• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

What are your setups, first for all? And how many quests/areas have you done and gone through?

For the most part, it can work a lot like FF13/FF13-2. You find abilities with high stagger class (check the ranks for each ability--C-A is good for stagger), and you should probably equip them. Whenever something is weak against something, you should probably spam it to stagger. What I generally like to do is, because different spells have different animation times, is gauge what the enemy is weak against elementally, and if the spell can be cast quick without you being close (ex: Aero/Thunder), I use it. If the spell is a throw attack (ex: Fire--and Blizzard is the slowest elemental spell to me), use a light slash or an attack so you can move close to the enemy and make the throw spell have less range to cross so you can do it faster. It's just like FF13 when Thunder was the fastest spell to cast since it had no travel time, and I still kinda feel that way. Most enemies in this game seem weak to fire, though, so getting close or throwing a fira or fire+ spell would be decent. I love using those four garbs you find early on in the wildlands (Ignition, Watery Chorus, etc. Those elemental ones). The + spells they have are decent enough to take them out, and they're more viable as mages for me than the actual mage garbs. I honestly used Ignition and Electronica up until the final day since it has low ATB cost per spell, but I upgraded to L'Automne and that Urban mage thing.

Are you perfect guarding? Most enemies are really really really slow to animate, so when it almost animates to hit you, guard immediately to perfect guard. If you're having more issues, equip a garb like Paladin/Quiet Guardian/Splendid Admiral and tank them up with Heavy Guard or something and debuff. Debuffs are your best friend.

Also, those merchants who are called "Adventuring Essentials" typically sell you the entire libra entry for monsters found in the area. Those libra entries basically tell you point-by-point how to take down enemies in the area. And the bosses have their own libra entries that can be found in treasure chests in the dungeons/areas where they are.

It's almost like a skill that's been developed since FF13. Since everything seems to function like FF13 but the button control is different and you lack party members, but the enemies kinda behave similarly save for a few. The thing about the FF13 games' enemies for the most part, and Noi's free to chime in for a bit since he and I have talked about it before, is that they move really slowly. So when you fight enough of them, you know their attack patterns and how they animate. You can probably time it frame-by-frame after a while of fighting them. So it's more of a matter of getting used to timing and guarding.

Using stuff like the Preta Hood and other accessories that protects against 75% of a magic/physical attack on a tank garb like Paladin/Splendid Admiral/Quiet Guardian and giving the heavy guard + debuffs/maybe some spells to stagger with would be a good idea. That way you can debuff or try to stagger without taking much damage. I did that for Caius on Normal and it was kinda funny watching Lightning constantly cast spells with Caius doing no damage to her. *shrug*

Some enemies have more than one level of stagger, so if you do have the adventuring essentials libra for those, it'll tell you what to do for Level 1 stagger and what to do for Level 2 stagger. Sometimes, it's "cast spells for level 1 stagger, then when that is achieved, physically attack for level 2 stagger". Sometimes it's a case of resource management, too, since you should manage what you do per outfit. Your performance in battle isn't necessarily what you do in battle. It's what you equip and how you customize. Just like how it's always been in the FF13 games. This game isn't any different aside from input.

And finally, do sidequests. Do tons and tons of sidequests. However many you can, because that's how you get more stats. What I like to do is do the X-1/X-2 main quests in an area first (and maybe X-3 if I can manage it) and then move on to the next area and do the X-1/X-2 quests there. The game's kinda structured in that way where they know you can't do a lot at first, so it's best to do two main quest and then move on. You'll find that you'll have plenty of time towards the end if you do 14 days in one playthrough, so with time management and constant Chronostasis, you can do it.

My philosophy for all three FF13 games is "treat everything like a Shaolong Gui". Play defensively and only play offensively when required.

OK so thanks for the advice. I began playing again this evening and I slowed down my approach to battles and thought more tactically. It's really weird to me because the game is layed out like an action adventure but you have to think about it like an RPG. It' confusing.

So I've had more success but I just find the battle system fucking stupid. Like, you can completely one-hit stagger some enemies, and yet you encounter a Schrodinger and it can annihilate you in one move if you don't kill it fast enough but in this game there's absolutely no going back from that and it can happen so easily because the healing mechanics are so limited.

I dunno, I just find it so bizarre and actually really not that enjoyable with such a weird difficulty curve. Well actually there is no difficulty curve its like random spikes and troughs. Bizarre.

Noi

Are you playing NES or DS version? Cuz one version withholds 2 classes until the end of the game, and the other withholds one unless you do wonky internet stuff.

There's a PSP version too, y'know! According to the Wiki it unlocks a quest for OK once you hit 25% of the bestiary.

Oh man, you won't even be able to ever get OK in the DS version once the DS Wifi thing goes down. That kinda sucks, although having to mail seven people with the game was ridiculous in the first place.

CorvoSol

All signs point to one thing.

znvkIuB.jpg

Did you read the last page? Cuz the last page was FULL of people saying "That's confirmed!" when like Hell it was.

EDIT: Like this post, for instance. Or this post.

So because of two posts the entire thread needed to be shut down? Exentryk had some good posts and explored the story and world. Naturally there will be some posters who will speculate and be wrong like with any pre release of a game. We had some good discussion going on there without the "lol 2018 release" posts. So it's sad to see that thread go.

CorvoSol

So because of two posts the entire thread needed to be shut down? Exentryk had some good posts and explored the story and world. Naturally there will be some posters who will speculate and be wrong like with any pre release of a game. We had some good discussion going on there without the "lol 2018 release" posts. So it's sad to see that thread go.

Do you seriously think it was just 2 posts? Come on. It's called an example. Those 2 posts are examples of a larger problem with that thread. Moving beyond this though, I would strongly urge you to, instead of jumping down my throat, go and read the reason the thread was locked. It's not a secret. It's right there at the end of the page. The problem I'm citing, and the reason I posted links to that thread in this topic, ARE NOT THE REASON IT WAS LOCKED.

So you know, instead of flying off the handle with assumptions, maybe take a breather.

injurai

Banned
Yo Famassu, I was reading through one of your posts (a great one might I add) in that XV thread I made a few weeks back. I noticed your tag "100% Likely Wrong" only to get linked to a post where you similiar break down someone's post. I almost keeled over in laughter, haha.

Keep doing the lords work.

CorvoSol

Yo Famassu, I was reading through one of your posts (a great one might I add) in that XV thread I made a few weeks back. I noticed your tag "100% Likely Wrong" only to get linked to a post where you similiar break down someone's post. I almost keeled over in laughter, haha.

Keep doing the lords work.

Does Famassu even read this thread? Kinda feel like we almost need a second FFGAF for reasons.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Got some questions regarding Dirge and Nero and would appreciate if someone could answer them.

I was a little confused about Omega as well as Nero in Dirge of Cerberus. When we see it at some point, there are shadow tentacles. Was this due to the merge between Nero and Weiss? Also, what was the deal with Nero's power? Was he actually able to open a portal to another dimension (seemingly a dark, empty one) as well as travel and bring captives to other dimensions as seen with the battle with him in that area with the rocks, lava and chains? And I guess my final question would be does Omega have that power after the merger?

Wasn't just those. It was this and this and so on

It was a speculation thread. We haven't had any new info since E3 almost 9 months ago and if what Kagari says is true, we won't have any substantial info until TGS at the earliest. People were making assumptions, acting like stuff was confirmed when it wasn't, and spew utter fan fiction. Last thing we need is another Dinosaur Vergil (yes, people actually believed that).

Windam

Scaley member
So uh... was it ever explained whether or not there'll be a follow-up to Dirge of Cerberus? Bringing Genesis back after his self-imposed exile, what would there be for him to do? I mean, Cloud and co. have pretty much got shit covered in terms of protecting the world, and Genesis missed out on all the events of FFVII and Advent Children, so... would they just turn him into a misguided villain believing he'll save the world while actually trying to destroy it or something? Something I've wondered about since I beat DoC like 7 years ago. :/

CorvoSol

Actually I'm not sure all of a sudden. What reasons are you referring to?

Mostly just that there's some friction between some FF fans and the rest of this community, and while I feel it's a lamentable split that those fans don't feel comfortable posting in this thread, I also feel the best solution would almost be a secondary thread for them, haha. It's not an easy concept for me to articulate.

Darkmakaimura

So uh... was it ever explained whether or not there'll be a follow-up to Dirge of Cerberus? Bringing Genesis back after his self-imposed exile, what would there be for him to do? I mean, Cloud and co. have pretty much got shit covered in terms of protecting the world, and Genesis missed out on all the events of FFVII and Advent Children, so... would they just turn him into a misguided villain believing he'll save the world while actually trying to destroy it or something? Something I've wondered about since I beat DoC like 7 years ago. :/
Not sure about a follow up, but there was this.

injurai

Banned
Mostly just that there's some friction between some FF fans and the rest of this community, and while I feel it's a lamentable split that those fans don't feel comfortable posting in this thread, I also feel the best solution would almost be a secondary thread for them, haha. It's not an easy concept for me to articulate.

Are you talking about the FF people that deny it used to have an anime aesthetic, or the people that won't hear anything bad said about Lightning?

I feel this is 90% a nostalgia thread, replay thread, and weighted towards IX and prior.

CorvoSol

Are you talking about the FF people that deny it used to have an anime aesthetic, or the people that won't hear anything bad said about Lightning?

I feel this is 90% a nostalgia thread, replay thread, and weighted towards IX and prior.

I think this thread is actually pretty accepting of 10-12 and 14, too. I'm mostly joking about a separate thread. Just that there are some FF fans on GAF who I don't think get along with the rest of the community that well.

Wazzy

Banned
The only game that is pretty poorly regarded in here is the XIII series and even then, there's a few of us who enjoyed XIII but dislike the sequels.

CorvoSol

The only game that is pretty poorly regarded in here is the XIII series and even then, there's a few of us who enjoyed XIII but dislike the sequels.

Honestly the issue is less "Did you like XIII" and more "Are you a fan of Square's current practices," if I had to put a pin on it. Because in this thread I've seen plenty of people talk about modern SE FF games, like XIV and LR and BD, and a fair amount of positive commentary about modern FF games mixed in with fair criticism of them as well, but what splinters the community is that one side says "Haha Square's modern business practices are SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" and the other side defends those practices rather, shall we say, vehemently.

injurai

Banned
I think this thread is actually pretty accepting of 10-12 and 14, too. I'm mostly joking about a separate thread. Just that there are some FF fans on GAF who I don't think get along with the rest of the community that well.

I certainly would say I lean towards the X-XII crowd. I guess I'm oblivious to any friction, preference plays out all the time on gaf so I shrug most of it off. Diversity is the spice of life. What I do enjoy about this thread is that topics between the various games and spin-offs cycle regularly.

Noi

I'm not sure how this thread qualifies as a nostalgia thread when we argue about bad points for damn near every one of the games every couple of pages. If anything, we're more critical of the older entries that we've spent more time with.

Because we care enough to do criticism in the first place.

CorvoSol

I'm not sure how this thread qualifies as a nostalgia thread when we argue about bad points for damn near every one of the games every couple of pages. If anything, we're more critical of the older entries that we've spent more time with.

Haha, I was actually pondering inviting Schala to discuss the pros and cons of FF6 with me today when I was like "It's been way too little time since we last did FF4."

Darkmakaimura

Hmmm, I still have yet to play XIII but I'm close to the end of XIII-2. I'm rather enjoying it although I'd prefer an overworld that attached all the different areas as opposed to a "Time Matrix". The game would be full of much awesome if it had that an overworld, but in the case of the story (time travel) I understand why. This is why I think I would LOVE Lightning Returns.

On that note, I miss the overworlds. The last Final Fantasy game I know of that had a more traditional overworld was Final Fantasy Type-0. I want more traditional worlds maps with towns and dungeons but I may be asking for too much. :(

CorvoSol

Hmmm, I still have yet to play XIII but I'm close to the end of XIII-2. I'm rather enjoying it although I'd prefer an overworld that attached all the different areas as opposed to a "Time Matrix". The game would be full of much awesome if it had that an overworld, but in the case of the story (time travel) I understand why. This is why I think I would LOVE Lightning Returns.

In all honesty, I didn't hate XIII-2 until I'd beaten it. As its own thing, separated from FF13, it's just a goofy game about a goofy girl and her cheesy not-boyfriend having the most poorly thought out time travel adventure possible, and I'd've been okay with that.

But when you try to fit it into the context of FF13's established world, it's positively maddening.

Darkmakaimura

In all honesty, I didn't hate XIII-2 until I'd beaten it. As its own thing, separated from FF13, it's just a goofy game about a goofy girl and her cheesy not-boyfriend having the most poorly thought out time travel adventure possible, and I'd've been okay with that.

But when you try to fit it into the context of FF13's established world, it's positively maddening.
I'm so close to the end. I'm at the
Academia where it's all fractured and consists of floating blocks.
I'm assuming that is the last area and I'm hoping my experience is better than your's but we'll see....

CorvoSol

I'm so close to the end. I'm at the
Academia where it's all fractured and consists of floating blocks.
I'm assuming that is the last area and I'm hoping my experience is better than your's but we'll see....

Well I mean, if you didn't play FF13 I think a lot of what pissed me off won't register to you as something to be pissed off about.

I don't think that's fair to say. People are constantly in here debating on the positive as well as the negative points of each FF game. And while I didn't go into great detail (one of these days I'll do a write up), no one jumped down my throat when I admitted I wasn't really enjoying FF VII. They respectfully disagreed, but that's completely fine.

Well I mean, if you didn't play FF13 I think a lot of what pissed me off won't register to you as something to be pissed off about.

Same with me. On their (XIII-2 and LR) own, they're just poorly told, quirky stories with some interesting ideas that didn't pan out in the slightest. Link it back to XIII, which I actually liked well enough, and then you start getting the rage.

Wazzy

Banned
Honestly the issue is less "Did you like XIII" and more "Are you a fan of Square's current practices," if I had to put a pin on it. Because in this thread I've seen plenty of people talk about modern SE FF games, like XIV and LR and BD, and a fair amount of positive commentary about modern FF games mixed in with fair criticism of them as well, but what splinters the community is that one side says "Haha Square's modern business practices are SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" and the other side defends those practices rather, shall we say, vehemently.
Yeah you're right. I just was discussing the idea that we only like pre IX games.

On that note, I miss the overworlds. The last Final Fantasy game I know of that had a more traditional overworld was Final Fantasy Type-0. I want more traditional worlds maps with towns and dungeons but I may be asking for too much. :(
I think a lot of what we hate in XIII-2 won't bother you since you've never played XIII. I think on it's own, the game is fun with a good OST.

You'll see what we mean when you play XIII. :p

Darkmakaimura

Another reason I need to play XIII but I'd be lying if I didn't say the story is "wtf". Should I try to wrap my head around it?

I already kind of know what XIII is about but that said, I'll need to get a copy when I can grab one real cheap.

Darkmakaimura

Don't. Just... don't. There is nothing to gain from trying to understand the true motivations of Etro or stuff like that.
Would be nice if Square could kind of go back to more simpler stories like the one in Bravely Default. In fact, Square should make at least a FF spin-off game like BD (again with the traditional world maps, towns and dungeons, etc.)

I think we're far too open-minded about the quality of each FF title for a large amount of the community. I still remember that awful Wired "FF is dead" thread lol

Noi

The day I replay FF3, I'll have to look up a guide to getting Max HP. I never liked that HP growth was limited to the jobs you picked and you could get screwed to having low HP forever through that.

injurai

Banned

I don't think that's fair to say. People are constantly in here debating on the positive as well as the negative points of each FF game. And while I didn't go into great detail (one of these days I'll do a write up), no one jumped down my throat when I admitted I wasn't really enjoying FF VII. They respectfully disagreed, but that's completely fine.

I explained myself wrong. This is the exact quality I enjoy about this thread. But when I get nostalgic over a series I often like dissecting how the series made grounds over it's course. Guess nostalgia usually implies rose tinted glasses.

Side point, just found out I lost my FF1 save. Ugh can't believe I'll have to start over. I got distracted due to school, and didn't back it up during a reformat.

Top Bottom