• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
They did, it's called Final Fantasy XIV!

I'll show myself the door.
I never quite understood why XI and XIV are numbered FF games being MMOs but I never counted them. Maybe it's my own personal bias.

Do you seriously think it was just 2 posts? Come on. It's called an example. Those 2 posts are examples of a larger problem with that thread. Moving beyond this though, I would strongly urge you to, instead of jumping down my throat, go and read the reason the thread was locked. It's not a secret. It's right there at the end of the page. The problem I'm citing, and the reason I posted links to that thread in this topic, ARE NOT THE REASON IT WAS LOCKED.

So you know, instead of flying off the handle with assumptions, maybe take a breather.

I wasn't jumping down your thoat but I apologize if it came off like that. I wasn't upset at you or anyone else for that matter on the thread. I wasn't flying off the handle either. I just wanted a serious reason why that thread was locked or why you personally felt that thread should've been locked. I am not aiming any frustrations or lamenting blame onto community members.

Unfortunately tone doesn't translate very well into text so this was more miscommunication than anything else. I apologize for that too. I should've been more assertive in what I was saying.

Wasn't just those. It was this and this and so on

It was a speculation thread. We haven't had any new info since E3 almost 9 months ago and if what Kagari says is true, we won't have any substantial info until TGS at the earliest. People were making assumptions, acting like stuff was confirmed when it wasn't, and spew utter fan fiction. Last thing we need is another Dinosaur Vergil (yes, people actually believed that).

I see what you mean. Yes I believe certain posters were being liberal with what information they do know. The OP I believe was being pretty earnest and was sharing what little information he could derive from the trailers.

And Kagari along with some other posters are assuming it won't be at E3. She has said multiple times that, that's what she believes and not what she knows. We all said KH3 wouldn't be at E3 and yet it showed. I've learned to just ride with the tide and go with the follow. If it's there, great my assumption was right. If it's not, Kagari's assumption was right and I will owe her lunch.

I just think the preemptive shrugging off of FFXV being at E3 is not really fair to it or any game that it's done to. Let's just wait for E3 before we get upset at SE for not showing FFXV...

I don't think that's fair to say. People are constantly in here debating on the positive as well as the negative points of each FF game. And while I didn't go into great detail (one of these days I'll do a write up), no one jumped down my throat when I admitted I wasn't really enjoying FF VII. They respectfully disagreed, but that's completely fine.

We need more of this to be honest. In the end, cool heads will come out on top.

injurai

Banned
I never quite understood why XI and XIV are numbered FF games being MMOs but I never counted them. Maybe it's my own personal bias.

I half count them.

It's obvious that making them numbered encourages people to take them seriously. I don't really mind they help add some numerical padding between entries. Anything to separate XIII and XV is great in my book.

SougoXIII

Same with me. On their (XIII-2 and LR) own, they're just poorly told, quirky stories with some interesting ideas that didn't pan out in the slightest. Link it back to XIII, which I actually liked well enough, and then you start getting the rage.

Yep. The problem with XIII-2 and LR is that they have so much potential. There are a tons of things that you could explore after the events of XIII: The colonisation of Pulse by the people who have been spoon fed their whole life, how do people deal with having their whole faith/life shattered, actually exploring Pulse etc.... Instead all of this was hand waved away for a nonsensical time travel plot that only serve to be a giant reset button for it's sequel. Makes my blood boil every time I think of it -_-

I have been going through every mainline FF game these past 8 months and I gotta say it's wearing me down. At first I wanted to go through each mainline game in chronological order since that seemed... well logical.

But now I am jumping between titles because if I didn't I don't think I would be able to get very far before being burnt out. I play FF for story and characters so the first FF proved to be... difficult to play through. Status on each FF and my opinion so far.

FF - (Completed) I expected the game to have its grindy moments but I didn't expect the game to be more of a resource and Gil grind then experience grind. This is my first time playing through the original FF. I quite enjoyed it. Especially the twist at the end with Garland. It was fun. I was surprised how they used time travel well, compared to now where it makes the story convoluted in most story's that use it. It's probably because the story itself was basic but in the end it was effective.

FFII - (6 Hours in) I am finding it very difficult to push myself through this game. I actually like the initial concept of the story. But much like it's predecessor it's a heavy grind. Though I am sure I will finish it before I finish any other game on here that I haven't already completed. This is also the first time I have started FFII. (It is like this until you get to VII)

FFIII - Have not started. No opinion can be made.

FFIV - (1 hour in) First time playing it. It's amazing how much you miss ATB until you actually play a turn based game without it. It's fun but I do want to finish II & III before I come back to it.

FFV - Have not started.

FFVI - Have not started.

FFVII - (15 hours in) So I forgot how terrifying Sephiroth can be. Dude is insane. This is either my second or third time playing through the game. It's still very enjoyable. It's amazing how much the game sucks you in even almost 17 years after the game originally came out. I really want to finish this but I don't want to until I finish II &IV.

FFVIII - (30 hours in) Still my favorite FF. I know to some that's crazy but I just love almost everything about the game! The music, characters, world and CG are all great. Yeah the story goes crazy sometimes but actually playing through it there are more great moments in the story then there are crazy/bad moments. Third play through of the game I believe.

FFIX - Have not started.

FFX - I did start this but only to watch the opening CG and I am waiting for the HD Remaster. When I play the HD remaster it will be my third play through of the game.

FFXI - Have not started. And yes I do plan to start it and use up the 30 day trail.

FFXII - (25 hours in) I love, love, love the story and (most) of the characters to death. Battle system is operable and the exploration of the world is cool. That being said..... brown brown brown. I feel this is the only color palette SE used in the game with a red tint thrown in for good measure. I love Ivalice but it can't hurt to throw in some greens and blues? Anyways this is my second play through of this game. Still love Balthier. Dude is whimsical awesomeness.

FFXIII - (Completed) Yup. Second play through. Music is nice. Presentation of graphics is nice. That's all I will say. :/

FFXIV - (Oh man I don't even know) I am a level 37 Bard. Yeah I could be farther but there are so many games and I have so little money to keep paying. Will resub in April when the PS4 version comes but I am enjoying it. Well that is I am enjoying it but the grind is getting irritating. I don't like MMORPG's so the fact I stayed all the way until level 37 is impressive in of itself. Interestingly enough I am going back because I want to finish the story. Lol. I agree with the sentiment that it's a fantastic game and FF fans should give it a whirl.

Levyne

Banned
The last time I replayed an FF game was XIII before XIII-2 came out.. I keep loading up Tactics on my vita saying "ill put some time into it before bed" but it never happens. I just kind of chill and fall asleep to the battle theme >_>

The last time I replayed an FF game was XIII before XIII-2 came out.. I keep loading up Tactics on my vita saying "ill put some time into it before bed" but it never happens. I just kind of chill and fall asleep to the battle theme >_>

Lol I have Tactics and WOTL on my Vita. Every time I boot up my Vita, I always go "I should play that at some point in my FF playthrough marathon". So far I have only booted up both games twice. Heh... :/

injurai

Banned
Lol I have Tactics and WOTL on my Vita. Every time I boot up my Vita, I always go "I should play that at some point in my FF playthrough marathon". So far I have only booted up both games twice. Heh... :/

I just can't get into WOTL because of how much text dialogue, and tutorial stuff exists before the game. I don't know the story yet so I can bother to care, and I don't know the game so I can't bother to play it. I just sit there until i realize I'm not really playing a video game.

Seems like I missed out on a lot. A second FF thread for those folks would be packed with trolls.

I think Corvo was just kidding around. I don't see why we all can't just talk about FF here. It is the FF Community Thread. It entails the whole of Final Fantasy and it's fandom. Everyone who comes into the thread just needs to observe the rules set in the OP and everyone should be able to have a grand old time. :)

CorvoSol

Seems like I missed out on a lot. A second FF thread for those folks would be packed with trolls.

Strictly speaking, that's the whole point.

I think Corvo was just kidding around. I don't see why we all can't just talk about FF here. It is the FF Community Thread. It entails the whole of Final Fantasy and it's fandom. Everyone who comes into the thread just needs to observe the rules set in the OP and everyone should be able to have a grand old time. :)

For the most part I'm joking. The split's occurred naturally, and the people I think don't like to interact in this community for the most part don't, and likewise much of this community absents itself from topics where I tend to see these people. I'm not actually advocating segregation, just laughing about the schism that already exists.

Also, I can defs feel you on being burned out by marathoning the series. I did that recentlyish, and lemme tell ya, there's a reason I have been branching out and away from FF for the last while.

injurai

Banned
Strictly speaking, that's the whole point.

For the most part I'm joking. The split's occurred naturally, and the people I think don't like to interact in this community for the most part don't, and likewise much of this community absents itself from topics where I tend to see these people. I'm not actually advocating segregation, just laughing about the schism that already exists.

Also, I can defs feel you on being burned out by marathoning the series. I did that recentlyish, and lemme tell ya, there's a reason I have been branching out and away from FF for the last while.

I think it's fair to say the distinction is one group is interested in FF news, the other is interested in sustainable FF banter. Not that they are mutually exclusive.

Having a decent handful of mods surrounding this community probably keeps a few would be trouble makers from pulling antics in mainstay threads like the community.

I don't really understand the schism all that much. But I'll save that discussion for another day.

Ugh I know. I bought P4G last year to break up my FF playthroughs and ended up playing only that for about 2 weeks (my save file says it's around 75 hours of play time). So now I have P3 FES and Catherine to break up now. By the time I am done with all my playthroughs of FF I will have effectively, probably played through all of the Persona teams games in the last decade. Hahahaha... (cries in corner).

CorvoSol

Do it! It's actually what convinced me to play FF5 for the first time. I still haven't played the game "normally," come to think about it.

I'm afraid I'll get really wonky job classes like Hunter or something. I mean Hunter is great for its abilities, but I dunno that I'd play the whole game that way.

Plus Ex-Death is, to me, the last difficult Final Boss in the series, and I have this complex about him because as a kid I couldn't beat him.

I'm afraid I'll get really wonky job classes like Hunter or something. I mean Hunter is great for its abilities, but I dunno that I'd play the whole game that way.

Plus Ex-Death is, to me, the last difficult Final Boss in the series, and I have this complex about him because as a kid I couldn't beat him.

It's not as bad as people getting White Mage as their starting job. Those poor souls...

FFV was my second Final Fantasy game I beat and I felt the same way for the longest. And this is back when FFV had just been released on the Playstation.

I wish there was a NG+ or something for FFV Advance. I'd love to use those new classes, but by the time you have access to some of them, you're already prepared for the end game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There is nothing wrong with doing the Job Fiesta! I didn't get to finish mine last year since I was too busy (and thus took too much on at one time since I did natural, random, and berserker risk), but I think I'll try the same stuff this year and see if I can get it done. Dunno yet, might just do berserker/random.

But it's super-fun, esp. if you're talking with other people about it.

If you did Natural and got White Mage on your first roll, it's not that bad because you'll just get 3 freelancers to go with your White Mage.

Should I play the SNES or GBA version of FF V if I wanted to give it a try?
Both are super-fun!

dsc01090qscid.jpg

(Real talk: the GBA version, all the way)

Pappasman

I've been wanting to play FFXII for a while now but I'm having trouble deciding if the International edition is enough of an improvement over the original to justify grabbing it and an english patch.

I've never played FFXII before so if anybody here has experience with it I'd appreciate the input.

Szadek

I've been wanting to play FFXII for a while now but I'm having trouble deciding if the International edition is enough of an improvement over the original to justify grabbing it and an english patch.

I've never played FFXII before so if anybody here has experience with it I'd appreciate the input.
It's has a improved ability system and a turbo button that speeds up the game.
It also has trail mode and you can unlock new game+,strong mode(you start at level 85) and weak mode(you never level up).

The new license board and turbo button are big improvments,but you need a hacked console to play it.

CorvoSol

"Try something different, kupo!"
"Think outside the box, kupo!"

Shut up, you little shit!
PyX9rhK.gif

Step one, pick up Mog.

Step two, throw Mog at nearest sharp object.

Step three, vent UST W/Serah on Mog and his misshapen head.

Step four, poofy pants.

???

Profit.

Dizzy-4U

Step one, pick up Mog.

Step two, throw Mog at nearest sharp object.

Step three, vent UST W/Serah on Mog and his misshapen head.

Step four, poofy pants.

???

Profit.
Mmmm, that actually could be pretty fun. He's getting on my nerves, I tell you that.

Anyways, finally finished Oerba 300 and 400. Not my favorite part of the game, that's for sure. 17 temporal rifts.....it took me all day.

Levyne

Banned
I LOVE the tactics advance moogles. They are my favorite design-wise.

6S2qP9a.jpg

But it could just be that art style in general.

Top Bottom