100 to learn a new refining ability that lets you transform 100(!) cursed spikes into a dark matter that teaches it. If you want to have relatively low levels then you can't unless you're playing the PC version, then you only need the spikes.

Can someone tell me when does Divinity I and Divinity II play during Final Fantasy VII Advent Children?

Or even better, is there a list that tells you where each soundtrack is playing during the film? Like this list for Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack. It tells you where each soundtrack is played in the game.

And about Final Fantasy XV. Square Enix finished Lightning Returns. Drakengard 3 and probably some other games that I can't think of. They must be working on Final Fantasy XV, right? We can expect it to be released next year or so? What are people opinion on this?

You had to have Siren at level 100 to learn a new refining ability that lets you transform 100(!) cursed spikes into a dark matter that teaches it. If you want to have relatively low levels then you can't unless you're playing the PC version, then you only need the spikes.

Explains why I never bothered to get it, leveling the GF's is slow enough as is. Maybe one day I'll try and get it but I'd rather stomp Omega Weapon and call it a day.

Remind me again, how did you get Shockwave Pulsar?

Not like I would use it, Armageddon Fist and Renzokuken ftw!

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

And about Final Fantasy XV. Square Enix finished Lightning Returns. Drakengard 3 and probably some other games that I can't think of. They must be working on Final Fantasy XV, right? We can expect it to be released next year or so? What are people opinion on this?

It's hard to say when it will be released. Next year still sounds too early.Back in 2006, FFversusXIII had my hype meter on critical. Now my hype for FFXV is kept in check because it's hard to judge the quality of produce SE puts out these days. I was way more excited when it was FFversusXIII on the PS3, hoping desperately that it would be an amazing Final Fantasy game when all we got was the divisive FFXIII saga.

Now that it's on new consoles, it's been almost 8 years since E3 2006, and the only trailer we have seen just shows off incredible graphics, it's hard to stay optimistic on the quality. I hope they prove me wrong and FFXV is the masterpiece we all want it to be. I'm still excited for it, but mostly because the are finally hopefully closing the book on Lightning and her friends. We can move on with the FF series as a whole. Now SE can make FFXV, FFXV-2 and Noctis Returns FFXV. :p

Also, now that it's on both PS4 and Xbox One, I hope they don't force parity. I don't want them to downgrade PS4 graphics and performance just so the Xbox One can maintain a consistent frame rate.

Also, now that it's on both PS4 and Xbox One, I hope they don't force parity. I don't want them to downgrade PS4 graphics and performance just so the Xbox One can maintain a consistent frame rate.

To be fair the XIII series has been on both X360 and PS3 and particularly with FFXIII the PS3 version was supposed to be superior. In fact weren't they developed side by side, rather than being ported in either direction?

I'm sure it'll be the same for XV

To be fair the XIII series has been on both X360 and PS3 and particularly with FFXIII the PS3 version was supposed to be superior. In fact weren't they developed side by side, rather than being ported in either direction?

I'm sure it'll be the same for XV

The first FFXIII was developed on the PS3 then ported to the 360. Though both of those consoles were about the same power. You just had to put the 360 version on three disks, and still compress it.

I'm no expert when it comes to computing power or things like that, but from what I've read, the PS4 is the more powerful console. The only anecdotal evidence I have for this is reading things on NeoGAF and Eurogamer. I would imagine Tomb Raider should have been 1080 and 60FPS on both consoles, but we still see the 60FPS vs 30FPS split. I'm just saying IF there truly is a difference in console power, I don't want them to gimp one version just for parity. I want Square to achieve the highest quality for both versions.

It's hard to say when it will be released. Next year still sounds too early.Back in 2006, FFversusXIII had my hype meter on critical. Now my hype for FFXV is kept in check because it's hard to judge the quality of produce SE puts out these days. I was way more excited when it was FFversusXIII on the PS3, hoping desperately that it would be an amazing Final Fantasy game when all we got was the divisive FFXIII saga.

Now that it's on new consoles, it's been almost 8 years since E3 2006, and the only trailer we have seen just shows off incredible graphics, it's hard to stay optimistic on the quality. I hope they prove me wrong and FFXV is the masterpiece we all want it to be. I'm still excited for it, but mostly because the are finally hopefully closing the book on Lightning and her friends. We can move on with the FF series as a whole. Now SE can make FFXV, FFXV-2 and Noctis Returns FFXV. :p

I think Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XV far too early as it has been many years and yet we still do not know when to expect. Why has this game gone to development hell?

Not too long ago I saw a Linkedln profile of a Square Enix Japanese employee and in the description it has mentioned that Final Fantasy XV and 1st Production titles are outsourced. It was very surprising as I always imagine that Final Fantasy franchise will always be developed by Square Enix and never be outsourced. Collaboration with other companies is a different matter.

Also why did this game lose exclusivity to PlayStation platform? And if Final Fantasy XV is not going to be released in the next three years then what can we expect? Final Fantasy XVI? What other titles could potentially be released?

I think Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XV far too early as it has been many years and yet we still do not know when to expect. Why has this game gone to development hell?

Also why did this game lose exclusivity to PlayStation platform? And if Final Fantasy XV is not going to be released in the next three years then what can we expect? Final Fantasy XVI? What other titles could potentially be released?

There was a point in time that I was following the development of FFversusXIII (Nomura interviews, press coverage, etc etc) and could probably tell you why it found itself in development hell, now I just don't remember.

FFversusXIII was exclusive to the PS3. FFXV was rumored to be exclusive to the PS4 by insiders, but if I recall correctly, Sony was not willing to pay for that exclusivity. Why should Sony pony up the money to SE just so they can get an exclusive FF game. Doesn't make sense to waste money on a 3rd party exclusive these days. Square will happily develop multiplatorm because they are interested in getting their game to as many people as possible, thus, make more money.

Edit: Technically A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV is PS3/PS4 console exclusive. I really need to get a PS4 or a nice PC to try it out, ( don't really want to play on PS3 :/ ) the word of mouth around that game make it sound like it's the Final Fantasy game fans need to play, like it can magically rekindle a fan's love for the series. Something I desperately need at times.

Not too long ago I saw a Linkedln profile of a Square Enix Japanese employee and in the description it has mentioned that Final Fantasy XV and 1st Production titles are outsourced. It was very surprising as I always imagine that Final Fantasy franchise will always be developed by Square Enix and never be outsourced. Collaboration with other companies is a different matter.

So many things.

If XV releases next year it was announced just fine (on the video game worlds largest stage/ people were excited for FF again for the first time in a long time). Mismanagement of SE sent this game into its prolonged development state. Assisting with XIII when it was having problems, assisting with XIV when it had problems, moving platforms. Many outward things caused XV's delay.

Most AAA games have outsourced studios help with assets and code. Last of Us did it. Assassins Creed does it. Call of duty did it. Tri-ace helping with XIII-2 is considered outsourcing. It's something that has been going on for a long time now. This isn't news. The XV/Type-0 teams are still working on it. They are still the main team. No need to get worried because of something like that. If anything it means they're serious about getting this game out as soon as possible.

I think you're getting worried about things that you don't need to be worried about.

It's the TGS trailer without the beginning CG cutscenes. It's fine.

There was a point in time that I was following the development of FFversusXIII (Nomura interviews, press coverage, etc etc) and could probably tell you why it found itself in development hell, now I just don't remember.

FFversusXIII was exclusive to the PS3. FFXV was rumored to be exclusive to the PS4 by insiders, but if I recall correctly, Sony was not willing to pay for that exclusivity. Why should Sony pony up the money to SE just so they can get an exclusive FF game. Doesn't make sense to waste money on a 3rd party exclusive these days. Square will happily develop multiplatorm because they are interested in getting their game to as many people as possible, thus, make more money.

Edit: Technically A Realm Reborn: Final Fantasy XIV is PS3/PS4 console exclusive. I really need to get a PS4 or a nice PC to try it out, ( don't really want to play on PS3 :/ ) the word of mouth around that game make it sound like it's the Final Fantasy game fans need to play, like it can magically rekindle a fan's love for the series. Something I desperately need at times.

Those were rumors so don't know why some are upset about something that was most likely never going to happen. Also considering the outcome the rumor was most likely made up yeah?

Those were rumors so don't know why some are upset about something that was most likely never going to happen. Also considering the outcome the rumor was most likely made up yeah?

I''m pretty sure it was the insider Thuway here on NeoGAF that said there was validity to it's potential of being a PS4 exclusive. I'll go see what I can dig up.

Edit: Thuway hinted that trust worthy insiders once heard there was potential for PS4 exclusive FFXV. He suggests that Sony did not want to pay for that exclusivity.

https://twitter.com/thuway/status/418671398047854592

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who cares about platform exclusivity or not? Bluntly speaking for once, I thought that was the stupidest thing imaginable unless you are a platform holder's shareholder or an investor. It's just like asking, "why did series x lose exclusivity to platform holder y?" Because it's more profitable to go on another platform, or because the platforms are so close in terms of performance or what they could do in terms of the game's base performance that it'll be more likely to reach a broader range of players across both platforms as opposed to just sticking to one. And since there were, and are, two systems in the wild that have similar customer base, the decision to go multiplat makes sense in terms of a cost-benefit sort of thing. Back then, when FF13 went multiplat, it made so much sense to do so because both platforms had their own bases of users (and some went to 360 because it had more (and higher-rated) RPGs than the PS3 did at the time).

It's a double-edged sword for the company because you're doing a bunch of cost-benefit analyses, picking engines that work on both platforms, seeing whether or not the cost would give them a decent return, and if they can do it in a timely sense.

I always liked actually being able to play different versions of a game in the past, just to see how it controls, what's added or subtracted from the base content, and how it looks in terms of differences. Cross-gen games are the most interesting for that. So you had, like, SNES, Genesis, GB, Game Gear, etc. versions of games, and all of them were different. Some surprisingly being better than others. Whatever. It's more shit to play. Easier back then since you could readily rent stuff, of course.

I dunno. Console war shit rubs me the wrong way.

Noi

Not like console exclusivity even matters for Final Fantasy. XIII PS3 outsold the 360 version everywhere, and Microsoft already showed they don't value the IP as much as they did when they bent the rules to get XI on their console (which they didn't do for XIV). Why pay for exclusivity when you already know which system the fanbase is on?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...and can rake in some extra cash on the side with other platforms?

They're a company with shareholders. It's all about the bottom line. Not about caring about your fans' dreams.

Agreed, this is business. Put a game out on more consoles, make more money, that simple. Console wars are silly. I for one just want high quality product at the end of the day, regardless of the platform.

Noi

We won't see FFXV until the PS5 is out anyway so it's pointless to talk about that now. In the meantime I get to upgrade to FFXIV PS4 in a month, woo woo~

...and can rake in some extra cash on the side with other platforms?

They're a company with shareholders. It's all about the bottom line. Not about caring about your fans' dreams.

Oh, I was talking about Sony's perspective there. Why pay out the butt for exclusivity when most of the game's sales are gonna be on your console anyway?

Noi

PS3 version is perfectly playable if you intend to just play through the story and leave it at that. I only play the PS3 version (cause my PC can't run it), and it definitely suffers from obvious limitations like limiting the amount of people/enemies/stuff you can see on screen at once, but it's perfectly acceptable if its your only method of playing the game.

I'd definitely get a USB keyboard at the very least though. Having to type using only a controller would be kind of painful.

Thank you!

Alright, I may look into the PS3 version now just to get my feet wet at the very least. It's been a while since I've invested any time into an MMO other than WOW.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FF needs gimmick/puzzle dungeons again. Shinra Tower had several gimmicks in one dungeon which was neato. Forest of the Ancients was neat, albeit optional. The icicle stuff in the Gaea Cliffs was neat.

Tomb of the Unknown King, Centra Tower, Fossil Roo, Laguna's version of Lunatic Pandora, etc. Deep Sea Research Center had a gimmick. It wasn't an amazing gimmick, but it was a gimmick, nonetheless. Even the Deling City sewers had its own very small gimmick. Ultimecia's Castle was very fun to go through. I don't think we've seen a final dungeon like that in a long, long time in this series. That was probably the last decent final dungeon in the series. Cleyra's Trunk had a small gimmick with its sand holes and some of the hidden chests. Gizamaluke Grotto had that bell gimmick. Desert Palace had its bloodstones. Ipsen's Castle had that whole "the less powerful your weapon is, the more damage you do" gimmick. Pandemonium had the glowing floors.

FFX-2 had that one dungeon with math. The Fiend Colony was neat because you had to allocate bombs around.

Even Final Fantasy IV had some neat gimmick/puzzle dungeons, which were locked to the player if you weren't at a specific level to tackle them since you didn't have the necessary spell for it or if your dudes weren't levelled up properly. That's good game design.

Zozo in FFVI, Ebot's Rock, Darill's Tomb, Library of Ancients had that moving bookcase part, FFVI's Phoenix Cave/Kefka's Tower with multiparties.

What the heck happened? :/

Someone add Lufia 2's block puzzle to an FF game, please.

Noi

My worst enemy in a PS1 RPG when I was younger.

xenogearsoyuha.png

Math!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FFX-2's hilarious number dungeon says hi.

7wgPqM1.png

Also keep track of how many enemy encounters you have + gil earned (except you could totally cheat this and use the charm bangle instead to make the numbers remain at 0)

It's all about flash, pizzazz and wowing people. No time for things like imaginative dungeons anymore.
Pfft.

That saying "all that glitters isn't gold" rings true here. I really do miss this aspect of dungeon design in this series. It got things right more often than not.

Noi

I solved that the same way I solve every single puzzle in video games.

Press shit and brute force it until I solve it.

I've never legitimately solved a puzzle in any Resident Evil game, I always brute force them and solve every single one in less than a coupla minutes.

Yes, I would like them back also. Those cloister puzzles in FFX were pretty cool.

On top of that I want another Gold Saucer-like area to partake in. Somewhere I can replay silly minigames. There was something fun about snowboarding and that motorcycle game where you had to slash other cyclists' tires. A battle arena where I can earn sweet Items and test my skills. Racing the chocobos I've captured, always trying to beat that damn Black Chocobo.

Also, I would love another great Chocobo related side quest. Breeding/racing chocobo so I can obtain Knights of the Round was fun. Chocobo Hot and Cold was pretty fun as well, that chocobo could fly eventually, how awesome was that! No more seagull dodging, please, FFXHD is going to be the last time I ever do that.

Seda

Oh man that number dungeon...

And I was never able to perfectly calibrate the...seventh tower I think it was in the Thunder Plains. With the buttons presses 'falling' down the screen.

Oh man that number dungeon...

And I was never able to perfectly calibrate the...seventh tower I think it was in the Thunder Plains. With the buttons presses 'falling' down the screen.

Same here, those towers were a pain.

Loved that part.

Barret: "Marlene, Daddy wanted to see your face one more time..."

Tifa: "Would you stop acting like a retard and climb!?"

Got's nothing on the best FF7 quote ever.

I've actually never gone up the stairs all the way. I just busted through the front door every time. That quote is pretty funny though.

You honestly should. I never bust through the doors anymore when I replay 7, the dialogue is that good.

Haha, alright you've sold me on it. Though, maybe I'll just YouTube it for now. Thanks for the heads up, nothing beats a good laugh.

Edit: Haha! you're right, that dialogue was pretty hilarious! I've been missing out on an Elixer and laughs all these years.

I am curious to understand how exclusivity precisely work. Do Sony ask other companies to make an exclusive game for their platform from scratch. Or do they ask for announced game to be exclusive?

What do you mean "technically" Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn is a PlayStation exclusive? It is available on PC which negate it being PlayStation exclusive.

So many things.

If XV releases next year it was announced just fine (on the video game worlds largest stage/ people were excited for FF again for the first time in a long time). Mismanagement of SE sent this game into its prolonged development state. Assisting with XIII when it was having problems, assisting with XIV when it had problems, moving platforms. Many outward things caused XV's delay.

Most AAA games have outsourced studios help with assets and code. Last of Us did it. Assassins Creed does it. Call of duty did it. Tri-ace helping with XIII-2 is considered outsourcing. It's something that has been going on for a long time now. This isn't news. The XV/Type-0 teams are still working on it. They are still the main team. No need to get worried because of something like that. If anything it means they're serious about getting this game out as soon as possible.

I think you're getting worried about things that you don't need to be worried about.

I am not worried. I am just trying to understand the situation and seeking some clarifications. Now that you explained how outsourcing work. I understand it.

Normally when games (and films) are announced they are usually are released within three years from announcement. Considering Final Fantasy XV has been announced like eight years ago. People would have forgotten all about it or completely lost interest about it or even think it is cancelled. Except for the dedicated fans who are eagerly waiting for any bits of information they can gather about its development.

Noi

I am curious to understand how exclusivity precisely work. Do Sony ask other companies to make an exclusive game for their platform from scratch. Or do they ask for announced game to be exclusive?

What do you mean "technically" Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn is a PlayStation exclusive? It is available on PC which negate it being PlayStation exclusive.

He said console exclusive. As in, the only place to play Final Fantasy XIV on consoles is on Playstation platforms.

For most platform exclusives, it's usually the platform holder approaching a publisher/developer and going "yo what do you want/need to make your game exclusive", with that thing usually being tons of cash.

Levyne

Banned
High FF GAF.

I dunno why I wasn't subscribed to this thread. Just fixed that :)

I am interested in Lightning Returns but I am waiting for a sale / price drop which fortunately or unfortunately I don't think with take terribly long.

To be honest, found myself refreshing my subscriptions too often looking for new posts so I am trying to just add some more, haha.

Heropon

I am interested in Lightning Returns but I am waiting for a sale / price drop which fortunately or unfortunately I don't think with take terribly long.

I'm doing the same. I didn't feel 13-2 was worth the full price after completing it and seeing all those cheap copies later didn't help. I think I can live without that game for a few days weeks. It helps that I find me not really caring one way or another about that game, which is a really sad thing when it happens to one of my favourite franchises.

Voror

I'm debating picking up LR tomorrow. I'm not likely to get to it any time soon, I plan to play XIII-2 before, and there's the whole thing about the story. I'm partly getting it for my sister as well since she'll be playing it too.

I suppose it might depend on how fast this game is likely to drop in price.

I'm debating picking up LR tomorrow. I'm not likely to get to it any time soon, I plan to play XIII-2 before, and there's the whole thing about the story. I'm partly getting it for my sister as well since she'll be playing it too.

I suppose it might depend on how fast this game is likely to drop in price.

The story only really seems to kick in when you are doing main quests or you are sent back to the ark at the end of the day. From what I've played, 90% of it is just running around helping people and they've either got sob stories to deal with or general funny stuff to say

That said, I wouldn't drop 60 it since it looks a bit budget. 40 is a better sweet spot

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
sonicgaf, why are you buying lightning returns

this is jak 2 all over again
You know what sucks? You know how every few months, someone plays Jak II? I have the Jak & Daxter Collection. I've been putting it off for a looong time and probably will continue doing so because I do not want to be the next person to play Jak II out of all of us. I would play some of the worst RPGs ever before I even contemplate playing Jak II.

Beef, tell you what. Instead of streaming FF7 like Bean suggested I do when I get my exams out of the way because we need to get up the Shinra Tower someday, I'll stream Lightning Returns.

You can find a way to stream Majora's Mask for more than 1fps in the meantime. :p

For some reason I feel like Prof. Beef hates everything I enjoy. First FFVI and now Jak II. While I liked Jak III more, Jak II was pretty cool even if it was just a GTA wannabe. The only thing I hated about it was the optional precursor orb side mission things. You know, when you get a brief glimpse of an orb and you have to find it within a strict time limit. Those were a pain. Besides that, it was a pretty fun game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef hates a lot of things, though.

That's his nature. The running joke is that I'm the one who hates everything, but it's really Beef who's more ruthless than I am.

With that said, I just dislike a lot that went into Jak II's reasoning for existing, and I just don't care about cutscene-driven platformers much at all. I think I don't like it in a lot of genres (and oddly enough, I've started to feel that way about FF lately, too; I don't care much about cutscenes at all). Essentially a lot of it was done as a backhanded approach to saying, "all of those platformers you liked are kid-friendly and being kid-friendly is awful."

Like, in the postmortem for that game, Daniel Arey said, "Gone were the days when coin collect-a-thons in neon bright worlds were enough to excite players. The maturing videogame audience wanted more realistic themes and intense experiences, and platform games had the decidedly uncool stigma of G-movie kiddie fare. Naughty Dog decided that if we could make JAK II more mature, add a deeper emotional layer to the action, and increase the entertainment value of the entire experience, we could reignite interest in action platforming."

Basically that language means to expand the audience by any means necessary as opposed to trying to make platforming in a 3D space palatable and renewed again. That postmortem article has a ton of interesting little tidbits with the recurring theme throughout the article leaning towards the idea that audience they had to tackle for the PS2 was entirely composed of adults, mature gamers, and narratively-driven concepts in any game. Part of it is that I don't like what Jak II represents, I just don't care about its "where's that damn fourth chaos emerald let's be all dark and edgy because we're self-conscious like a teenager" plot, and I don't like the checkpointing (despite having some admittedly-decent platforming sections) or the fact that the narrative seemed to direct the game's design direction. It's quite evident in the game, and then upon reading the postmortem article, it's a definite thing.

At least it has better gameplay than Shadow the Hedgehog. I know there are people who liked it a lot out there, and that's fine. Different strokes, different folks. And there are a lot of people on GAF who like it, too.

And...

Dammit, Beef. Why does every thread we're both involved in have to go to Jak II discussion somehow? D:

------------

While that FF8 thread is up on gaming side, I'll admit something here.

Final Fantasy VIII was the reason why I started putting highlights in my hair, lol. I just had to have the same colour Rinoa had because I thought it was cute.

Heropon

Thanks to this Jak II talk I'm contemplating buying the collection just to know how awful/good it is no matter how much SonicGAF hates it. I'm pretty sure I'll hate myself for doing that but it's a test I must pass... someday.

Banzai

I never saw what was wrong with Jak 2.
So what if it's similar to gta? How many gta-platformers are there?
So what if it has guns? It just gives jak a wider moveset, would you have liked it better if red shotgun blasts came out of jaks hands instead?

Maybe the original intention to make it more "mature" is questionable, but the end result is a fun and challenging game. I love the Jak series.

Top Bottom