• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AHAHAHAHA.

IT'S OVER. FINALLY.

*pours out bottle... for herself*

PVa8Jp3.png

I'd like to thank... the one dude who made me do the FF13 plat because he was all, "hey, let's do this thing", and I was all, "ok".
Then I'd like to thank ULTROS! who basically encouraged me to try to get through the FF13-2 platinum fast.
Then I'd like to thank Noi and Bean for putting up with my bullshit for the past three weeks with respect to this trophy run and understanding that I wouldn't let up on this trophy run because I'm incredibly stubborn and my OCD on this makes me want to plat it. And CrimsonCrescendo for wondering why everything is going on.

Somebody is forgetting the fact that you can be attacked by hilariously large groups of monsters in FF3, I see. Job switching differences or no, the NES version of FF3 is still an NES game. That final dungeon where you can't save for the length of 3 dungeons. Yeah that right there was something I was *so* sad to see them "ruin" in the remake.

AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN.
Dude why you gotta be down on some kid's parents.

NES games aren't bad. Why you gotta imply that they're bad?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You beat me. :(

Well then again, I had to prioritize the Dangan Ronpa plat.

How can I kill superboss
Ereshkigal
though? I'm having a hard time with him compared to
Aeronite

CorvoSol

NES games aren't bad. Why you gotta imply that they're bad?

It's not that they're bad. It's that they're sort of out-dated and if someone isn't looking for that "classic" taste, then they come across as clunky. The difference between classic and clunky in NES RPGs being, I feel, in some part in the eye of the beholder.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You beat me. :(

Well then again, I had to prioritize the Dangan Ronpa plat.

How can I kill superboss
Ereshkigal
though? I'm having a hard time with him compared to
Aeronite
He's easier than the other boss. It's the same principle: stagger them four times. The thing you have to keep in mind is that this boss is slow as fuck. It works slow, it can animate slow, it does a lot of stuff slowly. What you want to have is this as your setup:

Splendid Admiral/Quiet Guardian (Jammer/Defender) * start
Chaos's Revenge for quick stagger
Blasphemy (or upgraded shield of your choice on NG+)/Renegade if that's what you can afford
Crippling Hood (won from Chocobo Eater Omega ; you want it for Protect Thief; or if you need the extra defense, using the Preta Hood can't hurt but know that you will have your offense severely limited so in that case use this garb to only debuff)
That one accessory that increases the potency of healing items
Guard/Poison/Slow/Heavy Slash

L'Automne (Blaster)
Bonecracker or some staff if you want. The goal is to increase magic.
Gridanian Sigil
Falcon Charm (extra ATB speed)
Dawn Gauntlets (EP reduction) ; If you really want to, you could always equip this on the Splendid Admiral/Quiet Guardian and equip Sniper's Gloves here for extra damage at a range provided you stagger it beyond three staggers. It depends on if you want to play offensively/defensively
Thundara/Aerora/Deprotect/Imperil

Soldier of Peace / Equilibrium+ (Attacker)
Flesh Render
Noblesse Veronique or Il Nome Della Rosa, what you can afford; You could also equip Goddess's Grace if you feel like the latter isn't enough
Warrior Hunter's Mask for Brave Thief / extra strength
Enlister's Gloves (higher damage dealt to enemies at close range)
Shadowbind/Light Slash/Heavy Slash (for Artemis's Arrows for lol damage)/Thundara
Heavy Slash/Light Slash/Attack/Thundara (for Equilibrium+)

I mean, if you really want to, you could bring some Ethers, some X-Potions, some potions that give you bravery and a few Phoenix Downs.

Basically you want to open up with slow, then cast Thundara/Aerora chains to stagger. You can use Overclock to help you out with the staggers. Remember that when you have Heavy Slash on two garbs, but the most ideal thing to use it with is the Quiet Guardian since it has Chaos's Revenge. Whenever it buffs, you can use Heavy Slash to take away its buffs since you have the Buff Stealer abilities on. Then when you have the first stagger, you should avoid either being on the ground or tanking. That's why you have the light slash on one garb. It makes you airborne and just keep casting spells after light slash. Before it uses Grand Impulse, your stagger power increases so take advantage of the frame timing. It isn't that hard, but it takes some practice. After staggering it for the second time, cast poison immediately since it'll help. Take away its buffs and keep trying to stagger it while casting debuffs when its shield goes down. You could always use Artemis Arrow now if you'd like. But when you Overclock time it so you don't run into a Meteor.

If it uses Super Nova, you can use a Phoenix Down, but you should probably not get it to that point. Don't be afraid to splurge on Ethers. The final boss isn't as bad if you get the ultimate weapon/shield by comparison. Just take your time, tank, and replenish debuffs. Overclock can save your ass if you really want to use it.

That's why I didn't have a lot of hard times with it. You don't have to do it fast like the other boss. You can just take your sweet time with it until the final stagger. If you can't do it now, you could always wait until NG+ when you have higher stats and can upgrade your weapons. You will have to do another playthrough anyway to platinum it (or a partial one). Plus you'll get a chance to get another Chaos's Revenge on that one, and maybe another Flesh Render.

I think you beat me on the DR plat. That was mine before this one. Noi probably beat us both on the DR plat. :/

It's not that they're bad. It's that they're sort of out-dated and if someone isn't looking for that "classic" taste, then they come across as clunky. The difference between classic and clunky in NES RPGs being, I feel, in some part in the eye of the beholder.
...bro, no. :(

<----- is being old

And now you get to enjoy the eternal triple-platinum image of XIII-2's thumbnail looking sadly out of place.
It really does. It's one of my least favourite FF logos.

CorvoSol

...bro, no. :(

<----- is being old

It isn't that I couldn't enjoy the NES FF games. I went and played FF7 NES and got a kick out of that. It's more that I don't know that every single new comer can pick 'em up and really sink their teeth into 'em.

I've been playing P1 and DQ4 lately and I think a major problem that older RPGs face now is that there are a lot of menus to navigate. Modern RPGs don't make you navigate so many menus and try to keep the rules focused around a few central systems, whereas older RPGs often made use of many menus and numerous rules and mechanics. It's admirable because those menus allowed them to do much more than one might expect and those mechanics are like marveling at the stonework of the ancients, but much as modern man no longer wishes to spend a month hauling a granite brick from a quarry to a city so the Emperor's artist can spend half a decade sculpting his third wife from it, modern man may not have the time to spend learning the numerous rules and menus of the RPGs of the ancients.

It isn't that the games are bad, then, or poorly made, but that they were built for a different time. Not everyone is going to appreciate surrealist art and our world is removed from the world that spawned it, but that does not depreciate the worth of it, and one who truly wishes to may take the time to sit down and enjoy it if they so please.

Well, I'm playing the Final Fantasy NES for the first time and I can see why people wouldn't like it. Poison is a pain in the ass and reviving people is very tough until mid game.

But damn, I'm loving it. Certainly more than the Dawn of Souls version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
And I don't wanna play an NES RPG, no matter how "pretty" it looks.

No reason to put that pretty in quotes. The NES version of FF3 looks wonderful, it looks better than the remake. And the music's better, too (well, if you're not playing the PSP version).

But damn, I'm loving it. Certainly more than the Dawn of Souls version.

Try the PSX version, if you haven't, it's the best "compromise" between the original and the newer versions. It's my favorite version of the game.

CorvoSol

No reason to put that pretty in quotes. The NES version of FF3 looks wonderful, it looks better than the remake. And the music's better, too (well, if you're not playing the PSP version).
/QUOTE]

I don't even know how this comparison can really be made. They're two entirely different visual styles.

CorvoSol

Easy: one looks good, one not so much. Just because the style is different doesn't mean I can't prefer one over the other.

Disregarding the fact that I completely disagree that the remake doesn't look good, it's more about how one would say one looks better than the other. How does one gauge that when the difference in presentation is so radically different?

CorvoSol

You guys talking about FF III and I can't beat the last dungeon of this game. I hate that save system.

I used instant saves. Best advice I can give is that you should do Eureka, back track to the Airship, save, and then do it all again. That way you only wind up doing 3 dungeons instead of 4.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I guess this is only semi-related to this thread, but how come there's no Dragon Quest community thread? The series really deserves one.

Szadek

I know it's been said before but man that LR ending is so...soooo...weak. And super cheesy and I have seen some cheesy videogame endings.
I haven't seen something that unintentionally hilarious in a long time.
I'm mean
they defeat the final boss with a friendship beam and a friendship supernova.
I dare you to say "friendship supernova" with a straight face.

CorvoSol

I guess this is only semi-related to this thread, but how come there's no Dragon Quest community thread? The series really deserves one.

I've thought about it, too. I mean, I'm only on track to beat my like, 3rd mainline Dragon Quest, but you'd think Aeana would've started one a long time ago.

Levyne

Banned
Eh. Just too many large game series to have an active community thread on each. People have already found their circles I suppose.

Or nintendo is so doomed they can't even have a good community thread!

Jucksalbe

Banned
As much as I love Zelda, it's not a series I want to discuss on the internet, simply because of the way those threads usually turn out. To be fair, though, I haven't even looked at the community thread.

There's only so much you can discuss in a series community thread until the discussion eventually runs dry. Even in SonicGAF we recently fell into that trap until Sciz started with Song of the Day. And THAT had to stop because of a combo of computer problems and feeling burnt out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kinda weird how some Communities don't really survive. Like, how is the Zelda thread so dead?
Once all the timeline discussion stopped, then the thread died. I'm surprised it never even got bumped when ALBW came out. It was a good idea, and the GAF Plays Zelda thread in 2011 was one of my favourites that year.

Zelda threads basically do the same things FF threads do, though, so I'm not surprised.

There's only so much you can discuss in a series community thread until the discussion eventually runs dry. Even in SonicGAF we recently fell into that trap until Sciz started with Song of the Day. And THAT had to stop because of a combo of computer problems and feeling burnt out.
Yup. We discussed everything that we needed to discuss, but we all get along in that thread enough to talk about other stuff while still having something central to focus on. And we stream games for each other, and we talk to each other off of GAF in different ways anyway.

I was gonna start the speedrun thing this month until people said "March is too busy with games, try again later." lol. I kinda agree now, since I'm busy with some games too.

CorvoSol

Eh. Just too many large game series to have an active community thread on each. People have already found their circles I suppose.

Or nintendo is so doomed they can't even have a good community thread!

I think that's probably a large part of it. There's a Zelda thread almost every week in some way or another, so I suppose there's no need for people to seek a community for participation and discussion.

Once all the timeline discussion stopped, then the thread died. I'm surprised it never even got bumped when ALBW came out. It was a good idea, and the GAF Plays Zelda thread in 2011 was one of my favourites that year.

Zelda threads basically do the same things FF threads do, though, so I'm not surprised.

That'd be the other part of it, I suppose. Nintendo axed the Timeline discussion so now there's surprisingly little to talk about.

Kinda sad that Zelda threads turn out the way FF threads do, though, 'cuz I really don't think Skyward Sword was anywhere near as bad as folks say.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Kinda sad that Zelda threads turn out the way FF threads do, though, 'cuz I really don't think Skyward Sword was anywhere near as bad as folks say.

I really liked Skyward Sword, I even really liked the motion controls and thought they worked great. And it has some excellent dungeons. The story was great, too. The only things I didn't like about that game was the separated worlds (not as much exploration as earlier games) and some repetition, especially that one boss fight you have to do three times with slight variations. But overall, it's a wonderful game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Real talk: SS is one of my favourite 3D Zeldas next to Majora's Mask, and I think I had said that in my impressions of it in 2011. For the same reasons Jucksalbe said, too.

CorvoSol

I really liked Skyward Sword, I even really liked the motion controls and thought they worked great. And it has some excellent dungeons. The story was great, too. The only things I didn't like about that game was the separated worlds (not as much exploration as earlier games) and some repetition, especially that one boss fight you have to do three times with slight variations. But overall, it's a wonderful game.

The only complaints I had with the game were that Skyworld was too barren, the lower world wasn't interconnected, and I had to take that stupid bucket of water the long way up that mountain. Loved the rest of it. I thought the motion controls worked out splendidly, I LOVED the setting/story, and boss fights were engaging, even when they had me swearing under my breath.

Heropon

I don't think Skyward Sword and many other games are as hated as it seems by looking at random forums, NeoGAF included. It's just easier to talk about a game's negative points and voicing complaints. As a result of that, unless the game is almost universally acclaimed or it's only played by a tiny niche, the general perception will be less favourable than what people really think.

About my personal opinion, I generaly agree with the points that have been already made in this thread. I loved the controls even if there were a few moments where they frustrated me a little (forward thrust!) and the dungeons were great. It could have been better with less filler and when I saw that point addressed in ALBW I was the happiest person in the world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At the very least, I felt like Skyward Sword, as a closing game for the Wii, exemplified much of what the motion controls hoped to do at the beginning of the system's lifecycle. While Wii Sports served as a tech demo for what the system could do, and while Wii Sports Resort introduced refinements to it while taking into account the Wiimote+, SS actually implemented it in a decent way in an adventure game setting (ie: what we all thought the Wii was going to be like in 2005). While TP showed us waggle, SS showed us refinement and what motion controls can do for the player.

Granted, they still had limitations, but it's certainly a better implementation than TP's shoehorned controls.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Granted, they still had limitations, but it's certainly a better implementation than TP's shoehorned controls.

Well, of course, TP was still a Gamecube game at its core (and in reality), so all they could do is use the motion controls as a replacement for a button. But for what it was it worked fine.

Link's Awakening is still the greatest Zelda game ever

Ha, I guess like FF everyone has a different favorite Zelda game. Link's Awakening is great, and looking back it's amazing what this game and some others got out of that simple Game Boy hardware, but my favorite game is still A Link to the Past.

Top Bottom