• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Red Mage

I really really liked The Last Remnant. Irrationally so. It's likely my favorite game of the past generation.

Before I say more, every other game you've listed is a 360 game, would this be the 360 version?

Yes. Botched version, I take it?

If you play The Last Remnant, play the PC version. Soooooooooo much better and it has fixes for stuff that didn't work well in the 360 version. Definitely one of the best games of the generation with a fantastic battle system.

Don't have a 360, but I've heard tons of good stuff about Blue Dragon and I've been poked multiple times to play it. Lost Odyssey has a great soundtrack. Infinite Undiscovery is a game that I'm completely in the dark about.

...I need to get my own 360 one day.

I plan to do so soon. Debating on waiting for a price drop or doing it now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes. Botched version, I take it?
More that there are differences that makes the PC version more palatable.

For example, there's a turbo mode for battle animations in the PC version which is a nice luxury. It also has a NG+ that the 360 version didn't. A lot of the battle and character and item stats got overhauled for the PC version to make things a little more balanced (or maybe unbalanced for some people since enemies are stronger... but on the bright side, the stat cap is no longer in place so you can raise stats to 255 for everyone). It has new formations, new arcanas, etc. Healing doesn't raise morale anymore, and morale overall is based more on conditions so it's more dynamic than static. You can also compose unions of leader characters if you want, and there are new classes.

There's just lots and lots of stuff. So PC is definitely the way to go for the fixes, flexibility, added stuff, and better framerate.

I plan to do so soon. Debating on waiting for a price drop or doing it now.
I've been waiting for a price drop for soooo long, haha.

Levyne

Banned
Botched is a bit strong, I still put 100 hours into that version. But it's also not far off. Obviously, the core gameplay is the same, but you will have performance issues and also important things that the PC version tweaked for the better.

So performance, you will have slowdown, choppiness, texture pop in, screen tearing. It's quite a mess, to be honest. But no crashes or freezes to my memory, the game is not unplayable.

However, you become limited in the amount of leaders (read, party members) you can use to the absurd number of six (of 18 total people in your 'army'). It's just a dumb limitation that means you have to fill your rank with generic soldiers, which aren't as interesting or useful as the large number of unique characters you encounter.

The second major change is the inability to toggle usable skills for units on and off. This means if you have a melee focused unit learn a magic spell (by accident or happenstance), they may sometimes use that spell to poor effect. You have some control by surrounding the union they are in with melee classes, and especially by making sure the leader of the union is a class of the focus you want, but it's a missing piece of micromanagement that's nice to have.

There's other little tweaks like the turbo mode for battles, dlc included, stuff like that. I think the morale system is made more important/dynamic as well.

Seda

The second major change is the inability to toggle usable skills for units on and off. This means if you have a melee focused unit learn a magic spell (by accident or happenstance), they may sometimes use that spell to poor effect. You have some control by surrounding the union they are in with melee classes, and especially my making sure the leader of the union is a class of the focus you want, but it's a missing piece of micromanagement that's nice to have.

Managing without this in the 360 version was a bit painful.

No Torgal, stop trying to use Magic Missle!

I... like (?) The Last Remnant so far after 7 or 8 hours. I mean, the soundtrack is pretty nice, some of the characters seem okay (Emma Honeywell is awesome), and the combat seems interesting enough... I just don't think it's enough to carry the game for another 40 hours, but we'll see. And Rush Sykes... dude, pull your head out of your ass. I mean, according to the wiki he is 18 (doesn't sound or look it), so I expect some deeper critical thinking out of the guy. I get that he's worried about his sister, but he keeps making the same damn mistakes over and over again. How many times does the guy need to rush (no pun intended, though maybe that's the entire reason for his name) into a situation only for that situation to blow up in his face for him to try something, anything, else other than to bum rush headlong into the enemy? It never works, yet he keeps on doing it! Oh, and then there's his moments of brilliance like
not waiting a couple of days to be able to bring an entire army with him and just goes "Fine, I don't need you guys!" Again, I get that he's worried about his sister, but he's one fucking 18 year old against another entire army. THINK ABOUT IT, SYKES!

Seda

I'm dead serious when I say The Last Remnant might be my favorite Square Soft/Enix game.

The opposition would be Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V/X/X-2/XII, Tactics Ogre, or TWEWY I guess.

Last Remnant's union system is just so damn fun. I must have put 300 hours into it across 3 or 4 playthroughs.

But to get back to Red Mage's original point, I would pick either of the Mistwalker games over the 360 version of TLR. I give Blue Dragon the slight edge. Make sure you play on Hard.

SougoXIII

I'm dead serious when I say The Last Remnant might be my favorite Square Soft/Enix game.

You know what? I like you.

I'll play The Last Remnant once the PS3 version is out. :)

Why must you played with my broken heart? :(

Edit: Red Mage, I would recommend getting Infinite Undiscovery. Sure the plot goes to trash after disc 1 but the combat's fun enough to ignore it. If you're picking up Last Remnant then you must go for the PC version, no question asked. It's just the superior version.

What are your setups, first for all? And how many quests/areas have you done and gone through?

For the most part, it can work a lot like FF13/FF13-2. You find abilities with high stagger class (check the ranks for each ability--C-A is good for stagger), and you should probably equip them. Whenever something is weak against something, you should probably spam it to stagger. What I generally like to do is, because different spells have different animation times, is gauge what the enemy is weak against elementally, and if the spell can be cast quick without you being close (ex: Aero/Thunder), I use it. If the spell is a throw attack (ex: Fire--and Blizzard is the slowest elemental spell to me), use a light slash or an attack so you can move close to the enemy and make the throw spell have less range to cross so you can do it faster. It's just like FF13 when Thunder was the fastest spell to cast since it had no travel time, and I still kinda feel that way. Most enemies in this game seem weak to fire, though, so getting close or throwing a fira or fire+ spell would be decent. I love using those four garbs you find early on in the wildlands (Ignition, Watery Chorus, etc. Those elemental ones). The + spells they have are decent enough to take them out, and they're more viable as mages for me than the actual mage garbs. I honestly used Ignition and Electronica up until the final day since it has low ATB cost per spell, but I upgraded to L'Automne and that Urban mage thing.

Are you perfect guarding? Most enemies are really really really slow to animate, so when it almost animates to hit you, guard immediately to perfect guard. If you're having more issues, equip a garb like Paladin/Quiet Guardian/Splendid Admiral and tank them up with Heavy Guard or something and debuff. Debuffs are your best friend.

Also, those merchants who are called "Adventuring Essentials" typically sell you the entire libra entry for monsters found in the area. Those libra entries basically tell you point-by-point how to take down enemies in the area. And the bosses have their own libra entries that can be found in treasure chests in the dungeons/areas where they are.

It's almost like a skill that's been developed since FF13. Since everything seems to function like FF13 but the button control is different and you lack party members, but the enemies kinda behave similarly save for a few. The thing about the FF13 games' enemies for the most part, and Noi's free to chime in for a bit since he and I have talked about it before, is that they move really slowly. So when you fight enough of them, you know their attack patterns and how they animate. You can probably time it frame-by-frame after a while of fighting them. So it's more of a matter of getting used to timing and guarding.

Using stuff like the Preta Hood and other accessories that protects against 75% of a magic/physical attack on a tank garb like Paladin/Splendid Admiral/Quiet Guardian and giving the heavy guard + debuffs/maybe some spells to stagger with would be a good idea. That way you can debuff or try to stagger without taking much damage. I did that for Caius on Normal and it was kinda funny watching Lightning constantly cast spells with Caius doing no damage to her. *shrug*

Some enemies have more than one level of stagger, so if you do have the adventuring essentials libra for those, it'll tell you what to do for Level 1 stagger and what to do for Level 2 stagger. Sometimes, it's "cast spells for level 1 stagger, then when that is achieved, physically attack for level 2 stagger". Sometimes it's a case of resource management, too, since you should manage what you do per outfit. Your performance in battle isn't necessarily what you do in battle. It's what you equip and how you customize. Just like how it's always been in the FF13 games. This game isn't any different aside from input.

And finally, do sidequests. Do tons and tons of sidequests. However many you can, because that's how you get more stats. What I like to do is do the X-1/X-2 main quests in an area first (and maybe X-3 if I can manage it) and then move on to the next area and do the X-1/X-2 quests there. The game's kinda structured in that way where they know you can't do a lot at first, so it's best to do two main quest and then move on. You'll find that you'll have plenty of time towards the end if you do 14 days in one playthrough, so with time management and constant Chronostasis, you can do it.

My philosophy for all three FF13 games is "treat everything like a Shaolong Gui". Play defensively and only play offensively when required.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll hopefully get a chance to boot up the game this weekend at some point and I can tell you what my set-up looks like. I'm very early in the game. I'm chasing Snow around one place, and waiting for midnight to get a the final digit in a passcode in another?

I think the whole time aspect of this game panics me. I feel really unsettled about playing a game against a clock when I'm the type of person who likes to search every corner and speak to every NPC.

Also, I think in battle I'm just treating it like an action game and i'm blowing all 3 ATB bars. Maybe I need to chill out more and play defensively like you said.

XIII and XIII-2 I really understood the mechanics and I was good at those games. LR - even if it does operate on the same principles is just really throwing me.

Noi

The time mechanic is really half-assed when you consider that, if you really feel like listening to everything Hope has to say without cutting him off, you have to sit around and waste time to do so.

Wazzy

Banned
Wow that GT list is garbage. Not including VIII is ridiculous.

While I feel that Persona 4 is severely overhype, it's a pretty good game and is currently the best game the vita have to offer. (That's a bit depressing actually T-T )
I like the Vita's collection of games. :p

But yeah as soon as I finish BD I'll make sure to play P4.
Not sure if posted in another thread, but FF/cosplay themed wedding in Philippines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bxIuBVWTXE

That's pretty awesome. I loved the SeeD uniform. :D

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Lightning Returns Yusnaan Spoiler

What do you guys think of Lightning's fantabulous dance of destruction in a gown?

That it was one of those "final fantasy moments" that make one Final Fantasy, like the Opera Scene in VI or the attack on Edea during the party ect. ~
Amazing scene. Too bad it wasn't an FMV, it deserved it.

Btw after 36 hrs I finished the story of LR: FFXIII, I really liked it overall. I expected a "bit" more from the ending, but I think I'm ok with it. It was a long and satisfying journey. Now heads up for a new future of FF stories with XV & co. ^_^

injurai

Banned
Perfo you're like a straight line, loving every entry

everyone else is a sine wave when it comes to the ff games

maybe people will all sync up again in loving xv, I hope that's the case.

The time mechanic is really half-assed when you consider that, if you really feel like listening to everything Hope has to say without cutting him off, you have to sit around and waste time to do so.

I don't understand what you're talking about..? Time stands still in the Ark. It also stands still during cutscenes, battles and in menus.

Perfo

Perfo you're like a straight line, loving every entry

everyone else is a sine wave when it comes to the ff games

maybe people will all sync up again in loving xv, I hope that's the case.

I'll never get people complaining about this series, as if they have any alternative to go for.

yeah... tales of, lol.

It's FF or nothing. And I can't live without my FFs. They still deliver on many aspects other games can only dream of.

CorvoSol

I'll never get people complaining about this series, as if they have any alternative to go for.

yeah... tales of, lol.

It's FF or nothing. And I can't live without my FFs. They still deliver on many aspects other games can only dream of.

SMT exists. I mean, SMT4's ending was disappointing and it's Law and Chaos sides hilariously 1 note, but it still had a better plot than anything in the Lightning Saga.

Heropon

SMT exists. I mean, SMT4's ending was disappointing and it's Law and Chaos sides hilariously 1 note, but it still had a better plot than anything in the Lightning Saga.

SMTIV hasn't been released in Europe yet... But even if it isn't an option there are lots of good RPGs out there. It's just a matter of having an open mind and if it's a matter of risk aversion then one can take advantage of sales or borrowing copies from other people to expand horizons.

CorvoSol

SMTIV hasn't been released in Europe yet... But even if it isn't an option there are lots of good RPGs out there. It's just a matter of having an open mind and if it's a matter of risk aversion then one can take advantage of sales or borrowing copies from other people to expand horizons.

I can't believe Europe still doesn't have SMT4. I bought that game in August of last year.

Noi

..... remind me why does the 3ds have region lock again? -_-

originalzwupk.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

yeah... tales of, lol.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of other RPGs out there from other companies that I love. I may import Tales games on a regular basis, I don't think that I've come to love an RPG series as much as Suikoden (ie: going out of my way to get soundtracks, arrange albums, art books, etc). The Kiseki series comes awfully close and for good reason due to them feeling utterly natural and they flow well. I genuinely like that we're seeing more SMT/Persona games over in the west more often now, so that's a good thing for me. So, no. Rashly isolating one series (whose games don't often even get localized here) as the only alternative that people want to play isn't fair at all. Not when there are a plethora of RPGs and series available across various systems.

I see it as being able to constructively criticize what you like the most. It is unacceptable to constantly say you love everything about a game or series if you aren't being honest. Now it can certainly be the case where you genuinely love every single game in a series (heck, I know that's the case), but you certainly have to see things from other people's perspectives and completely invalidating what they like isn't the best thing to do either. That's what being fair, respectful, and mature is all about. I may be 25-going-on-26 and certainly not as old as some people on GAF are, but I do try to keep my head cool enough to be fair to everyone else.

When I'm making fun of a game or something, I'm half-kidding. I just can't take games/consoles as seriously as other people do because in the grander scheme of things, there are far more important things in life than programs on discs/floppies or boxes of plastic and metal. I suppose that's why I'd simply gotten sick of arguing in various threads. It's not worth getting wound up over.

For example, Suikoden II is my favourite game, ever, but I know it's not a perfect game. It is far from a perfect game. It's glitchy, the systems aren't a lot to brag about, and its balancing isn't that difficult. But at the same time, I love that game to death and I'm not afraid to criticize it when need be. Just like how I'm not afraid to be critical towards Suikoden III, give Suikoden IV some due, and why I respect Suikoden I and V a lot. Being fair about a series that you adore isn't that you love everything about it; it's that you can constructively criticize and offer suggestions for what the games in the series can do in the future. I love this series, but it's not perfect. And it's basically dead, so... *shrug*. No game or series is ever perfect.

So in a nutshell, that's why I guess I'm not as zealous towards video games series as some other people are. That's why half the time I roll my eyes at stuff like this, because I just... can't do it. That's why I usually say "I agree to disagree" because people know where I'm coming from. They know where I'm coming from. We're not going to change our opinions but we get each other. That's what Corvo and I do. That's what tigger and I do sometimes, too (hell, we did that a lot in the past in other threads).

While you don't do it, sometimes it astonishes me that some people treat video games as though they are things that have feelings, or that companies will be hurt if you don't like their games. Video games are not things that are personified. They don't have feelings that you can hurt. Video game companies are not your friends, either. If you don't like their games, you don't like their games. If you don't like something about their games, that's fine. I've done it--I've tried so hard to find something I can like about a game in a series when I was younger, and I just couldn't do it after a while. That's why I've started to drop games lately or not bother to plat them. It's not worth it if you just dislike it. It's about the bottom line and turning a profit than being in the red. Sometimes it relates to making the customer happy, but at the same time, they cannot make everyone happy.

So, yeah, I just felt the need to respond to this. It's something I've wanted to say for a while with respect to rashly lashing out to/invalidating other people at times for not having the same opinions as you do and being somewhat dismissive towards what they like.

(Though if this is part of some elaborate effort to rile people up and shift attention, then I dunno.)

HTupolev

Supposing there isn't another thing that's trying to be Final Fantasy, if you don't like the current state of Final Fantasy, then you have nothing to scratch that itch.

Makes a ton of sense that people would complain, really.

CorvoSol

I see it as being able to constructively criticize what you like the most. It is unacceptable to constantly say you love everything about a game or series if you aren't being honest. Now it can certainly be the case where you genuinely love every single game in a series (heck, I know that's the case), but you certainly have to see things from other people's perspectives and completely invalidating what they like isn't the best thing to do either. That's what being fair, respectful, and mature is all about. I may be 25-going-on-26 and certainly not as old as some people on GAF are, but I do try to keep my head cool enough to be fair to everyone else.

I would like to add that I feel a good sign of something you love is being able to criticize and accept criticism of that thing. I love FF7, but the game has its flaws, and I should feel comfortable in criticizing and accepting criticism of FF7 without feeling like that's threatening my love of the thing. I actually like FF13, but it's not above reproach and so I should be comfortable with the things said about it without fearing that that will damage my opinion of it.

It doesn't mean I have to accept all criticism, but it does mean I should be willing and able to acknowledge valid criticism. I think a good example of this is FF4. Schala makes a LOT of good points about things that aren't that great about FF4. I can acknowledge those points but it doesn't mean I have to reach the same conclusion as her while I do it.

On a franchise wide basis it should become clear what that means: I love FF, but I should be able to see it for what it is, flaws and all.

And Lord only knows that I should be able to see the good in other RPG series as well.

Anyone who takes videogames and especially criticism of their favorite videogames far too seriously or personal, needs to lighten up or...something.

I just like to poke fun at games, even the ones I love. And I often have fun arguing/discussing with folk like Schala or Corvo. All in good fun.

Levyne

Banned
Part of me feels like I need to branch out to more Japanese rpg series, but at the same time in the initial version of this post, I find I can write down a fairly large number of series/companies that I'm more or less well versed in (well, unless you line me up against Aeana or Seda). I guess waiting for localization is a big limitation. Also avoiding whole groups of games if I hear nothing but (or near nothing but) bad word of mouth for, such as the Legend of Heroes entries on PSP, or Gust games (in general, there's a large number of them with varying reception).

Anyway, talking about favorite series and criticisms of them, I guess I've already talked about mine a couple times (Fire Emblem). In fact my goty post for awakening, upon re-read, seems more negative than positive >_>

CorvoSol

Part of me feels like I need to branch out to more Japanese rpg series, but at the same time in the initial version of this post, I find I can write down a fairly large number of series/companies that I'm more or less well versed in (well, unless you line me up against Aeana or Seda). I guess waiting for localization is a big limitation. Also avoiding whole groups of games if I hear nothing but (or near nothing but) bad word of mouth for, such as the Legend of Heroes entries on PSP, or Gust games (in general, there's a large number of them with varying reception).

Anyway, talking about favorite series and criticisms of them, I guess I've already talked about mine a couple times (Fire Emblem). In fact my goty post for awakening, upon re-read, seems more negative than positive >_>

I've been branching out lately. Fire Emblem (Schala really wants me to play FE12, but I still need to finish FE11 and my replay of Awakening), Dragon Quest (Played 9 a year or so back, now I'm trying to do 4), Persona/SMT, and Tales (I'm playing Abyss. It's a game.). Kinda feel like there's some other major JRPG franchise I'm neglecting, but I can't think of what it is.

Levyne

Banned
Dragon quest is a good one. With a few ds/3ds entries I don't have an excuse. Only one I've played is VIII, which I actually enjoyed a fair bit.

SougoXIII

I've been branching out lately. Fire Emblem (Schala really wants me to play FE12, but I still need to finish FE11 and my replay of Awakening), Dragon Quest (Played 9 a year or so back, now I'm trying to do 4), Persona/SMT, and Tales (I'm playing Abyss. It's a game.). Kinda feel like there's some other major JRPG franchise I'm neglecting, but I can't think of what it is.

As far as major JRPG series go, I think you can try the some of Tri-ace's stuff (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile etc..)

If you're looking for something different, the Atelier series is pretty... weird. I'm not sure what to say about it: It felt like work for most of the time but somehow they managed to get me buying all 4 games, the vita ports and looking forward to the 5th one.... Yeahhhh

For what it's worth, there are a lot of other RPGs out there from other companies that I love. I may import Tales games on a regular basis, I don't think that I've come to love an RPG series as much as Suikoden (ie: going out of my way to get soundtracks, arrange albums, art books, etc). The Kiseki series comes awfully close and for good reason due to them feeling utterly natural and they flow well. I genuinely like that we're seeing more SMT/Persona games over in the west more often now, so that's a good thing for me. So, no. Rashly isolating one series (whose games don't often even get localized here) as the only alternative that people want to play isn't fair at all. Not when there are a plethora of RPGs and series available across various systems.

When I'm making fun of a game or something, I'm half-kidding. I just can't take games/consoles as seriously as other people do because in the grander scheme of things, there are far more important things in life than programs on discs/floppies or boxes of plastic and metal. I suppose that's why I'd simply gotten sick of arguing in various threads. It's not worth getting wound up over.

For example, Suikoden II is my favourite game, ever, but I know it's not a perfect game. It is far from a perfect game. It's glitchy, the systems aren't a lot to brag about, and its balancing isn't that difficult. But at the same time, I love that game to death and I'm not afraid to criticize it when need be. Just like how I'm not afraid to be critical towards Suikoden III, give Suikoden IV some due, and why I respect Suikoden I and V a lot. Being fair about a series that you adore isn't that you love everything about it; it's that you can constructively criticize and offer suggestions for what the games in the series can do in the future. I love this series, but it's not perfect. And it's basically dead, so... *shrug*. No game or series is ever perfect.

So in a nutshell, that's why I guess I'm not as zealous towards video games series as some other people are. That's why half the time I roll my eyes at stuff like this, because I just... can't do it. That's why I usually say "I agree to disagree" because people know where I'm coming from. They know where I'm coming from. We're not going to change our opinions but we get each other. That's what Corvo and I do. That's what tigger and I do sometimes, too (hell, we did that a lot in the past in other threads).

While you don't do it, sometimes it astonishes me that some people treat video games as though they are things that have feelings, or that companies will be hurt if you don't like their games. Video games are not things that are personified. They don't have feelings that you can hurt. Video game companies are not your friends, either. If you don't like their games, you don't like their games. If you don't like something about their games, that's fine. I've done it--I've tried so hard to find something I can like about a game in a series when I was younger, and I just couldn't do it after a while. That's why I've started to drop games lately or not bother to plat them. It's not worth it if you just dislike it. It's about the bottom line and turning a profit than being in the red. Sometimes it relates to making the customer happy, but at the same time, they cannot make everyone happy.

So, yeah, I just felt the need to respond to this. It's something I've wanted to say for a while with respect to rashly lashing out to/invalidating other people at times for not having the same opinions as you do and being somewhat dismissive towards what they like.

(Though if this is part of some elaborate effort to rile people up and shift attention, then I dunno.)

Very well said and thank you for devoting so much time to these long posts. You have nothing but respect from me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm so looking forward to posting the Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD OT.

I've created it 8 months ago and it needs a wee bit of updating. :/

Perfo

Wait a sec. though. When I say there are no alternatives I must compare with "similar" games, and I don't think you can find any other AAA (or AA+) jRPG like Final Fantasy now in the market. That's what I mean. Sure there are more jRPGs, many worth, but there's no big budget FF-like title to choose from. So if you want that type of experience, it's FF or nothing.

If you like FPSs on the other way, AAA FPSs, you know you have call of duty, halo, battlefield and other hundreds.

That's what I meant. Of course it's full of beautiful jRPGs. You think I didn't love Crimson Shroud for example? Or Bravely Default? But FF is another thing. FF is THE jRPG blockbuster you can't skip.

Wazzy

Banned
I haven't even preordered yet but it's my most anticipated game right now. Vita version will release that day, right?

Top Bottom