• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

But...

BUTTTTT

How would I complete my collection? D:

Pick a different, better gun toting character and call it a day.

Like literally anyone who isn't "I can't shoot worth a damn and withhold plot crucial information because I figured y'all knew it" Irvine.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Just got home from seeing Video Games Live. They performed Liberi Fatali during the show. Let me tell you, hearing that song from a live symphony orchestra/choir?

No words. Just chills.

Wazzy

Banned
Pick a different, better gun toting character and call it a day.

Like literally anyone who isn't "I can't shoot worth a damn and withhold plot crucial information because I figured y'all knew it" Irvine.
I guess I could choose Balthie-

NO WAIT I WON'T LET YOU CHANGE MY MIND.
Just got home from seeing Video Games Live. They performed Liberi Fatali during the show. Let me tell you, hearing that song from a live symphony orchestra/choir?

No words. Just chills.
They didn't play it when I went. :(

But I saw it played at Distant Worlds and it was so amazing. I love that VIII has so many songs at DW.

Levyne

Banned
I saw distant worlds when they came to atlanta. Such a great experience. When I told my parents I went to the symphony (more like it came up in conversation) they were like :eek: and then when I told them the specifics they were like :|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I have the strength to finish FF3. It has stopped being fun and now feels like a chore.
Are you playing the crappy non-famicom version?

Your first mistake was playing the remake version.

---

Edit: So, a GAF lurker watched me play Lightning Returns for a bit last week. He had commented, during a battle, that: "This game seems like it has too many special effects that are only there to make the game look pretty." And for those of you familiar with what I like and what I dislike, I agreed. I think excessive camera pans that have nothing to do with what I'm doing (or even finishers because I think it takes too much time and I want to concentrate on the grander scope of the battle vs a camera pan for a finisher), and excessive/lengthy animations are a waste. I don't like them. I don't like that Blizzara makes a curve because it takes too long to meet the object. Aero/Aerora takes slightly longer than a Fire/Fira to meet the target, and Thunder's still fine. It's done for style for the most part, and that's partly why I said, "Oh hey, this still works under the FF13/FF13-2 principle except it's with one party member and some of the animations are different but they still have the same stuff going for it."

Also multiple staggers in a battle as a gimmick is boring as hell. At least the FF13-2 DLC battles actually tried with their gimmicks.

Kinda expect to plat it tomorrow if everything goes well.

And this is a usual thing with me. I hate long animations. I hate long story cutscenes with laboured reciting of dialogue. That's why I don't use summons or magic anymore in FF7-10, or I try not to use quickenings in FF12. It's long and boring and unnecessary, and animations take forever. It's funny because at times I can go for the style over substance stuff, but in RPGs, I just can't stand it. Probably because I was so used to reading at my own speed and can cycle through dialogue faster and would prefer battles ending quicker without stuff that drags it down like long animations to look pretty.

(This is why I appreciated Bravely Default's fast-forwarding so much. Less fuss around long animations.)

I personally love the long cinematic attacks...maybe not summons but other attacks. This is why I hated Renzokuken...had to pay attention to button prompts instead of watching Squall go nuts.

Heropon

I don't know about the original, but in the remake back attacks are even more obnoxious than usual and the enemies are always petrifying the characters. Since the 25th anniversary playthrough I have fear of coming back to that game.

And about animations, I loved flashy spells like Flare and Holy in FFIX but I couldn't stand the summons. I kind of liked that spell animations were shorter in 10 but I still missed the VFX show.

I love lots of long flashy animations. I go crazy for summons in most games for this reason. In FFIX it backfired because the Eidolons were kind of underpowered IMO and never felt worth the long animation vs how much damage they dealt.

But even things like changing Dresspheres in X-2 for the first time, I love watching each unique animation.

Also, I think it was Waterga or something in XIII - I always loved how explosive that spell felt.

wmlk

The long animations are cool at the beginning, but then get very annoying. Especially in the pure turn-based systems where you're waiting for about 15 seconds before you can even do anything.

CorvoSol

The long animations are cool at the beginning, but then get very annoying. Especially in the pure turn-based systems where you're waiting for about 15 seconds before you can even do anything.

Long animations are the devil in FF9. Imagine you're poisoned or drained or doomed and you have to wait through the enemy's stupid long flare animation or whatever. Even though you have queued the appropriate remedy, the 7 minute attack animation and the 9 year wait for a turn mean that you're screwed anyway.

Heropon

So it dawned on me that Zack Fair is just about the only FF protagonist who has a happy home life with his biological folks.

His parents must be "happy" their son was the protagonist of a prequel and not a mainline game.

Trivia: The first playable FF character that had one of her parents alive by the time she joined was Rosa.

It's easier to get your protagonist out the door and on an adventure if they don't have a home to miss or attachments they might regret losing.

I think a better question is why do all of these adventures have to mean the difference between life or death? Why do I always have to save the world? Why can't I go there and back again?! WHY?

Heropon

For some reason I feel like doing a list, let's see how are those parental relationships:

The Four Heroes of Light: The parents aren't mentioned => DEAD
Firion, Maria, Guy and Leon: As soon as their parents were killed they became RPG characters.
Minwu, Josef and Leila: Not mentioned => DEAD
Gordon and Ricard: Their kingdoms are in ruins and their citizens dead, that includes their parents.
The Four Heroes of Light (III version): They're adopted and it's explained how their parents died.
Cecil:
His mother died while giving birth and his father was killed by a bunch of morons.
Kain: His father died in the war? I don't remember but he's pretty much dead.
Rydia: Her mother was indirectly killed by our hero Cecil. Way to go, Cecil!
Tellah: I don't think his parents are a species of turtle so I'm pretty sure they're deader than dead.
Edward: His parents were killed just before becoming a party member.
Rosa: Her mother lives in Baron. The father's status isn't mentioned => DEAD
Yang, Palom and Porom: Not mentioned => DEAD
Cid: See Tellah but less exaggerated.
Edge: His parents are "alive" but they don't last long enough.
Fusoya: His parents could be sleeping or as they aren't mentioned => DEAD
Bartz: His parents died when they caught the disease that kills RPG protagonists' parents at different points in their lives.
Lenna: Her mother died thanks to a mysterious and convenient disease that kills queens. Her father is fine
until he dies.
Galuf: See Cid.
Faris: See
Lenna
Krile: CorvoSol killed them.
Terra: Her mother was presumably killed by the empire and his father became a cristalline substance. Neat!
Locke: Killed by the empire? I don't remember well but they're dead anyways.
Edgar and Sabin: God forbid having a king, a queen and two princes in the same castle so their parents died.
BANON: See Cid.
Shadow: Not mentioned => DEAD
Cyan: Not mentioned but if they were alive by the game's events they were killed during the Doma siege.
Gau: His mother died while giving birth, his father went crazy when that happened and abandoned him in the Veldt.
Celes: The ovule donor isn't mentioned at all => DEAD
Setzer, Mog, Gogo, Umaro and LEO: Not mentioned => DEAD
Strago: See Tellah.
Relm: Her mother died when she was a baby and his father disappeared.
He dies at the end of the game so she can't be an exception to the rule.
Cloud: His father isn't mentioned at all => DEAD and his mother
is killed by Sephiroth's pyromaniac tendencies.
Barret: I suppose they died long, long before the Corel incident. If not they would be at least mentioned.
Tifa: Sephiroth killed her father and the day her mother dies is mentioned.
Aerith: Her mother died after escaping from the Shinra HQ.
Her father was killed by some Shinra troops.
Red XIII: His mother died defending Cosmo Canyon and his father is a beautiful stone statue.
Yuffie: Her father is fine and rules a country with a suspicious similarity to feudal Japan. Her mother isn't mentioned => DEAD
Cait Sith: Robots don't have parents.
Reeve's parents aren't mentioned => DEAD
Vincent and Cid: Not mentioned => DEAD
Squall: He's an orphan so...
It's funny how plot significant is his situation as an orphan and ends as the only mainline hero to have one of his parents alive by the end of the game. Lucky, lucky.
Quistis, Selphie, Irvine and Seifer: They are orphans too.
Zell: His mother can be visited.
But she adopted him so his biological parents are also dead.
Rinoa: Her mother died in a car accident but her father is still alive. She doesn't get along with him, though.
Laguna, Kiros and Ward: Not mentioned => DEAD
Zidane: He's also an orphan, how surprising.
If the souls that Garland uses for the Death Emmisaries are from sleeping Terrans then his parents possibly died at the end of the third disc.
Vivi: Another orphan...
Can Kuja be considered his father? It doesn't matter because he dies too.
Garnet: Her father died a year before the events of the game and her mother is a big ugly cow
who dies during the game. Her real parents are also dead.
Steiner, Freya, Amarant and Quina: Not mentioned => DEAD
Eiko: Presumably killed ten years before the events of the game.
Tidus: His mother died of sadness and his father disappeared.
Then he became a giant monster whale and had to be killed by the party.
Yuna: Her mother was killed by Sin and her father died killing Sin.
Wakka and Lulu: Their parents were killed by Sin.
Auron and Kimahri: Not mentioned => DEAD
Rikku: Her mother was killed by a machine but her father is alive and kickin'.
Paine: Not mentioned => DEAD
Vaan and Reks: A plague killed their parents.
Penelo: Her parents died during the war.
Balthier: His mother isn't mentioned and his father is a crazy scientician
who is killed by the party.
Fran: She's a daughter of the forest or something crazy like that.
Basch: There was a war in his country and his parents died or something like that.
Ashe: The queen died by the queen killing disease and his father was killed by Gabranth.
LIGHTNING and Serah: Her parents died for plot reasons so she (Lightning) could have the most badass name ever.
Snow, Vanille and Fang: Orphans.
Sazh: He's forty years old so see Tellah.
Hope: Moms are tough. His father dies before he grows up in XIII-2 for unknown reasons.
Noel: His parents died because there weren't many resources in the ruined future he came from.

Then there are other spinoffs but that would be too much work to do.

Characters with at least one parent alive during their status as playable characters: 14
Characters with at least one parent alive after the game ends: 5.5

aceface

I thought the main theme of both FFVIII and FFX were the unintended consequences the actions of parents could have on their children's lives, no matter how well intentioned those actions might have been.

It's like whoever wrote he scenarios of those games had dads who were always away working and they were kind of thankful and resentful of that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think I've ever seen an RPG where both parents are alive for at least one character till the end of the game except Earthbound and Suikoden 2 (Inn keeping family).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I've ever seen an RPG where both parents are alive for at least one character till the end of the game except Earthbound and Suikoden 2 (Inn keeping family).
You played Tales of Xillia. There are plenty of RPGs that don't rely on parental death/orphans driving the plot.

Pls. If he played the NES version he probably would've quit even sooner. At least the remake is relatively easy.
What. No. FF3 FC handles job switching far better than the DS version does.

Way better than the DS version. And it's one of the best-looking NES games.

They should have just used moogles instead. A very odd choice for a race. The Shumi too for that matter.
Shumi were kind of random to me.

NORG's funny, though. This is your benefactor? This... blob thing living in the basement? Okaaaaaaaaaay.

CorvoSol

What. No. FF3 FC handles job switching far better than the DS version does.

Way better than the DS version. And it's one of the best-looking NES games.

Somebody is forgetting the fact that you can be attacked by hilariously large groups of monsters in FF3, I see. Job switching differences or no, the NES version of FF3 is still an NES game. That final dungeon where you can't save for the length of 3 dungeons. Yeah that right there was something I was *so* sad to see them "ruin" in the remake.

For some reason I feel like doing a list, let's see how are those parental relationships:
Krile: CorvoSol killed them.

AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, should I post the FFX HD OT now?

You played Tales of Xillia. There are plenty of RPGs that don't rely on parental death/orphans driving the plot.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Tales of the Abyss too has living parents.

Heropon

AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

That only makes her stronger.

I suppose the enemies in the original version of FF3 did moderate damage to compensate for the number of them. Likewise, I imagine they'd have less chances of inflicting status effects.
Regardless of the switch changes, I didn't like how the game forced you to use certain jobs at some points.

Ultratech

Somebody is forgetting the fact that you can be attacked by hilariously large groups of monsters in FF3, I see. Job switching differences or no, the NES version of FF3 is still an NES game. That final dungeon where you can't save for the length of 3 dungeons. Yeah that right there was something I was *so* sad to see them "ruin" in the remake.

Meh, the large mobs of monsters doesn't happen all THAT often, and past the early part of the game, you're generally equipped to deal with them (Black Magic, Summons, whatever).

I hated how they did changing Jobs in the remake, because of the stupid "sickness" BS you got when you did it.

CorvoSol

Meh, the large mobs of monsters doesn't happen all THAT often, and past the early part of the game, you're generally equipped to deal with them (Black Magic, Summons, whatever).

I hated how they did changing Jobs in the remake, because of the stupid "sickness" BS you got when you did it.

For me it was the other way around. I HATED having a limited amount of points with which to change jobs. Suffering a temporary penalty for changing jobs whenever I wanted was way better, I thought.

RPG's really do hate parents...I wonder why that is?

'Cos chances are, your parents, should they still be alive, would ground your ass if you've been out too long, or if you have been caught ransacking people's properties and being a nasty little cleptomaniac and wildlife butcher. Not much of a chance to save the world if you have to be back by dark.

(Is it possible to ground teenagers without them going off into incessant strops and making the parents' domestic life a living hell? My parents never tried that when I was a teenager, because I rarely go out and nor did I have much of a life anyway)

Though having said that, Lightning has a curfew in her latest game out of everyone else.

Plus the fact that her new God master depending on which game it is essentially makes her do chores anyway.

x2 post i am sorry

Top Bottom